ADVERTISEMENT

Calling all tomato snobs: what tomatoes should I plant?

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
After reading the millionth thread about how tomatoes in grocery stores are flavorless garbage, I will be planting my own here in Iowa. They would be used primarily for sandwiches, bruschetta, and salsa. @The Tradition and @FSUTribe76 surely have thoughts... TIA!

Last edited:
Reactions: GOHOX69
Celebrity, Early Girl, and Better Boy are all pretty good and generally easy to find.

As someone else said, Romas if you want something firmer for things like salsa, etc.

Since you're looking at transplants you can find in stores I would recommend Cherokee Purple. Great on sandwiches.

Mortgage Lifter is also good for sandwiches if you can find

Last edited:
Reactions: Tenacious E
This season I'm doing Mortgage Lifter, Red Snapper and SuperSweet 100. They've been transplanted out since early March.

This is my first year trying the Red Snapper and it's producing some nice big bun-sized tomatoes. However, while they taste really good, too, the Mortgage Lifter is just a little bit better IMHO.

I also have the Socrates cucumbers going, and a nice little herb garden (rosemary, thyme, and oregano).

The basil is struggling this year for some reason. I can't figure out why.

Pole beans are flowering now, but no beans yet.

I'm waiting on a delivery of sweet potato slips (Vardaman). That variety is supposed to stay bushy and not sprawl all over the place, producing great-tasting tubers as well.

We'll see.

Celebrity, Early Girl, and Better Boy are all pretty good and generally easy to find.

As someone else said, Romas if you want something firmer for things like salsa, etc.

Here is pretty much all you need to plant for nice round great tasting tomatoes, Early Girl, Better Boy and Celebrity. I plant these if they are available and also Big Boy if they are available. Usually the greenhouses have some combination of these four.

Here is pretty much all you need to plant for nice round great tasting tomatoes, Early Girl, Better Boy and Celebrity. I plant these if they are available and also Big Boy if they are available. Usually the greenhouses have some combination of these four.

I grew Better Boy for years. They're reliable, but not outstanding on any particular measure (fruit size, productivity, taste, etc.)

I tried Celebrity one year and was disappointed with that. Not big, not a lot of production, "meh" taste.

To me vegtables are like boats. Dont own a boat, have a friend that owns a boat.

Dont plant veggies, have friends that plant veggies.

My family will be forcing them on me this summer.

Reactions: JWolf74
After reading the millionth thread about how tomatoes in grocery stores are flavorless garbage, I will be planting my own here in Iowa. They would be used primarily for sandwiches, bruschetta, and salsa. @The Tradition and @FSUTribe76 surely have thoughts... TIA!

Since I live in Southwood which has big homes and practically no yards, I don’t have a large garden just six standard size Earthboxes, two herb towers and about 20 planters for various herbs and succulents. The Earthboxes (and I mean the trademarked self watering kind found here https://earthbox.com/gardening-syst...w6bG7RYoyiggRRZd6P_0Uo2QDw8LywyxoC8YUQAvD_BwE and not the generic type you build yourself) are fantastic for greens like lettuce, mustard, cabbage, collards, watercress, arugula, kale, etc… and do well with things that produce small fruits like various hot peppers, eggplants etc….but large and medium varieties of tomatoes do not work.

Earthboxes cannot easily grow any tomatoes that are plum sized or bigger as the constant supply of water causes the fruit to swell and they literally burst at the seams. So I don’t know how any of the medium and larger heirloom varieties work and taste in a typical garden. But I have successfully grown thousands of grape and cherry tomatoes. The Earthbox works fantastically with the small tomatoes and each plant will be literally loaded down with hundreds of small fruit.

My particular favorites of the small tomatoes are:
yellow pear (they are very light in flavor with a mild citrus flavor and produce like crazy. They are not sour nor are they overly sweet. Just a perfectly balanced tomato that is best eaten fresh. In Earthboxes they are usually the best producers)
Sun gold (tiny orange colored grape tomatoes that actually have an intense flavor. Probably the most flavorful of all the small tomatoes)
Sweet100s (your typical red cherry tomato that is very sweet. Not as intense of flavor as the Sun Golds but has a standard tomato flavor alongside the strong sweetness)
Black Cherry (similar to Sweet100s but with a stronger tomato flavor and less overall sweetness)
Green Envy (very sweet despite staying green, these are perfect for grilling and high heat preps)
Italian Ice (probably the mildest tomato, it’s almost white with only an off yellow color. It’s best for eating fresh in salads and in salsa)
Sunsugar (similar to the Sun gold but bigger and sweeter with a less intense flavor. They’re fine but I personally prefer the Sun Golds)
Jaune Flamme (an orange French heirloom that is the largest tomato that grows well without bursting in an Earthboxes, they’re in between a cherry and a plum tomato about twice the size of a golf ball and do have a fairly intense tomatoey flavor).

If in the DSM metro, what places would you guys recommend for a greenhouse with a nice variety?
Master Gardeners usually have plant sales. Closest I could find to Des Moines is Dallas County in Adel this weekend. You'll have to keep them alive indoors for a few weeks the way this spring has been but it'll probably be your best bet for wide variety

We exclusively grow cherry tomatoes, and our choices this year are Honeycomb and Cherry Baby. Last year the Super Sweets seemed much more susceptible to splitting.

Master Gardeners usually have plant sales. Closest I could find to Des Moines is Dallas County in Adel this weekend. You'll have to keep them alive indoors for a few weeks the way this spring has been but it'll probably be your best bet for wide variety

grazie mille

Red snapper eh? I dated a redhead once and red snapper had a whole different meaning.

This season I'm doing Mortgage Lifter, Red Snapper and SuperSweet 100. They've been transplanted out since early March.

This is my first year trying the Red Snapper and it's producing some nice big bun-sized tomatoes. However, while they taste really good, too, the Mortgage Lifter is just a little bit better IMHO.

I also have the Socrates cucumbers going, and a nice little herb garden (rosemary, thyme, and oregano).

The basil is struggling this year for some reason. I can't figure out why.

Pole beans are flowering now, but no beans yet.

I'm waiting on a delivery of sweet potato slips (Vardaman). That variety is supposed to stay bushy and not sprawl all over the place, producing great-tasting tubers as well.

We'll see.
I planted a mortgage lifter this year as well. Looking forward to that one.

Since I live in Southwood which has big homes and practically no yards, I don’t have a large garden just six standard size Earthboxes, two herb towers and about 20 planters for various herbs and succulents. The Earthboxes (and I mean the trademarked self watering kind found here https://earthbox.com/gardening-syst...w6bG7RYoyiggRRZd6P_0Uo2QDw8LywyxoC8YUQAvD_BwE and not the generic type you build yourself) are fantastic for greens like lettuce, mustard, cabbage, collards, watercress, arugula, kale, etc… and do well with things that produce small fruits like various hot peppers, eggplants etc….but large and medium varieties of tomatoes do not work.

Earthboxes cannot easily grow any tomatoes that are plum sized or bigger as the constant supply of water causes the fruit to swell and they literally burst at the seams. So I don’t know how any of the medium and larger heirloom varieties work and taste in a typical garden. But I have successfully grown thousands of grape and cherry tomatoes. The Earthbox works fantastically with the small tomatoes and each plant will be literally loaded down with hundreds of small fruit.

My particular favorites of the small tomatoes are:
yellow pear (they are very light in flavor with a mild citrus flavor and produce like crazy. They are not sour nor are they overly sweet. Just a perfectly balanced tomato that is best eaten fresh. In Earthboxes they are usually the best producers)
Sun gold (tiny orange colored grape tomatoes that actually have an intense flavor. Probably the most flavorful of all the small tomatoes)
Sweet100s (your typical red cherry tomato that is very sweet. Not as intense of flavor as the Sun Golds but has a standard tomato flavor alongside the strong sweetness)
Black Cherry (similar to Sweet100s but with a stronger tomato flavor and less overall sweetness)
Green Envy (very sweet despite staying green, these are perfect for grilling and high heat preps)
Italian Ice (probably the mildest tomato, it’s almost white with only an off yellow color. It’s best for eating fresh in salads and in salsa)
Sunsugar (similar to the Sun gold but bigger and sweeter with a less intense flavor. They’re fine but I personally prefer the Sun Golds)
Jaune Flamme (an orange French heirloom that is the largest tomato that grows well without bursting in an Earthboxes, they’re in between a cherry and a plum tomato about twice the size of a golf ball and do have a fairly intense tomatoey flavor).

I have crazy good results with big tomatoes using Leon's Wicking Tubs.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
The Rainbow Mix: Earth Juice is a game changer for soil amendments. You can find it at the hydroponics stores, or on amazon.

613Wv26cMgL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
So you guys don't just plant tomatoes in the soil? Iowa's soil is some of the best in the world, but maybe there is an advantage to not going old school?
I plant them in the ground as God intended. Then I mulch the entire area with grass clippings to retain moisture and avoid spending all damn Summer picking weeds out of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT