ADVERTISEMENT

C19 numbers are rising...

3.9% 14 day positivity average for the state.
I once got a poster here to acknowledge that gettig under 5% would be a threshold to begin lifting restrictions. Don't see them saying that now though.

Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
I once got a poster here to acknowledge that gettig under 5% would be a threshold to begin lifting restrictions. Don't see them saying that now though.
Just curious. What kind of restrictions are still in place in Iowa?

So yes, you don't believe the CDC or any expert body and feel youre smarter/better equipped to make those conclusions. How incredibly reckless and arrogant.
How about this for a mantra: put down the spoon, pickup a dumbbell.
Which expert body told me washing my hands frequently was a bad idea in a pandemic? Again.....my eyes have shown me frequently washing ones hands with soap is a great way to prevent the spread and infection of germs and viruses. Where and when did the CDC tell me not to do wash my hands?

Which expert body told me washing my hands frequently was a bad idea in a pandemic? Again.....my eyes have shown me frequently washing ones hands with soap is a great way to prevent the spread and infection of germs and viruses. Where and when did the CDC tell me not to do wash my hands?
Who said handwashing is a bad thing? No one in this thread. What you did say is that is a primary mitigation strategy, contrary to the CDC's position that contact contraction is minimal. Then you proceeded to acknowledge data showing the primary mitigation strategy is to not be unhealthy. Data, not your anecdotal eyes.

Well, they didn't. But, they also said fomite, or surface transmission, rarely spreads Covid.

" Catching the virus from surfaces — although plausible — seems to be rare (E. Goldman Lancet Infect. Dis. 20, 892–893; 2020).

Despite this, some public-health agencies still emphasize that surfaces pose a threat and should be disinfected frequently. The result is a confusing public message when clear guidance is needed on how to prioritize efforts to prevent the virus spreading."

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00277-8

Mask mandates are still in effect in several counties, quarantine restrictions in schools ban healthy kids from the classroom for weeks, gatherings are still limited, spectator restrictions remain in place, and more.
North Dakota sounds pretty similar. I think Fargo and Grand Forks still have mask mandates. No restrictions on capacity except at sporting events I believe and those are all over the place; from 0 restrictions to maybe 50% capacity. We’ve been lucky in my kids’ district as they’ve been in the classroom the entire school year.

1589206235552.gif

Well, they didn't. But, they also said fomite, or surface transmission, rarely spreads Covid.

" Catching the virus from surfaces — although plausible — seems to be rare (E. Goldman Lancet Infect. Dis. 20, 892–893; 2020).

Despite this, some public-health agencies still emphasize that surfaces pose a threat and should be disinfected frequently. The result is a confusing public message when clear guidance is needed on how to prioritize efforts to prevent the virus spreading."

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00277-8
So you're saying the CDC told me NOT to wash my hands as a method of preventing the spread of germs and the virus?

She can absolutely get one right now. You just might have to drive a bit. There are currently openings across the state:
https://www.vaccine

Hmmm, which town's Hy-Vee has vaccine appointments?

Charles City
Albia
Fort Dodge
Storm Lake

Pages and pages of appointments unfilled. Did it ever occur to someone in charge that it's time to redistribute that available supply to areas of the state that have a demand for it? FFS.

Ain't nobody in those shit towns needing that liberal vaccine with tracking capabilities.

Yeah Kimmy is really killing it all right...:rolleyes::mad:

So you're saying the CDC told me NOT to wash my hands as a method of preventing the spread of germs and the virus?
Youre the worst kind of troll - at least put in some effort, and make it entertaining again. Ignoring irrefutable facts is an incredibly boring response from you.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf

Charles City
Albia
Fort Dodge
Storm Lake

Pages and pages of appointments unfilled. Did it ever occur to someone in charge that it's time to redistribute that available supply to areas of the state that have a demand for it? FFS.

Ain't nobody in those shit towns needing that liberal vaccine with tracking capabilities.

You understand the logistics of transporting the vaccine, correct? Its a whole helluva lot easier to transport people to the vaccine vs the flip side. If its a priority, people will make the effort. They cant make it much easier.

You understand the logistics of transporting the vaccine, correct? Its a whole helluva lot easier to transport people to the vaccine vs the flip side. If its a priority, people will make the effort. They cant make it much easier.

I do, but wouldn't be surprised if subsequent shipment distributions are not adjusted accordingly to get it to the areas where there is high demand and mounting frustration.

Another secondary issue is that Hy-Vee does not have the current expanded priority group listed correctly on their vaccination webpage. If you go by their information, only Pre-K through 12 school staff and workers in childcare programs; residents 65 years of age and older are eligible to make an appointment and receive the vaccine. That's a problem as well.

Charles City
Albia
Fort Dodge
Storm Lake

People can always drive to them. I drove 1 hour and 45 minutes one way to get it.

I continue to track the data in Iowa, as of today:

Hospital admissions for C-19: Daily average for the last 10 days is up over 17% over the previous 10 day average

ICU C-19 patients: Daily average for the last 10 days is up over 6.7% over the previous 10 day average

C-19 Hospitalized: Daily average for the last 10 days is up over 15% over the previous 10 day average

Not the trend we want to be seeing here right now. Let's go Iowa, get with the program!

Hospital admissions for C-19: Daily average for the last 10 days is up over 17% over the previous 10 day average

ICU C-19 patients: Daily average for the last 10 days is up over 6.7% over the previous 10 day average

C-19 Hospitalized: Daily average for the last 10 days is up over 15% over the previous 10 day average

Not the trend we want to be seeing here right now. Let's go Iowa, get with the program!
Which program would you like to "get with"?

And if the Cubs get 2 hits today that will represent a 100% increase in hits from their last game. Let's celebrate the 100% increase...

You know the three W’s.

Wear a mask
Wash your hands
Watch your distance

Pretty easy stuff.
Iowa hasn't been doing that? Seems every store I go to, every restaurant I try to go to, each concert I've been to has had nothing but masked people, limited capacity and plenty of space. Do I just live in a bubble?

Iowa hasn't been doing that? Seems every store I go to, every restaurant I try to go to, each concert I've been to has had nothing but masked people, limited capacity and plenty of space. Do I just live in a bubble?

It depends on the time and place honestly. Went to two track meets in Washington and Mt. Pleasant and mask wearing was less than 30% I’d estimate. Meet in WDM it was over 80%.

It depends on the time and place honestly. Went to two track meets in Washington and Mt. Pleasant and mask wearing was less than 30% I’d estimate. Meet in WDM it was over 80%.
But the DM metro has consistently been a hotspot when Iowa has had rising numbers, not just in total of course, but reletively as well.

Maybe were just be too arrogant thinking we have any sort of major impact. There is very little coorelation b/w lockdown policy and masking policies having an effect on death rates

Last edited:

This is a bit concerning considering the majority of people over 65 are vaccinated now. So, what age groups exactly are being hospitalized? I thought we were told that hospitalizations would go down once Seniors were vaccinated?

@artradley any ideas as to what is going on? I'm hoping this is the last and final surge, if you will.

This is a bit concerning considering the majority of people over 65 are vaccinated now. So, what age groups exactly are being hospitalized? I thought we were told that hospitalizations would go down once Seniors were vaccinated?

@artradley any ideas as to what is going on? I'm hoping this is the last and final surge, if you will.

1) "Majority" does not equal "all"
2) The info you seek is easily found: https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/hospitalization-analysis
3) Hospitalizations are way down - dont be so hyperbolic
4) In case you dont want to look at the data, 75% of current hospitalizations are in patients 50 or older, 51% are 60 or older.

1) "Majority" does not equal "all"
2) The info you seek is easily found: https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/hospitalization-analysis
3) Hospitalizations are way down - dont be so hyperbolic
4) In case you dont want to look at the data, 75% of current hospitalizations are in patients 50 or older, 51% are 60 or older.
What was hyperbolic about what I said? I said it's a "bit concerning". Hospilitizations are slightly up in Iowa from the past week or two.

Reactions: mattymoknows
Isn‘t that an outside event with plenty of room for unrelated groups to sit more than 6’ apart?
Naturally it was outdoors, but the first two meets were packed with people, including the stands and the areas near the track itself. I was constantly on the move in an attempt to keep at least 6 feet distance, but it was difficult. The WDM meet was much better because masks were largely worn and attendance was limited to two spectators per senior athlete which made it much easier to distance your self from others.

Updated Iowa C-19 trends through today:

Hospital admissions for C-19: Daily average for the last 10 days is up ~6.7% over the previous 10 day average

ICU C-19 patients: Daily average for the last 10 days is up over 7.2% over the previous 10 day average

C-19 Hospitalized: Daily average for the last 10 days is up ~7.1% over the previous 10 day average

Still increasing trends but has cooled a bit compared to a week ago. We should be trending down IMO, not up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT