ADVERTISEMENT

Cael Sanderson

Do you feel it’s ok to make accusations without knowing the details and facts? Not only are you accusing a program of cheating, you’re also trying to say the athletes, clubs and high schools are breaking federal laws by not being truthful of their expenses and earnings. And again you’re doing it because you just think something must be going on.
We're just looking for an explanation....any reasonable person can see that the math doesn't add up. What would you think if an NBA team suddenly signed every all-star from the Western Conference to their roster, starters and bench, and announced their stated salaries as half their market rate? You'd think they had found an alternative way to compensate these players in some "gray, dark gray, charcoal gray, or jet black" area. Combine that with multiple reports of shady compensation and you have reasonable people expecting there to be a compliance investigation. That doesn't mean we're making accusations, just that we expect a little sunshine to come into the process. Help us explain the inexplicable.

For about ten years Bobby Douglas and Iowa State were family to the Sandersons - Cody, Cole, Cael, and Cyler. Then Cael took a dump on Douglas and ISU because he didn't feel he could win there. A person with good character does not do this.

I've never met Cael. Never been to a practice ... I've never met Tom ... So I can't judge what type of people they are ... I do know they both are great for the sport of wrestling ... For the most part, the PSU wrestling fans that post here often are just passionate and knowing fans of college wrestling ... And then you have the "newbies" who show up just to talk smack as if they personally were on the mat Saturday night in Cleveland getting their hand raised in victory ...

I do like the young guys Iowa has on its roster ... It's going to get interesting folks ... Go Hawks!

Yes, they can be split up creatively...in thirds and quarters, even. But still, with 9.9 slots, how do you explain supporting 20 blue-chip wrestlers at once? The answer, from all accounts, appears to be with supplementing the wrestlers' lowered scholarship amounts with very high fees for appearing at wrestling camps, high stipends at NLWC after graduation, and other various methods of getting cash in the hands of PSU wrestlers to offset their school loans or personal/family payments for school expenses.

To my knowledge, no "proof" or hard numbers surrounding these practices have surfaced, just a variety of circumstantial accounts that they are going on. Yes, in a court of law, we would call this "hearsay," but the dull roar of rumors about this happening (including Flo and Tom, among others), combined with the impossible math of supporting so many high-caliber recruits who can command full scholarships wherever they want to go, is what raises so many eyebrows and frankly seems to be trending toward further investigation, judging from coaches' comments. There just aren't that many rich uncles in the world to be paying these kids' $50,000/yr expenses out of the kindness of their hearts.

Vodka is the expert--he may have more details....
Yeah, you should get vodka's input. After all, he is the one that went 60 Minutes on this and called compliance offices. Still haven't seen the report from him though, and don't expect we ever will.

What is a circumstantial account? Is that like circumstantial evidence? Because even Tommy Boy and Flo saying they hear something is going on is not circumstantial and it's not evidence, nor an account. You were closer with hearsay. But "dull roar?" What others are you talking about? Your total is 2. Two people creating a dull roar. LMAO.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Yes, they can be split up creatively...in thirds and quarters, even. But still, with 9.9 slots, how do you explain supporting 20 blue-chip wrestlers at once? The answer, from all accounts, appears to be with supplementing the wrestlers' lowered scholarship amounts with very high fees for appearing at wrestling camps, high stipends at NLWC after graduation, and other various methods of getting cash in the hands of PSU wrestlers to offset their school loans or personal/family payments for school expenses.

To my knowledge, no "proof" or hard numbers surrounding these practices have surfaced, just a variety of circumstantial accounts that they are going on. Yes, in a court of law, we would call this "hearsay," but the dull roar of rumors about this happening (including Flo and Tom, among others), combined with the impossible math of supporting so many high-caliber recruits who can command full scholarships wherever they want to go, is what raises so many eyebrows and frankly seems to be trending toward further investigation, judging from coaches' comments. There just aren't that many rich uncles in the world to be paying these kids' $50,000/yr expenses out of the kindness of their hearts.

There's a big part of your problem ... Vodka is not an expert. He's a crackpot.

Can you name the 20 blue chip wrestlers being supported at once at Penn State?

Here's a handy link to the roster: https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/content/roster.php

I would be very curious to know which 20 of those you would consider blue chip.

Also, would you mind posting a link to the rumors being reported by Flo and TOM? I would love to listen in on the dull roar.

how many former Penn State blue chippers are at NLWC?

how many former Penn State blue chippers are at NLWC?
I won't keep you in suspense. The answer is 4. Taylor, Nico, Brown, and Conaway. . . thats right, Conaway. Brown had an ROTC scholarship, is currently serving in the Army, and switched from the NLWC to the U.S Army WCAP program last year. This theory is embarassing.

Didn't an Iowa coach actually get tagged by the NCAA for giving almost 2 extra scholarships a year for several years back in the day.
Somebody want to answer this question? I haven’t wasted my time trying to find ways to cry “cheaters” because Iowa was so successful in the day. That would make me one of you.

I’m curious though if the Iowa staff played with the money to help load their teams.

It’s a pretty simple question. Yes or No? Did this actually happen?

Reactions: PSU James
The PSU fans have a history of regarding their coaches as diety. It's very pathological

Why don't you just post the information and quit being a drama queen.

No idea why Iowa fans still put up with the trolls on this board. I started blocking them a few months back and this board is better than ever. Just from this thread I blocked 3 or 4 new trolls.

If we would all just get on board and block these idiots, we could take our board back. Stop giving them attention.

Efffing right. Enjoy while it lasts PSU.
Iowa's not good at football, basketball, volleyball... ANYTHING. And the Hawkeyes aren't even close to tops at wrestling. Penn State's run at the top will not last forever as you say... it will no doubt pass to Ohio State or maybe even Michigan. Iowa sports, including wrestling now, are afterthoughts to the premier B1G schools. Accept it and you'll be happier.

The PSU fans have a history of regarding their coaches as diety. It's very pathological

Why don't you just post the information and quit being a drama queen.
I never sought out the information because I’m not a cry baby over Iowa owning my team and pretty much every other one out there.

Iowa's not good at football, basketball, volleyball... ANYTHING. And the Hawkeyes aren't even close to tops at wrestling. Penn State's run at the top will not last forever as you say... it will no doubt pass to Ohio State or maybe even Michigan. Iowa sports, including wrestling now, are afterthoughts to the premier B1G schools. Accept it and you'll be happier.
And another douche to ignore.

Reactions: hawkeye54545

Here's a handy link to the roster: https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/content/roster.php

Also, would you mind posting a link to the rumors being reported by Flo and TOM? I would love to listen in on the dull roar.
How about the 6 coming in next year? Where's your link to them?

No idea why Iowa fans still put up with the trolls on this board. I started blocking them a few months back and this board is better than ever. Just from this thread I blocked 3 or 4 new trolls.

If we would all just get on board and block these idiots, we could take our board back. Stop giving them attention.
I'm just dragging 'em out into the daylight so the rest of you fine fellas can block them, catch and release....;)

Reactions: HawkFT and Neo_Hawk
How about the 6 coming in next year? Where's your link to them?

Good place to start. Can you name the six? I can only think of four (Teske, RBY, Teasdale and Nevills). And Retherford, Cortez, and McCutcheon are coming off the books.

And I'm guessing that's a no on being able to identify 20 blue chippers on the current roster?

I'm afraid the math doesn't add up because you're too dumb to do the math.

Let's see.....13 blue-chippers on the roster, plus 6 more next year.....sharpen my pencil....work through some figures.....decide between accrual basis and cash basis.....apply MACRS depreciation on a mid-quarter basis for new dodgeball facility......yep! Works out the same every time:

13 plus 6 = 9.9!

Reactions: HawkFT
Good place to start. Can you name the six? I can only think of four (Teske, RBY, Teasdale and Nevills). And Retherford, Cortez, and McCutcheon are coming off the books.

And I'm guessing that's a no on being able to identify 20 blue chippers on the current roster?

I'm afraid the math doesn't add up because you're too dumb to do the math.
Aaron Brooks? Michael Beard? Joe Lee? Wow, you really follow your team closely. You're right, there's 7. And you had a miraculous 8th for Travis Wittlake before he bolted.

And no one else on the roster is getting any scholarship money at all, outside these 20 blue-chippers? Out of 38 wrestlers, not a dime? Riiiiiight.

Aaron Brooks? Michael Beard? Joe Lee? Wow, you really follow your team closely. You're right, there's 7. And you had a miraculous 8th for Travis Wittlake before he bolted.

And no one else on the roster is getting any scholarship money at all, outside these 20 blue-chippers? Out of 38 wrestlers, not a dime? Riiiiiight.
I don’t think any of the 3 you mentioned will be on the PSU roster next year.

I know that nothing will change your mind, but Beard and Brooks aren't coming in next year. Brooks to OTC for a year, Beard enrolling in 2019. So he does follow his team closer than you give him credit for. Just sayin'.

I don’t think any of the 3 you mentioned will be on the PSU roster next year.
We're very familiar with the comeback.....chip away at it year by year, gray shirt, funky redshirt timing, nothing to see here, watch the cups as they move around, but the basic fact is that no matter how many 1-year slices you take out of the Jenga pile, you are still stacking up these wrestlers on your team in 4-5 year chunks and telling us that you cover them all, perfectly legit, with 9.9 scholarships a year:

Berge
Cassar
Cortez
Hall
Cenzo
Nick Lee
Manville
McCutcheon
N. Nevills
Nickal
Nolf
Rasheed
Retherford
Verklereen
Aaron Brooks
RBY
Michael Beard
Teasdale
Joe Lee
Other Nevills
Teske
and some walking-around money was there for Wittlake, too....

and the 18 other wrestlers on your roster don't get a dime.

Riiiiight.....

40 divided by 9.9 = bullshit

We're very familiar with the comeback.....chip away at it year by year, gray shirt, funky redshirt timing, nothing to see here, watch the cups as they move around, but the basic fact is that no matter how many 1-year slices you take out of the Jenga pile, you are still stacking up these wrestlers on your team in 4-5 year chunks and telling us that you cover them all, perfectly legit, with 9.9 scholarships a year:

Berge
Cassar
Cortez
Hall
Cenzo
Nick Lee
Manville
McCutcheon
N. Nevills
Nickal
Nolf
Rasheed
Retherford
Verklereen
Aaron Brooks
RBY
Michael Beard
Teasdale
Joe Lee
Other Nevills
Teske
and some walking-around money was there for Wittlake, too....

and the 18 other wrestlers on your roster don't get a dime.

Riiiiight.....

40 divided by 9.9 = bullshit
You do realize that 8 guys on that list are off the books THIS year or next right? By the way, you keep bringing up those other 18 wrestlers. Yes, I’m thinking most are not getting a dime or at the most books. I can tell you this as well, if Iowa is giving the ENTIRE team a cut of the scholarship pie then we’ve all figured out exactly why Iowa can’t compete and it’s exactly why they can’t bring in more high end guys.

Here you go AGAIN dagboi, rossel and others who keep asking how they do it:

The simple answer is 9.9 scholarships can actually go a long way if you manage it properly. For instance, it can be divided between 15 wrestlers which gets them roughly 75% each or between 20 wrestlers at 50%. Then add in grants, academic and camps. That's a solid compensation package that doesn't involve slush fund payments and student loan payoffs. Quite frankly, I don't know how Iowa can have $$ issues when there are several starters that shouldn't be getting more then 33-40% scholarship.

See below for how I was able to cover every PSU starter and top recruit for just 9.5 scholarships. Then remember in reality Nevills is on record that he gets 60%, that Verk and Cortez are walk-ons and Manville is ROTC and you can see how Penn State has money moving forward, especially when a couple recruits are deferring until the year after.

Carson Kuhn (50%)
Corey Keener (50%)
Nick Lee (75%)
Zain Retherford (75%)
Jason Nolf (75%)
Cenzo Joseph (75%)
Mark Hall (75%)
Bo Nickal (75%)
Corey Rasheed (50%)
Nick Nevills (75%) Actually gets 60%

Anthony Cassar (50%)
Brady Berge(75%)
Jared Cortez (50%) Currently a Walk-On
Jarod Verkleeren (50%) Currently a Walk-On
Mason Manville (50%) Currently a Walk-On, ROTC

So theres the "simple" answer. I know it doesn't fit the narrative, but the numbers do work out quite well.

You do realize that 8 guys on that list are off the books THIS year or next right? By the way, you keep bringing up those other 18 wrestlers. Yes, I’m thinking most are not getting a dime or at the most books. I can tell you this as well, if Iowa is giving the ENTIRE team a cut of the scholarship pie then we’ve all figured out exactly why Iowa can’t compete and it’s exactly why they can’t bring in more high end guys.
Yes, friend, almost by definition, 4 guys will come off of a list of 20 college wrestlers every year. 20 divided by five years equals 4. I do realize that math works the way math works.

Here you go AGAIN dagboi, rossel and others who keep asking how they do it:

The simple answer is 9.9 scholarships can actually go a long way if you manage it properly. For instance, it can be divided between 15 wrestlers which gets them roughly 75% each or between 20 wrestlers at 50%. Then add in grants, academic and camps. That's a solid compensation package that doesn't involve slush fund payments and student loan payoffs. Quite frankly, I don't know how Iowa can have $$ issues when there are several starters that shouldn't be getting more then 33-40% scholarship.

See below for how I was able to cover every PSU starter and top recruit for just 9.5 scholarships. Then remember in reality Nevills is on record that he gets 60%, that Verk and Cortez are walk-ons and Manville is ROTC and you can see how Penn State has money moving forward, especially when a couple recruits are deferring until the year after.

Carson Kuhn (50%)
Corey Keener (50%)
Nick Lee (75%)
Zain Retherford (75%)
Jason Nolf (75%)
Cenzo Joseph (75%)
Mark Hall (75%)
Bo Nickal (75%)
Corey Rasheed (50%)
Nick Nevills (75%) Actually gets 60%

Anthony Cassar (50%)
Brady Berge(75%)
Jared Cortez (50%) Currently a Walk-On
Jarod Verkleeren (50%) Currently a Walk-On
Mason Manville (50%) Currently a Walk-On, ROTC

So theres the "simple" answer. I know it doesn't fit the narrative, but the numbers do work out quite well.
I don't see how Mark Hall's ego could possibly fit inside a 75% scholarship. Auto-fail.

And you didn't account for a single one of the 7 blue-chip recruits headed your way.

Yes, friend, almost by definition, 4 guys will come off of a list of 20 college wrestlers every year. 20 divided by five years equals 4. I do realize that math works the way math works.
Then I suggest you look above and study Flying Tigers post. I’d also say if the way Iowa does business is them giving the ENTIRE team a cut of the pie then I pray to God whoever is running that ship there never ever dies.

I don't see how Mark Hall's ego could possibly fit inside a 75% scholarship. Auto-fail.

And you didn't account for a single one of the 7 blue-chip recruits headed your way.

Actually it works out perfect considering Brooks and Beard are deferring. 3.8 split up between those 5 guys gives them on average of 76%.

By the time all of those 7 blue chippers come in, 8 others will be off the books. And yes 75% is a nice package to wrestle for the school you want to wrestle for.

I’d bet my life not even the great Spencer Lee was offered a full ride to PSU.
You must not value your life very much. I heard Cael offered him 2 scholarships plus a full professorship at Penn State Summertime Wrestling University.

You know you'd give flying_tiger's left nut to have that kid at your school, and so would Cael.

It happened.....I cant remember when but Iowa was giving away something like 1.7 extra scholarships a year for years until they got caught. Nice way to provide uneven playing field. Maybe someone could help clarify my memory of that....Please.

You must not value your life very much. I heard Cael offered him 2 scholarships plus a full professorship at Penn State Summertime Wrestling University.

You know you'd give flying_tiger's left nut to have that kid at your school, and so would Cael.
You’re embarrassing yourself now. My face is red for you.

Actually it works out perfect considering Brooks and Beard are deferring. 3.8 split up between those 5 guys gives them on average of 76%.
So you're saying that 6.1 scholly-dollies covers everyone else on your roster next year? And I'M the one doing complex back-bending gymnastics to get my theory to work?

giphy.gif

So you're saying that 6.1 scholly-dollies covers everyone else on your roster next year? And I'M the one doing complex back-bending gymnastics to get my theory to work?

giphy.gif
First start by subtracting 18-20 guys from the roster. Those guys are pretty much walk ons.. getting absolutely nothing or at most books.

We're just looking for an explanation....any reasonable person can see that the math doesn't add up. What would you think if an NBA team suddenly signed every all-star from the Western Conference to their roster, starters and bench, and announced their stated salaries as half their market rate? You'd think they had found an alternative way to compensate these players in some "gray, dark gray, charcoal gray, or jet black" area. Combine that with multiple reports of shady compensation and you have reasonable people expecting there to be a compliance investigation. That doesn't mean we're making accusations, just that we expect a little sunshine to come into the process. Help us explain the inexplicable.

The NBA probably isn’t the best analogy to make your point. NBA all-stars have been taking less money for a decade to create super teams for a chance to win a championship.

Ok ...now that was funny. Lol
We take ourselves waaay too seriously. I hope for all of our sake that everything is on the up and up. We obviously don't have proof of anything. And no one on either side wants to screw up the great things that are being done at the RTC's to support these great wrestlers' continued pursuit of their post-college dreams on the mat. That's why no one wants to press the issue hard or publicly, for fear of incurring a lot of over-regulation of the RTC's and limiting our already sparse resources for USA wrestling and our post-college wrestlers.

All we're asking for is a reasonably level playing field. Don't take the extra-curricular compensation to such extremes that it prevents some modicum of parity in the top-ten programs. It's better for all of us if we have a reasonably level playing field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT