ADVERTISEMENT

Burning redshirts - Addison Ostrenga

Jun 8, 2022
According to the true freshman tracker, he’s played in 5 games for a grand total of 18 snaps. Does he play on the FG blocking unit or something and nothing else? I have no idea why the staff would burn a redshirt for a whopping 3 plays a game that are almost certainly not meaningfully preparing him for next year. No way is that in the kid’s best interest - that’s a year he could need for injury down the road or whatever life circumstance comes his way.

There have been really curious examples of this in the past too. I wish the staff would manage even small things like this better.

According to the true freshman tracker, he’s played in 5 games for a grand total of 18 snaps. Does he play on the FG blocking unit or something and nothing else? I have no idea why the staff would burn a redshirt for a whopping 3 plays a game that are almost certainly not meaningfully preparing him for next year. No way is that in the kid’s best interest - that’s a year he could need for injury down the road or whatever life circumstance comes his way.

There have been really curious examples of this in the past too. I wish the staff would manage even small things like this better.
Where does this ridiculous obsession from fans come from that "the players" want to stay in college for 5 years? It totally ridiculous to keep having this conversation. AGAIN in the end, its up to the player, 1). Most have no intention of being in college for 5 years. 2) just a few weeks ago the player in question was TE3 and we use 3 tight ends regularly. 3). Any injury and he's probably in the regular rotation. 4), Anytime on the field helps prepare the young players for the actual speed of the game should his snaps grow, and for next season. 5). If he ends up being a good player (especially at his position), he could very well leave even earlier then his 4 years, let alone 5th year.

I'm willing to bet there are very few players in all of college football that want to be in college for 5 years.

Going to school, workouts, practices, not starting a career, not being in love with football, injuries, etc. all while being 18-22 years old isn't always the ideal life.

I'm willing to bet there are very few players in all of college football that want to be in college for 5 years.

Going to school, workouts, practices, not starting a career, not being in love with football, injuries, etc. all while being 18-22 years old isn't always the ideal life.
All paid for - not a bad gig. Sign me up.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
Where does this ridiculous obsession from fans come from that "the players" want to stay in college for 5 years? It totally ridiculous to keep having this conversation. AGAIN in the end, its up to the player, 1). Most have no intention of being in college for 5 years. 2) just a few weeks ago the player in question was TE3 and we use 3 tight ends regularly. 3). Any injury and he's probably in the regular rotation. 4), Anytime on the field helps prepare the young players for the actual speed of the game should his snaps grow, and for next season. 5). If he ends up being a good player (especially at his position), he could very well leave even earlier then his 4 years, let alone 5th year.
Uhhhh - If Iowa "regularly uses 3 tight ends," perhaps you can point to some plays a 3rd tight end was in on this year? Burning a talented kid's redshirt so that he can play 5 snaps in a season on field goal protection plays is absolutely boneheaded.

Uhhhh - If Iowa "regularly uses 3 tight ends," perhaps you can point to some plays a 3rd tight end was in on this year? Burning a talented kid's redshirt so that he can play 5 snaps in a season on field goal protection plays is absolutely boneheaded.
Well said. The argument of “it’s up to the player” totally absolves the staff from having an intelligent plan for the player. 3 plays per game of only blocking on special teams is not an intelligent or intentional plan. I’m less arguing that he needs five years available to him and more concerned about the lack of planning for these situations. Like clock management - often it won’t matter. And frankly, it might not for Ostrenga either. But at some point in time it’s going to either screw over the player himself OR find ourselves with lack of depth or talent in a position of need that could have otherwise been planned for.

Where did I say that they use all three on the same play ? As usual your twisting what I said to change the narrative. Stillanos has played on numerous plays as a blocker, so they have most certainly played "at least three" TE's. Again try to keep up. If #87 ends up being "a talented kid" at his position it's almost a certainty that he WON"T be here for 5 years, maybe even four. Please go back and show the good to really good TE's at Iowa that stayed for 5 years and didn't go on to the league. Do your research, because it won't take long. There is no list. If he doesn't turn out to be that good, then why will it matter anyway? This entire redshirting complaint is pointless. You'd be some of the same people on here bitching about the coaches not getting future players ready, and you know thats a fact. Add to that the fact that he's played in 15 plays to this point (through 5 games) may very well have him more prepared should he move up the chart the last 7 or 8 games do to injury or whatever.

Well said. The argument of “it’s up to the player” totally absolves the staff from having an intelligent plan for the player. 3 plays per game of only blocking on special teams is not an intelligent or intentional plan. I’m less arguing that he needs five years available to him and more concerned about the lack of planning for these situations. Like clock management - often it won’t matter. And frankly, it might not for Ostrenga either. But at some point in time it’s going to either screw over the player himself OR find ourselves with lack of depth or talent in a position of need that could have otherwise been planned for.
Sorry, but making a statement like "at some point its going to screw over the player" is just wrong. If the kid wanted to play this year, and he has played, then how is he getting screwed over? The consensus seems to be that he's a good prospect at TE. So please go back and find the last good TE at Iowa who was here for 5 years and not in the league? Barring an injury, in which case, better to have saved the shirt. You have NO idea how much he will play the rest of this season, (given injuries etc...) and every play he's on the field helps him to prepare. People on here are constantly on here bitching that KF doesn't play backups (even in late game plays where the games decided either way), just look through yesterdays threads, yet again, and yet they also get on here and bitch when he plays guys even if its just on special teams. No one here knows how much these few plays may or may not help a player prepare for future playing time. What this is, is just another chance for "the fans" to cling for ANYTHING else to bitch about. There's plenty about the teams play to be upset with so far this season without making up stuff that will most likely have no bearing whatsoever on the players career or the teams future success....

Sorry, but making a statement like "at some point its going to screw over the player" is just wrong. If the kid wanted to play this year, and he has played, then how is he getting screwed over? The consensus seems to be that he's a good prospect at TE. So please go back and find the last good TE at Iowa who was here for 5 years and not in the league? Barring an injury, in which case, better to have saved the shirt. You have NO idea how much he will play the rest of this season, (given injuries etc...) and every play he's on the field helps him to prepare. People on here are constantly on here bitching that KF doesn't play backups (even in late game plays where the games decided either way), just look through yesterdays threads, yet again, and yet they also get on here and bitch when he plays guys even if its just on special teams. No one here knows how much these few plays may or may not help a player prepare for future playing time. What this is, is just another chance for "the fans" to cling for ANYTHING else to bitch about. There's plenty about the teams play to be upset with so far this season without making up stuff that will most likely have no bearing whatsoever on the players career or the teams future success....
If you think 3 snaps a game - non-TE plays - is meaningfully helping him prepare for next year, beyond what he is already getting in practice against our defense and special tthen I guess we aren’t going to see eye to eye on this topic. It’s also not only the player’s decision. It has to be good for and helping the team, otherwise why play a player?

And if you think the staff is being intentional and does believe it’s preparing him AND good for the team, then please reconcile that with zero snaps for any future quarterback.

Clearly the staff has not managed the roster well as it pertains to QB and WRs. You could make a case for OL as well. So the Ostrenga case, to me, is another example of not planning for the future and always being told “we’re really young at XYZ position.” I actually think they’re going to need him to play a big role next year, but they’re splitting the baby here and achieving neither objective.

Are fans really stupid enough to think that playing a true freshman on special teams and getting him second team reps is bad for a player who is more than likely going to be our TE2 next year???
Please notice I did not call out X or Hall. Both those guys are actually gaining valuable experience. Because guess what, they’ve actually been called upon to do something meaningful, cover guys, and make tackles. If you think Ostrenga is with his whopping 18 snaps so far…you must be naive. Has he caught a pass or been targeted? Nope.

If you think 3 snaps a game - non-TE plays - is meaningfully helping him prepare for next year, beyond what he is already getting in practice against our defense and special tthen I guess we aren’t going to see eye to eye on this topic. It’s also not only the player’s decision. It has to be good for and helping the team, otherwise why play a player?

And if you think the staff is being intentional and does believe it’s preparing him AND good for the team, then please reconcile that with zero snaps for any future quarterback.

Clearly the staff has not managed the roster well as it pertains to QB and WRs. You could make a case for OL as well. So the Ostrenga case, to me, is another example of not planning for the future and always being told “we’re really young at XYZ position.” I actually think they’re going to need him to play a big role next year, but they’re splitting the baby here and achieving neither objective.
I made NO comment about the staffs decision at QB play or reps, and just IMHO one has nothing to do with the other. The thread was about this one specific player and thats what I commented on. It was also about redshirting, and that has nothing to do with whether or not Padilla plays a few snaps. And yes, I think his playing even a few plays is helpful. I'd also reiterate, that its still quite possible his usage at TE increases over the remainder of the season, (even in scrimmage snaps), for various reasons and he'll be at least somewhat more prepared for the speed of the game.

He plays on kickoff coverage as well. Pay attention to game instead of just blowing off steam. He is a good football player making contrbutions

Imagine how the backup qb's feel. 🤔😐
Again, which has nothing to do with the original post does it? No ones arguing the use of the QB's in this thread and yet this is one of several replies steering the discussion into an entirely different topic......

Reactions: hawkhockey
In addition to my skepticism that the very limited special teams snaps is meaningfully preparing him, I think it’s actually the QB situation and offense situation in general that made the Ostrenga situation stick out to me. It’s like KF is talking out of both sides of his mouth in these situations. On one hand he says it’s good to get experience and prepare for future expanded role next year. But then on the other there’s a refusal to play anyone at QB in prep for next year (or this year) in the midst of an historically (and nationally recognized) poor offense/QB play.

You forgot option 6):

Transfer to Purdue...:mad:

Reactions: chuck285

He is on special teams. Kick coverage for sure.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene

You do realize they often let the kids decide if they want to redshirt, right?

Regarding these redshirt discussions .....

Can anyone tell me what a redshirt player does during the year besides skills development and S&C? Do they get to go to the games and stand on the sidelines in uniform? Do they get to run out of the tunnel with the team? Travel with the team? What kind of reps to they get in practice with the offense or defense? Any?

Do we have any idea how the staff discusses the redshirt option? Do we know how the staff discusses it with a player?

And finally, do we have ANY idea how a redshirt player "feels" about being a part of the team?

I sure don't, and I'll bet most don't.

But, the coaches are idiots.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: cmhawks99
While we're discussing staff management of the TE position, let's not fail to provide accolades for the staff using their sole portal acquisition for a 4th team TE.
So your saying it wasn't wise to bring in the transfer given that we lost two TE's to transfer, Laporta is a senior, And they had no idea what the 2 freshman would be ready? As it turned out AO as made solid head way so he and Stillanos are in a neck and neck battle for TE3......

Only because they want to be in the nfl after 3 years.

Other than that, I’m not sure why anybody would want less years in college.

I think you all have to keep in mind that it is not just the plays that these players play on Saturdays, it has more to do with their practice time. If a player is redshirting, they don't typically (if ever) appear on 2-deeps and thus don't get real meaningful reps. They can appear on the scout team, but that is different because they are not learning the Iowa offense/defense/ST schemes as well as developing chemistry with those players.

With respect to Ostrenga, I bet this was a mutual decision to try to balance the classes as well as develop another TE for next year. LaPorta will be gone, Lachey will be TE1, then you have Stilianos who will be a SR and Pascuzzi who will be a SO and Vanderbush who will be a RS FR. Going out on a limb here, I would say by just looking at their body types/stats/film that Vanderbush is quite a ways away due to weight and strength and Stilianos and Pascuzzi are more along the lines of blockers, leaving Ostrenga who would have the most potential at this stage to turn into a dual threat TE. So I am bet Ostrenga is getting some snaps at TE in practice which will greatly accelerate his growth.

Again, just guessing here, I venture to say that as long as LaPorta and Lachey stay healthy, you will see Stilianos in as a third TE in specialty situations or in running situations, but, if either of the first two get hurt I bet you see Ostrenga in for one of them.

100%. This should be pinned and referred to the 5000 times it comes up every season. Ostrega is likely to be in the TE rotation next year once LaPorta is gone so if he's good enough to help the team now, get him on the field in whatever capacity. Yes, if he's a NFL caliber player it will likely be known by year 4. If so, he gone. Hockeson was at Iowa for 4 years as he redshirted his first year. Hindsight, probably could have helped Iowa as a true freshman. Iowa never got the 5th year out of him. There are many other examples.

I suppose there are some guys, especially on the lines, that know they will redshirt. Just need the development time to add weight. But even there, Graves is playing as a true freshman this year. Ostrega can still redshirt if he is injured in the next couple of years. Otherwise, if playing on ST this year helps him to be a good player the next 2, great.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
So your saying it wasn't wise to bring in the transfer given that we lost two TE's to transfer, Laporta is a senior, And they had no idea what the 2 freshman would be ready? As it turned out AO as made solid head way so he and Stillanos are in a neck and neck battle for TE3......
And that use of a scholarship on a portal TE becomes more important should Lachey or Laporta get injured for any amount of time.

There is plenty to criticize the staff for. Bringing in a portal TE to compete and provide depth was not dumb.

And that use of a scholarship on a portal TE becomes more important should Lachey or Laporta get injured for any amount of time.

There is plenty to criticize the staff for. Bringing in a portal TE to compete and provide depth was not dumb.
I don’t think anyone would argue bringing in an TE was dumb. More so that a TE is the only position that was brought in - specifically connecting this to the QB and WR issues right now. I know the staff has commented they “looked” at one WR but didn’t land him. Just strange how they manage some positions compared to others.

100%. This should be pinned and referred to the 5000 times it comes up every season. Ostrega is likely to be in the TE rotation next year once LaPorta is gone so if he's good enough to help the team now, get him on the field in whatever capacity. Yes, if he's a NFL caliber player it will likely be known by year 4. If so, he gone. Hockeson was at Iowa for 4 years as he redshirted his first year. Hindsight, probably could have helped Iowa as a true freshman. Iowa never got the 5th year out of him. There are many other examples.

I suppose there are some guys, especially on the lines, that know they will redshirt. Just need the development time to add weight. But even there, Graves is playing as a true freshman this year. Ostrega can still redshirt if he is injured in the next couple of years. Otherwise, if playing on ST this year helps him to be a good player the next 2, great.
Hock actually had TWO years left if he chose to use them........

I think you all have to keep in mind that it is not just the plays that these players play on Saturdays, it has more to do with their practice time. If a player is redshirting, they don't typically (if ever) appear on 2-deeps and thus don't get real meaningful reps. They can appear on the scout team, but that is different because they are not learning the Iowa offense/defense/ST schemes as well as developing chemistry with those players.

With respect to Ostrenga, I bet this was a mutual decision to try to balance the classes as well as develop another TE for next year. LaPorta will be gone, Lachey will be TE1, then you have Stilianos who will be a SR and Pascuzzi who will be a SO and Vanderbush who will be a RS FR. Going out on a limb here, I would say by just looking at their body types/stats/film that Vanderbush is quite a ways away due to weight and strength and Stilianos and Pascuzzi are more along the lines of blockers, leaving Ostrenga who would have the most potential at this stage to turn into a dual threat TE. So I am bet Ostrenga is getting some snaps at TE in practice which will greatly accelerate his growth.

Again, just guessing here, I venture to say that as long as LaPorta and Lachey stay healthy, you will see Stilianos in as a third TE in specialty situations or in running situations, but, if either of the first two get hurt I bet you see Ostrenga in for one of them.
Well said. Appreciate the perspective and discourse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT