ADVERTISEMENT

California to Ban the Sale of New Gasoline Cars

I don't know if 2035 is too far out to be effective with all the bad weather we are seeing now.
What my question is say if everyone in California and in New York has electric cars/trucks
will our grids be able to handle it all and not have blackouts while charging vehicles say in the evening.
Their electric infrastructure is already boned and the cause of quite a few wild fires. They have a lot of work to do.

California banned gas-powered lawn equipment and that starts in 2024, so if a challenge can be made, would likely start then, as I read there were more than a few people that were upset with the new law

Funny

When I lived in Cali I bought an electric mower. Damn thing cuts through stuff that would bog down the same size gas mower....and you can mow at any time of the day without bothering the neighbors.

There are thousands of aftermarket exhaust products that are legal in 49 states that cannot be sold in CA...

And hand passes are illegal unless the Sharks do it! ;-)

What's up CJ?! Camps open in 5 weeks!

Lets. Go. Blues!

Funny

When I lived in Cali I bought an electric mower. Damn thing cuts through stuff that would bog down the same size gas mower....and you can mow at any time of the day without bothering the neighbors.

Big fan of electric, just simpler, and cleaner.
Curious as to what electric lawn mower you purchased that produced more torque ?
Larger graded yards tend to still need gas while battery life and power improve in the electric mowers.
The 40V will go through almost anything, much cleaner as well--with the multi use batteries

Reactions: cigaretteman
My big problem with pushing everything electric is cost. I do get that cost will come down in 10+ years.

What happens to the second hand market for cars? I know what is like to restart my life and to spend six months spending no money beyond food and rent just so I could scrap together $1800 to buy a car. Having that car then allowed me to be able to apply at another company, through which working at has completely changed my financial situation.

Couldn't have done it without that 1800 car.

Now if everything is electric, what is the cost of buying the car going to be. I can see the car values dropping down to beater levels of today without a problem, but then you have the issue of probably having to replace the battery.

Furthermore where are people that live in places where there is only street parking going to charge their cars? Is every apartment parking spot, street parking spot, and such going to have to install a charging station?
Those new motorized bikes are pretty cool.

It's a product that is certified for sale throughout the United States by the Federal Government under a number of statutes including the MVA and the FMVSS.

I'd like to see California's legal authority to prohibit all sales of that product in the state.

I haven't looked recently, but I know the State of Iowa tried to ban double trailer semis in the 1980's and the Supreme Court said that violated the Commerce Clause.
I believe that CA (and other states) have the authority to restrict emissions more than the federal caps. So maybe just set the emission limits really low?

Nevada & Arizona say thanks and will look forward to California buyers! California will still get the emissions.

Nice work California!

Oregon will likely go the way of California and Idaho dealers will be more than happy to sell cars to them.
California accounts for more than 1/3 of the cars in the U.S. The entire country will go the way California goes, and you won't have a choice.

It's a product that is certified for sale throughout the United States by the Federal Government under a number of statutes including the MVA and the FMVSS.

I'd like to see California's legal authority to prohibit all sales of that product in the state.

I haven't looked recently, but I know the State of Iowa tried to ban double trailer semis in the 1980's and the Supreme Court said that violated the Commerce Clause.
We're not banning cars. Just a certain type of cars.

Assault rifles are a legal product, but not allowed here.
Paint and stain products are legal products, but certain types are banned in California.
This list goes on.

Iowa might not be able to prohibit double trailer semis, but they can prohibit triple trailer semis, whereas in Nevada, triples trailers are legal.

The lawsuits will likely deal with the state's ability to pass a restrictive law. Given the precedents already set with prior auto laws (catalytic converters, three break light regulations, restrictions relating to size, etc.) I doubt we'll see much push-back from auto manufactures.

Reactions: cigaretteman
California accounts for more than 1/3 of the cars in the U.S. The entire country will go the way California goes, and you won't have a choice.
Californian's will all be dead from lack of water, lack of brainpower or monkeypox by then so I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

Californian's will all be dead from lack of water, lack of brainpower or monkeypox by then so I wouldn't get too worked up about it.
Right!!!! And it's going to fall into the ocean anyway!!! You best just stay in your little town in BFI and wait to say "I told you so!" You'll look as smart as you always do.

Reactions: pjhawk
It's hilarious listening to people freak out about not being able to buy products that the auto manufacturers have already stated they will be phasing out by then anyway.

This reminds me of the people who were freaking out when they banned indoor smoking and were saying it was going to devastate the bar and restaurant industry. Like then it shouldn't take long for most people to realize this is just a better way of doing things. But a certain segment of the population will just keep on bitching

It's hilarious listening to people freak out about not being able to buy products that the auto manufacturers have already stated they will be phasing out by then anyway.

This reminds me of the people who were freaking out when they banned indoor smoking and were saying it was going to devastate the bar and restaurant industry. Like then it shouldn't take long for most people to realize this is just a better way of doing things. But a certain segment of the population will just keep on bitching
Imagine how pissed the buggy whip people were when Ford introduced a gasoline fueled car.

Good luck to California on that lawsuit. Can't sell a legal product in the state?
There is a lot of back and forth in this thread, and emissions has been mentioned, but it was California that told heavy engine manufacturers that they would be California compliant, or else. Given time they complied. When you drive down the interstate and look at a semi and see the skirting under the trailer I believe that is because of California, too. The skirting improves mileage, and trailers without skirting are not allowed in the state.

Funny

You had me at "without bothering".

im-listening-do-tell.gif

Big fan of electric, just simpler, and cleaner.
Curious as to what electric lawn mower you purchased that produced more torque ?
Larger graded yards tend to still need gas while battery life and power improve in the electric mowers.
The 40V will go through almost anything, much cleaner as well--with the multi use batteries

I saw a riding mower the other day that was battery powered. Makes sense for personal use, if you know the hours of battery life and how long your lawn takes to mow. Not sure what commercial mowing companies would do. Charge them with with a generator on their truck 🤣. Universal and swappable mower batteries might be the ticket then charge them back at the shop an night.

Completely off topic of the thread, but all interesting hurdles and will be interesting to see the solutions. I think we will get there eventually with all the various electric powered replacement of gas/diesel

Reactions: NoleinATL
There is a lot of back and forth in this thread, and emissions has been mentioned, but it was California that told heavy engine manufacturers that they would be California compliant, or else. Given time they complied. When you drive down the interstate and look at a semi and see the skirting under the trailer I believe that is because of California, too. The skirting improves mileage, and trailers without skirting are not allowed in the state.

Iowa tried to outlaw double trailers and to require certain mud flaps for trucks and lost in the Supreme Court under a dormant Commerce Clause analysis.

As noted, the answer is not particularly clear, and the lawsuits will flow (unless the auto companies think they will be done with gas engines by that time anyway).

Or the panic over light bulbs. OMG THEY'RE MAKING US BUY BETTER BULBS!!! The world was sure to end.
Instead we all just change our light bulbs a lot less and our energy costs dropped.

Ooof.
$26k repair on a 11 year old car that cost ~$40k new and sells now for ~$10k used?

Will probably be sent to the crusher.. The battery costs and/or service life will need to improve. Which they should.

20 year life should be minimum. With the age that consumers typically run cars. Non scientific look at the cars on the road, don't see many over 20 years. Numbers drop pretty quick at that age.

Iowa tried to outlaw double trailers and to require certain mud flaps for trucks and lost in the Supreme Court under a dormant Commerce Clause analysis.

As noted, the answer is not particularly clear, and the lawsuits will flow (unless the auto companies think they will be done with gas engines by that time anyway).
Those laws you’re referencing were outlawing then from traveling on the road which messes up interstate commerce

This law is restricting the sale of new vehicles. Residents can leave the state to buy then and register in California and used cars can still be sold. The auto manufacturers have also supported thid so I don’t think it gets challenged

No but Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness are. This law will essentially restrict movement of people.
How? It doesn't prevent gas cars from entering the state, require anyone to give up a gas car they already own, or even prevent someone from buying a gas car in another state and registering it here.

If "life, liberty and the persuit of happiness" doesn't guarantee your right to bodily autonomy, including abortion, why on earth would it guarantee your right to purchase any possible version of a consumer product, no matter how polluting?

ADVERTISEMENT