ADVERTISEMENT

Buying Beef in Bulk

ButtersHawk

HB All-American
Nov 23, 2021
Anyone have an in on buying a 1/4 or 1/2 cow? Estimated cost? Have you done it and is it worth it?

Preferably somewhere west of Des Moines if possible

Anyone have an in on buying a 1/4 or 1/2 cow? Estimated cost? Have you done it and is it worth it?

Preferably somewhere west of Des Moines if possible
We have from family. A quarter. I’m thinking it was 5-600. Something like that. I’m going to be real. It isn’t much cheaper and I don’t think the beef is as good as what you can get at fairway. Maybe it is a little cheaper. For sure the steaks weren’t as good. Maybe it’s just his beef. What you do get is convenient. There’s always beef in the freezer if you want it.

We have from family. A quarter. I’m thinking it was 5-600. Something like that. I’m going to be real. It isn’t much cheaper and I don’t think the beef is as good as what you can get at fairway. Maybe it is a little cheaper. For sure the steaks weren’t as good. Maybe it’s just his beef. What you do get is convenient. There’s always beef in the freezer if you want it.
I’ve always considered but at the price I wanted fresh not frozen.

It's not significantly cheaper for that to be the reason. Reasons I prefer - i get my ground beef ground up as I want, I go 90/10 and get it packaged as I want. I get 1.5 lbs packaged bulk. I get 5 packs of 1/3 lbs patties. I get rolled like meatballs size to make smash burgers.

I get my steaks cut 1.5 inches. I keep bones for marrow, etc...

But holistically it's not substantially cheaper than if you would value buy at costco/sams or when on sale at the store. It is nice to customize as I outlined above and I know my farmer who is a local friend.

We used to do that back when we had a houseful of three hungry teenaged boys. Bought a chest freezer and loaded it up. You do end up with some weird cuts that you can't really do anything good with.

Buy the cuts of meat you like to eat when they are on sale. Vacuum seal and freeze. That way you don’t get cuts you don’t want.
Fareway will sell whole ribeyes and cut and package them as you wish. And they will cut chuck roasts in half and wrap separately. Works well for us.

I’ve tried to get beef cuts here locally, and found the quality beneath local krogers or fresh market.

I wanted to believe it would be better from local, and it was not. And it was more expensive

When i was married and had 2 kids, we raised 2 beef cows every other year and sold 1. That kept the cost down on the one we kept.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT