ADVERTISEMENT

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Cabo used to be great, but then again anything on the coast of Mexico used to be great. Not sure I'd go any more now that the cartels have taken over most of those cities. Whatever you do, be polite and don't start shit.
Even then you can just be in the wrong place at the wrong time where a rival gang member is being killed

Reactions: Eternal Return
I mean, nothing bad has ever happened in the US. I’ve stayed at the Hyatt Ziva there and loved it. Stayed at Marquis Los Cabos last year and it was great as well. The most dangerous thing was the surf. Stay in the tourist areas, don’t do shady things, stay out of the water and you’ll be fine.

I've been twice and really enjoyed it however I stayed at a pretty nice all inclusive and only wandered off downtown once and only during the day. I didn't feel the slightest bit in danger.

It's a party town obviously. Drinks are flowing all day everyday at those all inclusive resorts. I prefer it over PV as the mountains and lovers beach give a great backdrop.

Was there for a week in July. Had a blast and never felt unsafe. I never went "exploring ", though.

My cousin and I were discussing doing some exploring. Maybe day trip to Cabo and drink. We have a bad tendency to drink too much though so not sure it's a great idea.

We were shook down by parking lot attendant at the marina. Had rental car for a resort and went on an all day sail. Had a few drinks then dinner and went to leave garage and they charged 4 times more than the cost listed right there on the sign. We didn’t want any problem so after arguing for a brief minute we paid and went on our way. Gringos robbed again

I have heard the cartels are all about the ‘no pics, you must die’ rules and follow them to the ‘t’. At least get a good duffle bag

I mean, nothing bad has ever happened in the US. I’ve stayed at the Hyatt Ziva there and loved it. Stayed at Marquis Los Cabos last year and it was great as well. The most dangerous thing was the surf. Stay in the tourist areas, don’t do shady things, stay out of the water and you’ll be fine.
It's not that bad things don't happen in the US, it is the brutality and often-times indiscriminate nature of killings that is so disconcerting. It doesn't really affect us as we basically only travel for Spring Break and we're resort types with maybe a side trip or two. But the thought of being in a resort-area bar that is either fire-bombed or riddled with machine gun fire simply because you were in it when a rival gang member was is terrifying.

Reactions: jasonrann
It's not that bad things don't happen in the US, it is the brutality and often-times indiscriminate nature of killings that is so disconcerting. It doesn't really affect us as basically only travel for Spring Break we're resort types with maybe a side trip or two. But the thought of being in a resort-area bar that is either fire-bombed or riddled with machine gun fire simply because you were in it when a rival gang member was is terrifying.

Just bring an extra head along.

Heading out next Wednesday. Thought this may piggy back well on the meth thread. So I will just get this off my chest:

I will not be doing any Mexican Meth (or any meth for that matter) while in Mexico (or any other country for that matter).

Odds I come back alive?

Reactions: jasonrann
Heading out next Wednesday. Thought this may piggy back well on the meth thread. So I will just get this off my chest:

I will not be doing any Mexican Meth (or any meth for that matter) while in Mexico (or any other country for that matter).

Odds I come back alive?
tree fiddy

Reactions: WisestIowan

Odds I come back alive?

Just be sure and wear this shirt and nobody will screw with you. They LOVE him down there, trust me. Is this you?

3500.jpg

Reactions: JohnBasedow

Odds I come back alive?
Kidding aside, this is the time of year where Mexico sounds fanfreakingtastic. Cold. Dirty snow/ice. Everything is bleak looking. Sad we're not going anywhere warm for spring break in 2020. Enjoy and drink a methanol laced "jake danielson" for me!

Kidding aside, this is the time of year where Mexico sounds fanfreakingtastic. Cold. Dirty snow/ice. Everything is bleak looking. Sad we're not going anywhere warm for spring break in 2020. Enjoy and drink a methanol laced "jake danielson" for me!

We could fly to SoCal and hang out with the honeys, E!

Anyone ever been? I am going in February and hoping to come back alive. We're actually staying in San Jose del Cabo which is like 27 miles north of Cabo San Lucas. All inclusive family vacation. Me, my GF, my dad, stepmom, two cousins, their spouses and my aunt (no pics of any of these people).

Ideas on how not to end up as 8 heads in a duffle bag?

The best thing to do is spend most of your time off the resort, especially late at night. Keep large amounts of cash with you at all times. If you see any questionable characters just flash the cash and tell them there’s more where that came from. If that doesn’t work then mention your support for the border wall because it will keep people like them out and that should shut them right up.

Have a great trip!

Odds I come back alive?
Without doing Mexican Meth - 50%
With doing Mexican Meth - 75%

The two best vacations I have had have been in Cancun. This was 10 and 3 years ago before things started getting more weird down there so I dont know now.

If they continue to have trouble with the cartel getting in to the resort areas, Mexico is going to have a real problem. A ton of their industry is tourism.

The two best vacations I have had have been in Cancun. This was 10 and 3 years ago before things started getting more weird down there so I dont know now.

If they continue to have trouble with the cartel getting in to the resort areas, Mexico is going to have a real problem. A ton of their industry is tourism.

Right now, Cabo is one of the safest places in Mexico. The government has really cracked down there on the cartels. Acapulco, for instance, is really bad right now. Unsure about the Riviera Maya area as I probably will never go there again since Cabo and PV (also dangerous right now) are WAY better.

Right now, Cabo is one of the safest places in Mexico. The government has really cracked down there on the cartels. Acapulco, for instance, is really bad right now. Unsure about the Riviera Maya area as I probably will never go there again since Cabo and PV (also dangerous right now) are WAY better.

I'm curious about PV, is that a recent thing? I was there about a year and a half ago and it seemed pretty chill.

I am back in the USA and alive. No Mexican drugs. I have watery poops now but I think that was the taco in the Mexico City Airport from last night.

i am going to Los Cabos in early May.

Very excited to get back there. Love the mobile-commerce guys on the beaches. Very resourceful

GF and I will be in Cozumel in less than 2 weeks. Cozumel Carnival is going on during the week we're there. Her parents have a place down there. This is the 2nd year in a row we're headed down and I didn't feel any threats last year. I usually ran in the morning by myself down to where the cruise ships come in and back to their place. Can't wait for the pico de gallo!

Please, stay out of the water? I'm at VIRM in the Riviera Maya as I post and body surfed on a red flag. If you aren't a rock, you'll be fine.

Please, stay out of the water? I'm at VIRM in the Riviera Maya as I post and body surfed on a red flag. If you aren't a rock, you'll be fine.
Oh damn I'm jealous. We've been to Cancun/Playa twice to Iberostar properties. Many wonderful memories but possibly my favorite is bodysurfing with my son, BIL, and nephews. Some days the waves are perfect and you can ride them a long way in. csb

Oh damn I'm jealous. We've been to Cancun/Playa twice to Iberostar properties. Many wonderful memories but possibly my favorite is bodysurfing with my son, BIL, and nephews. Some days the waves are perfect and you can ride them a long way in. csb
We wanted to stay at the Grand because of the golf privelages but pricing was egregious. Glad we didn't, we've heard some bad stuff about the place.

We wanted to stay at the Grand because of the golf privelages but pricing was egregious. Glad we didn't, we've heard some bad stuff about the place.
We "slummed it" at the Pariso Lindo because we had young kids and they had a wave pool. My standards were lower then and those were the first two times we stayed at an all-inclusive resort and the weather was great so we were mostly pleased. The one main gripe I had was that they clearly put rot gut in "premium" liquor bottles. Not my preferred gin, but the best they had at the time was Tanquery. I ordered one on the rocks and it made me want to puke. Like Hawkeye vodka bad. I can handle cheap booze but passing it off as something else is shady, and it deprived me of the opportunity to either order something different or else order it with a bunch of club soda. On the flip side, if you ever have a chance to do beaches, especially in Negril, wow wow wow. Amazing but it was twice as much, at least.

We "slummed it" at the Pariso Lindo because we had young kids and they had a wave pool. My standards were lower then and those were the first two times we stayed at an all-inclusive resort and the weather was great so we were mostly pleased. The one main gripe I had was that they clearly put rot gut in "premium" liquor bottles. Not my preferred gin, but the best they had at the time was Tanquery. I ordered one on the rocks and it made me want to puke. Like Hawkeye vodka bad. I can handle cheap booze but passing it off as something else is shady, and it deprived me of the opportunity to either order something different or else order it with a bunch of club soda. On the flip side, if you ever have a chance to do beaches, especially in Negril, wow wow wow. Amazing but it was twice as much, at least.
I get your rant. We stayed at the PL many moons ago and we had a great time but we've heard many bad things in general.

I'm not sure we'll stay at the Grand, given what we've heard.

In Riviera Maya you are correct. Especially at the Valentin. In Cabo stay out of the water. It’s black flags there. Unless you are on Medano Beach or one of the little coves it’s incredibly dangerous.
YoureY the boss, boss. We should talk about the Riv Maya sometime. Seems to be going downhill.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT