ADVERTISEMENT

Brooks to PSU

piss st boys go away we don't need you here, your just trying to hard we all know your cheating, but that's ok as long as you win'

Reactions: DirkTang1
I really don't understand why this is so hard for my fellow hawk fans to comprehend. Cael can out-recruit Morningstar. That is no knock on Morningstar, but the head guy and the face of the program needs to be the guy doing the heavy lifting in recruiting. And he needs to work the recruiting aspect relentlessly. Brooks gave his verbal before we even said hi. I think that's ridiculous.

I agree, I’m sick of hearing about these alleged recruiting violations especially after Brooks’ dad came on here and said Iowa never reached out. We are talking about a world champ at a need weight and the staff didn’t reach out. Any conspiracy regarding scholarship improprieties does not apply to this situation.

JEEZ, can we all be honest for just a minute!?!?! Diceman, listen guy. no offense, but really??? Please go take this garbage someplace else!!!

We all can clearly see that they are playing games and I am guessing sooner or later it will come crashing down!

They received a large amount of $$$$$ and they are using it to buy Wrestlers PERIOD! Do you honestly think kids who worked most of their lives to achieve greatness and their parents who also must have put in a lot of time and money. They are going to throw away 50+K a year when many other very good programs would be offering full rides?

Minny and Iowa St. are down right now, but both have history and both are trying to build for example. Plus do not forget the matter of pride in getting rewarded for all your work in earning a Full Ride!

IF the NCAA is going to allow it? Then what is stopping others from doing the same? For example. What if there was a Wall Street Tycoon who happened to be a Wrestler and Grad from a school(I will use Hofstra because I am from LI NY)

Say said Billionaire offered 100 Million to build a Wrestling facility with his name(Super Rich guy Jones) on it and build a Dynasty! I say OK. I offer Kyle Snyder, David Taylor, and Zain Retherford 100K ea. to coach on my staff! Free Grad tuition, ALL expenses paid, plus camps, clinics, posters, T-shirts etc...

Bonuses for every championship you win too! Then we offer EVERY P4P top guy a FULL RIDE!!! (we have 9.9 to work with) We then let it be know to guys like Spencer Lee, Gable Stevenson, and the likes. If you would consider transferring here is our offer.

FULL paid college, 5K for making starting line up. Extra 10k for making AA. Extra 25K for NC!!! PLUS camps, Clinics and a club team with same deal as above guys!!!

Far fetched? See SMU Football! Right now it is an un-level playing field. NO different from PED in my opinion! So for everyone else it is. Find away to do the same, or make the NCAA crack down!

I would love to hear the reasoning for Iowa not reaching out to this kid, as per his dad Iowa did not reach out. I'm sure there is a reason they never reached out but what could it be? These are the types of things that gets frustrating to hear as we continue to be 1 or 2 guys short. Just image the Iowa team this year with Mark Hall at 174. Flip him to Iowa and see where the favorite to win a title is.

Before you even go saying whining on HR, most of our respected posters haven’t said anything on this thread. I don’t recognize half of the posters.
I don't think there is much whining on this thread by Hawk fans. Some actively engaging in discussion. A couple of jokes, which is all good on the home board. One guy asserting violations who has repeatedly done this in the past without backing it up with even a shred of evidence, or even logic behind his assertions. The gong he loves to bang.

First, Brooks is from Hagerstown MD, which is maybe 20 minutes from the PA border. I live the next county over, in Frederick MD. Northern MD has a ton of PSU fans- you see about the same number of PSU bumper stickers as UMd. Not surprising that MD kids look to PSU. Heck, if the Brooks wanted in-state tuition, they could hop across the border while he was at the OTC and qualify. You have to be state residents for a year to qualify...

The funny thing to me is how all these star wrestlers are willing to take a scholarship discount because they come from "rich" families, but pro athletes (who are in many cases worth hundreds of millions) won't take a discount to help a teams cap. I'm not saying guys aren't doing this is wrestling, I'm just questioning their judgement.

And the number of "rich" college elite wrestlers apparently does not come close to resembling the general population. Quite a statistical anomaly.

Who says they all come from "rich" families? All three of the examples I used above - including the Iowa example - come from families that are at best middle class working families financially. At best.

People don't need to be rich to sacrifice for their children.

With the amount of people that profess to not understand this over here, I would have to say that there are a large number of posters who are not parents, or that a culture of "tough love" must be more prevalent in Iowa than in the rest of the nation.

Reaching out early - according to Mr. Brooks, Iowa did not reach out at all, so I guess ANY contact is early over here

Offering them club money on recruiting trips. - not really specific what you are referring to but I'm going with the NLWC after graduation angle that you love. I'll ask for the 30th time (and it will again go unanswered) - exactly which PSU wrestler that is not a multiple time AA has been a paid resident athlete at the NLWC to date? I mean even Jon Gingrich got a RTC gig at Pitt - exactly who is PSU offering these gigs to that aren't going to find a home at multiple RTCs if they want?

Overpaying summer camps with club money. - Please educate yourself on the amount of camps that PSU runs and the amount of expenses that are incurred at them. Fairly simple to do - you could put Vodka on it. And anyone that does this and has more than two brain cells will quickly deduce that nobody is getting rich as a camp counselor in the summer.

Using burner phones to reach out to recruits earlier and more often than they are suppose to. - OK, I'm chalking this one up to a misunderstanding as the Brands might not be aware that there things like cell phones, texts, instagrams, etc., yet. They might be unaware that there ARE allowable times to contact a recruit by something called a "cell phone.";)

Unwarranted academic scholarships - probably the most laughable one of the bunch, especially when you consider PSU vs. some of their competitors (tOSU for example with their OOS academic scholarship program available to ALL students). Getting academic aid at PSU as a freshman for any student is about as hard as getting into Princeton. Most academic awards are given to students AFTER their freshman year and they are highly competitive. There was exactly ONE PSU wrestler that received academic aid last season. Zain Retherford (3.72gpa, Academic AA), Jason Nolf (Academic AA) would be your guess, right? Incorrect. The only PSU wrestler receiving an academic award last year's name is Devon Van Cura (4.0 student, Chemistry scholarship). You are better off going down the financial aid road with that accusation, although again, the facts won't be on your side as PSU's financial aid grants are among the lowest in the nation as a percentage of need. Most PA residents that are fairly good students are likely to find it as cheap to attend tOSU as OOS students as it is for them to attend PSU in-state. PSU's financial aid office sucks, to be frank.

There are also multiple public examples of PSU wrestlers NOT getting full scholarships (Nevills - top 10 recruit - publicly stating that he gets 60%, Suriano's dad supposedly PO'd because Nick missed out on scholly money because he missed the postseason last year, Megaludis giving up his scholly SR year for the team - his family is well off. Verkleeren publicly stating that he was going as a walk-on because he wanted to be at PSU and earn a scholly). But don't let that stand in the way of your tantrum.

^^ Mic drop!!

Reactions: 91Joe95
You have a link to the data on PSUs summer camp expenses and how much their camp counselors are paid? I wasn't aware this was public info. Would love a link.
No, there is no "link" to an internet posting stating what PSU counselors are paid. However, since you seem to have a lot of spare time on your hands, you could do what I have done and do a little research.

You could use this thing called google to find the NLWC tax returns and get that camp expense number which is public.

You could use it again to gather all the information about NLWC camps that are being run - where (some are as far as GA, one was in IA last year), the amount of campers, the length, whether room and board was required, etc.

You could make some pretty well educated guesses on the expenses that must be incurred if you are familiar with them like I am, or you could make a phone call to someone who would be able to do this easily. Things like facility fees, housing (if applicable), board (most times applicable), insurance per event, technician fees (not counselor fees), incidentals like camp T-shirts, etc.

You could add all them up and then estimate the number left over against the amount of counselors likely needed to staff these camps.

You are likely to deduce from this that the market rate, even on the high side, for a camp counselor is not something that you want to do for a living. But I'll leave that up to you.

Reactions: Hotshoe
The funny thing to me is how all these star wrestlers are willing to take a scholarship discount because they come from "rich" families, but pro athletes (who are in many cases worth hundreds of millions) won't take a discount to help a teams cap. I'm not saying guys aren't doing this is wrestling, I'm just questioning their judgement.

And the number of "rich" college elite wrestlers apparently does not come close to resembling the general population. Quite a statistical anomaly.
You are forgetting or twisting a number of things here. First, noone goes into wrestling for the money or a chance at professional fame. Second, financial decisions for recruits are usually made by the parents, not by the wrestler. Many wrestling parents have been paying $1000s for camps, tourneys, private coaching. Many just want what is best for their son, and will (continue to) sacrifice for it. Isn't really the same in my opinion as the pro athlete salcap example (which is also influenced by agents, other players who want the salaries to always grow, etc.). Noone is saying that the wrestlers are taking less money for the good of the team. But maybe the parents are taking less money for the good of their son. Huge difference. Related, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if the family of the average college wrestler is better off than the average college hoops player, for example.

Personally, I think this discourse is insulting to the athletes and their families. Many, many parents, perhaps most, especially in the wrestling community, would gladly take a 2nd job if it meant their son could follow their dreams. There were 5 sets of PSU's parents who were not regretting their choice, no matter what it cost them, last March. Maybe it didn't cost them anything because they were compensated by the slush fund. Or maybe they and their sons saw the dozens of PSU team and individual celebrations over the last 10 years and said "we want to be part of that, no matter what it costs".

Maybe PSU is cheating. But the answer above is far more likely in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sullivan
JEEZ, can we all be honest for just a minute!?!?! Diceman, listen guy. no offense, but really??? Please go take this garbage someplace else!!!

We all can clearly see that they are playing games and I am guessing sooner or later it will come crashing down!

They received a large amount of $$$$$ and they are using it to buy Wrestlers PERIOD! Do you honestly think kids who worked most of their lives to achieve greatness and their parents who also must have put in a lot of time and money. They are going to throw away 50+K a year when many other very good programs would be offering full rides?

Minny and Iowa St. are down right now, but both have history and both are trying to build for example. Plus do not forget the matter of pride in getting rewarded for all your work in earning a Full Ride!

IF the NCAA is going to allow it? Then what is stopping others from doing the same? For example. What if there was a Wall Street Tycoon who happened to be a Wrestler and Grad from a school(I will use Hofstra because I am from LI NY)

Say said Billionaire offered 100 Million to build a Wrestling facility with his name(Super Rich guy Jones) on it and build a Dynasty! I say OK. I offer Kyle Snyder, David Taylor, and Zain Retherford 100K ea. to coach on my staff! Free Grad tuition, ALL expenses paid, plus camps, clinics, posters, T-shirts etc...

Bonuses for every championship you win too! Then we offer EVERY P4P top guy a FULL RIDE!!! (we have 9.9 to work with) We then let it be know to guys like Spencer Lee, Gable Stevenson, and the likes. If you would consider transferring here is our offer.

FULL paid college, 5K for making starting line up. Extra 10k for making AA. Extra 25K for NC!!! PLUS camps, Clinics and a club team with same deal as above guys!!!

Far fetched? See SMU Football! Right now it is an un-level playing field. NO different from PED in my opinion! So for everyone else it is. Find away to do the same, or make the NCAA crack down!

I'm guessing you were retweeting those clips of the refs patting Brady on the back last week furiously...

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Hotshoe
Who says they all come from "rich" families? All three of the examples I used above - including the Iowa example - come from families that are at best middle class working families financially. At best.

People don't need to be rich to sacrifice for their children.

With the amount of people that profess to not understand this over here, I would have to say that there are a large number of posters who are not parents, or that a culture of "tough love" must be more prevalent in Iowa than in the rest of the nation.

You saw me put "rich" in quotes right? I was pointing out why would all these college wrestlers wrestle below their value and not take guaranteed full rides at other schools? Pro athletes don't take discounts even when many of them are making many millions of dollars.

Yes, I know your answer is going to be they want to wrestle for Cael and winning national team titles.

Reactions: SDHN2013
You are forgetting or twisting a number of things here. First, noone goes into wrestling for the money or a chance at professional fame. Second, financial decisions for recruits are usually made by the parents, not by the wrestler. Many wrestling parents have been paying $1000s for camps, tourneys, private coaching. Many just want what is best for their son, and will (continue to) sacrifice for it. Isn't really the same in my opinion as the pro athlete salcap example (which is also influenced by agents, other players who want the salaries to always grow, etc.). Related, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if the family of the average college wrestler is better off than the average college hoops player, for example.

Personally, I think this discourse is insulting to the athletes and their families. Many, many parents, perhaps most, especially in the wrestling community, would gladly take a 2nd job if it meant their son could follow their dreams. There were 5 sets of PSU's parents who were not regretting their choice, no matter what it cost them, last March. Maybe it didn't cost them anything because they were compensated by the slush fund. Or maybe they and their sons saw the dozens of PSU team and individual celebrations over the last 10 years and said "we want to be part of that, no matter what it costs".

Maybe PSU is cheating. But the answer above is far more likely in my opinion.

Yeah b/c PSU is the only place an elite Mark Hall type of athlete can win an NCAA title right? *Rolls eyes*

Reactions: SDHN2013 and HawkFT
NCAA recruiting is a nasty slimy business any way you slice it. I truly miss the days when the best coach (Dan Gable) won the most championships. Now its the best recruiter (Carl) winning most frequently.

What really changed is the skill level of high school wrestlers today. I miss guys like Whitmer who sat on the bench for years honing his craft and eventually becoming a champion.

All this hate on Penn State because they are bringing in top notch recruits one after another. You guys don't see how smart Carl is lining things up in Happy Valley with having guys take a year to train at RTCs until scholly money opens up and is available. I would be willing to take on an extra 20k a year in debt if it meant contending for 4 team titles on top of my individual goals. The staff at Penn State is top notch (as are a few other institutions, but realistically Penn State has the best college staff there is right now. That will change over time, though) as well so there is almost nothing to detract one from wanting to go there. Don't cry foul just because Iowa isn't competing right now. Even in a "rebuilding year" the Hawks have moved back into team trophy territory. Why don't we celebrate the successes of the programs rather than look enviously at what other teams have going on right now. Green is not a good color for Iowa, so stop wearing it so boastfully.

Reactions: dbldoofus
You saw me put "rich" in quotes right? I was pointing out why would all these college wrestlers wrestle below their value and not take guaranteed full rides at other schools? Pro athletes don't take discounts even when many of them are making many millions of dollars.

Yes, I know your answer is going to be they want to wrestle for Cael and winning national team titles.
I would think that you can admit that the pro dynamic is very different than a kid selecting a college. Pros are generally adults making decisions about making themselves and their children and grandchildren financially secure in the future in the examples you are talking about.

Kids making decisions on college are usually guided by parents who can be motivated by their children's interests rather than their own.

And if you think that college selection is not a choice that is more than just a financial decision for many, many students, not just athletes, you have your head in the sand.

Reactions: hlstone
NCAA recruiting is a nasty slimy business any way you slice it. I truly miss the days when the best coach (Dan Gable) won the most championships. Now its the best recruiter (Carl) winning most frequently.

What really changed is the skill level of high school wrestlers today. I miss guys like Whitmer who sat on the bench for years honing his craft and eventually becoming a champion.

For me (looking through black and gold glasses) this sums it up best in your first paragraph. We got to see Cael first hand as an athlete and a coach. Pretty hard to comprehend him (seeing his personality- which is less than awe inspiring) being on par with Gable the coach, so makes all of this pretty tough to comprehend. Cael is no Dan Gable, John Smith, J Rob or Tom Brands. Maybe more of a Joe Seay...:)--- couldn't resist there!

Reactions: hawkeyeinboise
No, there is no "link" to an internet posting stating what PSU counselors are paid. However, since you seem to have a lot of spare time on your hands, you could do what I have done and do a little research.

You could use this thing called google to find the NLWC tax returns and get that camp expense number which is public.

You could use it again to gather all the information about NLWC camps that are being run - where (some are as far as GA, one was in IA last year), the amount of campers, the length, whether room and board was required, etc.

You could make some pretty well educated guesses on the expenses that must be incurred if you are familiar with them like I am, or you could make a phone call to someone who would be able to do this easily. Things like facility fees, housing (if applicable), board (most times applicable), insurance per event, technician fees (not counselor fees), incidentals like camp T-shirts, etc.

You could add all them up and then estimate the number left over against the amount of counselors likely needed to staff these camps.

You are likely to deduce from this that the market rate, even on the high side, for a camp counselor is not something that you want to do for a living. But I'll leave that up to you.

Are you really going to go at me from the arrogant and condescending tone? Not sure you want to use PSU's 990 as evidence that they're not paying excessively for camps. I've looked at both Iowa's and PSU's and compared last summer. Their 990 is one of the reasons people are making accusations regarding camp pay to begin with.

Here's the raw data that is publicly available:

Nittany Lion Wrestling Club:
Organization's Mission: SUPPORT & PROMOTE AMATEUR WRESTLING BY CONDUCTING WRESTLING CAMPS, TOURNAMENTS AND CLINICS.

Purpose of Expenses: SKILLED WRESTLING INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED AT THE CAMPS, CLINICS AND TOURNAMENTS CONDUCTED BY THE CLUB.

(Notice it says nothing about athletes competing internationally or supporting their freestyle/greco athletes. It explicitly says this money if for camps, clinics and tournaments CONDUCTED by the club).

Expenses: $613,867
Revenue: $0 ($0 revenue for wrestling camps?)

Hawkeye Wrestling Club:
Organization's Mission: SINCE ITS INCEPTION IN 1973 THE FOCUS OF HAWKEYE WRESTLING CLUB HAS ALWAYS BEEN TO PROVIDE THE TRAINING, COACHING AND RESOURCES NECESSARY TO HELP OUR ATHLETES PURSUE THEIR DREAMS OF BECOMING WORLD AND OLYMPIC CHAMPIONS THE MONEY RAISED GOES DIRECTLY TO BENEFIT THE ATHLETES HELPING WITH LIVING EXPENSES, TRAINING, AND TRAVELING NEEDS.

Purpose of Expenses: THE ORGANIZATION SUPPORTED TEN WORLD CLASS WRESTLERS DURING THEIR TRAINING IN PURSUIT OF OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALS AND WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Expenses: $384,487
Revenue: $255,661

So, HWC states that it's expenses are for funding all of the athletes in their club and paying for their training. The NLWC 990 states that those 613k worth of expenses are for wrestling camps and clinics.

Now, again, I'm not making any claims that his is evidence that PSU is cheating. However, the raw data in the only public info I can find on PSU camp pay is very questionable. Why are they paying 613k for camps and earning no revenue? Could be that the person filing the 990 worded it very poorly and the description doesn't accurately match the purpose of the club. Could be that the 990 doesn't require an accurate or specific purpose. Could be that the auditing of a club like this by both the IRS and NCAA is essentially non-existent. I don't have answers, but I have questions.

Last edited:
For me looking through (black and gold glasses) this sums it up best in your first paragraph. We got to see Cael first hand as an athlete and a coach. Pretty hard to comprehend him (seeing his personality- which is less than awe inspiring) being on par with Gable the coach, so makes all of this pretty tough to comprehend. Cael is no Dan Gable, John Smith, J Rob or Tom Brands. Maybe more of a Joe Seay...:)--- couldn't resist there!
He does seem like a wet napkin, but he has built a machine that is attracting the right type of recruits which in today's top heavy ecosystem is #1 thing you can do as a college coach to have the best team possible.

All this hate on Penn State because they are bringing in top notch recruits one after another. You guys don't see how smart Carl is lining things up in Happy Valley with having guys take a year to train at RTCs until scholly money opens up and is available. I would be willing to take on an extra 20k a year in debt if it meant contending for 4 team titles on top of my individual goals. The staff at Penn State is top notch (as are a few other institutions, but realistically Penn State has the best college staff there is right now. That will change over time, though) as well so there is almost nothing to detract one from wanting to go there. Don't cry foul just because Iowa isn't competing right now. Even in a "rebuilding year" the Hawks have moved back into team trophy territory. Why don't we celebrate the successes of the programs rather than look enviously at what other teams have going on right now. Green is not a good color for Iowa, so stop wearing it so boastfully.

What's to like about Penn State? I can't stand them.

The skill level of today's blue chippers is off the charts better than they were in the Gable days.

Would love to see the data on the number of Freshmen/true Freshmen AAs from the 80s and 90s compared to today.

Spencer Lee, Ryan Deakin, Nick Lee, Drew Mattin, Hayden Hidley, Marinelli, Ben Darmstadt...just a few freshmen who will all at least AA this year.

PSU's recruits: RBY, Teasdale, Brooks, Verkleeran, Berge, Manville, Nevilles,
Every one of those kids can will probably will AA their freshmen year, and I thought that before they ever committed to PSU.

Reactions: TarpHawk
He does seem like a wet napkin, but he has built a machine that is attracting the right type of recruits which in today's ecosystem is #1 thing you can do as a college coach to have the best team possible.

Thank you, was searching for the right words, perfect! Sending TnT some Better Homes and Garden material now to soften them up!

Are you really going to go at me from the arrogant and condescending tone? Not sure you want to use PSU's 990 as evidence that they're not paying excessively for camps. I've looked at both Iowa's and PSU's and compared last summer. Their 990 is one of the reasons people are making accusations regarding camp pay to begin with.

Here's the raw data that is publicly available:

Nittany Lion Wrestling Club:
Organization's Mission: SUPPORT & PROMOTE AMATEUR WRESTLING BY CONDUCTING WRESTLING CAMPS, TOURNAMENTS AND CLINICS.

Purpose of Expenses: SKILLED WRESTLING INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED AT THE CAMPS, CLINICS AND TOURNAMENTS CONDUCTED BY THE CLUB.

(Notice it says nothing about athletes competing internationally or supporting their freestyle/greco athletes. It explicitly says this money if for camps, clinics and tournaments CONDUCTED by the club).

Expenses: $613,867
Revenue: $0 ($0 revenue for wrestling camps?)

Hawkeye Wrestling Club:
Organization's Mission: SINCE ITS INCEPTION IN 1973 THE FOCUS OF HAWKEYE WRESTLING CLUB HAS ALWAYS BEEN TO PROVIDE THE TRAINING, COACHING AND RESOURCES NECESSARY TO HELP OUR ATHLETES PURSUE THEIR DREAMS OF BECOMING WORLD AND OLYMPIC CHAMPIONS THE MONEY RAISED GOES DIRECTLY TO BENEFIT THE ATHLETES HELPING WITH LIVING EXPENSES, TRAINING, AND TRAVELING NEEDS.

Purpose of Expenses: THE ORGANIZATION SUPPORTED TEN WORLD CLASS WRESTLERS DURING THEIR TRAINING IN PURSUIT OF OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALS AND WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Expenses: $384,487
Revenue: $255,661

Now, again, I'm not making any claims that his is evidence that PSU is cheating. However, the raw data in the only public info I can find on PSU camp pay is very questionable.

Good start with this. I'm not sure what revenue has to do with this (it doesn't), although I'm sure that incoming revenue is accounted for somewhere on their tax documents.

Compare Iowa's expenses to PSU's expenses. Now compare the amount of camps and clinics the NLWC runs and the types of camps they run. And where they run them. Like I said, NLWC runs them all over the place, including camps/clinics for their associated youth program. Maybe you should be complaining about the HWC not running enough camps. Although I will admit that having a bigger war chest is helpful in this area as many camps are run to support and grow wrestling (with the PSU brand being promoted of course).

The Giant is bigger, badder and even more intimidating now. ... Does Iowa want to raise its game to be No. 1 again, or wait for PSU to fall? I'd say the Hawks are on the right track ... Iowa has some legit p4p guys in-house and on the way (Lee, Soren, Kem, Marinelli, Warner, Cass) ... add 2-3 more legit p4pers, get the legit in-staters, and you don't have to slay the giant - you BECOME the giant. Hawks are headed in the right direction.

It seems like people are not grateful for what they have, but instead like to complain about what they do not have.

Iowa has a great program. Iowa has great coaches who mold young boys into fine men. Iowa has great fans who love wrestling. It would be so wonderful to live in a place around people who like wrestling and want to talk wrestling. Iowa is the bench mark of wrestling.

Iowa doesn't have the financial backing some other schools have. They are not the heavily favored team every year.

Enjoy your blessings you have or complain about what you don't have - the choice is yours.
I like our coaches I love living in Iowa. No way would I live in PA and no way would I wear those really ugly singlets and I am not even fashion conscience. Why do we need this long discussion. ☺

For me (looking through black and gold glasses) this sums it up best in your first paragraph. We got to see Cael first hand as an athlete and a coach. Pretty hard to comprehend him (seeing his personality- which is less than awe inspiring) being on par with Gable the coach, so makes all of this pretty tough to comprehend. Cael is no Dan Gable, John Smith, J Rob or Tom Brands. Maybe more of a Joe Seay...:)--- couldn't resist there!

I always thought one of the lures of Gable was that he was so soft spoken and seemingly shy in front of a microphone. It made his persona even greater and made him seem wise. It was like he could call you grasshopper and you would think you were a Shalin monk.
Cael and John Smith have that to a degree.
Brands and J Rob, not so much. I am not saying they aren't great coaches, just pointing out a difference in their styles.

It is hard to argue that Gable isn't or wasn't the best coach of all time. It is equally hard to argue that Cael isn't a great coach and probably the best coach currently. It is easy to say it is the recruits, but someone has those guys wrestling fearlessly and that is quite an accomplishment.

You haven’t been around many specialized elite youth athletes and parents very much. I’ve seen parents blow 10k+ on just 10u soccer and baseball. “Statistical anomaly” is a misnomer in this context. People routinely spend this kind of coin for multiple travel teams, club dues, private lessons, hotels, food, gas, airplane tickets, etc, etc

Now imagine if you are top 10 elite as a junior/senior. A 1/4, 1/3, or maybe a 1/2 scholarship become readily acceptable to most elite athletes/parents

No, "We all" can't. A few guys who have a hard time accepting the fact that they are getting the brakes beat off them in recruiting, branding, marketing, and understanding the importance of these things have come up with a convenient excuse for why they can't land the same amount of blue chip talent.

Do you honestly think a difference of 1/2 scholarship (15 grand or so) a year would be the deciding factor to guys like David Taylor or Mark Hall...whose families relocated across the country not once, but twice while they were younger just to further their wrestling career? Think about that.

Exactly...history. Ask the top 25 p4p kids in the nation who Royce Alger, the Banach Brothers, Jeff McGinnes or TJ WIlliams are...then go ask them who David Taylor, Kyle Dake, Quentin Wright and Tony Ramos are. Since the time this years crop was in Middle School (2010) Iowa has had (I think) 6 individual NCAA Champs. Penn State has had 17. Which of those two programs do you think they equate with success?

Exactly...which is why you see this happening all over the country right now....right?

Far fetched? See SMU Football! Right now it is an un-level playing field. NO different from PED in my opinion! So for everyone else it is. Find away to do the same, or make the NCAA crack down![/QUOTE]
My favorite part as it is a perfect example of how out of touch some people can be, you use a football scandal from 1987 to demonstrate how Penn State must be cheating in 2018 as if nothing in recruiting, culture, or college athletics has changed in 30 years. This perfectly illustrates total lack of understanding of the current dynamics of college athletics. Aaron Brook's father said Iowa had never contacted him, Mark Hall said very early on that he wasn't interested in Iowa, look at every top 25 p4p kid's top 5 when they release them and see how man Iowa is in relative to tOSU and PSU. Look at the situations with Schwab, Zadick, Metcalf, Ramos, all leaving Iowa under "weird" circumstances, 3 of which have been pretty well documented on Flo. Do you think that helps your recruiting? The Gilman stunt at NOC got huge attention for a week. How do you think that played with potential recruits' parents? Look at social media and see how Kyle Snyder, DT, and others have loads of material out there...compare that to a Gilman or Dennis. Which do you think a HS kid would be more familiar with?

Iowa doesn't have a money problem, it has a marketing problem.
While most of your fans are aware of this and it appears the Brands have come around and our now actively trying to fix it, some of your fan base needs to catch up. Crying cheaters every time another program lands a big recruit definitely isn't helping.

No, "We all" can't. A few guys who have a hard time accepting the fact that they are getting the brakes beat off them in recruiting, branding, marketing, and understanding the importance of these things have come up with a convenient excuse for why they can't land the same amount of blue chip talent.

Do you honestly think a difference of 1/2 scholarship (15 grand or so) a year would be the deciding factor to guys like David Taylor or Mark Hall...whose families relocated across the country not once, but twice while they were younger just to further their wrestling career? Think about that.

Exactly...history. Ask the top 25 p4p kids in the nation who Royce Alger, the Banach Brothers, Jeff McGinnes or TJ WIlliams are...then go ask them who David Taylor, Kyle Dake, Quentin Wright and Tony Ramos are. Since the time this years crop was in Middle School (2010) Iowa has had (I think) 6 individual NCAA Champs. Penn State has had 17. Which of those two programs do you think they equate with success?

Exactly...which is why you see this happening all over the country right now....right?

I didn't really read this but . . . it has been proven time and time again that there is no link between $$$$ and NCAA athletic success.

I like our coaches I love living in Iowa. No way would I live in PA and no way would I wear those really ugly singlets and I am not even fashion conscience. Why do we need this long discussion. ☺

Certain people on this board are having trouble dealing with the reality that Iowa is now the 3rd or 4th best wrestling team in the country. While understandable given Iowa's history, it's unfortunate those fans can't deal with reality a little more constructively.

The facts are that Iowa is being out recruited and out coached right now. There is no grand conspiracy.

I honestly don't care that Brooks is headed to PSU ... it makes sense at this point and best of luck to him. I do care about losing Thomsen and Teske. I will care if we don't get Schriever, and other Iowa studs in the future. I know we get recruits from all over, including PA, but Iowa can't let it's legit HS studs get away.

Teske was not a loss, we don't need a 125 pounder.

This recruiting disparity is real, and it's not just PSU, and it's not the responsibility of HR posters or Flo to solve it. It's Tom Brands' responsibility. He is paid to win championships. He's either up to the task or he's not. Whatever Cael and Ryan are doing, they are doing it better. Figure it out or step aside.

As for Brooks, we didn't even contact him. I don't know why. It seems like dumb move, but again, it's not my job, it's Tom's. All he has to do for people to stop questioning his tactics is to win a title.

Yeah b/c PSU is the only place an elite Mark Hall type of athlete can win an NCAA title right? *Rolls eyes*
No but it sure seems like the most likely place these days. Maybe he also liked the international caliber wrestling partners. Maybe he also liked the variety of degrees. Maybe he also liked the dual meet atmosphere. Maybe he also liked the other big game sporting event atmospheres on campus. Maybe he also liked the campus. Maybe he also liked the coaching staff. Or maybe its all about the money *rolls eyes*

Don't recruit the guys you know you can afford? At least most of us?

That’s a losers mentality. Never know when a guy will decommit or transfer out to open up more scholarship money. You also never know if a guy like Verkleeren will come for basically nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT