ADVERTISEMENT

California moves toward reparations....

I am all for it if it is a line of demarcation for the US. Once people get paid for their "plight" they no longer have the right to bitch about injustice and furthermore, I don't have to listen. . Sounds like a good trade off for me.

Maybe then we can then start viewing people for their actions and not just color- this goes both ways.

For what? California was never a slave state!

Shout out to the CA senate for helping trump with the latino vote.
Well done!
They will love paying reparations.

Reactions: PerkyForHerky
This thread should be called. “Hi I’m an HROT racist. Watch me self-identify in real-time.”

Blah, blah, blah, racist, blah, blah, blah.

You so smrt

images

The only current movement in California is citizens
who are moving to Colorado. This Exodus is bigger
than the one when Moses led the Hebrews out of
Egypt.

The only current movement in California is citizens
who are moving to Colorado. This Exodus is bigger
than the one when Moses led the Hebrews out of
Egypt.
Yes, but if CA promises free money will this draw freeloaders back to the state? Not sure why they would want to attract this type of person, but CA does a lot of dumb

Reactions: PerkyForHerky
As I understand it, the exodus from California includes
the Upper Middle Class and the Middle Class folks.
They feel the state government of California is tone-deaf
to the needs of the state and instead is doing foolish things.

I am all for it if it is a line of demarcation for the US. Once people get paid for their "plight" they no longer have the right to bitch about injustice and furthermore, I don't have to listen. . Sounds like a good trade off for me.

Maybe then we can then start viewing people for their actions and not just color- this goes both ways.
You don't know how the real world works huh? You give a handout and the next thing they want two more handouts and then more. You give an inch they want a mile, that goes for pretty much anyone looking for handouts....

SAT ban for college admissions in california triggers asian exodus and reparations trigger black influx. whites get to stay put and watch. Is that the summary?

If they give them all a million dollars each that would help a lot of people. Heck, make it $2 million each.

This thread should be called. “Hi I’m an HROT racist. Watch me self-identify in real-time.”

Don't believe anyone in this thread said anything even remotely close to being racist. We are seriously at the point where we can't even have a general discussion about it without being referred to as racist?

The thread is about providing reparations for crying out loud.

Don't believe anyone in this thread said anything even remotely close to being racist. We are seriously at the point where we can't even have a general discussion about it without being referred to as racist?

The thread is about providing reparations for crying out loud.
Groaning about reparations is like page 3 of the Racist‘s Manual.

STFU and own your hate. Loser.

Yeah, it’s a nice place to live. If you are homeless, do you stay in Iowa with it’s harsh winters or do you make your way to Cali? It seems like a pretty logical answer.

I'd choose Vegas (panhandling paradise) or save up enough money for a one-way ticket to Hawaii.

No reason to pander to you hate-filled incels.

Just call you what you are.

Don’t like it? Don’t be racist.

Please explain the benefits of reparations.

I mean, hey we all know that throwing money at a problem always makes it better, but I'm looking for some solid fact based positives that reparations will bring.

And no, I will not accept "Cause it makes me feel better" as an answer, even though deep down I know that's the prevailing reason

Wow, CA sounds terrible it's amazing that my home value went up another $80k this summer. It must be because all the people fleeing....

California to study reparations for Black Americans
Nation Sep 30, 2020 8:31 PM EDT
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California will develop a detailed plan for reparations under a new law signed on Wednesday by Gov. Gavin Newsom, making it the first state to mandate a study of how it can make amends for its role in the oppression of Black people.

The law creates a nine-member task force to come up with proposals for how the state could provide reparations to Black Americans, what form those reparations might take and who would be eligible to receive them.

“This is not just about California, this is about making an impact, and a dent, across the rest of the country,” Newsom said moments after signing the bill during a ceremony broadcast on his YouTube channel.

The law does not limit reparations to slavery, although it requires the task force to give special consideration for Black people who are descendants of slaves.

California never had a government-sanctioned system of slavery. It entered the Union in 1850 as a free state after gold was discovered in the Sierra Nevada mountains. But the state did let slave-owning whites bring their slaves to California. The Legislature even passed a law making it legal to arrest runaway slaves and return them to their owners.

“California has come to terms with many of these issues, but it has yet to come to terms with its role in slavery,” said Assemblywoman Shirley Weber, a Democrat from San Diego who authored the bill.

The law does not say the reparations must be cash payments. Other options could include forgiving student loans and paying for public works projects or job training. In July, the City Council in Asheville, North Carolina, approved reparations by pledging to make investments in areas where Black people face disparities.

Reparations are not without precedent in the United States. The U.S. government partially funded German reparations to Holocaust victims following World War II. And in 1988, the federal government set up a reparations program for Japanese-Americans who were held in concentration camps during World War II.

Reparations for slavery have been debated for decades in the United States. A similar proposal to study reparations for Black Americans was first introduced in Congress in 1989. It has never passed, but Congress held a hearing on the proposal last year.

Momentum has been building once again for similar proposals in state and local governments across the country after the May police killing of George Floyd in Minnesota reignited a national movement for racial justice. State legislatures in Texas, New York and Vermont have considered studying reparations, but none have passed measures.

Newsom would appoint five members of California’s task force. The other four would come from the Legislature, with two each appointed by the leaders of the state Senate and Assembly. The law says the task force must include at least two people from “major civil society and reparations organizations” and at least one person from academia who is an expert in civil rights.

The task force must have its first meeting no later than June 1. It must submit its recommendations to the state Legislature one year after its first meeting.

California is starting to see the mass exodus that NY is seeing now. People finally waking up after taking it for so long.

California is starting to see the mass exodus that NY is seeing now. People finally waking up after taking it for so long.

That's okay, Zuckerberg can pay the reparations himself.

This is like France paying reparations to the Jews for the holocaust.

“The Vichy regime took the first anti-Jewish measures slightly after the German authorities in the autumn of 1940. On 3 October 1940, Vichy passed a set of anti-Jewish laws called the Statut des Juifs ("Statute on Jews") to solve the Jewish question in areas under its control. Article 9 of the Statut stated that the law was applicable to France's possessions of French Algeria, the colonies, the Protectorates of Tunisia and Morocco, and mandates territories. The October 1940 Statut was prepared by Raphaël Alibert. According to a document made public in 2010, Pétain himself made hardenings to the term of the law.[9] The Jewish Statute "embraced the definition of a Jew established in the Nuremberg Laws" ,[10]deprived the Jews of their civil rights, and fired them from many jobs. The statut also forbade Jews from working in certain professions (teachers, journalists, lawyers, etc.) while a Law of 4 October 1940 envisaged the incarceration of foreign Jews in internment camps in southern France such as the one at Gurs. These internees were joined by convoys of Jews deported from regions of France, including 6,500 Jews who had been deported from Alsace-Lorraine during Operation Bürckel.”

I think German Americans deserve reparations,... life hasn't been easy surrounded by all you assholes...

ADVERTISEMENT