ADVERTISEMENT

Camp Position Battle (Thoughts)

Rocket98

HB All-American
Nov 16, 2010
WR 4
First of all the way Iowa runs there offense the #4 WR doesn't mean a whole lot. The key is being in the top 5 or 6, so you are in on one of the various formations. I will rank the Top 12 in my order of getting the most snaps at the beginning of the year and at the end of the year.

Games 1-4 Game 5-13
Smith Smith
MVB MVB
Hillyer Scheel
Scheel Hillyer
Stone Stone
Parker Falconer
McCarron Ogwo
Jackson Jackson
Harris McCarron
Falconer Nash
Nash McCarron
Ogwo Harris

OG
I don't disagree with Tom at all on this. I'd say there are a couple wildcards that he didn't mention:
Does Daniels or Newborg join the mix of interior linemen? Daniels got a head start on the competition by arriving last January.

RB
Again a position that we'll play 4, so getting snaps isn't the problem it's how many snaps you will get. I like all 4 on the depth chart. I believe Daniels will be the guy that carries the bulk of the load. Canzeri is the steady guy that will have his 6-8 carries per game. I believe you are going to Mitchell continue to move up the chart as far as carries goes. Early maybe we'll see him only get 4-6 per game, but by November his total could be 12-15 and be a big threat in the passing game. IMO Wadley has a big upside as well. His weight and fumbling issues prevent him from being "the guy". A year away and he could be a guy that we will fall in love with.

Punter
Honestly, I think we make a big deal about nothing. Dillon Kidd averaged 38 yards per punt. There were only three B1G schools that averaged more than 43 yds per punt. In 2009 we averaged 39.5. Those numbers can be skewed by a simple thing as going into the wind vs. with the wind. Kidd is the guy. I'd rather not waste the time or the leg of a stud kicker that we need to be focused on making pressure kicks and kicking touchbacks.

Safety
We hear that it is suddenly a two man race with Taylor and Gair?? Gair did not have a great spring of the 4 days I observed. He didn't play with the energy, speed, and attack mode that I saw out of Lomax, Snyder, and Taylor. Coach Ferentz and Parker said they couldn't and wouldn't name a starter after Taylor and Snyder after the conclusion of spring practice. The move to free safety by Snyder allows him to know both positions for protection if Lomax goes down with an injury. Both coaches have said that the best two safeties on the field will be starting, and I think it's a two man race with Taylor and Snyder. My guess is you may see both of them depending on opponent, down and distance, and injuries.

Reactions: Khawk4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News