ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin has now played in the 3 Most-Watched WNBA games since 2002. Fever at Sun (2.117M) was Most-Watched WNBA game in 23 yrs

Franisdaman

HB King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
May 22, 2024 Update:

Caitlin has now played in the 3 most-watched WNBA games since 2002.

GOIXYyjWYAAzSPP

Original Post:

Last edited:

Caitlin Clark's Fever debut most-watched WNBA game since 2001

• Field Level Media
May 15, 2024, 09:36 PM ET

Caitlin Clark's debut for the Indiana Fever drew 2.1 million viewers across all platforms on Tuesday night, making it the most-watched WNBA game on ESPN.

Viewership peaked at 2.3 million viewers for the game between the Fever and Connecticut Sun. The Sun prevailed 92-71.

The game was the most-watched WNBA game since the Los Angeles Sparks and Houston Comets averaged 2.45 million viewers on NBC for a 2001 Memorial Day contest.

The previous most-watched WNBA game on ESPN networks was for the 2004 WNBA debut of Phoenix Mercury star Diana Taurasi, which drew an average of 1.43 million viewers.

Clark scored 20 points on 5-of-15 shooting and committed 10 turnovers in her Indiana debut.

Clark is used to being part of television records. Clark and her Iowa teammates played against South Carolina in this year's NCAA women's championship game, and the telecast on ESPN averaged a record 18.7 million viewers.

Caitlin/the Fever was the 3rd most watched event Tuesday night.

Just 466K watched A'ja Wilson and the Aces vs Diana Taurasi and the Mercury (that game immediately followed the Fever/Sun game on the same channel).

One evening MLB game is on this list (Yankees/Twins) and that number is not very good. :oops: MLB's popularity has fallen, to say the least....

may14.png

Last edited:
Most baseball fans watch on MLB.TV.

But Caitlin's numbers again are staggering. Her game drew about five times as many viewers as the other WNBA game, one that featured last year's champions. Just the facts.

I don't see how anyone can stomach the WNBA!
I'd rather watch paint dry.
Don't misunderstand me, I loved watching Clark at Iowa, but no way I'm wasting my time watching that crap league.

i can’t but help thinking she should’ve stayed at iowa. a lot more folks (including cc) would’ve been happier and better served than are currently.

This could be a bad sign, or else it could be a lot of people have shit going on during mid May on Saturday afternoons. Graduation parties, golf, just being outside, etc. I would think night games will draw bigger numbers.

Too bad, it was a fun game and they are learning. And this time people can get on the train early on and see Caitlyn freshman year versus Caitlyn senior year.

CC in her freshman year was an assault on your senses, CC in her senior year was sublime….

They are getting to see a very good CC improve in literally 4 straight games. In pretty much every capacity.

Even her defense, which is extremely lazy and yes, that is the right word. Is better on ball and she is more physical than Id have expected she would be on that end.

But she really cheats inside and is late getting to the 3-ball routinely and She has given up bare minimum, eight of those over four games.

But as I’ve now said multiple times; a week ago before her first game or even after her first game. In two months, she would be one of the 20 best players in the world.

Meaning she is a legitimate WNBA basketball player now, but she gets better game by game!!

Too bad, it was a fun game and they are learning. And this time people can get on the train early on and see Caitlyn freshman year versus Caitlyn senior year.

CC in her freshman year was an assault on your senses, CC in her senior year was sublime….

They are getting to see a very good CC improve in literally 4 straight games. In pretty much every capacity.

Even her defense, which is extremely lazy and yes, that is the right word. Is better on ball and she is more physical than Id have expected she would be on that end.

But she really cheats inside and is late getting to the 3-ball routinely and She has given up bare minimum, eight of those over four games.

But as I’ve now said multiple times; a week ago before her first game or even after her first game. In two months, she would be one of the 20 best players in the world.

Meaning she is a legitimate WNBA basketball player now, but she gets better game by game!!
Agreed. And for the record, I did watch the game.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Agreed. And for the record, I did watch the game.

With all sincerity intended if I made it seem like I was suggesting you or anyone in particular didn’t, I truly am sorry.

I’m trying to take a little of the Snark out of my routine conversation rhetoric so if I did that, I was certainly not intending too 🤓

Reactions: Tenacious E
Not every game is going to be a ratings bonanza, especially one on a Saturday when people have a million other things going on.

That said, if this thread was on twitter there would be 200 people jumping in to state how it's all the other players in the league people are tuning in to see and it's not fair that you mentioned CC without talking about all those other players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT