ADVERTISEMENT

Bryson DeChambeau

Feb 9, 2013
I don’t follow golf anymore, but seems like this guy is always in the news for something. Douchebag? Misunderstood? What’s the deal?

Here he’s trying to get a drop because he saw an ant or two.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
He had some issues of being filmed a while back while playing in a tournament. He gave the cameraman shit and the following week his caddy did the same which is incredibly laughable (considering his profession and how he makes money)

I know of him but know very little about him personally. Let me guess. Grew up an entitled rich boy on the finest CC in town perhaps?

Am I close to accurate or did he grind during his childhood on public links?

That was “Dave Hillesque”. If you ever wanted to see a player work golf rules officials, Dave Hill might have been the King. He was a helluva golfer to.
One year I attended a PGA rules seminar in Colorado and many of the speakers included PGA rules guys. One official talked about Hill, playing Sunday morning, playing well ( not contending but moving up the money prize list) hit a ball in the fairway. However, the mower mowing around a irrigation head, missed a spot and Hill’s ball was in unmoved, wet grass. Hill wanted a drop and it was denied. Then Hill, in front of the official, took his club, turned it over and addressed the bal left-handed. Doing so, he was standing on the irrigation head. He then claimed interference and asked for a free drop. It was granted. He then addressed the ball right handed...and a playing partner objected. Hill claimed the drop altered the decision on how to play the shot and he decided to play it right handed...and it is the player’s decision on how he/she wants to play their shot. The official agreed with Hill and allowed him to play the shot as he wanted.
Sometimes knowledge of the rules is beneficial. Dave Hill had a bunch of these situations in his career.

I know of him but know very little about him personally. Let me guess. Grew up an entitled rich boy on the finest CC in town perhaps?

Am I close to accurate or did he grind during his childhood on public links?

Doesn't that describe something like 75% of the PGA tour?

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Hope his violent, mechanical, fire-and-fall-back swing comes with a good service plan.

Not a fan of it, despite being lauded as such a cerebral approach.

I have no idea how Rahm hits the ball the way he does. His backswing is so fast and short you could miss it if you blinked.
Finau is the same way. Always perplexed me too, guess some just go "0 to 60" quicker than others.

BDC is super quick as well, just a longer swing, of course. Few weeks ago CBS put BDC next to Chris Kirk. BDC had already hit the ball before Kirk completed his back swing.

Reactions: hexumhawk
He had two senior rules officials there including Slugger White. They know the rules and all the interpretations inside out.

Started bitching that he gets garbage rulings and Phil wouldn’t get that ruling.

Liked Bryson initially - becoming a whiner.
When I did my internship at Congressional, I got to spend a lot of time around rules officials doing setup for the Tour event we had that summer. They spoke about Vijay much in the same way “Karen” is thrown about on social media. It was hilarious. That was back in ‘05, and I have to think current day Bryson is waaaaaaaaayyyyyy worse than Vijay ever was.

Finau is the same way. Always perplexed me too, guess some just go "0 to 60" quicker than others.

BDC is super quick as well, just a longer swing, of course. Few weeks ago CBS put BDC next to Chris Kirk. BDC had already hit the ball before Kirk completed his back swing.

The thing that stuck me as crazy if you look at Bryson's swing in slow-mo, you can see the head and shaft bent when he starts his swing back. That is a lot of force on your backswing to do that.

Reactions: SoonerBeAHawk
Yeah who wants to watch a guy hit 400 yard drives?
Real estate developers?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but golf, in part, has always valued the aesthetics of form.

I also think think the more languid swing holds up better. Louey O. wondered if there would be a senior tour because so many players swing so hard now.

The guy actually thinks (per an above post) he can live to 140 so I'm sure he gives no heed to over training and over swinging.

Real estate developers?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but golf, in part, has always valued the aesthetics of form.

I also think think the more languid swing holds up better. Louey O. wondered if there would be a senior tour because so many players swing so hard now.

The guy actually thinks (per an above post) he can live to 140 so I'm sure he gives no heed to over training and over swinging.

Maybe so. Right now DeChambeau has 6 PGA wins while Oosthuizen has 1. People always talk about how great Oosthuizen's swing is, but he never wins. He's the PGA's version of Antoine Walker.

Reactions: Legend12
He’s really good at what he does, and I appreciate that he’s done it in his own very unique way. But he’s such a knob that it’s difficult to like him and his resting whiny bitch face after every shot that doesn’t go in because he thinks the course owes him something.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Maybe so. Right now DeChambeau has 6 PGA wins while Oosthuizen has 1. People always talk about how great Oosthuizen's swing is, but he never wins. He's the PGA's version of Antoine Walker.
Good point.

I don't know if the old guard is just making excuses but Faldo was talking about how the new equipment, shafts specifically, is allowing for this modern karate move of a golf swing.

Different game, but it's always of course been evolving.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT