ADVERTISEMENT

California Gov. signs order banning sale of gasoline-powered cars by 2035

I ask because I honestly don’t know… What is the design lead-time for a typical automobile? If a company comes out with a brand new model this year, how long ago did they begin designing it?
I recall reading that it's shortened recently - maybe 3 years? - but they were talking about new models of combustion vehicles.

Some car manufacturers have already set their changeover. I think Volvo is aiming at 2025. And most manufacturers have both hybrid and all-electric models. So a lot of work has already been done.

We could see a lot of licensing and outsourcing of tech. The GM-Nikola collaboration for example.

Setting the deadline at 2027 doesn't seem unreasonable to me, given all the progress that has been done.

Which is not to say that all car companies will survive.

I look at companies like Ford, who have dropped a lot of small and "normal" car lines in favor of trucks and SUVs and basically feel "fvck'em."

They know damn well the science on climate change. They decided to go for short term profit. Serves them right if they only get profit in the short term. They are NOT too big to fail.

Whether you are talking about government or private sector, this is a public trust issue.

I can charge my cell phone and make the battery last for 2+ days if am careful not to use it a lot. I can't do that with my car.

My wife’s (no pic) car last longer than 2 days on a single charge. How many miles do you put on your car in two days?

Hydrogen is likely a better answer than electric and can give a 400 mile plus range. There are already plenty of options for hydrogen fuel fill up in California. 5 minutes at the pump and you're on you way.

Hydrogen is likely a better answer than electric and can give a 400 mile plus range. There are already plenty of options for hydrogen fuel fill up in California. 5 minutes at the pump and you're on you way.

No

I'll take "Why are all those car dealers on the border of Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona?" for 1000, Alex.
Seriously, what's California going to do with all those useless batteries that will start piling up around 2041. And how does California plan to generate all that clean electricity? They can't keep up with demand now. When 25 million people plug in their cars and kick on their AC at 6:00, the whole state will go dark.

I'll take "Why are all those car dealers on the border of Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona?" for 1000, Alex.
Seriously, what's California going to do with all those useless batteries that will start piling up around 2041. And how does California plan to generate all that clean electricity? They can't keep up with demand now. When 25 million people plug in their cars and kick on their AC at 6:00, the whole state will go dark.

They will implement (if they haven’t already) time of use electric rates which will make it way cheaper to charge off peak and behavior will follow.

As others have stated, EVs will reach parity with gas vehicles way before 2035 so I’m not sure about your dealership theory. Do you see a lot of Blockbusters around these days?

Reactions: artradley
We can’t? Cars charge at night when demand is low. We’ll be fine, but thanks for the concern.

Reactions: artradley
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT