ADVERTISEMENT

Bunch of good comments on the Uconn board

A lot of UConn fans are upset with the refs, and I don't blame them. We still outplayed UConn, but I do think the refs were favorable in our direction. As an Iowa fan, I don't remember being able to say that very often, especially when Bo Boroski has reffed Iowa games. Boroski seems like a hot head, and if you get on his bad side early in a game it seems like you've dug your grave because it will only get worse from there - this has happened to Fran multiple times already.

Fans complain about refs all the time, and most of the time fans don't have much of a case because we're biased viewers. However, there are some nights where it is particularly egregious, and I think the UConn game may have been one of those nights.

They were basically saying our size and experience beat them. A few blamed the refs. Some UConn fans actually said Iowa was faster than them- ha. When you’re losing everyone else looks faster- take note.

Is this still the current rule? I didn't find anything more current in a very cursory check....if this is still the current rule it appears that there was a lot of hand checking by UCONN that was not called. In addition, the body checking/bumping was significant.

Worst of all, in my opinion, was the very physical play/contact during the press late in the game. There was constant bumping and then hands slapping arms of Iowa players to try and create a turnover.......that was not called. I was extremely happy with the Iowa players and their ability to hold up in this situation.

Illegal use of hands — Extending the hands outside the cylinder and causing illegalcontact (for example, going for a steal but hitting the player's hand or arm, or hitting the arm of a shooter). Hand-checking — Contact by the defense on a ball handler that impedes a player's speed, quickness, rhythm, and/or balance.

In a significant rule change made last May, theN.C.A.A. moved the language regarding hand-checkingout of the rule book's appendix, where it was a “guideline,” and put it in the main text (Rule 10-1.4), where it is an absolute: Put your hands on a dribbler, and it is a foul.Mar 2, 2014

Reactions: mmotto and yiana
One thing Iowa has done in all their games so far this year is get to the free throw line. This is a significant improvement. We are driving the ball when we are pressured. If you simply throw it around the perimeter and shoot a three, you don't draw any fouls. But by running the offense through cook and Garza we have been picking up a lot of foul calls. I like it. The good teams do this.

Fans are funny. It's a solid reminder that every fan base has members who post and believe anything and everything. To blame that ass whooping on the refs is comical. Iowa owned UConn from beginning to end.

Yes we need to bring that out as a reminder when the inevitable double-digit loss happens to Iowa when some calls don't go Iowa's way. Early in the game there were a couple of travels called on UConn that looked to be phantom and a couple drives Cook had where he appeared to get away with walking. Also remember just pointing to FT shot disparity as proof of bad officiating is not logical. Most times, one team shoots more free throws because the other team fouled more. UConn was small with no post game and Iowa wasn't trying to play the tight defense in the half-court like UConn was. Iowa threw it inside and drove it more, so they got fouled more.

Just remember this when Iowa goes to Madison and shoots 8 free throws and Wisconsin shoot 20 and everyone bitches that the officiating is horrible.

Also noticeable was that Iowa players seemed beefy or muscular than UCon players, that helps IA against those pesky hand and body checks. Good thing the players bought in weight training over the summer. That's why Cook was knifing thru the players like butter!

UConn fans better get used to feeling like the refs are giving them the short end of the stick. Hurley's antics on the sideline aren't going to be well received by the officials. It will bite them in the ass repeatedly.

1. Hurley's sideline demeanor is worse than frans. Not going to help and I say the same about fran.
2. You are going to send the other team to the line when you foul constantly. Uconn constantly bumps/holds and fouls. The sad thing is that this will hurt them in the early season and help them against non-name teams come tournament time. The fouls that are fouls need to be called in the early season the same as the post season.
3. Their defenders were often out of position and reaching. I'm sorry play defense with your feet and you'll get the benefit of the doubt.
4. I think their fans believe that they are more"athletic" than us, so they couldn't possibly be fouling slower players.

1. Hurley's sideline demeanor is worse than frans. Not going to help and I say the same about fran.
2. You are going to send the other team to the line when you foul constantly. Uconn constantly bumps/holds and fouls. The sad thing is that this will hurt them in the early season and help them against non-name teams come tournament time. The fouls that are fouls need to be called in the early season the same as the post season.
3. Their defenders were often out of position and reaching. I'm sorry play defense with your feet and you'll get the benefit of the doubt.
4. I think their fans believe that they are more"athletic" than us, so they couldn't possibly be fouling slower players.

Yes on Hurley's demeanor. You can't be like that all the time. No coach can. It just doesn't work. He was baiting the refs the entire game.

Their bigs were just bad. Garza and Cook were both taller, more skilled and moved better. That is a deadly combination if you are UConn.

Eerily quiet on the Phenom front

what is there to say? Connor got pantsed on national TV by talented freshman guards of Pitt. it's hard to run an offense when you cannot dribble the ball past the player opposite of you. we will see more of this before the season is through.

I shudder to think of him out there having to play a team like Duke or Kentucky.

what is there to say? Connor got pantsed on national TV by talented freshman guards of Pitt. it's hard to run an offense when you cannot dribble the ball past the player opposite of you. we will see more of this before the season is through.

I shudder to think of him out there having to play a team like Duke or Kentucky.

No one got pantsed. He had a rough game. Not surprising whatsoever, it's the first time he got scouted and game planned for by a real opponent. Even at that, he had 4 assists and no turnovers. He wasn't great, but he still contirbuted. Pitt backed off and didn't try to play bully ball like UConn. Basically dared Connor to shoot. He's going to see more of that until he makes some shots and/or adjusts back. He can play, but if people expect 19 points and 6 assists every game that's not him. He is a solid player. Can't a guy just be that and not have one faction scream "he sucks" and the other say "he's elite" based on the result of one game, good or bad? I know the answer to that question, but was hopeful anyway.

My bad, eerily quiet for 2 weeks

Looking at the game, in a game we won, in the most negative light possible I guess you could see it that way. I was extremely happy that this team turned the defense around completely from the first half to the second. Last year, this team couldn't get the defense turned around for the entire season....yet they did it here from one half to the next. That is astounding progress, both from a coaching and a player standpoint.

Wisconsin is a really really good team this year....we might get beat. That said, we are 6-0 and ranked 14th at the moment. Extreme criticism doesn't seem to fit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT