ADVERTISEMENT

California Gov. signs order banning sale of gasoline-powered cars by 2035

He better hope technology makes leaps and bounds in the next 15 years or vehicular traffic will be significantly regionalized.

Reactions: mstp1992
As a non-resident, I don’t mind. I’ll still continue to visit with my rented SUV.

Wouldn’t care/mind if I still lived there, but electric cars, solar panels, etc arent going to put a dent in the legacy load previously produced. Would rather see legislation for drawdown/biosequestration...and that isn’t just a CA thing.

tenor.gif

This will require massive investments in both electrical generation and distribution,... in a state that sees rolling blackouts as the norm...

FWIW I have lived here for 8 years and never experienced a rolling blackout. Parts of California had non wildfire rolling blackouts for the first time in 19 years this year, so maybe you are referring to that when you said “the norm”

This is merely symbolic. Either the tech improves for battery powered cars to take over and that happens in Cali or if the tech doesn't develop that far than a future governor and state legislature will be forced to overturn it.

Setting up plans like these 15 years in advance, long after you've left office is symbolic.

Reactions: sober_teacher
This will require massive investments in both electrical generation and distribution,... in a state that sees rolling blackouts as the norm...

Yeah...weird bill from a state that so stupidly is anti-no emission nuke power.

Yeah...weird bill from a state that so stupidly is anti-no emission nuke power.

In fairness to CA, I think a lot of Americans are not in favor of new nuclear power plants - older people think of Chernobyl/3 Mile Island and younger people aren't as well educated about it its seems to me.

Technology/Safety measures have absolutely improved the last 30 years - but I don't recall the last time USA built a new nuclear plant anywhere.

Then too, there's the neverending debate on what to do with the waste materials.

In fairness to CA, I think a lot of Americans are not in favor of new nuclear power plants - older people think of Chernobyl/3 Mile Island and younger people aren't as well educated about it its seems to me.

Technology/Safety measures have absolutely improved the last 30 years - but I don't recall the last time USA built a new nuclear plant anywhere.

Then too, there's the neverending debate on what to do with the waste materials.

Tennessee built one in 2016.

While still creating waste, Thorium reactors are an interesting “alternative” due to the amount produced and half-life of the material. Agree the stigma persists, and still would even using thorium.

Every forest that's likely to burn will be burned by then.

Wouldn’t care/mind if I still lived there, but electric cars, solar panels, etc arent going to put a dent in the legacy load previously produced.
Well, it will put a dent. But not enough of a dent. Still, every little bit helps.

Set the date to a more realistic 2027, or something like that. And then have a "cash for stinkers" buyout for the holdouts starting almost immediately. With a total ban for all but registered historic vehicles and perhaps some specialty vehicles within 5 years.

And do it nationally.

Whereas, if Republicans are in power, we've already seen that they want to reduce emission standards. Profit today - who cares about tomorrow? I've got mine.

He better hope technology makes leaps and bounds in the next 15 years or vehicular traffic will be significantly regionalized.
America could be a leader in a lot of industries. Being wedded to the past holds us back. Dems fought fuel standards for too long, and the Japanese took care of it for us.

Well, it will put a dent. But not enough of a dent. Still, every little bit helps.

Set the date to a more realistic 2027, or something like that. And then have a "cash for stinkers" buyout for the holdouts starting almost immediately. With a total ban for all but registered historic vehicles and perhaps some specialty vehicles within 5 years.

And do it nationally.

Whereas, if Republicans are in power, we've already seen that they want to reduce emission standards. Profit today - who cares about tomorrow? I've got mine.

Reducing your current carbon footprint has no effect on the legacy load. Greener sources of energy/transportation only help (put a dent) is you current/future footprint. Methods of biosequestration are required to reduce the legacy load.

And do it nationally.

I ask because I honestly don’t know… What is the design lead-time for a typical automobile? If a company comes out with a brand new model this year, how long ago did they begin designing it?

This may force acceleration of a technology that has come so far in the LAST 15 years. I think we should be in a "I'm hopeful, let's wait and see" mode.
Florida can wait and see. We'll move forward. Wasn't there a bill recently in FL that would prohibit new residential solar?

This is merely symbolic. Either the tech improves for battery powered cars to take over and that happens in Cali or if the tech doesn't develop that far than a future governor and state legislature will be forced to overturn it.

Setting up plans like these 15 years in advance, long after you've left office is symbolic.

The technology is there now.

Can you charge your car in 15 min or less? Because I don't think there are going to be too many people interested until you can do that.

Why?

Realize that currently you have to fill your tank maybe once or twice a month. With an electric that’s done. The only time you need a charge on the road is when you are driving more than 200/300 miles in a day. How many times a year do most people do that?

So you trade 20 or 30 annual trips to the gas station for a couple of 30 minute pit stops the one or two times a year you go on a long road trip. It’s still a net gain in time savings.

EDIT
And don’t forget no more oil and filter changes. And no transmission to fail. No alternator to fail. An EV saves you hours of time and trouble every year, with today’s technology and infrastructure.

Last edited:
Can you charge your car in 15 min or less? Because I don't think there are going to be too many people interested until you can do that.

I cannot charge my cell phone in 15 minutes… And it is a much more important piece of machinery to my life than a car.

I cannot charge my cell phone in 15 minutes… And it is a much more important piece of machinery to my life than a car.

I can charge my cell phone and make the battery last for 2+ days if am careful not to use it a lot. I can't do that with my car.

ADVERTISEMENT