ADVERTISEMENT

Brooks to PSU

What does that give PSU...the 11th, 12th, and 13th ranked high school wrestlers for next year...and a couple top 10 already lined up from the 2019 class. Not to worry though cause Iowa has the 21st and 62nd for next year, and no commitments yet for 2019 (weak sarcasm). It's going to be really difficult to knock PSU off the throne when they're stacking the deck each year. With the way Cael's bringing them in, it's going to take a few national champs and another 5 or 6 on the podium to even have a chance to bring home the gold for the foreseeable future. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Last edited:
It's going to be tough to overcome the 2018 class from PSU.

It's going to be tough to overcome the 2018 classes from both PSU and tOSU. They're bringing in the big guns every year and we're not. That's a problem. I'd be happy with our current situation if our 2018 and 2019 commits looked anything like PSU or tOSU, or even Iowa State's. But they don't...so we're relegated to 3rd to 5th for at least the next 3-4 years...and it drives me insane!!

Reactions: D3wrestler
What does that give PSU...the 11th, 12th, and 13th ranked high school wrestlers for next year...and a couple top 10 already lined up from the 2019 class. Not to worry though cause Iowa has the 21st and 62nd for next year, and no commitments yet for 2019 (weak sarcasm). It's going to be really difficult to knock PSU off the throne when they're stacking the deck each year. With the way Cael's bringing them in, it's going to take a few national champs and another 5 or 6 on the podium to even have a chance to bring home the gold for the foreseeable future. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Just to end your hope and relieve that stress. Iowa and everyone else us f####d. We are stuck watching a dynasty getting even better than it already is. They will never have a hole in the future. We need five top p4p guys or close to it. We are at a disadvantage working within the rules...or perceived rules.

Just to end your hope and relieve that stress. Iowa and everyone else us f####d. We are stuck watching a dynasty getting even better than it already is. They will never have a hole in the future. We need five top p4p guys or close to it. We are at a disadvantage working within the rules.

I'm not really smart on all the rules, but we certainly need to find a way to work through the obstacles if we want to compete for the top spot in the foreseeable future...

I'm not really smart on all the rules, but we certainly need to find a way to work through the obstacles if we want to compete for the top spot in the foreseeable future...

I'm not either, but holy shit. These guys have to be wrestling for nothing or very little unless there is a slush fund. I hate giving their board ammo with the slush fund excuse.

Just to end your hope and relieve that stress. Iowa and everyone else us f####d. We are stuck watching a dynasty getting even better than it already is. They will never have a hole in the future. We need five top p4p guys or close to it. We are at a disadvantage working within the rules...or perceived rules.
How exactly are tOSU and Penn State working outside the rules that you just suggested? Curious to what you are specifically referencing in your statement.

How exactly are tOSU and Penn State working outside the rules that you just suggested? Curious to what you are specifically referencing in your statement.
reaching out early.
Offering them club money on recruiting trips.
Overpaying summer camps with club money.
Using burner phones to reach out to recruits earlier and more often than they are suppose to.
Unwarranted academic scholarships.
Just to name a few tactics

reaching out early.
Using burner phones to reach out to recruits earlier and more often than they are suppose to.
but flo said all these kids parents are rich and can afford to take less ship $. They believe this because they can afford to travel to all the big tournaments in high school...LOL!

Going through the 2019 classes who are some of the TOP targets and/or needs? I assume Murin/Lugo go 149, Kemerer/Marinelli move up and/or Nelson fills in (57-74 covered). Who are the top people in the country at the weights below, can come in, make an impact like Lee, Kemerer, Marinelli.....

125-Lee
133- Need?
141- Need?
149-Murin/Lugo
157- Kemerer ? or NEED?
165- Marinelli/Kemerer
174-Marinelli/Brands
184-Need
197-Warner
HWT-Cass

The worm must turn. Vodka, get back to work.

I thought Flo had taken over the research. They were the ones to mention last summer that they're being told by D1 coaches that things are going on. CP tweeted #cheatersquitcheating. They said more stuff would probably be coming out soon. Haven't heard anything about it since. In the Kevin Dresser interview, I think it was Nomad who brought up NCAA compliance in the sport of wrestling. Dresser said it's not taken seriously like it is in other sports.

I have no idea if any team is cheating. All I know is that the way NCAA compliance is set up, there is a massive conflict of interest by the schools having to self report any violations by their own school. The NCAA needs to have audits and independent compliance. Also the way many bylaws are written are too vague and open to manipulation. Especially now that regional training centers are becoming a significant aspect of college wrestling programs.

Going through the 2019 classes who are some of the TOP targets and/or needs? I assume Murin/Lugo go 149, Kemerer/Marinelli move up and/or Nelson fills in (57-74 covered). Who are the top people in the country at the weights below, can come in, make an impact like Lee, Kemerer, Marinelli.....

125-Lee
133- Need?
141- Need?
149-Murin/Lugo
157- Kemerer ? or NEED?
165- Marinelli/Kemerer
174-Marinelli/Brands
184-Need
197-Warner
HWT-Cass

Murin is 141. We should have two years of Lugo at 149 and Wilke at 184. Biggest needs are:

149,157 depending on what weight Brands goes and 184. Wilson did have a nice RS season at 184, if he can make a leap or two he might solve that issue.

Murin is 141. We should have two years of Lugo at 149 and Wilke at 184. Biggest needs are:

149,157 depending on what weight Brands goes and 184. Wilson did have a nice RS season at 184, if he can make a leap or two he might solve that issue.

Per Tom, thought Murin even pushing 149 status given his growth? Regardless, 133, 141/149, 157, 184. Who are the Top P4P wrestlers out there at those weights, assuming we will go strong in these weights for 2019?

reaching out early.

Reaching out early - according to Mr. Brooks, Iowa did not reach out at all, so I guess ANY contact is early over here

Offering them club money on recruiting trips. - not really specific what you are referring to but I'm going with the NLWC after graduation angle that you love. I'll ask for the 30th time (and it will again go unanswered) - exactly which PSU wrestler that is not a multiple time AA has been a paid resident athlete at the NLWC to date? I mean even Jon Gingrich got a RTC gig at Pitt - exactly who is PSU offering these gigs to that aren't going to find a home at multiple RTCs if they want?

Overpaying summer camps with club money. - Please educate yourself on the amount of camps that PSU runs and the amount of expenses that are incurred at them. Fairly simple to do - you could put Vodka on it. And anyone that does this and has more than two brain cells will quickly deduce that nobody is getting rich as a camp counselor in the summer.

Using burner phones to reach out to recruits earlier and more often than they are suppose to. - OK, I'm chalking this one up to a misunderstanding as the Brands might not be aware that there things like cell phones, texts, instagrams, etc., yet. They might be unaware that there ARE allowable times to contact a recruit by something called a "cell phone.";)

Unwarranted academic scholarships - probably the most laughable one of the bunch, especially when you consider PSU vs. some of their competitors (tOSU for example with their OOS academic scholarship program available to ALL students). Getting academic aid at PSU as a freshman for any student is about as hard as getting into Princeton. Most academic awards are given to students AFTER their freshman year and they are highly competitive. There was exactly ONE PSU wrestler that received academic aid last season. Zain Retherford (3.72gpa, Academic AA), Jason Nolf (Academic AA) would be your guess, right? Incorrect. The only PSU wrestler receiving an academic award last year's name is Devon Van Cura (4.0 student, Chemistry scholarship). You are better off going down the financial aid road with that accusation, although again, the facts won't be on your side as PSU's financial aid grants are among the lowest in the nation as a percentage of need. Most PA residents that are fairly good students are likely to find it as cheap to attend tOSU as OOS students as it is for them to attend PSU in-state. PSU's financial aid office sucks, to be frank.

There are also multiple public examples of PSU wrestlers NOT getting full scholarships (Nevills - top 10 recruit - publicly stating that he gets 60%, Suriano's dad supposedly PO'd because Nick missed out on scholly money because he missed the postseason last year, Megaludis giving up his scholly SR year for the team - his family is well off. Verkleeren publicly stating that he was going as a walk-on because he wanted to be at PSU and earn a scholly). But don't let that stand in the way of your tantrum.

Last edited:
Reaching out early - according to Mr. Brooks, Iowa did not reach out at all, so I guess ANY contact is early over here

Offering them club money on recruiting trips. - not really specific what you are referring to but I'm going with the NLWC after graduation angle that you love. I'll ask for the 30th time (and it will again go unanswered) - exactly which PSU wrestler that is not a multiple time AA has been a paid resident athlete at the NLWC to date? I mean even Jon Gingrich got a RTC gig at Pitt - exactly who is PSU offering these gigs to that aren't going to find a home at multiple RTCs if they want?

Overpaying summer camps with club money. - Please educate yourself on the amount of camps that PSU runs and the amount of expenses that are incurred at them. Fairly simple to do - you could put Vodka on it. And anyone that does this and has more than two brain cells will quickly deduce that nobody is getting rich as a camp counselor in the summer.

Using burner phones to reach out to recruits earlier and more often than they are suppose to. - OK, I'm chalking this one up to a misunderstanding as the Brands might not be aware that there things like cell phones, texts, instagrams, etc., yet. They might be unaware that there ARE allowable times to contact a recruit by something called a "cell phone.";)

Unwarranted academic scholarships - probably the most laughable one of the bunch, especially when you consider PSU vs. some of their competitors (tOSU for example with their OOS academic scholarship program available to ALL students). Getting academic aid at PSU as a freshman for any student is about as hard as getting into Princeton. Most academic awards are given to students AFTER their freshman year and they are highly competitive. There was exactly ONE PSU wrestler that received academic aid last season. Zain Retherford (3.72gpa, Academic AA), Jason Nolf (Academic AA) would be your guess, right? Incorrect. The only PSU wrestler receiving an academic award last year's name is Devon Van Cura (4.0 student, Chemistry scholarship). You are better off going down the financial aid road with that accusation, although again, the facts won't be on your side as PSU's financial aid grants are among the lowest in the nation as a percentage of need. Most PA residents that are fairly good students are likely to find it as cheap to attend tOSU as OOS students as it is for them to attend PSU in-state. PSU's financial aid office sucks, to be frank.

But don't let that stand in the way of your tantrum.

Do you suspect Brooks to be one of those academic aid qualifiers?

Do you suspect Brooks to be one of those academic aid qualifiers?
I have no idea of Aaron Brooks academic qualifications, but read above. It would be highly unlikely.

I do suspect that he isn't getting a 100% athletic award to go there, but will have a chance to earn more if he starts AAing or winning NCs. Being the athlete that he is, I would also suspect that he is pretty confident in his ability to do so.

I am also unaware of his family's financial situation which would impact the athletic award. Contrary to bbwrestler's previous statement, this does impact the award for sports other than football and basketball. And this is not just a guess. My significant other's son is a wrestler at an EIWA school. He has no out of pocket expenses. But she did have to fill out a FAFSA and submit it to the school's FA department (didn't HAVE to, but did upon request to help the team) so that the aid he qualified for did not count towards their 9.9. Kind of complicated process, but I can tell you first hand that it is completely above board with the NCAA.

Another aside. We are very close friends with a family whose son was a two-time PA state champ and a ranked recruit. He wanted to wrestle in the B10. So he chose a 50% scholarship at MARYLAND. His mother wasn't happy about it. But he went there, wrestled, and graduated and never got a dime more than 50%.

Last edited:
Dice- You seem to have a pretty good understanding how their breakdown works. So based on your inside info, everyone here averages around .5 average. And suspect I am missing some on here.....(took Zain and McCutcheon off as they are done). This has never been done in the history of the sport, you can see why this raises some eyebrows, right?

Brady Berge
Anthony Cassar
Jered Cortez
Mark Hall
Vincenzo Joseph
Nick Lee
Mason Manville
Nick Nevills
Bo Nickal
Jason Nolf
Shakur Rasheed
Jerod Verkleern
Brody Teske
Teasdale
Beard
Seth Nevills
RBY
Joe Lee
Aaron Brooks

Dice- You seem to have a pretty good understanding how their breakdown works. So based on your inside info, everyone here averages around .5 average. And suspect I am missing some on here.....(took Zain and McCutcheon off as they are done). This has never been done in the history of the sport, you can see why this raises some eyebrows, right?

Brady Berge
Anthony Cassar
Jered Cortez
Mark Hall
Vincenzo Joseph
Nick Lee
Mason Manville
Nick Nevills
Bo Nickal
Jason Nolf
Shakur Rasheed
Jerod Verkleern
Brody Teske
Teasdale
Beard
Seth Nevills
RBY
Joe Lee
Aaron Brooks
Manville is on a ROTC scholarship so no athletic aid.
Cortez was a transfer, which usually has an impact on offers.
Cassar and Rasheed were both walk-ons, who I doubt have earned any money besides money available to regular students. (May not be 100% correct on Rasheed, but I would guess he was not getting a lot if any to start with).
Verkleeren is a walk-on.
Nick Lee and Joe Lee both moved to PA one year ahead of time, I would guess to qualify for in-state tuition until a time they can earn more money.
Brooks and Beard won't be there until 2019.
There also is a rumor around about Hall taking a significant discount as they are pretty well off.

All just guesses except the ones like Manville and Verkleeren who have stated this publicly, since nobody has access to that info unless they want you to have it, but I would guess I'm not too far off. Hope that helps.

Yes, I can see why it raises eyebrows, but not everybody looks all that deep into it. But even PSU runs into problems with the 9.9. There were rumors about it with the Suriano transfer, and I have also heard some conjecture about a recruit that may be holding out for more money.

Last edited:
Another anecdote:

We had a local wrestler who was a national recruit and had a full scholarship to a B10 school and committed there. Late in the game, he got another offer, significantly less, but he took it, as he wanted to follow his dream and wrestle on the big stage at a school he was a fan of growing up. Great kid (man now, but I'm old so I still think of him as a kid) who was very helpful in giving advice when my significant other's son was making his choice.

Guess what school he took less to go to? IOWA.

It stands to reason that the school that has won 6 out of the last 7 championships and is putting multiple guys on the top of the stand every year is probably a place that a lot of the elite of the elite wrestlers are big fans of nowadays. If Iowa crowned five NCs last year, I doubt anyone would be bitching about Brands 2019 recruiting.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that Brooks will be their future 184 lber. And Carter Starocci could be a PSU target for 174 post-hall. With Joe Lee taking over 165 post-Joseph.
157- Nolf
165- Joseph (J.Lee RS)
174- Hall
184- Nickal
197- Rasheed/Cassar
285- N.Nevills

157- Berge
165- Joseph (J.Lee Bench)
174- Hall (Starocci RS)
184- Brooks
197- Beard
285- S.Nevills

157- Berge
165- Lee
174- Starocci
184- Brooks
197- Beard
285- S.Nevills

Maybe something like that for PSU's upper half. Manville could also factor in 165/174 in 2021 I suppose.

Reactions: kevin310
Another anecdote:

We had a local wrestler who was a national recruit and had a full scholarship to a B10 school and committed there. Late in the game, he got another offer, significantly less, but he took it, as he wanted to follow his dream and wrestle on the big stage at a school he was a fan of growing up. Great kid (man now, but I'm old so I still think of him as a kid) who was very helpful in giving advice when my significant other's son was making his choice.

Guess what school he took less to go to? IOWA.

It stands to reason that the school that has won 6 out of the last 7 championships and is putting multiple guys on the top of the stand every year is probably a place that a lot of the elite of the elite wrestlers are big fans of nowadays. If Iowa crowned five NCs last year, I doubt anyone would be bitching about Brands 2019 recruiting.
Josh Dziewa?

I'm assuming that Brooks will be their future 184 lber. And Carter Starocci could be a PSU target for 174 post-hall. With Joe Lee taking over 165 post-Joseph.
157- Nolf
165- Joseph (J.Lee RS)
174- Hall
184- Nickal
197- Rasheed/Cassar
285- N.Nevills

157- Berge
165- Joseph (J.Lee Bench)
174- Hall (Starocci RS)
184- Brooks
197- Beard
285- S.Nevills

157- Berge
165- Lee
174- Starocci
184- Brooks
197- Beard
285- S.Nevills

Maybe something like that for PSU's upper half. Manville could also factor in 165/174 in 2021 I suppose.

FOUL.

PSU future lineups are the domain of a cat that goes by the name of El Jefe.;)

(But I suspect you are not far off. Rumor has it that Sanderson was in the Erie area recently in regards to Starocci).

ADVERTISEMENT