ADVERTISEMENT

Cael Sanderson

Mr Deeds

HR All-American
Feb 8, 2006
I am curious where Penn State would be, and where the rest of NCAA wrestling would be if he never had started coaching.

Also, is there any chance he gets bored and decides he wants a new challenege? Maybe come back to Iowa State or something? Or is he trying to top Dan Gable?

It sure will be bitter sweet when we can beat him again.

Reactions: lionlover
Penn State was nothing without Cael. Cael was nothing (as a coach) without Penn State.

Interesting comment- seriously. Which makes this all the more interesting why he couldn't get it done at a tradition rich program like Iowa State (failed, had to leave alma mater). He goes to a different school and is a miracle worker.

Heck you would have thought (being the greatest, most prolific wrestler of all time) he could have easily invaded the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, drawn around the country to his alma mater. For some reason he just couldn't cut the mustard there.

Interesting comment- seriously. Which makes this all the more interesting why he couldn't get it done at a tradition rich program like Iowa State (failed, had to leave alma mater). He goes to a different school and is a miracle worker.

Heck you would have thought (being the greatest, most prolific wrestler of all time) he could have easily invaded the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, drawn around the country to his alma mater. For some reason he just couldn't cut the mustard there.
Tom Ryan made Hofstra a respectable program but not a world class program like tOSU. Cael kept ISU respectable, but nowhere near the program he has at PSU. Popolizio, Dresser and Brands don’t get enough credit. Brands put VT on the map and Dresser continued it. The fact that Iowa is only trailing tOSU and PSU is predictable and amazing. Those schools have money and awesome HS programs. Michigan’s rise is attributable to money and talent as well. Iowa’s “tradition” is keeping them in the mix, and TOM BRANDS.

Cael going to PSU was the perfect storm, without him PSU is just a good team he put them way over the edge. I don’t see him going anywhere else. 7 of the last 8 that’s a dynasty brewing if it isn’t already.

Agree- but he had the perfect storm at ISU. Why couldn’t he put them over the edge with the same staff and great facilities, not to mention ISU was arguably a more tradition rich program AND his alma mater. He recruits across the country now and could have easily snagged PA, Ohio, California recruits, right? Again for some reason couldn’t get it done there and is a recruiting/coaching savant at PSU.

Last edited:
Agree- but he had the perfect storm at ISU. Why couldn’t he put them over the edge with the same staff and great facilities, not to mention ISU was arguably a more tradition rich program AND his alma mater. He recruits across the country now and could have easily snagged PA, Ohio, California recruits, right? Again for some reason couldn’t get it done there and is a recruiting/coaching savant at PSU.
Iowa State was tradition rich yes, and definitely a place where he could and was winning (minus the team titles) but I don’t think it was ever a better situation than what he has now. I believe had he stayed they would’ve eventually won a title and been in the conversation for team titles but coaching the premier school in PA probably the only other situations I’d think would be the equivalent to that are Ohio State, Rutgers (I say this in regards to location) and mayber ASU. I’m sure having to compete in state with Iowa back than wasn’t easy either. I compare him going to PSU to Lebron James going to Miami. He saw an opportunity to win and he took it. You guys know I’m not a PSU fan but I gotta give the credit where it’s due.

If there's one thing true about Cael, it's he does what is good for Cael.

From his shafting of his former coach and school, it's clear Cael wanted greater personal glory. He couldn't get it done at ISU, so he left for the fertile wrestling country of PA. He took David Taylor, Cyler, Matt Brown with him, joining with Molinaro, Ruth, Q Wright, and later accepting the disgraced Andrew Long. He quickly won a championship at PSU, while ISU wrestling collapsed.

Then came the sugar daddy endowment for the NLWC and rumors of "creative financing," for end runs around 9.9 scholly limits, which to date, we don't really know much about.

What we do know is that caliber of recruits PSU has been getting now, every year, is off the charts. By simply bringing in the very best HS wrestler at almost every single weight, everyone else is left playing catch up.

I see Cael as one of the greatest collegiate wrestlers in history, but beyond that, not much to like. Since his move to PSU, the name of the game has turned into recruiting.

Is it possible that endowments and creative accounting are now leading to ncaa championships? Not good for the sport.

The playing field needs to be level. Tom has said it is not level. We can only speculate about what that means, but I don't think he would make up something like that up out of thin air. Something seems rotten.

From his shafting of his former coach and school, it's clear Cael wanted greater personal glory. He couldn't get it done at ISU, so he left for the fertile wrestling country of PA. He took David Taylor, Cyler, Matt Brown with him, joining with Molinaro, Ruth, Q Wright, and later accepting the disgraced Andrew Long. He quickly won a championship at PSU, while ISU wrestling collapsed.

Then came the sugar daddy endowment for the NLWC and rumors of "creative financing," for end runs around 9.9 scholly limits, which to date, we don't really know much about.

What we do know is that caliber of recruits PSU has been getting now, every year, is off the charts. By simply bringing in the very best HS wrestler at almost every single weight, everyone else is left playing catch up.

I see Cael as one of the greatest collegiate wrestlers in history, but beyond that, not much to like. Since his move to PSU, the name of the game has turned into recruiting.

Is it possible that endowments and creative accounting are now leading to ncaa championships? Not good for the sport.

The playing field needs to be level. Tom has said it is not level. We can only speculate about what that means, but I don't think he would make up something like that up out of thin air. Something seems rotten.
Do you ever get tired of whining, and making up bs accusations? God it never ends with some. Someone wins they must be cheating, a slush fund, paying for clinics, then it's ped state, Cael sucks, convicts, can't coach, only wins because he recruits, IA St. he did nothing, needed Penn State. Did I miss anything? The fact is, Cael is respected world wide, is a hell of a coach and a better man. The Brands are great people and great coaches as well. So is Tom Ryan and many others. What's sad is when people like you talk bs like this, you totally dismiss the amount of work and training these athletes put into wrestling. Enjoy the pettiness. It's easy to tell, many never got close to this level of excellence, the jealousy shows. If you don't win, everyone else is cheating.

Do you ever get tired of whining, and making up bs accusations? God it never ends with some. Someone wins they must be cheating, a slush fund, paying for clinics, then it's ped state, Cael sucks, convicts, can't coach, only wins because he recruits, IA St. he did nothing, needed Penn State. Did I miss anything? The fact is, Cael is respected world wide, is a hell of a coach and a better man. The Brands are great people and great coaches as well. So is Tom Ryan and many others. What's sad is when people like you talk bs like this, you totally dismiss the amount of work and training these athletes put into wrestling. Enjoy the pettiness. It's easy to tell, many never got close to this level of excellence, the jealousy shows. If you don't win, everyone else is cheating.

Everyone else isn't cheating, just Bael. That's the point.

Biggest scumbag in college wrestling, and the sport would do well if he went away, whether voluntarily or not.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Trying to be objective. Cael not doing well at ISU is sort of like Nick Saban not being a national champion at MSU. There are a lot of cards that have to fall into place to become a winner: resources, recruiting, performance, etc.

Thank you for proving my point. Cael has become a big face of wrestling at a time it needed it. The sport is growing. You're welcome.

Cycling became quite popular in the US when Lance Armstrong was successful too.

I'm a bit different than the other posters on here in that I'm not from Iowa and not really a huge Iowa guy like them. I probably like Iowa most of the top teams, but I'm more of a fan of the sport than a particular team.

And I can tell you I'd rather Iowa never win another team title if it meant Bael getting what's coming to him. He is intensely bad for the sport, and if you can't see that you're blind or not a fan.

Seems to me if any shenanigans were going on with Cael's recruiting, it would have been outed by someone by now. It's almost a decade for this run of his. How long can all of these supposed secrets be kept under wraps?

Nothing but sour grapes is what it is. If you have proof, put it out there. If not, quit whining.

I'm not a lifelong wrestling fan, just a bandwagon PSU guy. I'm curious why Cael is bad for the sport, and Nick Saban is not. John Wooden was not. Coach K is not. What, precisely, is the difference?

Reactions: NittanyChris
Educate me here. Why does PSU have more money for wrestling than Iowa does? Iowa's got a big reputation and a big wrestling history. Doesn't Iowa have big donors? What about their wrestling alumni? Both schools are in the Big Ten and get conference money.

I'm a bit different than the other posters on here in that I'm not from Iowa and not really a huge Iowa guy like them. I probably like Iowa most of the top teams, but I'm more of a fan of the sport than a particular team.

And I can tell you I'd rather Iowa never win another team title if it meant Bael getting what's coming to him. He is intensely bad for the sport, and if you can't see that you're blind or not a fan.
Lol. More bs. Thank God we have freedom of speech and a court system. False accusations without an ounce of proof are the reason why. Takes much effort to purposely misspell Cael's name over and over.

Tom Ryan made Hofstra a respectable program but not a world class program like tOSU. Cael kept ISU respectable, but nowhere near the program he has at PSU. Popolizio, Dresser and Brands don’t get enough credit. Brands put VT on the map and Dresser continued it. The fact that Iowa is only trailing tOSU and PSU is predictable and amazing. Those schools have money and awesome HS programs. Michigan’s rise is attributable to money and talent as well. Iowa’s “tradition” is keeping them in the mix, and TOM BRANDS.
+1,000

Reactions: minnhawkeye

+1,000

Reactions: minnhawkeye
Trying to be objective. Cael not doing well at ISU is sort of like Nick Saban not being a national champion at MSU. There are a lot of cards that have to fall into place to become a winner: resources, recruiting, performance, etc.

Brands at iowa.

Educate me here. Why does PSU have more money for wrestling than Iowa does? Iowa's got a big reputation and a big wrestling history. Doesn't Iowa have big donors? What about their wrestling alumni? Both schools are in the Big Ten and get conference money.
I was an undergrad at PSU when Rob Koll's dad was the coach (from UNI btw). They were a good team, not a championship team. Cael coming to PSU was a perfect storm of Cael's ability, Pennsylvania's talent, PSU alumni frustration, and a Millionaire's plan. In PA's mountains wrestling is a big sport, the talent is and will be there, and the alumni love the championships.

Last edited:
Seems to me if any shenanigans were going on with Cael's recruiting, it would have been outed by someone by now. It's almost a decade for this run of his. How long can all of these supposed secrets be kept under wraps?

I have NEVER ever made any comments about the Ped State/Sandusky situation.

But since you ask....... "How long can all of these supposed secrets be kept under wraps?"

I guess the answer is a long time.

Not saying there is anything going on with recruiting violations. I don't know. Just seems to be more speculation coming out over time. To much smoke to dismiss completely.

Not sure I would have used the words...."if any shenanigans going on............outed by someone by now."

But since you ask....... "How long can all of these supposed secrets be kept under wraps?"

Not saying there is anything going on with recruiting violations. I don't know. Just seems to be more speculation coming out over time. To much smoke to dismiss completely.

Not sure I would have used the words...."if any shenanigans going on............outed by someone by now."
But all the smoke is from Hawkeye fans.

Reactions: lionlover

Rosie, you and many on here seem to be struggling for the right words to describe what you're observing with respect to Cael. Let me help you.

Dynasty.

Last edited:
Rosie, you and many on here seem to be struggling for the right words to describe what you're observing. Let me help you.

Dynasty.

Carl certainly has it going right now. Got some great recruits. Seem like good kids. Congrats...........

Nailed it.

Reactions: Dagboi
I am an Iowa guy, not a Carl guy, but I also believe I am an objective person. Sorry, my extreme objectivity is my curse but it has done wonders for my business career.

This narrative that “Cael couldn’t get it done at ISU” is silly. He was only coach there for 3 seasons and he was a “green” coach that was about 26 years old. He hadn’t even really started his coaching career when he left ISU. By the way, ISU did take 2nd at NCAAs during that 3 years and he won Big 12s three times. The early promise was there. Had he brought Taylor to ISU he may have gotten things rolling at ISU. Maybe not. I don’t know how he would have done at ISU, but I can’t say he “couldn’t get it done at ISU.” His time there was much too short to make that call.

Cael going to PSU was the perfect storm, without him PSU is just a good team he put them way over the edge. I don’t see him going anywhere else. 7 of the last 8 that’s a dynasty brewing if it isn’t already.
The question I have is will his assistants leave the nest and try to run their own programs or are they happy being in the background while Cael is in the spotlight? You'd think Cunningham and Cody would like to run their own program someday but maybe they like being betas and winning titles.

He didn't have the perfect storm at ISU. The resources in terms of facilities, finances, and local recruiting grounds are vastly different. He was having success recruiting outside of Iowa--recall that he had guys like David Taylor and Matt Brown committed to ISU--and that would likely have continued but not to the level its been at PSU due to proximity.

Also, let's not pretend he wasn't doing well at ISU and wasn't setting ISU up for titles. That's revisionist history at best. I have zero doubts he would have lead ISU to several NCAA titles by now. A run of 7/8? Pretty unlikely. He went to PSU because it is a greater possibly there.

Like Gable and Iowa.

I'm not here to bash Cael, but I can't let this statement go. We won back-to-back national titles not long BEFORE Gable. We have won six national titles since Gable, including three in a row with Brands' rebuild. This state lives, eats, and breathes wrestling. Gable just harnessed that into dominance and revolutionized the sport in the process.

Who's speculating, other than you guys? You recruit the same guys that Cael does, right? Surely they'd know about recruiting bullshit they could announce to you.

I dunno. Some guys win. Belichick wins. Wooden won. Saban wins. Seems to me that Cael is no different here. Guys like them, the losers always need to have an excuse. It has to be cheating. It simply can't be that he's better than your guy.

And, by the way, one thing we've learned over the years is that when someone is soundly beaten, that is when the Sandusky references are sure to come up. If you think that stuff bothers us anymore, well, you're way behind the tide.

I'm not here to bash Cael, but I can't let this statement go. We won back-to-back national titles not long BEFORE Gable. We have won six national titles since Gable, including three in a row with Brands' rebuild. This state lives, eats, and breathes wrestling. Gable just harnessed that into dominance and revolutionized the sport in the process.

Efffing right. Enjoy while it lasts PSU.

Yet in real life here were are. 7 of 8. Next year it will be 8 of 9.
20 NCAA champions in those years, 31 finalists. 16 semi-final victories in a row. For a couple nothings Cael and Penn State wrestling seem to be doing very well.

Your numbers dont lie. But I dont quite think that is what he said. Cael wasnt doing ANYWHERE(no wins at all) near this at ISU and PSU wasnt doing anything at all before Cael showed up.

It's clear Cael needed the recruiting base of PA to do what he is doing and PSU needed the name of Cael to keep all that talent in state.

Reactions: Dragonross
In three seasons at ISU Sanderson had a runner-up finish at the NCAA and three Big 12 Conference team titles, is doing nothing at ISU

Well I'm not quite sure if you are saying he was successful or not at ISU. Either way, its all relative to what he is doing now.

BTW, he was only at ISU for three years, so if you are saying he did great at ISU, most of the kids he did great with were Bobby Douglas's recruits.

Penn State got a huge donation (millions) from a booster and was the driving force behind bringing Cael in.

The irony is so rich here. Everything you said here you can say about PSU fans with respect to tOSU football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT