ADVERTISEMENT

buy new shoes at Hy-Vee

med.jpg

Same trends happening out here:

Target and Walmart built SuperTarget and SuperWalmart to add in groceries along with all the other department store stuff

Kroger responded by adding in a Giant MegaKingSoopers that is the size of a SuperWalmart and sells all kinds of clothes and other stuff.

Hy Vee promises a smile in every aisle

Now they sell shoes that look cheap and
you won't keep.

I love shoes. A lot. I generally favor anything that makes buying shoes more convenient. But I don't want people touching their feet and then the food that I might buy. I think it's wrong to buy hamburger and shoes from the same store. I won't do it. Sorry HyVee. Two thumbs down from Birch on this one.

I love shoes. A lot. I generally favor anything that makes buying shoes more convenient. But I don't want people touching their feet and then the food that I might buy. I think it's wrong to buy hamburger and shoes from the same store. I won't do it. Sorry HyVee. Two thumbs down from Birch on this one.

Welp......there goes my "Victoria's Secret and Funnel Cakes Stores" franchise idea.....😟

It's a DSW inside Hy-Vee, at least in ours.

That being said, Hy-Vee has been pushing their clothing for quite some time and it appears to be unsuccessful. Our Hy-Vee is about 4 years old now and that department is going through its 2nd or third major renovation. Maybe they just need to pull the plug on something that isn't working (if it indeed isnt working, I dont have the numbers, just working off speculation and what I have seen).

It's a DSW inside Hy-Vee, at least in ours.

That being said, Hy-Vee has been pushing their clothing for quite some time and it appears to be unsuccessful. Our Hy-Vee is about 4 years old now and that department is going through its 2nd or third major renovation. Maybe they just need to pull the plug on something that isn't working (if it indeed isnt working, I dont have the numbers, just working off speculation and what I have seen).
The amount of money they spent on their Market Grille remodels was staggering as well. And it does not seem they were very successful

Reactions: Stu_hawk
The amount of money they spent on their Market Grille remodels was staggering as well. And it does not seem they were very successful

my BIL is a store manager at a HV in Minnesota and he said the stores around them lost over 70% in sit down sales when they were put in. They picked up some right before COVID but now the liquor sales are the only thing keeping them afloat.

Reactions: bdg8
my BIL is a store manager at a HV in Minnesota and he said the stores around them lost over 70% in sit down sales when they were put in. They picked up some right before COVID but now the liquor sales are the only thing keeping them afloat.
That’s probably a lot to due with Covid and probably not too far from par from most restaurants. One knock on Market Grille was (before changing it to Wahlburger) that they kept changing their menu, happy hour, and prices. It was never meant to be gourmet, but was on par with Granite City.

Hy Vee needs to get back to the basics. Be the best grocery store, meat, and produce market and offer the traditional grocery store diner that has a great breakfast. Do what made them great in the first place.

Hy Vee has strayed far off the path. We were just talking about this with the neighbors this weekend. Really wish we had a Fareway here in town instead of the Hy Vee.

Best grocery store breakfasts ever was Sunshine at Indian Hills in Sioux City. My goodness, up there with best diners you could think of.

They are trying anything to drive traffic. I wonder how their clothes venture went
They originally had a British brand of clothes (the brand was "F&F"); it did not go so well Now they are selling "Joe Fresh" clothing. Most of what they sell is women's and children clothing; there is hardly anything for men.

5d3b41104c383.image.jpg

joe-fresh-427x568.jpeg

Reactions: naturalmwa
Another reason to shop Fareway instead. I only go to HyVee for beer or when looking for a specific variety of something.

Hy Vee needs to get back to the basics. Be the best grocery store, meat, and produce market and offer the traditional grocery store diner that has a great breakfast. Do what made them great in the first place.

Hy Vee has strayed far off the path. We were just talking about this with the neighbors this weekend. Really wish we had a Fareway here in town instead of the Hy Vee.

Best grocery store breakfasts ever was Sunshine at Indian Hills in Sioux City. My goodness, up there with best diners you could think of.

I couldn’t agree more. They continue to branch out into areas where they have little to no experience. It doesn’t take a psychic to figure out what happens next. Foolishness.

Reactions: naturalmwa and bdg8
I hate Hy-Vee. Takes you an hour to get in and out. Aldi is much better and half the price. Meat is where Fareway comes in

More of a Pompeii guy but find nothing wrong with the above mentioned either. I’m at TG weekly in my travels down to Decorah.

Pompeii is one of their more middling offerings. It's not a bad beer; just not as good as a lot of others.

• Sosus
  • DDH Pseudosue
  • Supa Sumo
  • Pseudosue (and Galaxy/Mosaic variants)
  • Hopsmack
  • Fire Skulls & Money

xHops Gold was one of their most under-rated brews IMO. Used to get those for like $7 a bottle.
They haven't brewed that in years, but it was solid stuff.

Thresher is another under-rated one, wheat I think. Those are the things I look for before Pompeii.

I have a couple growlers of Pseudo Sue in the garage fridge. I typically mix Pompeii with OJ in a chalice cup. It is one of their original earlier offerings. I’m more of a bourbon guy than a beer snob. I’ve drank so many of TG’s offerings that I’ve sort of moved on from it but will drink it with lunch at the brewery

I couldn’t agree more. They continue to branch out into areas where they have little to no experience. It doesn’t take a psychic to figure out what happens next. Foolishness.
And every time they do they lose big bucks. I know quite a few of the employees at our local Hy Vee. Let's just say morale is pretty low. The manager at our local is also the manager of the Hy Vee next town over. One guy doing the job of two. I don't know how much more corporate can expect to push off on the backs of the employees. The breaking point is going to happen at some point. A lot of us not liking the changes in offerings and pricing structure happening at our HyVee now.

ADVERTISEMENT