ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark Media Availability Quotes

KyleHuesmann

HR All-American
Apr 14, 2021
Biggest Takeaways from playing with Team USA
"I played a super big role, not only on the court, but leadership wise, being the oldest. I think growing in that area and then taking that to Iowa because that is still an area I want to improve on and me and Coach Bluder are still working on. Obviously, only being a freshman last year and playing such a prominent role, I think it was kind of hard and just developing that as I get older and older."

"I also played off the ball with USA basketball, so that was a little different for me. Obviously, at Iowa I play the one. Have the ball in my hands a lot more than I did at USA where I am playing off the ball. But I also think that has helped me improve different areas of my game, so I know Coach Bluder and our coaching staff is pretty excited to have me play off the ball a bit."

"Finding ways to get open without having the ball in your hands because honestly next year everbody's going to know who I am. So that's going to be a huge part of it. Setting screens to get open, finding ways to make it easier to get the ball in my hands."

On playing some off ball at Iowa
"I will be playing the one most of the time, but once we get moving in our offense because it is a read and react offense, I am off the ball a good amount. So just finding ways to set screens to get open. I think that makes it easier on my teammates as well, when I am playing off the ball, gives them a chance to get the ball in their hands and makes it harder on defenses. I think that goes along with scouting too. If I am playing off the ball thats just another thing that they have to scout."

On being the oldest and the leader of Team USA
"Yeah, it was definitely different because the last two times I've played USA Basketball, I've been the youngest on the team. So that was really different for me and I think I actually played one of the most important roles on the team. This is my first time ever starting on USA Basketball. But I think just kind of bringing that experience to our team with some girls that one haven't even done USA Basketball or to haven't ever played in a college basketball game was huge for us and just kind of guiding them through that process. Because the U19 medal is one of the hardest medals to win. Really, just because a lot of those girls that you're playing have already turned pro overseas. So a lot of them have experience as a professional."

"The style of play and international basketball is just so much different than what you'll see in college, it's a lot more physical. I mean, they let bumping all that go, it's weird."

On her growth since March and if the international trip was a measuring stick to see where she stands
"I think it is a good measuring stick just to see where you stand, especially when you're going against some girls that have already turned pro and they already have that experience. So I think for myself, I think I have improved a lot. I think just a lot of things we focused on on Iowa over the over the summer, I think defensively, I had some really good moments, obviously, there's areas to improve. But if you want to be on the court in the international game, you have to play defense, you have to be physical, you have to be able to guard so I think that is just something that one I saw some improvement in but also challenged me to get better while I was there. So. But obviously there's still a lot of room for me to grow."

On defensive improvement and working with different players/coaches on defense
"Coach Cori, head coach at UCLA super good. I mean, she was actually an assistant coach on the team last time I did it. So I had known her pretty well from previously, but I think their focal points are defense, and they're very successful college coaches. So I think that just like solidifies the fact that if you want to be great, you have to play defense."

"We know if we want to get far in the tournament that we have to play better defense. And that's honestly why this summer, we spent so much of our time focus on defense, we really didn't work on the offensive side of the ball in practice, we didn't work on that much skill work in practice. So we know that we need to improve, but also we weren't very good and we still made it to the Sweet 16. So I think that just shows when we do improve that I mean, we could be pretty unstoppable."

On NIL and her new shirt design
"I kind of told you guys this when we had me to media availability, around July 1, that I didn't want to rush into anything, I kind of wanted to take my time and sift through everything. So I kind of knew there wasn't really going to be much for me to do until I got back from USA Basketball."

"I think the one that I partner with the vinyl studios are actually in Valley junction, which is like five minutes from my house here in West Des Moines and it's a female owned company, it's local. So I think there's just so many different opportunities, but really sitting down looking at all the different ones. And if they really who they align with and I think this one was really good for me.
Their designs that they kind of do are different. And I think that kind of just goes with my whole story, me coming to Iowa. I just want to create something, do something different. I think it just aligned with me perfectly. And obviously I released my first shirt. So that's exciting. I mean, there should be some more stuff coming out. I don't plan on really keeping every single shirt out for that long, more just the the limited run, limited amount."

On becoming a better leader
"I think obviously, it's hard when you're only 18 years old, and kind of put into that starting point guard role. So I just think just maturing, just being more vocal, building more trust with my teammates. I think those are the biggest ones for me. I'm doing a lot of work on the outside with Coach Bluder, just being able to find that find my voice know when to say what know when not to say what? I think those are just the biggest things for me."

"I need to be vocal, I need to be a leader. Your point guard has to do that and I think just finding the right time to know when to lead. Obviously having Coach Bluder as my coach, somebody that's been around women's college basketball for so long, she has so many great pieces of advice. So we've had a lot of meetings, a lot of learning opportunities for myself. And, you know, I'm still growing in that area. And I think that's only gonna get better for me and help our team have more and more success."

On goals for the upcoming season
"Obviously, my goal is for our team to go to the Final Four. I just have big goals. Honestly, I don't really care about my goals individually, as long as my team has great success and we get to the Final Four. If if that means me averaging less points, less assists, playing a few last minutes, I would totally do that. Because I mean, you got to do whatever it takes for your team to get to the Final Four. So I think more than anything, I have a lot of team goals and team success at the forefront of my mind rather than my self goals. Obviously I want to improve, whether that's on defense or less turnovers. I think those are some of the biggest ones that I knew that I needed to improve going into this next season. But I mean, the Final Four. It's simple.

On what she can bring from the Team USA experience and apply at Iowa
"I'll probably sit down with Coach Bluder and just discuss the whole experience I'm sure she wants to know every single bit of it and honestly, she's had a couple of experiences with USA Basketball herself. So she gets it, she understands the whole process and everything but I think there's just a lot of different things you can bring back. Obviously I love every single thing that our coaching staff does and has, so I don't think there's really a need for much adjusting. It's just different experiences and sharing that with each other and seeing what you can bring back to just add to our team and make it that much better."

She always seems to know what to say.
I've been able to listen to her talk twice so far and I said the same thing this summer after the first opportunity. She does not sound like a sophomore at all. She sounds like a 6th year senior, who has been through it all and knows how everything goes. Really impressed.

Here is what I said earlier this summer.......
"You would think a second-year player with the hype that Caitlin Clark has surrounding her name would have a little bit of a tough time handling the pressure, as a young player. She was one of the best in women’s basketball as a freshman, her name is among the most well known on campus and she has also been well involved in the NIL situation. However, when you listen to Clark speak, it sounds like she is a fifth-year senior, with how calm and collected she is. That was one of the big things I took away from her interview."

Reactions: BBHawk
I've been able to listen to her talk twice so far and I said the same thing this summer after the first opportunity. She does not sound like a sophomore at all. She sounds like a 6th year senior, who has been through it all and knows how everything goes. Really impressed.

Here is what I said earlier this summer.......
"You would think a second-year player with the hype that Caitlin Clark has surrounding her name would have a little bit of a tough time handling the pressure, as a young player. She was one of the best in women’s basketball as a freshman, her name is among the most well known on campus and she has also been well involved in the NIL situation. However, when you listen to Clark speak, it sounds like she is a fifth-year senior, with how calm and collected she is. That was one of the big things I took away from her interview."
She has the confidence of a graduated professional. Amazing.

Biggest Takeaways from playing with Team USA
"I played a super big role, not only on the court, but leadership wise, being the oldest. I think growing in that area and then taking that to Iowa because that is still an area I want to improve on and me and Coach Bluder are still working on. Obviously, only being a freshman last year and playing such a prominent role, I think it was kind of hard and just developing that as I get older and older."

"I also played off the ball with USA basketball, so that was a little different for me. Obviously, at Iowa I play the one. Have the ball in my hands a lot more than I did at USA where I am playing off the ball. But I also think that has helped me improve different areas of my game, so I know Coach Bluder and our coaching staff is pretty excited to have me play off the ball a bit."

"Finding ways to get open without having the ball in your hands because honestly next year everbody's going to know who I am. So that's going to be a huge part of it. Setting screens to get open, finding ways to make it easier to get the ball in my hands."

On playing some off ball at Iowa
"I will be playing the one most of the time, but once we get moving in our offense because it is a read and react offense, I am off the ball a good amount. So just finding ways to set screens to get open. I think that makes it easier on my teammates as well, when I am playing off the ball, gives them a chance to get the ball in their hands and makes it harder on defenses. I think that goes along with scouting too. If I am playing off the ball thats just another thing that they have to scout."

On being the oldest and the leader of Team USA
"Yeah, it was definitely different because the last two times I've played USA Basketball, I've been the youngest on the team. So that was really different for me and I think I actually played one of the most important roles on the team. This is my first time ever starting on USA Basketball. But I think just kind of bringing that experience to our team with some girls that one haven't even done USA Basketball or to haven't ever played in a college basketball game was huge for us and just kind of guiding them through that process. Because the U19 medal is one of the hardest medals to win. Really, just because a lot of those girls that you're playing have already turned pro overseas. So a lot of them have experience as a professional."

"The style of play and international basketball is just so much different than what you'll see in college, it's a lot more physical. I mean, they let bumping all that go, it's weird."

On her growth since March and if the international trip was a measuring stick to see where she stands
"I think it is a good measuring stick just to see where you stand, especially when you're going against some girls that have already turned pro and they already have that experience. So I think for myself, I think I have improved a lot. I think just a lot of things we focused on on Iowa over the over the summer, I think defensively, I had some really good moments, obviously, there's areas to improve. But if you want to be on the court in the international game, you have to play defense, you have to be physical, you have to be able to guard so I think that is just something that one I saw some improvement in but also challenged me to get better while I was there. So. But obviously there's still a lot of room for me to grow."

On defensive improvement and working with different players/coaches on defense
"Coach Cori, head coach at UCLA super good. I mean, she was actually an assistant coach on the team last time I did it. So I had known her pretty well from previously, but I think their focal points are defense, and they're very successful college coaches. So I think that just like solidifies the fact that if you want to be great, you have to play defense."

"We know if we want to get far in the tournament that we have to play better defense. And that's honestly why this summer, we spent so much of our time focus on defense, we really didn't work on the offensive side of the ball in practice, we didn't work on that much skill work in practice. So we know that we need to improve, but also we weren't very good and we still made it to the Sweet 16. So I think that just shows when we do improve that I mean, we could be pretty unstoppable."

On NIL and her new shirt design
"I kind of told you guys this when we had me to media availability, around July 1, that I didn't want to rush into anything, I kind of wanted to take my time and sift through everything. So I kind of knew there wasn't really going to be much for me to do until I got back from USA Basketball."

"I think the one that I partner with the vinyl studios are actually in Valley junction, which is like five minutes from my house here in West Des Moines and it's a female owned company, it's local. So I think there's just so many different opportunities, but really sitting down looking at all the different ones. And if they really who they align with and I think this one was really good for me.
Their designs that they kind of do are different. And I think that kind of just goes with my whole story, me coming to Iowa. I just want to create something, do something different. I think it just aligned with me perfectly. And obviously I released my first shirt. So that's exciting. I mean, there should be some more stuff coming out. I don't plan on really keeping every single shirt out for that long, more just the the limited run, limited amount."

On becoming a better leader
"I think obviously, it's hard when you're only 18 years old, and kind of put into that starting point guard role. So I just think just maturing, just being more vocal, building more trust with my teammates. I think those are the biggest ones for me. I'm doing a lot of work on the outside with Coach Bluder, just being able to find that find my voice know when to say what know when not to say what? I think those are just the biggest things for me."

"I need to be vocal, I need to be a leader. Your point guard has to do that and I think just finding the right time to know when to lead. Obviously having Coach Bluder as my coach, somebody that's been around women's college basketball for so long, she has so many great pieces of advice. So we've had a lot of meetings, a lot of learning opportunities for myself. And, you know, I'm still growing in that area. And I think that's only gonna get better for me and help our team have more and more success."

On goals for the upcoming season
"Obviously, my goal is for our team to go to the Final Four. I just have big goals. Honestly, I don't really care about my goals individually, as long as my team has great success and we get to the Final Four. If if that means me averaging less points, less assists, playing a few last minutes, I would totally do that. Because I mean, you got to do whatever it takes for your team to get to the Final Four. So I think more than anything, I have a lot of team goals and team success at the forefront of my mind rather than my self goals. Obviously I want to improve, whether that's on defense or less turnovers. I think those are some of the biggest ones that I knew that I needed to improve going into this next season. But I mean, the Final Four. It's simple.

On what she can bring from the Team USA experience and apply at Iowa
"I'll probably sit down with Coach Bluder and just discuss the whole experience I'm sure she wants to know every single bit of it and honestly, she's had a couple of experiences with USA Basketball herself. So she gets it, she understands the whole process and everything but I think there's just a lot of different things you can bring back. Obviously I love every single thing that our coaching staff does and has, so I don't think there's really a need for much adjusting. It's just different experiences and sharing that with each other and seeing what you can bring back to just add to our team and make it that much better."
Thanks Kyle!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT