ADVERTISEMENT

Bubble scoreboard watching

whatsup13579er

HR Legend
Oct 13, 2015

I don’t want to muck up the other threads with this.

Bubble teams:
VirginiaBaylorKentucky
North CarolinaOklahomaAlabama
LouisvilleIndianaTulane
PittsburghMarylandUCSB
DukeIowaLong Beach State
ClemsonLSUSan Diego
Virginia TechGeorgiaCalifornia

Last edited:
VirginiaBaylorKentucky
LouisvilleIndianaTulane
PittsburghMarylandUCSB
DukeIowaLong Beach State
ClemsonLSUSan Diego

They’re playing HR derby in Charlotte... L’ville up big in the T9.

you're giving me hope

however, isn't it gonna take a miracle to get into the NCAA Tournament?
Yes.
And Yes...
Knowing Iowa, bubble teams will lose in front of them this week, we take the first two vs. Sparty and then drop game 3 in walk off fashion when a W would've gotten us to a regional. I've seen this movie before....

Reactions: Franisdaman
VirginiaBaylorKentucky
LouisvilleIndianaTulane
PittsburghMarylandUCSB
DukeIowaLong Beach State
ClemsonLSUSan Diego

They’re playing HR derby in Charlotte... L’ville up big in the T9.
Good stuff thanks for sharing. How many of the bubble teams on this list conceivably get in? 10? Funny to see LSU on there, I just assumed they were safely in the field every year. A series win vs EITHER Illinois or NW may have put us on the right side of the bubble. We should have won both and solidified our place in the regional.

Reading through the threads, who are we pulling for in the B10 race this weekend? Nebraska to sweep? Others?

Yes.
And Yes...
Knowing Iowa, bubble teams will lose in front of them this week, we take the first two vs. Sparty and then drop game 3 in walk off fashion when a W would've gotten us to a regional. I've seen this movie before....

Too many sequels to that movie, too! LOL

you're giving me hope

however, isn't it gonna take a miracle to get into the NCAA Tournament?
Iowa has a shot.

Some of those ACC teams are likely in. They don't seem very bubbly to me but what do I know? Virginia is probably in so they can take care of VT this afternoon. Pitt/UNC tonight is a very interesting matchup. Pitt is 22-19 (16-17) with an RPI of 48 but a 16-11 Q1 record. UNC is 26-24 (18-18) with a 45 RPI. Pitt was one of the protentional host sites a month ago. Does a UNC loss put them on the wrong side of the bubble?

I also don't understand why Georgia is considered 'in' at this point and LSU is out. LSU seems better in almost every metric. Kentucky and Clemson are already done. LSU/Georgia loser tonight is likely done.

Alabama just scored 6 in the T3 to take a 6-0 lead on #24 South Carolina. We could likely cross off Alabama with a Gamecocks win.

Good stuff thanks for sharing. How many of the bubble teams on this list conceivably get in? 10? Funny to see LSU on there, I just assumed they were safely in the field every year. A series win vs EITHER Illinois or NW may have put us on the right side of the bubble. We should have won both and solidified our place in the regional.

I hate to say it, but I think Iowa is what it's record is; a flawed team that wins slightly more than half it's games. We have issues with starting pitching, with relief pitching, with striking out, and with not getting that key hit.

That said, I posted this elsewhere, but doesn't something crazy/unlikely like this need to happen in the B1G? I just don't see the Selection Committee taking 5 B1G teams.

What follows would be the standings if:
* Michigan loses all 3 at Nebraska
* Iowa wins all 3 at Michigan State
* Indiana wins all 3 at Maryland

Maryland, Michigan, & Iowa (all at 26-18), head to head records would be:
5-4 Michigan
4-4 Iowa (3-1 vs MD; 1-3 vs MI)
4-5 Maryland

......................................................Games
.......................................................Back

1. Nebraska (32-11, .744)...............--
2. Indiana (28-16, .636).................4 1/2

3. Michigan (26-18, 591)...............6 1/2
3. Iowa (26-18, .591)...................6 1/2

3. Maryland (26-18, .591).............6 1/2

#10 East Carolina is down 11-1 in the T7 to last place Memphis in the AAC tourney. Tulane is the on the bubble in the AAC. It is double elimination but ECU putting themselves behind the 8 ball in the first round does not bode well for Iowa. This could turn into a bid stealing conference tourney.

#10 East Carolina is down 11-1 in the T7 to last place Memphis in the AAC tourney. Tulane is the on the bubble in the AAC. It is double elimination but ECU putting themselves behind the 8 ball in the first round does not bode well for Iowa. This could turn into a bid stealing conference tourney.
East Carolina ended up losing that contest

Ya know, having a conference tournament starting tomorrow would be better than what the league did. We could have a bid stealer. A team like Iowa could go 3-1 with wins over Indiana, Nebraska, Michigan, and lose on Sunday yet give the committee some serious thought. Other teams could further cement themselves with quality wins. Of course you could play yourselves out too.

If Indiana sweeps Maryland and Iowa sweeps this weekend, Iowa gets fourth (in a tie with Maryland) due to head-to-head.

Iowa would be in fourth regardless. I guess my thinking was they’d be a game ahead of IU with a 5-4 record against the top two teams in the conference. Also, tied with Michigan at 26-18 if they get swept.

If Indiana sweeps Maryland and Iowa sweeps this weekend, Iowa gets fourth (in a tie with Maryland) due to head-to-head.
Iowa would be in fourth regardless. I guess my thinking was they’d be a game ahead of IU with a 5-4 record against the top two teams in the conference. Also, tied with Michigan at 26-18 if they get swept.

I posted this above and here it is again. The chances have to be slim, of course, of all 3 sweeps happening. But, if they did:

IF the Selection Committee takes 4 B1G teams, then Iowa SHOULD be one of them, based on these 2 tie breakers (Iowa at 4-4 is better than MD and Iowa has a 3-1 head to head):

5-4 Michigan
4-5 Maryland

FINAL B1G Standings if the 3 Sweeps Mentioned Above Occurred:

Reactions: HawkPT
I posted this above and here it is again. The chances have to be slim, of course, of all 3 sweeps happening. But, if they did:

IF the Selection Committee takes 4 B1G teams, then Iowa SHOULD be one of them, based on these 2 tie breakers (Iowa at 4-4 is better than MD and Iowa has a 3-1 head to head):

5-4 Michigan
4-5 Maryland

FINAL B1G Standings if the 3 Sweeps Mentioned Above Occurred:

tenor.gif

VirginiaBaylorKentucky
LouisvilleIndianaTulane
PittsburghMarylandUCSB
DukeIowaLong Beach State
ClemsonLSUSan Diego

After today I think Virginia, Pitt, and Georgia have secured bids. Georgia might want to win one more game to feel really good. They get Arkansas next.

Louisville, Alabama, and Tulane all had wins today but they should still be firmly on the bubble.

UNC and LSU were on the right side of the bubble coming into today but losses today won’t help their cause. They should be firmly on the bubble. The ACC is doing some weird round robin so each ACC team gets 2 games.

I have eliminated Clemson, Va Tech, and Kentucky with losses today. Kentucky is done and it’ll take a small miracle to get Clemson or VT into the field.

VirginiaBaylorKentucky
LouisvilleIndianaTulane
PittsburghMarylandUCSB
DukeIowaLong Beach State
ClemsonLSUSan Diego

After today I think Virginia, Pitt, and Georgia have secured bids. Georgia might want to win one more game to feel really good. They get Arkansas next.

Louisville, Alabama, and Tulane all had wins today but they should still be firmly on the bubble.

UNC and LSU were on the right side of the bubble coming into today but losses today won’t help their cause. They should be firmly on the bubble. The ACC is doing some weird round robin so each ACC team gets 2 games.

I have eliminated Clemson, Va Tech, and Kentucky with losses today. Kentucky is done and it’ll take a small miracle to get Clemson or VT into the field.

BA has dropped LSU into the last 4 in at the moment, still has Louisville as the last team in, Georgia, UNC and Virginia still comfortably in, and Alabama still as the 3rd team out.

In Big12 news, Baylor is cooperating this morning!

Here is what’s starting to really suck as these bubble teams play and lose. I don’t even think Iowa had to sweep Illinois and NW. They just had to win the series.

Reactions: BigOHawk
Fairfield who is 35-1 in the MAAC is about to lose game one of their conference “championships” as they are down 4-1 in the 9th. Some think they should be in regardless, while others say no.

Here is what’s starting to really suck as these bubble teams play and lose. I don’t even think Iowa had to sweep Illinois and NW. They just had to win the series.

i think you are right

we simply couldn't get it done

and the reason? we just are not good enough. it's sad to admit it and to come to grips with it.

From D1Baseball:

Here's how we size up the at-large candidates after Tuesday's conference tournament opening games, listed from safest to least safe on our ladder:

Last Five In
60. Indiana
61. LSU
62. North Carolina
63. Louisville
64. California

First Five Out
65. Baylor
66. Oklahoma
67. Long Beach State
68. Alabama
69. San Diego

Here's how our 21 bubble teams fared Tuesday:

Virginia (won)BaylorKentucky (lost)
North Carolina (lost)OklahomaAlabama (won)
Louisville (won)IndianaTulane (won)
Pittsburgh (won)MarylandUC-Santa Barbara
DukeIowaLong Beach State
Clemson (lost)LSU (lost)San Diego
Virginia Tech (lost)Georgia (won)California

Literally a perfect day for baseball in Omaha.

Also, is the B1G the only conference not having a tournament? I was under the impression the MAAC wasn’t, but we see today that’s obviously not the case.

Literally a perfect day for baseball in Omaha.

Also, is the B1G the only conference not having a tournament? I was under the impression the MAAC wasn’t, but we see today that’s obviously not the case.
Big West, MAC, Mountain West, Pac-12, and West Coast Conference are not having tourneys

Update from D1:

Last Ten In
55. Duke
56. Pittsburgh
57. Indiana State
58. Georgia
59. UC-Santa Barbara
60. Indiana
61. LSU
62. North Carolina
63. Louisville
64. California

First Five Out
65. Alabama
66. Long Beach State
67. Baylor
68. Oklahoma
69. San Diego

Here's how the 21 bubble teams are sitting:

Virginia (W)Baylor (L)Kentucky (L)
North Carolina (L)Oklahoma (L)Alabama (W, W)
Louisville (W)IndianaTulane (W)
Pittsburgh (W)MarylandUC-Santa Barbara
Duke (W)IowaLong Beach State
Clemson (L, W)LSU (L)San Diego
Virginia Tech (L, L)Georgia (W, L)California

Based on these results, Kentucky, Clemson and Virginia Tech are no longer serious contenders for at-large berths.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT