ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark

chuck285

HR All-American
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2017
How can she be voted in a tie with Paige Bueckers for B1G freshman of the year and then get snubbed by the national media for National player of the year. They said Paige made their team better even though they had 6 other 5 star players on the court with her.
Clark had better statistics in most category's and had only one other teammate who you would consider for any all American awards.
Typical big name schools voting. Might as well call it the "Geno" award:mad:

How can she be voted in a tie with Paige Bueckers for B1G freshman of the year and then get snubbed by the national media for National player of the year. They said Paige made their team better even though they had 6 other 5 star players on the court with her.
Clark had better statistics in most category's and had only one other teammate who you would consider for any all American awards.
It’s a snub, no question. But, damn, Paige’s game is nice. Hopefully both players stay at least three years and we’re able to enjoy watching them as college players, even more hopefully in direct competition.

The more Iowa can play UConn, the more likely the gap closes.

Oh... Plural of category is categories, not category’s.

It’s a snub, no question. But, damn, Paige’s game is nice. Hopefully both players stay at least three years and we’re able to enjoy watching them as college players, even more hopefully in direct competition.

They pretty much have to stay 4 years before going to WNBA.

Bueckers is outstanding but no better than Clark!
They both are really good but their games are just different. I am fine with Paige being national player of the year this year. Nobody around the country even saw Caitlin play until the Elite Eight. Next year they will start at the same hype level. If Caitlin puts up numbers next year like she did this year then I think it will be a real competition for player of the year.

? Bueckers doesn't even play in the B1G...

The old playground scenario ...... you have first pick on who will be on your team. I'd take Bueckers.

Others in that enviable position -- but not most -- would take Clark.

Reminds me of the Willie Mays vs. Hank Aaron arguments we used to have when I was a kid. Two legendary Hall of Famers.... hard to go wrong with either. Bueckers is a more clutch player and for me, that is the deciding factor................. right now............. Clark could certainly improve to make the playground choice different one or two years from now.

Because Iowa is not a big name college like UCON

I don't like the debate between the two. They're two great players in my book. Time to uplift women's sports instead pitting these young women against each other. Both great for the game!
With all due respect, I think this is more of a discussion of "you have the first pick..." and not pitting them against each other. Nobody here is keeping women down or putting down their sport--kinda like the Aaron/Mays discussion mentioned before. You're not going to go wrong with either choice, but you have a preference.

With all due respect, I think this is more of a discussion of "you have the first pick..." and not pitting them against each other. Nobody here is keeping women down or putting down their sport--kinda like the Aaron/Mays discussion mentioned before. You're not going to go wrong with either choice, but you have a preference.
What I noticed when they played against each other is that PB is the more "athletic" of the two and could do a little more off the dribble. CC is the better shooter, especially from distance. It is hard to compare their passing ability as it is easier to look good here when you have more talent around you. They know where to move and what to do with it when they get the ball (ie. more assists). Ball handling I would give to CC. Defense probably to PB. The bottom line is both are incredible talents and brought me to watch the women's game. I'm sure they will draw many more - at least those who don't think the basketball world revolves around the dunk!

They pretty much have to stay 4 years before going to WNBA.
Starting to see women leave with eligibility remaining. It’s not just because WNBA, but factors of early graduation as well as European leagues’ offers.

I used to do a lot of work for the WNBA. I pay pretty close attention, still. While the money is pocket change, it’s still a dream for many. And when that dream becomes a reality? Hard to turn down—even with college eligibility remaining.

I could see Caitlin leave early. Pros already saying she’s ready.

Paige played in the B1G?

News to me.

They both are really good but their games are just different. I am fine with Paige being national player of the year this year. Nobody around the country even saw Caitlin play until the Elite Eight. Next year they will start at the same hype level. If Caitlin puts up numbers next year like she did this year then I think it will be a real competition for player of the year.

i think you are right. nobody was paying attention to preseason, unranked Iowa until the Elite 8. And by then, voters' minds had already been made up

most of the focus, fair or not, goes to the top 4 or 5 teams and the players on those teams

Reactions: grhawk
The fix has been in for Bueckers ever since Geno started recruiting her.

When Bueckers and Clark played on the USA Basketball U19 team that won FIBA gold in the summer of 2019, Bueckers started all 7 games averaging 27 minutes, and Clark started none, averaging 15 minutes a game. Bueckers was tourney MVP, and became just the second high school student to receive USA Basketball's Female Athlete of the Year; the first being Breanna Stewart, another UCONN recruit. If Geno hadn't been recruiting Bueckers, or if Bueckers had already committed to Minnesota, things would have been different.

Bueckers was named the 2020 Gatorade Female High School Athlete of the Year, the first basketball player to win the award since 2014. Bueckers also won the 2020 Gatorade National Girls Basketball POY (10th UCONN signee); 2020 Naismith Girls Prep Player of the Year (11th UCONN signee), and the 2020 Morgan Wootten Girls HS Player of the Year (7th UCONN signee). If Bueckers had been a Minnesota signee, things would have been different.

The major HS Girls BB recruiting services ranked Bueckers as # 1 (ESPN, PN, BS) or # 2 (ASGR), and Clark as # 4 (ESPN), # 6 (BS) or # 7 (PN & ASGR). If Clark had been the UCONN signee, and Bueckers a Minnesota signee, things would have been different.

If Clark had been the UCONN signee, she would have been the first HS girls BB player to appear on the cover of SLAM magazine.

With the Geno-created legend of Paige Bueckers, it will be hard for Clark to ever be treated fairly on the national awards stage.

When Bueckers and Clark played on the USA Basketball U19 team that won FIBA gold in the summer of 2019, Bueckers started all 7 games averaging 27 minutes, and Clark started none, averaging 15 minutes a game. Bueckers was tourney MVP, and became just the second high school student to receive USA Basketball's Female Athlete of the Year; the first being Breanna Stewart, another UCONN recruit. If Geno hadn't been recruiting Bueckers, or if Bueckers had already committed to Minnesota, things would have been different.

Bueckers was named the 2020 Gatorade Female High School Athlete of the Year, the first basketball player to win the award since 2014. Bueckers also won the 2020 Gatorade National Girls Basketball POY (10th UCONN signee); 2020 Naismith Girls Prep Player of the Year (11th UCONN signee), and the 2020 Morgan Wootten Girls HS Player of the Year (7th UCONN signee). If Bueckers had been a Minnesota signee, things would have been different.

The major HS Girls BB recruiting services ranked Bueckers as # 1 (ESPN, PN, BS) or # 2 (ASGR), and Clark as # 4 (ESPN), # 6 (BS) or # 7 (PN & ASGR). If Clark had been the UCONN signee, and Bueckers a Minnesota signee, things would have been different.

If Clark had been the UCONN signee, she would have been the first HS girls BB player to appear on the cover of SLAM magazine.

With the Geno-created legend of Paige Bueckers, it will be hard for Clark to ever be treated fairly on the national awards stage.
Its a conspiracy! LOL

Reactions: AMAYS
Buekers does not play in the Big Ten.

And and good as Clark is, Buekers is better
No ... Clark is every bit as good. Clark was ignored because she plays for Iowa ... If Clark played for UConn or one of the Big Boys (Girls) programs she would have gotten more recognition.

Clark is legit ... The Spencer Lee of the women's program and once in a generation-type talent ...

This is all ammunition for CC to get better/work harder to get on the top line with the girl from UCONN because you know it is the focus of CC and drive her to be the best.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins

I don't believe the ladies even have the option of leaving earlier then that, unless they are already 22 or want to pack and head oversea's

Clark will be in the watch list for several major awards next year. But in order for Clark to have a chance, Iowa will need to have success as a team. If Iowa had won the close games and managed to upset MD to win the BIG, then Clark would have been competing for more national awards. But the team couldn't close out time and again. Even if we came in 2nd and lost only to MD, things would have been closer in the voting. The BIG is going to be deep next year as well so really need to focus on improving defense and closing out games.

Reactions: BDJHawk
The old playground scenario ...... you have first pick on who will be on your team. I'd take Bueckers.

Others in that enviable position -- but not most -- would take Clark.

Reminds me of the Willie Mays vs. Hank Aaron arguments we used to have when I was a kid. Two legendary Hall of Famers.... hard to go wrong with either. Bueckers is a more clutch player and for me, that is the deciding factor................. right now............. Clark could certainly improve to make the playground choice different one or two years from now.
I really doubt that Bueckers had more clutch baskets. How many 3 pointers do you think each had at the end of each quarter? I think Clark was forced into taking the last shot and made a ton of them and the other team was keying on her. Bueckers had 4 other great shooters, so the other teams couldn't just key on her and so she had a lot more uncontested wide open shots. JMO And clutch shots? I really doubt Conn. won or lost more than three games at the end of the games...
Both are great but when her uniform says Conn. on it, that's the difference. Not the players!!

Clark will be in the watch list for several major awards next year. But in order for Clark to have a chance, Iowa will need to have success as a team. If Iowa had won the close games and managed to upset MD to win the BIG, then Clark would have been competing for more national awards. But the team couldn't close out time and again. Even if we came in 2nd and lost only to MD, things would have been closer in the voting. The BIG is going to be deep next year as well so really need to focus on improving defense and closing out games.
Did Garza win all his awards because the team won the B1G? Oh, they didn't win either the regular season or the B1G tournament??? So this shouldn't have anything to do with the best player in MO

Reactions: mtown66
Did Garza win all his awards because the team won the B1G? Oh, they didn't win either the regular season or the B1G tournament??? So this shouldn't have anything to do with the best player in MO

Buecker had a way better assist to turnover ratio which is paramount for points. Granted, the talent around Paige is way better.

PB shot 43% from the field that tourney...33% from 3.
CC shot 33% from the field that tourney...25% from 3.
PB had 36 assists and 16 TOs.
CC had 11 assists and 6 TOs.
PB averaged a rebound every 6.5 mins.
CC averaged a rebound every 11.4 mins.

Reactions: AMAYS
ADVERTISEMENT