ADVERTISEMENT

Brody starting for Hawks BB in OMA today

Gave up two runs in the first.
The young man can really bring it but until he develops better control he won't help the Hawks much. I have seen him pitch several times and his control is lacking.

The young man can really bring it but until he develops better control he won't help the Hawks much. I have seen him pitch several times and his control is lacking.
He Needs to pick baseball or football. He is an also ran in our weak WR room (but by all accounts an athletic freak) and he doesn't have the control to go with his speed in baseball. If telling people he was an incredible dual sport athlete is his goal, he is on a great track. If playing professionally is his goal, he needs to perfect 1 craft.

• Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
He Needs to pick baseball or football. He is an also ran in our weak WR room (but by all accounts an athletic freak) and he doesn't have the control to go with his speed in baseball. If telling people he was an incredible dual sport athlete is his goal, he is on a great track. If playing professionally is his goal, he needs to perfect 1 craft.
Truth :(

The young man can really bring it but until he develops better control he won't help the Hawks much. I have seen him pitch several times and his control is lacking
Yep, throwing 97 mph isn't valuable unless you are in the strike zone more often than not.

That said, he is still young. More college experience should help him develop more control and confidence on the mound. I still think he can pull off playing both sports at Iowa. I hope he sticks with it because if it came down to just one sport, from what I've read I believe he would choose baseball.

Reactions: Torg
Yep, throwing 97 mph isn't valuable unless you are in the strike zone more often than not.

That said, he is still young. More college experience should help him develop more control and confidence on the mound. I still think he can pull off playing both sports at Iowa. I hope he sticks with it because if it came down to just one sport, from what I've read I believe he would choose baseball.
He could do both well, but you'll never be your best at anything when you're not 100% all in on it.
Playing Iowa fball was a dream of his, so can't blame him!

He could do both well, but you'll never be your best at anything when you're not 100% all in on it.
Playing Iowa fball was a dream of his, so can't blame him!
I've never heard anyone claim he is less than 100% committed to both. The two sports don't overlap except for Spring football practice and both coaches have accommodated his schedule.

I've never heard anyone claim he is less than 100% committed to both. The two sports don't overlap except for Spring football practice and both coaches have accommodated his schedule.
Pretty sure the announcer during the game specifically stated he had less experience and less innings on his arm because of being involved with both.

Either way, most football players prep year round...

13-1 smh I hope they really did cheat because 13-1 is quite the tail beating… spanking us in baseball like football post season.. 😡
FWIW, we played Michigan five times. Won three out of five. Sad that Michgan has to stoop so low as doctoring the baseball. In college no less. A testimonial to win at all cost mentality at Meechigan.

• Angry
Reactions: natchrlman
That's funny he seems to be getting closer to his full potential focusing solely on fball. When did he supposedly tell you this?
Well he was named the best player in college football and was a 1st round pick in the MLB draft. So he was great in both sports. I’m guessing the $35M contract that is mostly guaranteed is better than playing single A baseball for a $12K salary.

Reactions: FWIW4922463
Well he was named the best player in college football and was a 1st round pick in the MLB draft. So he was great in both sports. I’m guessing the $35M contract that is mostly guaranteed is better than playing single A baseball for a $12K salary.
So you don't think he's continued improving even more since going pro?

Michigan's best bball player was also a fball player. Elite athletrs can do both just like Bo. They just won't reach their full potential. If you want to try to argue that then keep going lol

FWIW, we played Michigan five times. Won three out of five. Sad that Michgan has to stoop so low as doctoring the baseball. In college no less. A testimonial to win at all cost mentality at Meechigan.
They hire some classy coaches up there ..

So you don't think he's continued improving even more since going pro?

Michigan's best bball player was also a fball player. Elite athletrs can do both just like Bo. They just won't reach their full potential. If you want to try to argue that then keep going lol
The argument wasn’t about reaching full potential it was about being great which Kyler Murray was. Was Bo Jackson not great?

As far as the baseball goes , He throws upper 90s and has the type Body and athleticism the Scouts like , every team has a pitch lab to fix Guys , happens all the time, He will get drafted . .

Michigan pitcher was ejected for a substance on his glove in case you didn't see the game. I don't know that I've ever seen that in a college game. (Granted my college baseball viewing is very limited to almost exclusively postseason games)
I did not see the game, thanks.

Michigan pitcher was ejected for a substance on his glove in case you didn't see the game. I don't know that I've ever seen that in a college game. (Granted my college baseball viewing is very limited to almost exclusively postseason games)
He is suspended four games now.

Reactions: BBHawk
Buck Showalter, the long-time MLB manager and currently head man of the Mets, said again earlier this spring he always prefers baseball players who are multisport athletes. He's not the first or only person in a similar position to hold this opinion. Playing different sports provides a variety of competitive perspectives and athletic challenges. It also helps avoid getting burned out. The world produced some pretty amazing players in all sports long before the largely successful attempts to force players to play ONE sport all year round, year after year. There is a point of diminishing returns. If you're good enough to play more than one sport at any level, I think you should. So does Buck Showalter, FWIW.

Buck Showalter, the long-time MLB manager and currently head man of the Mets, said again earlier this spring he always prefers baseball players who are multisport athletes. He's not the first or only person in a similar position to hold this opinion. Playing different sports provides a variety of competitive perspectives and athletic challenges. It also helps avoid getting burned out. The world produced some pretty amazing players in all sports long before the largely successful attempts to force players to play ONE sport all year round, year after year. There is a point of diminishing returns. If you're good enough to play more than one sport at any level, I think you should. So does Buck Showalter, FWIW.
There is truth to that. The context to Showalter's comments is for younger guys as they are developing. It's also true that if you are going to be as good as you can at a sport (as a pro or college athlete) then at some point you need to focus on 1. For Brecht, does that need to happen now? I'm not wise enough to know the answer.

The baseball/football or baseball/basketball guys at Iowa have not worked out for quite some time now. Connor McCaffery's foray into baseball went largely nowhere. I'm not saying it can't be done at the college level, but once you get into college the time you are not in the off-season program for that sport is time you are not getting better in that sport. Brecht has million dollar+ potential on the mound. I get chasing the dream of playing football, but at some point you have to choose.

There is truth to that. The context to Showalter's comments is for younger guys as they are developing. It's also true that if you are going to be as good as you can at a sport (as a pro or college athlete) then at some point you need to focus on 1. For Brecht, does that need to happen now? I'm not wise enough to know the answer.

The baseball/football or baseball/basketball guys at Iowa have not worked out for quite some time now. Connor McCaffery's foray into baseball went largely nowhere. I'm not saying it can't be done at the college level, but once you get into college the time you are not in the off-season program for that sport is time you are not getting better in that sport. Brecht has million dollar+ potential on the mound. I get chasing the dream of playing football, but at some point you have to choose.
CMac's issues were more injury related I believe, although maybe thats partly because he didn't have much off season recovery time. I think thats the main issue with two sport athletes in D1. Someone like Ben Kueter coming in who wants to both wrestle and play football. I know we've had a couple of guys do that, but its going to be a tough road.....

Reactions: natchrlman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT