ADVERTISEMENT

Brittney Griner sentenced to 9 years in Russian prison on drug charges

Traveling abroad isn’t something to be taken lightly.

scary. I could easily see somebody planting drugs on somebody to cause issues like this.

we go from “don’t check any bags” to “bring nothing but the clothes you are wearing”.

almost need a pre screening area before customs.
I used to travel to China quite a bit for work up until about 12 years ago. As you get off the plane and walk to the terminal, there are signs that say “firearm or drug possession punishable by death”. Good to know.

She should have watched an episode of Locked Up Abroad. Even watching that show gives me anxiety. Yikes.

Uuummmm, ahhh, Uumm, LOL! I guess you just skipped the parts about previous prison time for burglary and firearm possession by a felon?

This dude stepped up to the plate with 2 strikes and whiffed on a curveball. He gone.
Didn't skip anything at all. He wasn't serving life for those other crimes. He is serving life because he was caught with weed.

• Haha
Reactions: beanerhawk
That's 5 years less than the sentence for the teacher. You know, the teacher that the US (the last I heard) still isn't trying to get released.

The bad behavior of Russia aside, why is a basketball player more important to the US than a teacher?

It's pretty obvious why.

Do you really think this administration and it's media allies would be addressing and covering this if it was a conservative activist?

Well when you have an inept leader that negotiates so eagerly and quickly this is what happens. This is leverage from Russia to apply pressure on people that were offering the moon before anything was really known.
Good Lord.

9 years for less than a gram. That's fking insane.

one-gram-of-marijuana.jpg
I agree. It make her look even more stupid. Stupidity comes at a price. She is damn stupid and prolly entitled.

Well when you have an inept leader that negotiates so eagerly and quickly this is what happens. This is leverage from Russia to apply pressure on people that were offering the moon before anything was really known.
Wow. You are a snowflake.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Well....that's what Putin is...with nukes.

9 years....can't imagine what she's thinking right now.

"And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free."

0% chance she is in prison for any amount of time in the US. This is where we can point to an example, with all the faults our nation has, and say we are at lot better than that place.

Didn't skip anything at all. He wasn't serving life for those other crimes. He is serving life because he was caught with weed.
C'mon Dude. He's serving Life because of MULTIPLE convictions. It is that simple.

And much like Brittney Griner, it pays to know what the Laws are where you are located. She didn't, and he didn't (or they didn't care, and now they do).

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Reactions: HugeEddie
She should not get special preference. While the sentence is unfair and excessive, she took the risk and it cost her. Bottom line: stay away from Russia. I never had any desire to go there before they invaded Ukraine, so I definitely would not go there now. I would think that Russia's tourism industry is in the tank right now.
Russia tourism industry would be a one way ticket.

This story sort of blows up your claim. Let me know when he is released

Your linked story actually doesn’t blow up my claim.

The stories you are referring to are usually plea deals or they only charge they can make stick on a criminal the policy and DA feel needs to be behind bars. Have there been some cases, yes, but say our prisons are “full” of the same thing is a blatant lie.

Note that I was responding to @JMNSHO who stated, You guys know our jails and prisons are full of people who did the same thing, right? A link to one person, who had priors for burglary and unlawful possession of a firearm, is not the same as stating the US is locking up thousands (prisons full) of people for a small amount of weed.

Anyone ever been to Singapore? Chewing gum is illegal in Singapore. The fine is pretty steep too. Until the 1990s, long hair on men was also illegal. There was a barber’s chair at the airport and if your hair was too long, they cut it off.
Point being, we don’t get to tell other countries what their laws are and the punishments for breaking them. We also don’t get to violate those laws when we go there. Yes, I suppose it is still possible the cannabis oil was planted on her, but at this point it hardly matters. She had to be found guilty before a prisoner swap could be made. I doubt she misses more than one WNBA playoffs.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Your linked story actually doesn’t blow up my claim.

The stories you are referring to are usually plea deals or they only charge they can make stick on a criminal the policy and DA feel needs to be behind bars. Have there been some cases, yes, but say our prisons are “full” of the same thing is a blatant lie.

Note that I was responding to @JMNSHO who stated, You guys know our jails and prisons are full of people who did the same thing, right? A link to one person, who had priors for burglary and unlawful possession of a firearm, is not the same as stating the US is locking up thousands (prisons full) of people for a small amount of weed.
I think you’re missing my point. We certainly do lock people up for small amounts of weed maybe not for 9 years typically, but I assure you that possession of marijuana will land you behind bars in many places in this country. I have some experience with that.

My point is: what do we consider to be a reasonable sentence for her actions? She sure as hell would have been arrested for possession for doing the same thing in much of this country; what would be a reasonable sentence? Fcuk Russia, but we are such hypocrites with our own stupid drug war.

Anyone ever been to Singapore? Chewing gum is illegal in Singapore. The fine is pretty steep too. Until the 1990s, long hair on men was also illegal. There was a barber’s chair at the airport and if your hair was too long, they cut it off.
Point being, we don’t get to tell other countries what their laws are and the punishments for breaking them. We also don’t get to violate those laws when we go there. Yes, I suppose it is still possible the cannabis oil was planted on her, but at this point it hardly matters. She had to be found guilty before a prisoner swap could be made. I doubt she misses more than one WNBA playoffs.
Bubs has this under control. Google Indonesia and Aussie drug smugglers. A few have been executed.

It's a fascinating story mostly in that it really highlights casual bigotry.

I think you’re missing my point. We certainly do lock people up for small amounts of weed maybe not for 9 years typically, but I assure you that possession of marijuana will land you behind bars in many places in this country. I have some experience with that.

My point is: what do we consider to be a reasonable sentence for her actions? She sure as hell would have been arrested for possession for doing the same thing in much of this country; what would be a reasonable sentence? Fcuk Russia, but we are such hypocrites with our own stupid drug war.
I already gave my answer. Zero time behind bars here in the US would be appropriate. I travel all the time with my vape pen and cannabis oil in the US. I’m never stopped. But if I were, I’d produce my IA medical card. If I was still arrested or fined because the IA card does not apply to the start I’m in, I am willing to accept the consequences of my actions. I was debating whether or not to try and bring my own and cartridge on our trip to Mexico last May. Ultimately I decided against it. Not worth the risk. Either Brittany is dumb and didn’t process the ramifications of her actions or she decided the risk was worth it to pack her pen.

Reactions: JMNSHO
Anytime I leave the US, I figure prison terms are always a possibility. I then do everything to reduce the chances of that happening including having some ass clown plant shit in my luggage or some customs officer having a "bad day." People who are here for multiple generations don't realize how good you have it. That's the sad truth. Other countries range from sketch to you're going to get raped in a dark jail just cause. Be careful while traveling and don't travel to the shithole that is Russia.

Reactions: jimmy31O
Uuummmm, ahhh, Uumm, LOL! I guess you just skipped the parts about previous prison time for burglary and firearm possession by a felon?

This dude stepped up to the plate with 2 strikes and whiffed on a curveball. He gone.
He already did his time for those.

This is an offense that should never land people in jail.

One bad law doesn't justify another bad law.

Reactions: Tfxchawk
Anytime I leave the US, I figure prison terms are always a possibility. I then do everything to reduce the chances of that happening including having some ass clown plant shit in my luggage or some customs officer having a "bad day." People who are here for multiple generations don't realize how good you have it. That's the sad truth. Other countries range from sketch to you're going to get raped in a dark jail just cause. Be careful while traveling and don't travel to the shithole that is Russia.
...and that's why I never ( rarely ) leave the Tri-County... :)

• Love
Reactions: GOHOX69
C'mon Dude. He's serving Life because of MULTIPLE convictions. It is that simple.

And much like Brittney Griner, it pays to know what the Laws are where you are located. She didn't, and he didn't (or they didn't care, and now they do).

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Arrested for weed. Sentenced to life because he had weed.

Arrested for weed. Sentenced to life because he had weed.
You wanna keep your head in there, more power to ya, I guess. The smell and lack of breathing would bother most people, but Free Country and all.

One of the irritating things on Lib TV has been the argument that she did not have a choice but to go to Russia due to pay inequity in men's and women's sports. She has a $1 million per year deal with Nike.
None of which changes the fact that she is a political prisoner. Take lesbian and black out of the equation and the folks clapping at the sentence would be howling for her return.
https://www.essentiallysports.com/n...-the-lgbtq-community-it-was-really-important/

ADVERTISEMENT