ADVERTISEMENT

But the lockdowns...

IaHawk44

HR MVP
Feb 20, 2006

Death Toll Associated With Trump Administration Goes Beyond Covid-19, Says Lancet Report​

Bruce Y. Lee

The Lancet Commission on Public Policy and Health in the Trump Era has just come out with an assessment of Donald Trump’s impact on the health of Americans while he was U.S. President. And, spoiler alert, it wasn’t positive.

That’s assuming that you find many more deaths to be a negative health impact. According to the report, Trump’s policies or lack thereof contributed to the deaths of around 461,000 Americans in 2018. In 2019, about 22,000 deaths resulted from Trump’s dismantling of environmental protection measures alone, based on the Commission’s analyses. And of course, there was 2020, when the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic hit. Many have written about the Trump administration’s failure to mount a scientifically appropriate response to the pandemic. The Commission determined that 40% of Covid-19-related deaths in the U.S. could have been prevented had the U.S. only had the same Covid-19 death rates as those of other Group of Seven (G7) nations, namely Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, and the United Kingdom.

Of course, these numbers are not exact. It’s not as if the Commission members used a time machine made out of a DeLorean or the quantum realm to jump back in time, installed something else in Trump’s place as U.S. President such as a cinder block, and then observed what happened in an alternate reality. Time travel is not a thing yet. Plus, it would have been difficult to fit all 33 members of the Commission into a DeLorean. Moreover, The Lancet probably didn’t have those suits that the Avengers wore for each of the clinical medicine, public health, epidemiology, health policy, community medicine, economics, nutrition, law, and political experts from the U.S., U.K., and Canada who comprised the Commission.

Instead, the Commission, which was formed in April 2017, determined how many fewer deaths the U.S. would have had if the U.S. had had death rates comparable to those of other G7 countries. This graphic from The Lancet illustrates the growing gap between the U.S. and the rest of the G7 over the past four decades:

Has the CDC ever released data on specific risk drivers other than some generic "pre-existing conditions" that increased the likelihood of death?

Reactions: Pinehawk
USA! USA! USA!

drunk animal house GIF by IFC

It is absolutely the President's job to protect people.
That’s quite a paternalistic, delusional and overreaching take on the presidential job description.

Is he obligated to see that we’re all tucked snug in our beds every night as well?:rolleyes:

That’s quite a paternalistic, delusional and overreaching take on the presidential job description.

Is he obligated to see that we’re all tucked snug in our beds every night as well?:rolleyes:
A tuck in bed would have been nice, but Trump's reaction to the virus was astoundingly stupid and illogical on so many levels. His historic defeat is most likely directly related to his leadership during the pandemic.

"I wanted to always play it down, I still like playing it down, because I don't want to create a panic."

"We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It's going to be just fine"

"It's going to disappear. One day — it's like a miracle — it will disappear. And from our shores, we — you know, it could get worse before it gets better. It could maybe go away. We'll see what happens. Nobody really knows."

"When we have a lot of cases, I don't look at that as a bad thing. I look at that in a certain respect as being a good thing, because it means our testing is much better. So, if we were testing a million people instead of 14 million people, we would have far few cases, right?

"It affects elderly people, elderly people with heart problems, if they have other problems, that's what it really affects, that's it. In some states thousands of people — nobody young — below the age of 18, like nobody — they have a strong immune system — who knows? Take your hat off to the young because they have a hell of an immune system. It affects virtually nobody. It's an amazing thing — by the way, open your schools!"

Reactions: MitchLL and BGHAWK
A tuck in bed would have been nice, but Trump's reaction to the virus was astoundingly stupid and illogical on so many levels. His historic defeat is most likely directly related to his leadership during the pandemic.

"I wanted to always play it down, I still like playing it down, because I don't want to create a panic."

"We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It's going to be just fine"

"It's going to disappear. One day — it's like a miracle — it will disappear. And from our shores, we — you know, it could get worse before it gets better. It could maybe go away. We'll see what happens. Nobody really knows."

"When we have a lot of cases, I don't look at that as a bad thing. I look at that in a certain respect as being a good thing, because it means our testing is much better. So, if we were testing a million people instead of 14 million people, we would have far few cases, right?

"It affects elderly people, elderly people with heart problems, if they have other problems, that's what it really affects, that's it. In some states thousands of people — nobody young — below the age of 18, like nobody — they have a strong immune system — who knows? Take your hat off to the young because they have a hell of an immune system. It affects virtually nobody. It's an amazing thing — by the way, open your schools!"
He is an idiot (agree with you there) but with those words he was just throwing a few bones to his loyal dogs to calm them down.

He was all in on the vaccine from the beginning. A bought and paid for tool of the pharmaceutical companies. IMO.

This is what we said back then. Trump was getting Americans killed. He didn't do his number one job as POTUS...protecting his citizens. He lied and lied and lied to protect his dumb ass.
BS.

Tell us all knowing oracle, what could Trump have done differently to save over 400,000 lives?

This is what we said back then. Trump was getting Americans killed. He didn't do his number one job as POTUS...protecting his citizens. He lied and lied and lied to protect his dumb ass.
More blather from you. Your COVID opinion is tarnished by your blatant hypocrisy Mr New Orleans. So dangerous……

We were very lucky in central Iowa, there really were not lockdowns. Briefly for restaurants and bars and schools were home only from spring break on. My office was mask free by October 2020 or before. I don’t think shut downs and mask mandates will ever happen again.

We were very lucky in central Iowa, there really were not lockdowns. Briefly for restaurants and bars and schools were home only from spring break on. My office was mask free by October 2020 or before. I don’t think shut downs and mask mandates will ever happen again.

Over COVID or just in general?

Death Toll Associated With Trump Administration Goes Beyond Covid-19, Says Lancet Report​

Bruce Y. Lee

The Lancet Commission on Public Policy and Health in the Trump Era has just come out with an assessment of Donald Trump’s impact on the health of Americans while he was U.S. President. And, spoiler alert, it wasn’t positive.

That’s assuming that you find many more deaths to be a negative health impact. According to the report, Trump’s policies or lack thereof contributed to the deaths of around 461,000 Americans in 2018. In 2019, about 22,000 deaths resulted from Trump’s dismantling of environmental protection measures alone, based on the Commission’s analyses. And of course, there was 2020, when the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic hit. Many have written about the Trump administration’s failure to mount a scientifically appropriate response to the pandemic. The Commission determined that 40% of Covid-19-related deaths in the U.S. could have been prevented had the U.S. only had the same Covid-19 death rates as those of other Group of Seven (G7) nations, namely Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, and the United Kingdom.

Of course, these numbers are not exact. It’s not as if the Commission members used a time machine made out of a DeLorean or the quantum realm to jump back in time, installed something else in Trump’s place as U.S. President such as a cinder block, and then observed what happened in an alternate reality. Time travel is not a thing yet. Plus, it would have been difficult to fit all 33 members of the Commission into a DeLorean. Moreover, The Lancet probably didn’t have those suits that the Avengers wore for each of the clinical medicine, public health, epidemiology, health policy, community medicine, economics, nutrition, law, and political experts from the U.S., U.K., and Canada who comprised the Commission.

Instead, the Commission, which was formed in April 2017, determined how many fewer deaths the U.S. would have had if the U.S. had had death rates comparable to those of other G7 countries. This graphic from The Lancet illustrates the growing gap between the U.S. and the rest of the G7 over the past four decades:

donald-trump-fake-news.gif

ADVERTISEMENT