ADVERTISEMENT

Bye-Bye Carson May

Yeah, this turn of events was obvious to some of us.
From 12/15/22:

I'd have to think that even KF would be smart enough to give both of them meaningful snaps. If one of these guys isn't given a fair chance to prove himself in this game, then he'll likely be in the portal before spring practice, and I wouldn't blame him. Each should have an equal chance to get a jump-start on being the #2.

You can't think that is actually going to be his stats? If so then it doesn't matter what Iowa does to fix the offense. You have no faith in the Hawkeyes at all. I feel bad for you.
No, I don’t actually think those will be his stats. It was an exaggeration, but not much of one. I believe he will have a decent season, just not one that will justify declaring for the draft. It’s not my lack of faith in the Hawkeyes. It’s my experience watching these coaches underutilize talent.
And this is assuming he will be named the starter.

Petras will be the 1st iowa QB with significant playing time to not make the league since Jake C. Not sure I agree with this at all.

Vandenberg never made a NFL team.

Petras, Vandenberg, and JC.....alll similar talent level.....Two of the three played out their career as Iowa starters...only JC got beat out and left program. JC even was bad when he transferred to directional school.

Petras, Vandenberg, and JC.....alll similar talent level.....Two of the three played out their career as Iowa starters...only JC got beat out and left program. JC even was bad when he transferred to directional school.
Perhaps similar talent, but not similar results. Vandenberg had a good season in 2011 (over 3000 yards passing, 25 TDs) and was more consistent on the field than the other two. (He should get some slack regarding 2012 and the transition to Greg Davis.) He realized much more of his potential than has Petras.

Although I was never a fan of Jake C., he was actually solid at EIU against that level of competition. He was bad when they played better competition.

Beathard could have asked to get pulled from that game anytime he wanted. The coaches thought that Beathard earned the right to determine his own time to exit that game. I don't disagree with them there.
Most players dont ask to get pulled (hence why they enacted the rule of taking their helmet).

Reactions: Ignored
Yeh, pretty obvious when May is #2 supposedly, but they bring in a TE for the last series. Sort of would be a good hint to me.

May had already made his planned departure known to staff prior to the bowl game,.. He wasn't #2 against Kentucky because he was headed out the door.

It was nice to see that Iowa ran designed runs for Labas. It at least gave us a chance to keep drives alive. Hopefully they will continue to implement plays like that with McNamara!

Yeh, pretty obvious when May is #2 supposedly, but they bring in a TE for the last series. Sort of would be a good hint to me.
This is A LOT to do about nothing. The Laporta "wrinkle" was something they worked on in practice, which was documented here during pre bowl practice. It was no different then running the wildcat for a few plays which many posters clamor for in this site. It was NOT a statement on anyone at the QB position, and I'm pretty sure if Labas had been injured, the May would have been in the game. Why we try to project out these scenarios and always make them about someone is beyond my reasoning.

provide some evidence that we are striking out please. Iowa just pulled in Cade. Labas looked like the could be decent with an O-line, and Marco's numbers speak for themselves. So once again tell me how they are "wiffing."
Since Brian was handed the OC job in January of 2017 the Iowa qb recruits have been Mansell, Petras, Padilla, Hogan, Labas, May.....I'm not sure what your definition of striking out is but it's pretty safe to say they haven't exactly been homeruns.

Reactions: NI hawk and littlez
Since Brian was handed the OC job in January of 2017 the Iowa qb recruits have been Mansell, Petras, Padilla, Hogan, Labas, May.....I'm not sure what your definition of striking out is but it's pretty safe to say they haven't exactly been homeruns.
I'll say McNamara, Labas, and Lanaiz(spelling) are all going to be great Hawkeye qbs. The rest, good people except for Deuce.

Reactions: savage84
KOK was our QB recruiting guy and the main dude signing off on offers to QBs. Now he is gone.

Ouch, that is a bad run of QB's. At this point the only one we really don't know about is Labas, and I'm not holding my breath on him. The sad thing is that these guys really haven't had any kind of success elsewhere at all. Padilla looks to be a D2 QB. I will say I'm holding out hope on Labas, but not sure how many guys anymore want to sit 2 more years behind a transfer QB.

I'll say McNamara, Labas, and Lanaiz(spelling) are all going to be great Hawkeye qbs. The rest, good people except for Deuce.
We shall see, was just pointing out that since Stanley things have gone to shit with qb recruiting and development as far as what we've seen on the field. I really hope you are correct although if Labas couldn't beat out PnP then I'm not overly optimistic on him, maybe getting a real qb coach might help going forward. Improved line play will be mandatory, just lots of things to fix on offense

We shall see, was just pointing out that since Stanley things have gone to shit with qb recruiting and development as far as what we've seen on the field. I really hope you are correct although if Labas couldn't beat out PnP then I'm not overly optimistic on him, maybe getting a real qb coach might help going forward. Improved line play will be mandatory, just lots of things to fix on offense
We certainly haven't hit any homeruns. I'm hoping Labas stays and Lainaz is everything he is said to be.

I think this is a good move for the kid. That's a high quality Jr college conference. Tons of high level D1 kids have come from there. If he can start there and actually prove himself he'll get a shot at least somewhere. Needs to get on the field and show what he has.
I'm just glad he is getting to continue his career in football and has a plan to play d1 football in the future.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
I think this is a good move for the kid. That's a high quality Jr college conference. Tons of high level D1 kids have come from there. If he can start there and actually prove himself he'll get a shot at least somewhere. Needs to get on the field and show what he has.
At high powered CC's you may not even need to start to get a shot somewhere. Practices are where a great deal of G5 kids their looks.

Just looked up Hutchison CC where Alvin Kamara played, they have put 40 players in the NFL. That's a big number.

I hope he gets a shot somewhere. Unfortunately, if he had stayed at Iowa, he would have been stuck at QB3 or QB2 for most of his career and likely would have seen little in game action.

Reactions: Bishop1971
This is A LOT to do about nothing. The Laporta "wrinkle" was something they worked on in practice, which was documented here during pre bowl practice. It was no different then running the wildcat for a few plays which many posters clamor for in this site. It was NOT a statement on anyone at the QB position, and I'm pretty sure if Labas had been injured, the May would have been in the game. Why we try to project out these scenarios and always make them about someone is beyond my reasoning.
Actually, it was VERY different than (not "then") running the wildcat for a few plays that posters had clamored for. Wildcat is generally run with your speediest, most elusive player on your entire roster. A Christian McCaffery. A Goodson. Brian ran it with a tight end who runs a 4.7 or 4.8 40. There's a reason no other coach has done the same. It's flat out dumb.

Actually, it was VERY different than (not "then") running the wildcat for a few plays that posters had clamored for. Wildcat is generally run with your speediest, most elusive player on your entire roster. A Christian McCaffery. A Goodson. Brian ran it with a tight end who runs a 4.7 or 4.8 40. There's a reason no other coach has done the same. It's flat out dumb.
Rutgers did it through the entire season. Just saying.

Petras, Hogan, and May were all 4*'s by Rivals.

As usual you know bubkas about what your saying, and your only here to shit on anything to do with the program

You realize that Vandy's junior year is in the top 5 best seasons by an Iowa quarterback, right?

Jr season: 4. James Vandenberg__ 232-404 __ .574 __ 3,022 __ 25 __ 2011. The 4 is seasons ranked by QB. No one other than guys named Chuck had a more productive season.

Here's the total season stats.

*2011IowaBig TenJRQB1323740458.730227.57.9257138.5

So, who should have played that season? A QB that never played for Iowa obviously. An imaginary QB in the imaginary world?

Senior year was different-but the Bear Hunter had suffered a very bad injury from which he never would fully recover. Couldn't drive the ball.. Obviously KF would have known that James would not fully recover from the injury. On top of which, the reserve was true freshmen Jake Rudock, another guy that got ran out of Iowa City, after having the 10th most productive season in U history, ironically.

When asked about George McClellan after the war US Grant just said..."George McClellan, the greatest mystery of the war". A metaphor is lurking in there 'cuz playing Petras last season. I think that explains the coaches' decision to play Petras this year. Just a mystery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT