ADVERTISEMENT

Campbell speaking with Jets

As a Hawk fan I would like to see him leave as he is going to be a pain for Iowa down the road. However, I don't know why anyone coaching football would go from Ames to New York. Just seems like a completely different lifestyle outside of football. I get going to the NFL, but New York seems like a very tough market. I just don't seeing this making sense.

As a Hawk fan I would like to see him leave as he is going to be a pain for Iowa down the road. However, I don't know why anyone coaching football would go from Ames to New York. Just seems like a completely different lifestyle outside of football. I get going to the NFL, but New York seems like a very tough market. I just don't seeing this making sense.
Well, it would have one thing in common with Ames. Win about 5 games, and people will think you’re a miracle worker.

It's a brutal market for players and coaches. About the only good thing about going to the Jets is their fans probably have pretty low expectations, so you may get a little more time and deference. But on the outside chance he is successful, his earning potential from endorsements would be astronomical. Other thing is, if he fails, that doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't come back to a high profile college job and have significant success (Saban).

Clown fans arriving in this thread in 3, 2, 1....
And another kernel of brilliant insight from Franisdaman.....Cyclone fans might post in a thread about their head football coach. Who else would ever have predicted that? Good goin'.

Campbell is a 5-time National Champion so I can see why the Jets would have interest.

In all seriousness, I don't know how much serious interest Campbell has. The Jets roster is pretty bad and they aren't going to draft the 'sure thing' pick in Lawrence. NY is such a volatile market that you could be gone in 2 years like Gase so job security is fragile compared to Ames where Campbell could have a job being .500 for the next 10 years. Conversely, the NFL is such a huge stage and NY/NJ is such a huge market that I get the incentives to want to take the jump.

Also, any Iowa fan who wouldn't be at least a little happy to see Campbell leave Ames is lying.

It would shock me if he went to the Jets, for all the obvious reasons plus one other: A number of his players are opting to take advantage of the NCAA waiver and come back for an extra year next season. I doubt they made that decision without being reassured that the head coach would return, too.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
As Kirk would say “he can go get his butt shot off in the NFL”. He is at a great age to take the money, and if it doesn’t work out, still be in a fantastic position to land a big college job.

Agree, Get a 5 year 30 mil contract, If it doesn’t pan out he can still get a great college job in a few years, NY probably wouldn’t be the ideal job but that’s a decision for him.

Pete Carroll boomeranged through NY just fine. Take the money, if offerred, and run. Just like college kids declaring early, the future is unknown. If you win in NY - miracle worker - if you continue to lose - expected. Win/win with $.

Yep, I just hope Iowa can somehow beat Iowa State in football with that genius of a head coach on their sideline going 0-5 head to head vs KF. But we all know ISU fans consider this a nothing burger now that they win all their B12 games.

And definitely go to New York Matty, and hopefully find an orthodontist since there doesn’t seem to be one in Ames.

So he takes the Jets job, then Purdy declares for the Draft and Campbell takes him #2 overall?

We might actually have a chance to beat Iowa State if that happens.......... ;)
Interesting idea on Purdy at #2. Maybe Campbell would think about it, however I am skeptical that he would rated that high, or the Jets GM would allow him to draft Purdy that high. However, Purdy might still be available in round 2. Curious, where has Purdy been rated at amongst QB"s?

You'd think football was football, but very few have been able to make the transition from being a successful college coach to coaching in the NFL. Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, the list goes on and on. Prior to winning a national championship at Notre Dame, Lou Holtz spent a year as a coach of the Jets in 70s. When I see Campbell, he seems the type that would relate better with college players than he would with pros.

Taking the Jets job means a guaranteed firing in 3 or 4 years.

He can probably coach in Ames for as long as he wants.

I don't know why an NFL team would hire him as head coach. He hasn't held an NFL job a single day of his life. Most of those other guys did and still failed.

Campbell is a 5-time National Champion so I can see why the Jets would have interest.

In all seriousness, I don't know how much serious interest Campbell has. The Jets roster is pretty bad and they aren't going to draft the 'sure thing' pick in Lawrence. NY is such a volatile market that you could be gone in 2 years like Gase so job security is fragile compared to Ames where Campbell could have a job being .500 for the next 10 years. Conversely, the NFL is such a huge stage and NY/NJ is such a huge market that I get the incentives to want to take the jump.

Also, any Iowa fan who wouldn't be at least a little happy to see Campbell leave Ames is lying.
I'm as solid a Hawk fan as I know, but I'm not lying- I'd LOVE to see Matt stay at ISU and build on what they've already done together.* To have two teams of consistent high quality (I'm proud we are the other one) along with a few others from different divisions like UNI, Grand View and Iowa Western can only raise and mold the national perception of our state, our people and our rivalry - and the perspective of prospective recruits. Who loses?

*Whenever I write favorably of Matty, I always try to include the caveat that I recognize my own prejudices here- my Father preceded Matt as Head Coach of the University of Toledo Rockets a couple of generations before, and I grew up walking the sidelines of the Glass Bowl.

Reactions: 24 so far
The lure and angst to turn around a hurting Franchise like the NY Jets is definitely something to think about. Can you imagine becoming the Jets coach and making them a playoff team? Or sh*t, even just a .500 team lol.

I get it, but it's certainly HIGHHH risk high reward. Uprooting the wife (and kids?) just to maybe get fired 2 years later though.....yup - high risk.

Reactions: cm8124
This is a win/win for Campball. If he's got an agent, this gets you a contract extension at the very worst.

The bad part for ISU football is that ... well, it's still ISU football.

Campbell doesn't have an agent...because he simply doesn't need or want one. He's not uprooting his children and family to take a high risk job in NY. Ohio State or Notre Dame...he just might...New York Jets puhleassse.

Interesting idea on Purdy at #2. Maybe Campbell would think about it, however I am skeptical that he would rated that high, or the Jets GM would allow him to draft Purdy that high. However, Purdy might still be available in round 2. Curious, where has Purdy been rated at amongst QB"s?
Not sure where Kiper has him 🙄, but imho he is an UDFA. Too short and not athletic enough to make up for that.

Reactions: MitchLL
If you read the article it says "is expected to interview" with the Jets. He turned down an interview last time, and has no interest in living in New York. He has a top ten team coming back, his top QB and a Heisman candidate running back and is no doubt looking at the big prize this time. Just another in the dozens of speculative stories about Matt Campbell. KF had that when he was younger and teams were interested in him.

Sorry Hawk fans ... but I don't see Campbell leaving. Too much job security at Ames. Not unlike Ferentz and the NFL overtures ... this is about leverage. It helps him to project his assistants, give him more power, and allow him to ultimately leverage that for better contracts for himself and his assistants.

Campbell doesn't have an agent...because he simply doesn't need or want one. He's not uprooting his children and family to take a high risk job in NY. Ohio State or Notre Dame...he just might...New York Jets puhleassse.
Your delusional if you don't think he'd jump at the chance to be an NFL coach. There's only 32 positions in the entire world. If he wants an NFL job he's gonna go.

I'm as solid a Hawk fan as I know, but I'm not lying- I'd LOVE to see Matt stay at ISU and build on what they've already done together.* To have two teams of consistent high quality (I'm proud we are the other one) along with a few others from different divisions like UNI, Grand View and Iowa Western can only raise and mold the national perception of our state, our people and our rivalry - and the perspective of prospective recruits. Who loses?

*Whenever I write favorably of Matty, I always try to include the caveat that I recognize my own prejudices here- my Father preceded Matt as Head Coach of the University of Toledo Rockets a couple of generations before, and I grew up walking the sidelines of the Glass Bowl.
Ukraine, is it safe to assume you don’t currently live in Iowa? I have always figured I would feel the same if I moved out of state.

Since I do indeed live in Central Iowa, ISU can eat a bag of dicks

If you read the article it says "is expected to interview" with the Jets. He turned down an interview last time, and has no interest in living in New York. He has a top ten team coming back, his top QB and a Heisman candidate running back and is no doubt looking at the big prize this time. Just another in the dozens of speculative stories about Matt Campbell. KF had that when he was younger and teams were interested in him.
in a normal year his team is not even close to top ten. They may start the season there and by the end may be lucky to be top 25

Sorry Hawk fans ... but I don't see Campbell leaving. Too much job security at Ames. Not unlike Ferentz and the NFL overtures ... this is about leverage. It helps him to project his assistants, give him more power, and allow him to ultimately leverage that for better contracts for himself and his assistants.
He’ll leave. Might not be this year, but he’ll leave. It allegedly will be for an NFL team. Hard to imagine he’s been holding out for the Jets though.

He doesn’t need to talk to the Jets to get whatever he wants in Ames.

And another kernel of brilliant insight from Franisdaman.....Cyclone fans might post in a thread about their head football coach. Who else would ever have predicted that? Good goin'.
He's ripping you insecure little brother losers for being here in the first place. Idea of heading to cf for anything is laughable to me

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT