ADVERTISEMENT

Campbell speaking with Jets

Yep, I just hope Iowa can somehow beat Iowa State in football with that genius of a head coach on their sideline going 0-5 head to head vs KF. But we all know ISU fans consider this a nothing burger now that they win all their B12 games.

And definitely go to New York Matty, and hopefully find an orthodontist since there doesn’t seem to be one in Ames.
I would highly recommend Gary Barta's orthodontist...
154614390.jpg.0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
Interesting idea on Purdy at #2. Maybe Campbell would think about it, however I am skeptical that he would rated that high, or the Jets GM would allow him to draft Purdy that high. However, Purdy might still be available in round 2. Curious, where has Purdy been rated at amongst QB"s?
You cannot be serious.

Reactions: 24 so far
The pandemic may have a lasting impact on college coach salaries. Not the NFL. Take the money and try to turn the Jets around. If it does not work out, college jobs will be there. The only way to go is up in NY, it is not a bad situation to walk into.

Reactions: TtotheL
Good NFL teams rarely are looking for new coaches. Any college coach jumping to the NFL is going to a currently bad team.

You are an idiot. Purdy outside the the Texas Arena football league sucks......We will beat ISU with, or without Purdy and Soupy Campbell.
Comprehend much? Apparently not.

You have a steaming pile of dogshit where your brain is supposed to be.

@MesaClone is only here to brag about Clown U's TWO CONSECUTIVE BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

You can't make this $hit up.

Well yes...when they win the most games in conference next season...which they did this season...that makes 2. This is likely hard for you...but...1+1=2.

That's as per YOU and your fellow Hawk fans...as you've told us for years, winning the Big 12 tournament didn't matter as Kansas was still the conference champion by virtue of winning the most games in season. So, I accept your premise...a premise you fellas here have fought hard for these past 10 years. So you see, no need to make any $hit up...you've done all the work on that already.

Oh I get it, take credit for wins you haven’t won yet. Well, you don’t have a National Championship like we have from 2022 so suck on that!

Why do you post here? No friends on the clown boards you can hang with? This is likely hard for you to understand but in basketball there is a conference champion and then a conference tournament champion who gets an auto bid to the tourney.

Now in college football, there is no Conference tournament champion because they don’t have a tournament so they take division winners to match up to declare the winner. See, your conference wasn’t smart enough to make 2 divisions because no one wanted to join the sinking ship the Big 12 is..... so the top 2 play each other to declare the conference champ which you lost. That clear it up for you sport?
Show me the trophy or banner or anything that says ISU 2020 Big12 Champs.

Last edited:
It would shock me if he went to the Jets, for all the obvious reasons plus one other: A number of his players are opting to take advantage of the NCAA waiver and come back for an extra year next season. I doubt they made that decision without being reassured that the head coach would return, too.
Absolutely, because college coaches ALWAYS stay true to their word when they say they have NO interest in leaving...... :rolleyes:

He turned them down a couple years back...so apparently he won't "jump" at such a chance. No coach is locked at in at ANY university, but Campbell is no more likely to go job hunting then Kirk Ferentz is.
Perhaps Campbell can work his “magic” with the Iswho basketball team? Now THAT is a pathetic bunch.

I sure as heck hope he doesn't, but if you think he won't be a leading candidate after winning the Big 12 two years in a row...well...you need to wake up. He's one of the hottest coaches in college ball right now and has already swatted away suitors ranging from Florida State to Tennessee.
Lol - yeah rrriiiggghhhttt:)

Ferentz was just 43 when he took the Iowa job...a mere 2 years older than Campbell is now.

Yes...that's PRECISELY THE POINT. Talk that KFz might test the NFL made sense THEN...when he was in his 40s. Just as it does NOW with Campbell at a similar age. It DOESN'T with a guy who's in his 60s. You said the chances were essentially the same for both NOW. Good god man, how can it be explained to you?.

Sure...he "can". But he isn't, which is the real point that matters. He has shown absolutely no interest in departing ISU...at any point in his 5 year tenure.

We'll see

Yes, its than. You really got me on that one.

You got yourself...and you dropped the apostrophe in "its".
giphy.gif

Ukraine, is it safe to assume you don’t currently live in Iowa? I have always figured I would feel the same if I moved out of state.

Since I do indeed live in Central Iowa, ISU can eat a bag of dicks

Made me laugh! It's safe to assume I moved a long way away for a long time. But I moved back to IC almost 4 years ago when I finally quit my day job in the US Virgin Islands. Bought season tickets before I even had a place to live, and have never regretted it a single day. Thx!

All these comments about why Cyclone fans are on this site....if it bothers you so much, why don’t you just go to the paid site?

Oh, that’s right..... you’re too da!!m cheap!

Seems Campbell will be rolling the dice another year in Ames. Only takes one or two disappointing seasons to see his stock fall drastically and these opportunities disappear.

Oh I get it, take credit for wins you haven’t won yet. Well, you don’t have a National Championship like we have from 2022 so suck on that!

Why do you post here? No friends on the clown boards you can hang with? This is likely hard for you to understand but in basketball there is a conference champion and then a conference tournament champion who gets an auto bid to the tourney.

Now in college football, there is no Conference tournament champion because they don’t have a tournament so they take division winners to match up to declare the winner. See, your conference wasn’t smart enough to make 2 divisions because no one wanted to join the sinking ship the Big 12 is..... so the top 2 play each other to declare the conference champ which you lost. That clear it up for you sport?
Show me the trophy or banner or anything that says ISU 2020 Big12 Champs.
Just when you think Clone fans can’t get any more stupid.....not only are they claiming a Big 12 Championship for this season that they didn’t win......now they are claiming a championship for a season that hasn’t even been played yet! You can’t make this stuff up!

The reason that Campbell now and KF a decade ago were of interest to NFL teams is they have proven they can win games when the talent is equal or they have less that their opponent. Saban, Urban Meyer and a whole list of college coaches at powerhouses have proven they can win big when they have better talent than the opponent. Of course, the most successful NFL coaches are good because they can coach AND they have talent. Pete Carroll is an interesting case. Flamed out at NE and the Jets, went to college at a great job and won big. Went back to Seattle where he has won a lot of games where they hired a good GM to keep the talent level flowing.

If Campbell wants to coach in the NFL, he needs to go ahead and do it and see what he can do. If he doesn't, then he should stay at ISU. It's really that simple.

Campbell's results are exceeding his talent, but the NFL figured out after the first 5 years that it's not true for KF. But much of the fan base has still not figured it out. Our NFL representation indicates a record that should be 10-2 or11-1, not 8-4. And no team has suffered as many losses when double digit favorites.

ISU will be favored over us this fall and could very well win, not because they have more talent, but because they have vastly superior offensive schemes.

All these comments about why Cyclone fans are on this site....if it bothers you so much, why don’t you just go to the paid site?

Oh, that’s right..... you’re too da!!m cheap!
This is like saying, if you don't want me to piss in your yard, then move to a bigger house in a gated community. Why don't you just piss in your own yard?

Reactions: 24 so far
Campbell's results are exceeding his talent, but the NFL figured out after the first 5 years that it's not true for KF. But much of the fan base has still not figured it out. Our NFL representation indicates a record that should be 10-2 or11-1, not 8-4. And no team has suffered as many losses when double digit favorites.

ISU will be favored over us this fall and could very well win, not because they have more talent, but because they have vastly superior offensive schemes.
It's true our team is more talented based on the recruiting rankings than ISU and typically always is, but i also think you are not giving our program and KF enough credit for developing guys into NFL players. It's not like we are bringing in top 10 classes. The offensive scheme is frustrating though there's no doubt about it, feels like that one thing has prevented us from stepping to the next level. However, even if we fix the scheme on O, still going to be looking up at the Bama, Clemson OSUs of the world due to raw superior talent combined with good coaching.

Well yes...when they win the most games in conference next season...which they did this season...that makes 2. This is likely hard for you...but...1+1=2.

That's as per YOU and your fellow Hawk fans...as you've told us for years, winning the Big 12 tournament didn't matter as Kansas was still the conference champion by virtue of winning the most games in season. So, I accept your premise...a premise you fellas here have fought hard for these past 10 years. So you see, no need to make any $hit up...you've done all the work on that already.

If only there was some way to clear this up. Like an organization that all of the conference schools belong to. An organization that sets and enforces rules and standards, an organization that solves disputes between member schools, an organization that declares champions. Wouldn’t that be a great idea? Maybe they should hire Bob Bowlsby to look into starting this organization. If we had an organization like that they could set the standard for determining a champion. You say there is one already? Better tell Mesa.

I think that's quite a bit of an over statement, that vastly superior offensive scheme has been out scored by Iowa the last 5 years 148-81. Four games isu has scored less than 20, with two of those being a whopping 3 points scored per game.

If you meant it as sarcasm I would suggest not using emojis' that only teenage girls normally use.
If you're that dense and you couldn't figure It out, that's on you.

That's kind of the whole point with the "emoji's teenage girls normally use", it basically Screamed sarcasm, yet you missed it and I'm the idiot. LOL! GFY

Last edited:

He has done a great job improving the talent. They might have 15-20 pros on their roster. Probably closer to 10-15 but amazing turnaround of talent.

I don’t think he is leaving he has some really good seniors returning to play another year. They could be better next year

I hear what you are saying, my problem with your big 12 tourney wins was every one was won by not having to play KS or if you did beat them they were without their top first or second player.

He has done a great job improving the talent. They might have 15-20 pros on their roster. Probably closer to 10-15 but amazing turnaround of talent.

I agree, give Campbell his credit. Other than Ames legacies, ISU is distant 2nd to Iowa City for Iowa talent. Campbell has ramped up the recruiting and gotten unheard of results at ISU. Campbell would be smart to go to NFL. Probably $8 million/yr salary and even if he flops, college football will take him back at $4 million/year. If he returns to college game after NFL, wherever he ends up in college, almost any destination is easier to win than ISU.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
I think Campbell is using this as a PR play to further bolster his interest after next season to drive up the price based on having multiple suitors at the auction. He's coming back for another year at Iowa State, and based on how things shake out this coming year with firings or coaches leaving for NFL/other college positions, I think he's going to be at one of these schools for the 2022 campaign: Michigan, Penn State, Tennessee, USC, Notre Dame, or Nebraska for the 2022 campaign. He'll use NFL interest as a smoke screen.

He's a college coach. He's about details and discipline, and I don't think NFL egos will subscribe to his discipline/culture nearly as well as college athletes do.

I think Campbell is using this as a PR play to further bolster his interest after next season to drive up the price based on having multiple suitors at the auction. He's coming back for another year at Iowa State, and based on how things shake out this coming year with firings or coaches leaving for NFL/other college positions, I think he's going to be at one of these schools for the 2022 campaign: Michigan, Penn State, Tennessee, USC, Notre Dame, or Nebraska for the 2022 campaign. He'll use NFL interest as a smoke screen.

He's a college coach. He's about details and discipline, and I don't think NFL egos will subscribe to his discipline/culture nearly as well as college athletes do.

Sorry but this doesn't make a lot of sense. It's not like Campbell can just artificially create the illusion of NFL interest, that's not something he can control. If he was trying to play it up then maybe he would actually do some interviews? I agree with you that I think he's a college coach, but it seems like many in the NFL view him as a potential fit especially for a team like the jets that needs a whole culture change not just a change in scheme. The idea of him wanting jobs like Nebraska or Tennessee is laughable. Could see him leaving for a job like ND, Michigan, OSU, Penn St but those jobs have to actually be open which isn't a guarantee after next year.

What the Hell does this mean? “Grateful to continue to lead to be different”??
Drink every to and you’ll be on your way to a buzz.
I think thats his academic requirement for players. Spell it to, too or two and you’re in.

Sometimes these "discussions" with other teams are for no other reason than to up the ante for contract extensions or jack up the price for the job you do want. Anyone going to the Jets has to be desperate. The assistant that has been trying to get a head coaching job and hasn't, or someone that is considered done... Campbell is not desperate. He can bide his time, he has a good job is currently successful and has no reason to jump ship for the 2nd worst head coaching job in the NFL (Jax is #1 worst). So, i think the talks are done to get to get potential teams to get off their ass and make an offer or to cause an extension/raise in Ames...

I hear what you are saying, my problem with your big 12 tourney wins was every one was won by not having to play KS or if you did beat them they were without their top first or second player.
Iowa State beat Kansas in the Championship game a few times I think.

With all the returning players it looks like Campbell stays put this year. Who knows next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT