ADVERTISEMENT

Cade had the numbers but ...?? Is he consistent and good enough?

uihawk82

HB All-American
Gold Member
Nov 17, 2021
Passing for 176 yards on 19 of 23 passes. We would love that all the time, about 80%, hell yes. But he missed a couple of wide open receivers like when he tucked it and ran. Yes, another play and he will see that receiver. He was low on some passes like one over the middle to Lachey which made Luke go down while catching it rather than run for who knows how many yards because no one was near him. He was way behind RVZee on a short pass over the middle. Plus he started very slow against ILL St and finished poorly against ISU.

I ask you, does he have the consistency of 66% completions and hitting receivers in stride to be very good 95% of the time? I dont know, maybe he is still getting back to the game moving slower.

I know it was the OLine's fault with a couple of sacks but it Cade didnt even seem to see it coming.

I am fine with him starting, he has the most experience, he can be really good throwing the ball and running the offense.

But I would have him on a somewhat short leash when he starts to have some bad throws all in a row it might be time for Sullivan for a couple of series, then maybe Cade againg depending on what happens.

Reactions: GHawk
Inconsistent is a great description.

He had some great throws to Gill, Buie and KB yesterday but then had a couple WTF ones to VZ and Lachey

Overall I think TL knows CM limitations so we are going to see a lot more of those 10-20 yard routes. Eventho I would love to see more of those bombs (like Troy)...idk if CM has the arm or the time to get it there unfortunately

The Sullivan packages inside the red zone was a nice change up. Gives more options IMO

Can’t keep missing wide open guys for TDs. Yesterday he did it again. That’s 3 times in 3 games.

Yep, had Luke wide open in the first quarter. And his throwing motion looks weird to me and he throws off his back foot way too much. I’m not sure how this will work out against better defenses.

I’d say yesterday was his best performance as a Hawk so that’s a positive.

Passing for 176 yards on 19 of 23 passes. We would love that all the time, about 80%, hell yes. But he missed a couple of wide open receivers like when he tucked it and ran. Yes, another play and he will see that receiver. He was low on some passes like one over the middle to Lachey which made Luke go down while catching it rather than run for who knows how many yards because no one was near him. He was way behind RVZee on a short pass over the middle. Plus he started very slow against ILL St and finished poorly against ISU.

I ask you, does he have the consistency of 66% completions and hitting receivers in stride to be very good 95% of the time? I dont know, maybe he is still getting back to the game moving slower.

I know it was the OLine's fault with a couple of sacks but it Cade didnt even seem to see it coming.

I am fine with him starting, he has the most experience, he can be really good throwing the ball and running the offense.

But I would have him on a somewhat short leash when he starts to have some bad throws all in a row it might be time for Sullivan for a couple of series, then maybe Cade againg depending on what happens.
His 1st pass of the game (a wide open reciever) was late, slow and a pick 6 against a good defense. Hes very hard to watch. He has zero ability throw a deep ball because of his flawed mechanics.
Can't help but think his rebuilt knees are still in his head.

No, he is not good enough and it’ll prove costly very soon.

MUST get better, starting at practice tomorrow..

The commentators mentioned & showed CM throwing/gripping the ball without fingers on the stitches. Thought that was strange, but not sure if this affects his accuracy or zip on the ball.

The jury is still out. He hasn't looked great but he completes 63%. He doesn't throw short of the sticks, like Iowa QBs of the last 4 years. I saw the offense is standing somewhere in the 50s so that's a massive improvement and couldn't happen without much better QB play.

On the other hand, can we be certain he's the best option? The NW transfer has good starting experience and completed around 70% over two seasons. Definitely more mobile and athletic. Very happy to see the un-Iowa move to playing the better athlete at the goal line. That is proof positive Lester is calling the plays and players. The Gill Man looks like the best receiver so there is that history as well.

As the world turns.

He was OK against a below average D.
Additionally, he is not a threat to run. Opposing D does not have to account for him which is huge in this current era of college ball.
At the very least Sullivan needs to get more snaps than just the goal line gimmick that we saw against troy.

The commentators mentioned & showed CM throwing/gripping the ball without fingers on the stitches. Thought that was strange, but not sure if this affects his accuracy or zip on the ball.
Yeah not using the stitches is very weird and I have never heard a qb doing that

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
He was OK against a below average D.
Additionally, he is not a threat to run. Opposing D does not have to account for him which is huge in this current era of college ball.
At the very least Sullivan needs to get more snaps than just the goal line gimmick that we saw against troy.
I fear we’re in store for a Christianson/Stanzi year. The backup being the better player yet not seeing the field till the season is already half way over.

I fear we’re in store for a Christianson/Stanzi year. The backup being the better player yet not seeing the field till the season is already half way over.
somebody refresh my memory.

how many games into 2008 were we when Stanzi took over? I remember we started 3-0, then lost three close ones. so probably it happened after the third loss or so, but I don't remember.

how many games into 2008 were we when Stanzi took over? I remember we started 3-0, then lost three close ones. so probably it happened after the third loss or so, but I don't remember.
Stanzi and Christensen shared starts thru the first 6 games. I remember clearly that Stanzi started at least the Iowa State and MSU games. Jake C came in late in the ISU game to get the hawk offense a boost in the win. Stanzi played pretty well in the MSU game even with the loss.

I think Jake started the other four games and he was very inconsistent after he was not very good in 2007. Stanzi played so well the end of 2008 thru 2010. He was a big time hawk winner

I think it was actually after the 4th game that we lost to Pitt if I remember correctly. Maybe not, but it was clear to everyone except the ol capt. Or, more likely it was obvious to him as well but loyalty to bad decisions seem to be more important to him.

The official box scores of the games show Jake started the 1st game against Maine, Ricky started the 2nd game, Ricky the 3rd, and Jake the 4th at Pitt. But all in all Ricky made more plays and did not throw the ball into the dirt nearly as much as Jake did.

Inconsistent is a great description.

He had some great throws to Gill, Buie and KB yesterday but then had a couple WTF ones to VZ and Lachey

Overall I think TL knows CM limitations so we are going to see a lot more of those 10-20 yard routes. Eventho I would love to see more of those bombs (like Troy)...idk if CM has the arm or the time to get it there unfortunately

The Sullivan packages inside the red zone was a nice change up. Gives more options IMO
On the throw to RVZ, Troy was in a zone and Reece should’ve sat down in an open area. Cade tried to throw to the right spot and “throw him open”, but VZ kept dragging.

Now, one could argue that the ball could’ve been thrown sooner, but the throwing window may not have been there at that right moment

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT