ADVERTISEMENT

Brody Grothus

HIWILLE

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Sep 12, 2005
Last thread I started on Brody I believe it went 13 pages. :)

Anyway, for you guys that don't subscribe to the lounge, Brody will be at the Midlands 100% only if he stays healthy till then. His weight is down to 141 now and on target. IMO would not be surprised he only went a couple matches and take it slow up to Big Tens. Now... hope I'm wrong as I would love to see him win it all like all of us, but wrestling 4 or 5 matches in two days might be asking for to much that soon. We shell see.

Anyway, for you guys that don't subscribe to the lounge, Brody will be at the Midlands 100% only if he stays healthy till then. His weight is down to 141 now and on target. IMO would not be surprised he only went a couple matches and take it slow up to Big Tens. Now... hope I'm wrong as I would love to see him win it all like all of us, but wrestling 4 or 5 matches in two days might be asking for to much that soon. We shell see.
Good news, thanks.

Hate to have to be "that guy" but...

This is an interesting sentence. "Brody will be at the Midlands 100% only if he stays healthy till then." I think it means that Brody will wrestle at the Midlands if he stays healthy between now and then and is still 100%. Or it could mean Brody will be at the Midlands if he is 100% (and implying he is not exactly 100% right now) and that he has to stay healthy as well.

Hate to have to be "that guy" but...

This is an interesting sentence. "Brody will be at the Midlands 100% only if he stays healthy till then." I think it means that Brody will wrestle at the Midlands if he stays healthy between now and then and is still 100%. Or it could mean Brody will be at the Midlands if he is 100% (and implying he is not exactly 100% right now) and that he has to stay healthy as well.

As opposed to being there 50%? Is his upper body the only thing making the trip?

I don't know about anyone else, but I am having a hard time keeping my excitement and expectations for this team under control. seems like we are building slowly evan some weights we were worried about are showing signs of life. those big powerhouse teams out east might be getting alittle worried about this little upstart out in southeast iowa, if they had any sense, but to early to be talkin crap.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I don't know about anyone else, but I am having a hard time keeping my excitement and expectations for this team under control. seems like we are building slowly evan some weights we were worried about are showing signs of life. those big powerhouse teams out east might be getting alittle worried about this little upstart out in southeast iowa, if they had any sense, but to early to be talkin crap.

Never to early to be talking crap...........see Mike T for instructions and Jammenz for Photo lessons.

Tarp, those numbers help to demonstrate the kind of difference that a healthy and effective Grothus could make at 141. A high-AA finish for Brody would surpass OSU and pretty much erase the gap with PSU. Throw in an AA at 285 and a few points from 157, and we're in pretty good shape. Obviously way too early to be predicting team point totals, but this team does have the makings of a national title. Work to do, for sure, but the firepower is there if things work out for Brody at 141.

Wasdt21, talking crap about your team is the American way, handed down from father to son, generation to generation. I even have my daughter doing it, she still needs some work but she's only 8. Fire away, all we can do is laugh at how crazy you are. Iowa in title contention, that's a good one! By the way, I don't have a daughter, just thought it would sound better if I said that.

Had to do my crap post first and now the real one, Iowa is in the running but not the favorite. If Grothus does something at National which he hasn't yet would really help. If PSU shows up at Nationals and stays healthy it won't make a difference for all of us. OSU will score most of their points from 3 NC (Heil, Dieringer, Crutchmer), add a few AA, close. Gilman is the real deal but a loaded weight, Clark isn't the same Clark so far,141/157/165 not much there. Stoll is coming along, maybe something there by end of season. Sorenson will be in finals, I would put 174/184 in the same basket, will they wrestle to there level or falter at Nationals? One weight (184) loaded, the other (174) has a lot of question marks, sort of like 141. I think Heil is starting to separating himself from the pack.

Last edited:
i'm not as sold on pst as others are, but I was skeptical of oh st last year so what do I know.

Had to do my crap post first and now the real one, Iowa is in the running but not the favorite. If Grothus does something at National which he hasn't yet would really help. If PSU shows up at Nationals and stays healthy it won't make a difference for all of us. OSU will score most of their points from 3 NC (Heil, Dieringer, Crutchmer), add a few AA, close. Gilman is the real deal but a loaded weight, Clark isn't the same Clark so far,141/157/165 not much there. Stoll is coming along, maybe something there by end of season. Sorenson will be in finals, I would put 174/184 in the same basket, will they wrestle to there level or falter at Nationals? One weight (184) loaded, the other (174) has a lot of question marks, sort of like 141. I think Heil is starting to separating himself from the pack.

Mike-
Are you contractually obligated to make "crap" posts? OR is it an "inner voice" type of thing?
Vall

While I agree that PSU is the team to beat, there is a lot of wrestling left. And seeing Brody wrestle at 141 would be nice.

Interesting how you anoint Crutchmer and diss Meyer. I don't see any difference in the 2. They are at the very same level - a toss up.

far as I can tell cory clark always in a funk this time of year at his worst still a semi finalist no worries. yes heil has really caught my attention but we are going to fly dziewa in to teach brody how to beat him.

Tarp, those numbers help to demonstrate the kind of difference that a healthy and effective Grothus could make at 141. A high-AA finish for Brody would surpass OSU and pretty much erase the gap with PSU. Throw in an AA at 285 and a few points from 157, and we're in pretty good shape. Obviously way too early to be predicting team point totals, but this team does have the makings of a national title. Work to do, for sure, but the firepower is there if things work out for Brody at 141.

It is interesting to look at intermat and see where you think each wrestler for PSU/OSU/IA will end up at the end of the year as opposed to where they are ranked.
125 - I don't see Klimara placing this year, Mag and Gillman could flip flop, but seems reasonable
133 - Clark seems fair, Conaway I have a hard time seeing AA, OSU accurate
141 - Heil, only way to go is down. Guilibon at 6 is still very questionable so far, we hopefully will get something out of Grothus. No surprise, but this is where a big swing could happen, up for us, down for the others.
149 - PSU/IA 1 and 2 - I could see Collica making a AA run. He hasn't looked great this year, but may be getting weight under control. Know he is capable.
157 - Nolf - seems reasonable. I could see both Marstellar and Cooper scoring better than ranked. Marstellar could be way higher if he could get his gas tank under control.
165 - PSU could get more out of 65 than currently expected. Others same.
174 - I hate to say this and may catch some heat because he was a favorite of mine last year, but i think we have the biggest risk at this weight. Crutch is solid, Nikal is solid, and I just don't see Meyer finishing 3rd. I think we lose ground here.
184 - I think all three can improve from current rank. I think Sammy has the highest ceiling.
197 - I think both PSU and IA have chance to slip just a tad.
HWT - I think Marsden will finish lower than 4 and Fat Sammy (that's actually a sandwich name from somewhere, drawing a blank right now) definitely will score more than current rank.

OSU - 3 Lower, 5 Same, 3 Higher
PSU - 3 Lower, 6 Same, 2 Higher
IA - 2 Lower, 4 Same, 4 Higher
Cornell, Va Tech, MO, OSU all have solid teams. March will be fun.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
With Grothus at 141 Iowa is neck and neck with Penn State.

I think Okie State and Ohio State are a step behind.

I wish Grothus was a little better at scoring bonus points, but it is hard to be critical of a guy making a significant cut and scoring points at what was a dead weight without him. I honestly don't see anyone at 141 that Grothus can not beat. I think Grothus will out score Meyer.

Top 3 guys- Gilman, Clark, Sorenson,

Top 5- Grothus, Burak, Meyer

Top 8- Brooks

Qualifers- Stoll (if he gets a couple of consi wins and by pin, those points will be big), Cooper, Paddock.

I'd put Brooks in the top 4. I don't see anyone at 184 he can't beat, including Dean, and I think Stoll has a decent shot at AA. I'm still pretty optimistic about Cooper; he has the talent to make the podium, his gas tank is looking better, and he seems to be gaining confidence. Heck -- even Rhoads just went toe-to-toe with a highly ranked guy. He's a tough kid. Hoping he makes a run in March.

So I'd say:

Top 3: Gilman, Clark, Sorensen

Top 5: Brooks, Burak, Meyer, Grothus (pending his return, health, etc.)

Top 8: Stoll

R12: Cooper (still holding out hope for AA)

Qualifier: Rhoads

Wasdt21, talking crap about your team is the American way, handed down from father to son, generation to generation. I even have my daughter doing it, she still needs some work but she's only 8. Fire away, all we can do is laugh at how crazy you are. Iowa in title contention, that's a good one! By the way, I don't have a daughter, just thought it would sound better if I said that.
Your obviously not CREDITABLE.... you lied Mike.

Reactions: mike tognetti
Meyer is going to have to do more to get me to feel comfortable with predicting a top 5 finish. Can't dig yourself into a hole at NCAAs. Needs to start getting to his offense.

Meyer is going to have to do more to get me to feel comfortable with predicting a top 5 finish. Can't dig yourself into a hole at NCAAs. Needs to start getting to his offense.
Yeah, he does. Been a bit perplexing at this point. Know he's got the goods, just gotta pull the trigger. Kids got moxie though, that's for damn sure.

Mike-
Are you contractually obligated to make "crap" posts? OR is it an "inner voice" type of thing?
Vall

While I agree that PSU is the team to beat, there is a lot of wrestling left. And seeing Brody wrestle at 141 would be nice.
I just don't know why I do it, it just feels right. I bring just a little to the board, no credibility, no homer attachment to Iowa, a foreigner in a strange land.
Interesting how you anoint Crutchmer and diss Meyer. I don't see any difference in the 2. They are at the very same level - a toss up.
Here is where I differ, Crutchmer can score about anytime he wants and Meyer isn't there. Crutchmer cruises every match and does just enough to win and it will cost him during the season unless he corrects it in the next 3 weeks. Come Nationals he will be ready for 7 min. and not many guys can hang with him then.

If you read my post I said it was actually going to be close with Marinelli winning. Since they never meet than I'm not wrong correct?;)
Hey Cowpoke--
Not only are you wrong---you are clueless! Marinelli would make Sheets look silly. And although the transitive property doesn't equate in wrestling, it's good fortune they didn't wrestle yesterday because you would have had to eat more crow.
I've got that the Hawks at Nationals you have the Cowpokes, even with a Jo Jo Smith redshirt pulled.
Good Luck

It is interesting to look at intermat and see where you think each wrestler for PSU/OSU/IA will end up at the end of the year as opposed to where they are ranked.
125 - I don't see Klimara placing this year, Mag and Gillman could flip flop, but seems reasonable
133 - Clark seems fair, Conaway I have a hard time seeing AA, OSU accurate
141 - Heil, only way to go is down. Guilibon at 6 is still very questionable so far, we hopefully will get something out of Grothus. No surprise, but this is where a big swing could happen, up for us, down for the others.
149 - PSU/IA 1 and 2 - I could see Collica making a AA run. He hasn't looked great this year, but may be getting weight under control. Know he is capable.
157 - Nolf - seems reasonable. I could see both Marstellar and Cooper scoring better than ranked. Marstellar could be way higher if he could get his gas tank under control.
165 - PSU could get more out of 65 than currently expected. Others same.
174 - I hate to say this and may catch some heat because he was a favorite of mine last year, but i think we have the biggest risk at this weight. Crutch is solid, Nikal is solid, and I just don't see Meyer finishing 3rd. I think we lose ground here.
184 - I think all three can improve from current rank. I think Sammy has the highest ceiling.
197 - I think both PSU and IA have chance to slip just a tad.
HWT - I think Marsden will finish lower than 4 and Fat Sammy (that's actually a sandwich name from somewhere, drawing a blank right now) definitely will score more than current rank.

OSU - 3 Lower, 5 Same, 3 Higher
PSU - 3 Lower, 6 Same, 2 Higher
IA - 2 Lower, 4 Same, 4 Higher
Cornell, Va Tech, MO, OSU all have solid teams. March will be fun.
Fat Sam is from Fletch

So he's 50% of the way to his goal. Got his weight down, now what about his wrestling abilities? He's missed a lot of mat time. Hope he shakes the rust off.

Just looking ahead here a bit in reference to the dual against the Goofs. If BG is in the lineup and with the progression of Big Sam... could the Hawks pitch a shutout. Man, would that be funny!

Just looked at the Goof forum... and Gopher fans doing what Gopher fans do... basically blaming the ref for the loss to Indiana(yes Indiana). Saying he missed an illegal hold which resulted in Brancale getting stuck again. Good entertainment.

Last edited:
Reactions: andegre
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT