ADVERTISEMENT

Bye Bye, Mediacom

You Win Pop Tv GIF by One Day At A Time

I'm really hoping Google fiber makes it's way to Cumming. But I don't have Mediacom. And never will again.

Reactions: Moral
Dropped them for fiber this spring once it became available. Wasn't a huge price savings, but I hate that company so I was glad to be rid of them for a superior product.

So Google fiber is a thing? What's their end game, seems very limited right now. Is the plan to make that nationwide or just something they're toying with in urban areas?

I pay a bunch for DirecTV (little options for Bally sports Midwest for Cardinals/blues games). My satellite could go out in a storm in the bottom of the ninth in game 7 of the world series, and I'd still be thrilled I'll never given another dime to Mediacom.

Reactions: hawkbirch
Good for you.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I had "cable", be it for TV or internet or phone. I'm betting somewhere in the mid 1990's when I was still living in apartments.

I've lived in my current place for going on 20 years now, and still get weekly mail offers for Mediacom. You'd think after 20 years they'd finally get the hint.

We switched to Mediacom in 2020 because that was the fastest available in our area at the time. With all 4 of us home, our old internet couldn’t keep up. It felt like it took forever between when we heard Google Fiber was coming and when we could actually sign up. Mediacom was $149 a month. Google is $70. Easiest decision ever.

I pay a bunch for DirecTV (little options for Bally sports Midwest for Cardinals/blues games). My satellite could go out in a storm in the bottom of the ninth in game 7 of the world series, and I'd still be thrilled I'll never given another dime to Mediacom.
I finally 'suspended' my DirecTv a few months back. Can still stream ESPN, Foxsports, ABC with my log in. I keep Direct just for Cardinals baseball although my wife complains I don't watch near enough games. Have you looked into streaming Cards games as it's my understanding there are some platforms that stream Bally Sports MW. Either way I just love not having that Directv payment and although suspended and pay nothing I still have an account and watch all of the sports I want.

On hold right now cancelling Mediacom and it feels like winning the lottery. We had Google Fiber hooked up this morning and reduced our internet costs in half. Mediacom is the worst.
I switched to T-Mobile 5G. I don't do gaming, and stream Netflix, Youtube TV, or Prime. My internet is also half what it was.

Mediacomm kept changing my plan, and of course the price was always higher, and I had to change equipment.

Since I changed, I get a postcard in the mail begging me to come back for some 1 year or 2 year deal, that's not really a good deal when you read the fine print.

I've always been taught it's easier to keep a good customer than find a new one.

I can't cut the cord on Mediacom until the boys are out of the house. All they do all day and night is play online video games. I've tried to explain to them that other users can rip off our bandwith. They don't give a shit.

I switched to T-Mobile 5G. I don't do gaming, and stream Netflix, Youtube TV, or Prime. My internet is also half what it was.

Mediacomm kept changing my plan, and of course the price was always higher, and I had to change equipment.

Since I changed, I get a postcard in the mail begging me to come back for some 1 year or 2 year deal, that's not really a good deal when you read the fine print.

I've always been taught it's easier to keep a good customer than find a new one.
That's strange. I just moved a year ago and have had Mediacom since. No changes since.

Welcome to the fiber world. So much better and in my experience, first with MetroNet, and now Mi-Fiber has been their customer service isn’t even in the same universe as Mediascum.

You’d be money ahead with YTTV and the Bally app.

Reactions: BelemNole
I put the feeling of leaving Sparklight/CableOne for MetroNet right up there with the birth of my kids.

• Love
Best internet I ever had was in a farmhouse, middle of nowhere, the whole area was hooked up to fiber from a USDA supported community communications cooperative. I’d pay like $70 a month for a phone and stupid fast internet. Then every January I’d get a rebate for like $500-$900. Apparently It pays to live amongst the charmed farmers. Now I live in town with sufficient density that it is profitable for a private company to offer an inferior service for an increased price. Free money for the masters (in IA corn is king), free market for the suckers.

Got rid of mediacom for our local internet last year. It's a little slower and $34 more a month, but worth it.

Signed up for T-Mobile internet for $60/mo. (I don't have their phone service). Installed it and it was "fine". Suitable speeds, no interruptions during the test period. Almost $70 less than Mediacom. I was sold.

Called Mediacom to cancel. But they said since I have been such a loyal customer they would lower my bill to $72/mo. That's a $56 savings just because I called them.

It's outrageous, but I took it. Mediacom with my eero equipment is faster than T-Mobile, in my house anyway.

I hate Mediacom.

Reactions: hawksurprize
That’s how I felt about 10 years ago now when I got rid of it.
Unfortunately my sister told me recently that they were getting rid of it soon as well.
That’s a problem because I use their login to stream all my live sports. Gotta figure out what I’m gonna do next.

Signed up for T-Mobile internet for $60/mo. (I don't have their phone service). Installed it and it was "fine". Suitable speeds, no interruptions during the test period. Almost $70 less than Mediacom. I was sold.

Called Mediacom to cancel. But they said since I have been such a loyal customer they would lower my bill to $72/mo. That's a $56 savings just because I called them.

It's outrageous, but I took it. Mediacom with my eero equipment is faster than T-Mobile, in my house anyway.

I hate Mediacom.
Yup that's how they kept me around for so long, we'd consider cancelling, call and they'd offer something enticing. In the end we had their 1 GB internet, whole home wifi and every channel they carried for around $200. It was fine for a long time until started having connection issues that they couldn't figure out which wasn't ideal for working from home. Switched to southslope fiber, paying pretty much same as was for Mediacom on their 'special deal' but the connection is consistent and have never had an issue in the 2 years since making the switch. It was a pretty good feeling when I dropped off their box of crap. Did have to make one final call when they tried to charge us for one final month after we cancelled but they corrected it.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Yup that's how they kept me around for so long, we'd consider cancelling, call and they'd offer something enticing. In the end we had their 1 GB internet, whole home wifi and every channel they carried for around $200. It was fine for a long time until started having connection issues that they couldn't figure out which wasn't ideal for working from home. Switched to southslope fiber, paying pretty much same as was for Mediacom on their 'special deal' but the connection is consistent and have never had an issue in the 2 years since making the switch. It was a pretty good feeling when I dropped off their box of crap. Did have to make one final call when they tried to charge us for one final month after we cancelled but they corrected it.
I wish southslope was an option here. Or even Imon.

Reactions: hawkmart
Been waiting to see what happens with Bally with the bankruptcy of the parent company.
If your setup is like mine before I got ride of Directv, Directv was 2x to 3x more expensive than YTTV, and for a better product really, with no outages when there is bad weather. The difference was over a couple of grand a year. The gap has closed but to me it still is a very easy decision between the two products.

Last edited:
On hold right now cancelling Mediacom and it feels like winning the lottery. We had Google Fiber hooked up this morning and reduced our internet costs in half. Mediacom is the worst.
Looking to do the same soon. Has anyone used Verizon 5g? I've read that the services varies depending on your distance from a cell tower. I don't do gaming so my Internet needs are pretty basic. Any thoughts?

That’s how I felt about 10 years ago now when I got rid of it.
Unfortunately my sister told me recently that they were getting rid of it soon as well.
That’s a problem because I use their login to stream all my live sports. Gotta figure out what I’m gonna do next.
Now who are you going to steal from?

Why is it strange you've had no changes in a year? You think a year is a good gauge?
You said "Mediacomm kept changing my plan". How long until you think I should report back to you? 18 months, 2 years?

You will absolutely LOVE Google Fiber. Ours has been near flawless. Never had an outage when we've been using the internet. Twice we received a small credit on our bill for 2 short outages that we never even knew happened. We've had it for 6 years or so.

• Love
I can't cut the cord on Mediacom until the boys are out of the house. All they do all day and night is play online video games. I've tried to explain to them that other users can rip off our bandwith. They don't give a shit.
Who runs that house, anyway? ;)

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
You said "Mediacomm kept changing my plan". How long until you think I should report back to you? 18 months, 2 years?
I was on Mediacomm for 8 years. Since I've left, they've offered 1 year plans and 2 year plans that expire at the end of those terms. They've also changed their plan structure at least twice in the past 5 years as they've "upgraded" their technology.

You tried to make some sort of point that contradicts my post. You got the response you deserved.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT