ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark playing with U-19 Team USA

I think the game is at 1030 AM tomorrow. Whatever 1730 GMT +2 equals.
I wondered what the crowd would be like for Hungary so briefly looked at the replay of the Hungary quarterfinal game. It appeared to be in the same arena and precede USA-Spain. I don't know if it is social distancing or lack of interest, but I don't think the crowd should be an issue. It will be the most hostile crowd, but not packed to the rafters or anything.
Yes 10:30 AM CST/11:30 AM EST

Yes 10:30 AM CST/11:30 AM EST
USA vs. Hungary
Semifinal Elimination Game
10:30am CT
Link to Boxscore

It appears they might be putting the semifinals and final behind a $2.49 paywall (see below). It is unclear to me if they will upload it to YouTube after the fact, for free.

USA vs. Hungary
Link to Boxscore

It appears they might be putting the semifinals and final behind a $2.49 paywall (see below). It is unclear to me if they will upload it to YouTube after the fact, for free.
That’s unfortunate. Had a good time following so far.

USA vs. Hungary
Link to Boxscore

Going to Kinnick today and never planned on watching today's live. But, was fiddling around at the FIBA website this AM. When I clicked on the YouTube link for the game, it said not available in my country. When I set my NordVPN for India and clicked on the link, it no longer said that.
Having said that, if the US is in the finals, I'll prolly pony up the $2.49 tomorrow.

35-15 at the half. Clark with 3 points. Citron leads USA with 11. Been a very physical defensive game and USA is not getting favorable calls. USA getting to the line simply because Hungary has been so physical and USA is controlling the boards.

Last edited:
Clark is leading the team in scoring, assists, 3 pt. baskets made, and minutes played. She also has adjusted to her role as a wing player, but is still most effective with the ball in her hands. Citron is more of a Swiss Army knife with a knack for loose balls, hustle plays etc. MVP will probably come down to Citron and Clark.

Gold Medal Game today vs Australia
1:30 p.m. (CT)
Streaming on ESPN+

The USA has won seven of the last eight FIBA Women’s U19 World Cup gold medals dating back to 2005, while Australia has won one gold, two silver, and three bronze medals.

Last edited:
USA leads 36-28 at the half. Australia is playing the best defense of the tournament, and they caught a break with their two centers combining to go 4-7 on three pointers that USA was choosing to not contest. Clark leads everyone with 5 assists.

Edit: Final score 70-52. Clark with 9/8/8.

TOURNAMENT MVP!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkshawn
Why wouldn't another good player want to come to Iowa and be on the receiving end of those assists? Quite a player and quite a draw. Coming off Megan's years of dominance the Iowa girls profile has to be rising quickly as a destination school. C2 is going to be at least Big Ten MVP next year, and the Sweet 16 the lower end of Iowa's predicted destination.

Why wouldn't another good player want to come to Iowa and be on the receiving end of those assists? Quite a player and quite a draw. Coming off Megan's years of dominance the Iowa girls profile has to be rising quickly as a destination school. C2 is going to be at least Big Ten MVP next year, and the Sweet 16 the lower end of Iowa's predicted destination.
Good question. We’ve had arguably the 2 greatest players in the history of the program back to back. And we’ve made good NCAA runs. Our profile hasn’t been higher since the Final 4 run under Vivian.

and it is
Good question. We’ve had arguably the 2 greatest players in the history of the program back to back. And we’ve made good NCAA runs. Our profile hasn’t been higher since the Final 4 run under Vivian.

and its paying off. Class of 2021 has ESPN's nos 39 and 92. Both 6'3" and both post players. We already have at least one five star, certainly a candidate for PoY next season and a few 4* players all returning off a Sweet 16 team with a 4* transfer arriving.

EDIT: Looks like we've got 4* in state verbal for 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawksfor3
If this is borrowing imagery and likeness from ACDC (which it appears to be), then it could potentially be considered copyright infringement on their brand NIL (unless she is paying for a copyright license).
Not usually my area of law so if there is some lawyer that has better trademark information feel free to correct this guess. I see three possibilities: (1) she is paying royalties (or someone on her behalf); (2) There is insufficient likeness-lightning bolts are pretty generic (e.g. SD Chargers) and not protected; and this one hurts; (3) The ACDC images and iconography have been around long enough to have moved into the public domain.

Not usually my area of law so if there is some lawyer that has better trademark information feel free to correct this guess. I see three possibilities: (1) she is paying royalties (or someone on her behalf); (2) There is insufficient likeness-lightning bolts are pretty generic (e.g. SD Chargers) and not protected; and this one hurts; (3) The ACDC images and iconography have been around long enough to have moved into the public domain.
You make a good point with that second possibility which I also did consider, but it does conjure ACDC in ones mind (and the font type style contributes to that also). I think it could invite a law suit, especially if she were to be very successful with it and/or ACDC really took offense. Whether or not a case could be made is debatable but I believe it would be best to avoid any conflict in the first place.
I don’t know anything about your third possibility but I suspect that she is not paying ACDC any royalty.

You make a good point with that second possibility which I also did consider, but it does conjure ACDC in ones mind (and the font type style contributes to that also). I think it could invite a law suit, especially if she were to be very successful with it and/or ACDC really took offense. Whether or not a case could be made is debatable but I believe it would be best to avoid any conflict in the first place.
I don’t know anything about your third possibility but I suspect that she is not paying ACDC any royalty.
I think she can actually make a case the design falls under the parody clause of the Trademark Act of 1946. The use of an altered logo and play off Back in Black with Black in Gold can be justified as parody use. And since it's not likely to cause confusion between Caitlin Clark and AC/DC, I doubt that AC/DC would have a case that would hold up in court to collect royalties or to win a case for copyright infringement. Adding to her case is the fact that there is a wide array of merchandise that is already available using a parody of the logo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT