ADVERTISEMENT

Call It - Next Year's WTT Final

vhsalum

HR MVP
Nov 14, 2002
willie made a good point. All of these medalists will be sitting in the finals! (Except those that change weights)

57 - Fix v. Gilman

61 - Maple v. Ramos

65 - Retheford v. Stieber

70 - Nolf v. Green

74 - Burroughs v. Levalley (this weight is going to CLEAR OUT)

79 - Dake v. Dieringer
This will be the single toughest bracket in a long time. Dake, Dieringer, Imar, Mark Hall, Zahid Valencia, Marsteller)

86 - DT v. Heflin

92 - Cox v. Kollin Moore

97 - Snyder v. Perry

125 - Gwiz v. Bradley

Reactions: Exo
57 - Tomato v. Gilman

92 - Cox v. Perry

97 - Snyder vs Borat

Fix has another year of Juniors

Forgot about that. I could still see him making the jump. Keep in mind, he'd qualify for a special wrestle-off.

I wish it were easier to find birthdays. All 10 weight classes will be competed at for Juniors. AZ - you have any ideas of who's returning? I can think of a few.

57 - Fix v. Lee

61 - Teasdale v. Mckee

65 - Yianni

70 - Joe Lee/Verkleeren/Berge

74 - Marinelli

79 -

86 -

92 - Warner

97 - Chase Singletary

125 - Gable Steveson

57: NATO v Gilman
61: Clark vs Brewer. Dont think Maple can make this with same day 2 day weigh ins. This weight is going to be open.
65: Retherford V Steiber
70: Green v Oliver
74: Burroughs vs Imar (HWC)
79: Dake vs Hall
86: Taylor vs Nickal or Zahid
92: Cox vs Gadsen
97: Snyder vs who cares
125: Gwiz vs Gable Steveson

Forgot about that. I could still see him making the jump. Keep in mind, he'd qualify for a special wrestle-off.

I think the guys at USA Wrestling will have guys stay in their age bracket for development's sake. Mark Hall didn't attempt seniors this year and I don't think Daton or Gable will either. If Spencer gains the necessary weight, I think he can take Daton out at juniors after a year with Terry. But it's first world problems there because either Daton or Spencer will take it down IMO. I say good luck to the guy that gets through WTT to face a fresh Gilman.

I wish it were easier to find birthdays. All 10 weight classes will be competed at for Juniors. AZ - you have any ideas of who's returning? I can think of a few.

57 - Fix v. Lee

61 - Teasdale v. Mckee

65 - Yianni

70 - Joe Lee/Verkleeren/Berge

74 - Marinelli

79 -

86 -

92 - Warner

97 - Chase Singletary

125 - Gable Steveson
All those listed have at least 1 more year at junior wtt with the possible exception of Marinelli. Most are eligible for junior wtt after completing their 2nd year in college. The exceptions to that are the holdback/late bday and delayed starting school kids. I don't know for sure but being an SPG kid increases the chance that Marinelli falls into those exceptions.

Ramos said in an interview that once the new weights come out he would start adjusting his body for an Olympic weight in 2020. He said he can't do 57kg with same day weigh ins two days in a row so it appears he will start the bulking process to 65kg and throw his hat in the ring their.

I don't predict much, if any, success for him moving to 65kg.

I think the guys at USA Wrestling will have guys stay in their age bracket for development's sake. Mark Hall didn't attempt seniors this year and I don't think Daton or Gable will either. If Spencer gains the necessary weight, I think he can take Daton out at juniors after a year with Terry. But it's first world problems there because either Daton or Spencer will take it down IMO. I say good luck to the guy that gets through WTT to face a fresh Gilman.

While true. I think Daton takes the challenge. I mean, who at the senior level can stop his trap arm gut? Gilman? Maybe?

Knowing he has the special wrestle-off in his back pocket, I bet he tries. I say that only because he has the chance to win it. It's clear that some real conversations are being had, and there is some honesty going on in the system. Mark just isn't ready to beat Burroughs, Dake or Dieringer and it's that simple. I think Daton is the second best guy at 57 right now. If you asked him, he probably thinks he can beat Gilman.

I do wonder how his year is going to go. John doesn't usually redshirt the better guy, and I would bet Daton is better than Picc. But that's an NCAA 4th placer who's used a redshirt. If Daton doesn't take a Snyder-type redshirt year (freestyle tourneys) I think he ends up in the line up.

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
All those listed have at least 1 more year at junior wtt with the possible exception of Marinelli. Most are eligible for junior wtt after completing their 2nd year in college. The exceptions to that are the holdback/late bday and delayed starting school kids. I don't know for sure but being an SPG kid increases the chance that Marinelli falls into those exceptions.

Marinelli born in 1998. He'll be eligible. Kaleb Young will not (I was a bit surprised about that one).

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
Ramos said in an interview that once the new weights come out he would start adjusting his body for an Olympic weight in 2020. He said he can't do 57kg with same day weigh ins two days in a row so it appears he will start the bulking process to 65kg and throw his hat in the ring their.

I don't predict much, if any, success for him moving to 65kg.
I doubt he competes again outside of a payday pro match. The 2 day weigh ins are going to make a lot of guys move up. Whereas former college 133s used to own 57kg I don't think we see many making that drop anymore.

Having to make weight and then wrestle the same day will be a game changer for many at the weights. And in another year there is no 2 kilo allowance. I think this will force a few more to go up a weight having to make scratch weight two straight days. The year prior to the Olympics, there will be many more athletes making weight changes based on this weigh-in reality. Next year will still benefit those that are stretching to make a weight given the 2 Kilo allowance on day two, but when it counts it's scratch weight for two consecutive days.

While true. I think Daton takes the challenge. I mean, who at the senior level can stop his trap arm gut? Gilman? Maybe?

Knowing he has the special wrestle-off in his back pocket, I bet he tries. I say that only because he has the chance to win it. It's clear that some real conversations are being had, and there is some honesty going on in the system. Mark just isn't ready to beat Burroughs, Dake or Dieringer and it's that simple. I think Daton is the second best guy at 57 right now. If you asked him, he probably thinks he can beat Gilman.

I do wonder how his year is going to go. John doesn't usually redshirt the better guy, and I would bet Daton is better than Picc. But that's an NCAA 4th placer who's used a redshirt. If Daton doesn't take a Snyder-type redshirt year (freestyle tourneys) I think he ends up in the line up.

Could Brock move up to 41 in a year? If so, does Pic or Fix go at 33?

willie made a good point. All of these medalists will be sitting in the finals! (Except those that change weights)

57 - Fix v. Gilman

61 - Maple v. Ramos

65 - Retheford v. Stieber

70 - Nolf v. Green

74 - Burroughs v. Levalley (this weight is going to CLEAR OUT)

79 - Dake v. Dieringer
This will be the single toughest bracket in a long time. Dake, Dieringer, Imar, Mark Hall, Zahid Valencia, Marsteller)

86 - DT v. Heflin

92 - Cox v. Kollin Moore

97 - Snyder v. Perry

125 - Gwiz v. Bradley

Does anyone know for sure if A Pico is out here completely? What i saw at olympic trials last spring would lead me to believe he would be able compete with another 2 years of development, but I also know he has focused on MMA. Is he completely out of wrestling for good and for sure?

If not, where would he slot in(i don't know where he is fighting MMA at)

Thanks

Last edited:
I'll go out on a limb here. The World silver medalist *maybe* able to stop the class of '17 HS graduate's trap arm gut.

LOL. Trust me. I know how ridiculous that sounds. But you know what else is ridiculous? A Junior World Bronze Medalist, NCAA runner-up defeating the reigning Olympic Gold Medalist.

Daton's done a great job of developing a skill set in par terre. A year from now, he'll be even better. I'm taking Gilman, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fix won. I'll keep saying it, but what Zeke did, in making the Cadet/Junior guys a real priority is going to make our younger guys (guys still competing in NCAA) on the team more often.

121 is not 125 and Gilman is big for the weight class (at least it appears so to me) Will he have difficulty with the two day weigh-ins?

Good thread BTW....

Ryan

Yea...he's saying there is a big difference in that four pounds...what Daton is used to wrestling vs bigger junior senior guys
I thought if he was asking if the new weigh in rules would effect Gilman. I didn't think it had anything to do with Fix.
*Edit
Now I think maybe he was addressing both.

I think most of the guys that wrestled 125 will be ok. It is the dudes that wrestled 133 that will no longer be wrestling 57kg.

LOL. Trust me. I know how ridiculous that sounds. But you know what else is ridiculous? A Junior World Bronze Medalist, NCAA runner-up defeating the reigning Olympic Gold Medalist.

Daton's done a great job of developing a skill set in par terre. A year from now, he'll be even better. I'm taking Gilman, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fix won. I'll keep saying it, but what Zeke did, in making the Cadet/Junior guys a real priority is going to make our younger guys (guys still competing in NCAA) on the team more often.

Fix also has a win over the Senior Wold Bronze Medalist who also was the Senior European Silver Medalist last year. Fix teched his way through Juniors giving up a single point, he is as ready to make the jump as you can be. Not saying he beats Gilman but I'm not counting him out.

My picks for the 2018 world team

57- Gilman
61- Tomasello
66- Stiebler
70- Green
74- Burroughs
79- Dake
86- DT
92- Cox
97- Snyder
125- Gwiz

Really curious where Fix, Hall, Lee, and Gable Steveson would be compared to the senior level guys. Although, I don't know if any of those guys would even try for the senior level team.

I think the 92 kg weight class will be perfect for Cox. I wonder how the weight changes will effect Burroughs, Snyder and Green. I could see Snyder going up to 125, where I think he would be even more dominate.

Could we possibly see Sadulaev and Yazdanicharati both at 92? That would be awesome.

57-Lee vs Gilman (Gilman)
61-Clark vs Brewer (Clark)
65-Stieber vs Retherford (Stieber)
70-Green vs Nolf (Green)
74-Burroughs vs IMAR (Burroughs but IMAR picks up a match)
79-Dake vs Hall/Ringer (Dake)
86-DT vs Zahid (DT)
92-Cox vs Moore (Cox but Moore picks up a match)
97-Snyder wins
125-Gwiz vs Gable (Gable, I think he beats Gwiz and starts his dominant run)

There is no point in guys like Lee, Gable, Fix, etc competing against juniors. They belong in seniors and it would stunt their growth to compete against kids their own age.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT