ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark

PB shot 43% from the field that tourney...33% from 3.
CC shot 33% from the field that tourney...25% from 3.
PB had 36 assists and 16 TOs.
CC had 11 assists and 6 TOs.
PB averaged a rebound every 6.5 mins.
CC averaged a rebound every 11.4 mins.
Not really interested in what they did two years ago.
We are talking about the here and now. Bueckers is a fine player but so far CC has made a bigger impact on her team than Paige. Remember the supporting cast PB has around her. Not to minimize any of the other Hawk players, but Im pretty sure UCONN has more around PB.

I don't believe the ladies even have the option of leaving earlier then that, unless they are already 22 or want to pack and head oversea's
Oversea’s? Seriously?!

The WNBA "requires players to be at least 22, to have completed their college eligibility, to have graduated from a four-year college or to be four years removed from high school".[1][2]

Last edited:
Just think what Toussaint would have averaged.

Did Garza win all his awards because the team won the B1G? Oh, they didn't win either the regular season or the B1G tournament??? So this shouldn't have anything to do with the best player in MO
The women do not get the national exposure that the men's game gets so team success plays a much more important role. Iowa was outside the TOP 25 this year (though they might get a nod in the final poll when it's released). They only had 1 or 2 games on ESPN (and a handful on BTN). Most media were not aware of CC success this season until the tournament and those that did were shocked she didn't get much attention. Having team success and being ranked gets your team noticed and gets individual success notice. The media and coaches that vote on these awards don't pay attention to conference awards and most of them don't really watch the games/players. They look at ESPN and check the headlines from other media sources and then vote.

Playing for UConn, Bueckers had the luxury of garnering national media attention almost every game as the team was ranked most of the year and UConn has been a media darling for a long time. Bueckers was National POY in most of the voter's minds from the get go and they probably didn't have a clue who CC was until well after their vote had been cast.

Garza, on the other hand, had the luxury of playing on a preseason Top 5 time and national media attention all year from tons of sources. His success last year made him a frontrunner for POY awards before the season even began. Iowa didn't need to win the BIG for him to get noticed.

Next season CC will get more attention due to being the top returning scorer. Iowa should be in next seasons preseason Top 25 as we return all of starters and most of the bench. The players we lost did not see the floor much at all. Clark will have a much better shot at a national award next year and should be the preseason favorite for BIG POY.

Reactions: nwhawkincr
To be fair, PB played almost double the minutes. CC’s desire to accomplish a lot in limited time might have accelerated her tendency to try risky passes and take difficult shots.

Reactions: mtown66
If any of you watched the Women’s Final Four Semi-finals tonight, you probably got your first experience watching the all-around Player of the Year. From start to finish she willed her team to victory as 13.5 point underdogs. It’s not always about offensive stats.

Last edited:
If any of you watched the Women’s Final Four Semi-finals tonight, you probably got your first experience watching the all-around Player of the Year. From start to finish she willed her team to victory as 13.5 point underdogs. It’s not always about offensive stats.

she effing brings it every trip up and down the floor...on both ends. So much fun to watch her go.

Reactions: moondog24
They should maybe wait on the POY voting until after the tournament is over, but I know that would interrupt their narrative. A little more on results and less on hype and reputation then.

Aari McDonald was a transfer from U of Washington to Arizona. Played at UW as a freshman in 2016-2017. No wonder she bought into the hype train from Kelsey Plum who led the Huskies to the 2016 Final Four. Then Plum graduated and the coach left, and McDonald left too. UW has been in the dumps since then.

Starting to see women leave with eligibility remaining. It’s not just because WNBA, but factors of early graduation as well as European leagues’ offers.

I used to do a lot of work for the WNBA. I pay pretty close attention, still. While the money is pocket change, it’s still a dream for many. And when that dream becomes a reality? Hard to turn down—even with college eligibility remaining.

I could see Caitlin leave early. Pros already saying she’s ready.
“Yes, she plans on staying through her senior year before pursuing a pro career.”

If her birthday was in December rather than January she would be eligible for the pro draft following her junior year at Iowa.

A quote from…

“When Caitlin’s light shines, it shines on all of us,” Bluder said. “Even if we’re in a supporting role, even if we’re holding the camera. It shines on everybody, and that’s good for our program, it’s good for the university, and it’s certainly good for all of us involved.”

If her birthday was in December rather than January she would be eligible for the pro draft following her junior year at Iowa.
I don't know of any WBB player that has forgone college eligibility to enter the draft and I don't see Caitlyn being the first. She might have the toughest decision as many analysts say she's ready for the WNBA now but I don't see her leaving early. The tougher choice I think will be does she take her COVID year and come back for a 5th year. The WNBA money will be there but Iowa will also likely have the most talented team ever if recruiting stays on par with the last two classes.

Reactions: natchrlman
I don't know of any WBB player that has forgone college eligibility to enter the draft and I don't see Caitlyn being the first. She might have the toughest decision as many analysts say she's ready for the WNBA now but I don't see her leaving early. The tougher choice I think will be does she take her COVID year and come back for a 5th year. The WNBA money will be there but Iowa will also likely have the most talented team ever if recruiting stays on par with the last two classes.

Pretty much every woman drafted last year gave up college eligibility to enter the draft.

You also acted like no one has ever left early for the WNBA, which is hilarious.
It's not hilarious. It's the truth. No women's BB player is the US has entered the WNBA without completing 4 years of eligibility. It will be unprecedented when it occurs. Doesn't mean that someday it won't occur but the WNBA also doesn't allow players who aren't 22 or who have not graduated from or are scheduled to graduate within 3 months of the draft. Until that changes, no one is leaving early. Clark just turned 20 so she will not be eligible until April of 24 which will be after her senior season. She could still come back and play the 24-25 season as a COVID year if she wanted to but even if she doesn't, it would not be considered leaving early as she will have competed as a senior.

It's not hilarious. It's the truth. No women's BB player is the US has entered the WNBA without completing 4 years of eligibility. It will be unprecedented when it occurs. Doesn't mean that someday it won't occur but the WNBA also doesn't allow players who aren't 22 or who have not graduated from or are scheduled to graduate within 3 months of the draft. Until that changes, no one is leaving early. Clark just turned 20 so she will not be eligible until April of 24 which will be after her senior season. She could still come back and play the 24-25 season as a COVID year if she wanted to but even if she doesn't, it would not be considered leaving early as she will have competed as a senior.

There is so much wrong with this post it is unreal.

For one...there have been early entries into the WNBA, such as:

2021 #1 overall pick Charli Collier
2019 # 1 overall pick Jackie Young who left Notre Dame after 3 years.
Aerial Powers did it back in 2016.
And 2015 overall #1 pick Jewell Loyd was also an early entry.

Unprecedented. LMAO!!

And Clark is on pace to graduate in the Spring of 2023, which will allow her to enter the draft early if she so desires.

My sentiments are with you Gabe regarding Clark, but didn't Charli Collier leave Texas early after completing 3 years of college eligibility. She was an '18 McDonald's AA, played at Texas in 18-19, 19-20, and 20-21, and was the first player picked in the '21 WNBA draft, playing this year for the Dallas Wings.

There is so much wrong with this post it is unreal.

For one...there have been early entries into the WNBA, such as:

2021 #1 overall pick Charli Collier
2019 # 1 overall pick Jackie Young who left Notre Dame after 3 years.
Aerial Powers did it back in 2016.
And 2015 overall #1 pick Jewell Loyd was also an early entry.

Unprecedented. LMAO!!

And Clark is on pace to graduate in the Spring of 2023, which will allow her to enter the draft early if she so desires.
How much time did it take you to research that. So in 25 years of the WNBA four players have left early. It does not happen often.

Clark has already stated she plans on playing four years.

Reactions: AMAYS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT