ADVERTISEMENT

Campbell speaking with Jets

I think Campbell is using this as a PR play to further bolster his interest after next season to drive up the price based on having multiple suitors at the auction. He's coming back for another year at Iowa State, and based on how things shake out this coming year with firings or coaches leaving for NFL/other college positions, I think he's going to be at one of these schools for the 2022 campaign: Michigan, Penn State, Tennessee, USC, Notre Dame, or Nebraska for the 2022 campaign. He'll use NFL interest as a smoke screen.

He's a college coach. He's about details and discipline, and I don't think NFL egos will subscribe to his discipline/culture nearly as well as college athletes do.
He already turned down Tennessee. MC is really only interested in ND and OSU. Nebraska, Michigan, Penn State, and USC job are really not great jobs anymore.

Why would anyone want the Michigan Job. It is a career killer. You are evaluated only on one game, you have to beat OSU or you are out. The other 11 games barely matter to those people. You could be 10-2 or 11-1 for years, but if you consistently lose to OSU, they will run you out.

Why would anyone want the Michigan Job. It is a career killer. You are evaluated only on one game, you have to beat OSU or you are out. The other 11 games barely matter to those people. You could be 10-2 or 11-1 for years, but if you consistently lose to OSU, they will run you out.

That should sound familiar to an ISU fan

Because Michigan is the winningest program in college football history. An alumni base that Rivals small countries. It has resources than assets for the football program that Iowa State can only dream of. The demands are high so are the and rewards of high-level winning after the Decades of mediocrity. And regardless of any big 12 b******* it is in one of the two most premier conferences in the country. Outside of that I don't know

Well they just had the biggest dogshit season of my lifetime and extended boogereater's contract. 100,000 fans in a pre-covid world and smack dab in the middle of one of the best recruiting areas in the country. Texas is the only job in your conference that can compare to what Michigan has to offer.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Well yes...when they win the most games in conference next season...which they did this season...that makes 2. This is likely hard for you...but...1+1=2.

That's as per YOU and your fellow Hawk fans...as you've told us for years, winning the Big 12 tournament didn't matter as Kansas was still the conference champion by virtue of winning the most games in season. So, I accept your premise...a premise you fellas here have fought hard for these past 10 years. So you see, no need to make any $hit up...you've done all the work on that already.

In basketball, we all know that the regular season champion is the officially recognized conference champion.

And in football, we all know that each of the Power 5 conferences have a championship game to determine its conference champion.

Yet in your mind:

* Iowa State won the 2020 Big 12 Football Championship and not Oklahoma.

* Iowa State will also win the 2021 Big 12 Football Championship.

Can you provide a link where you Clown fans are buying your 2020 Big 12 Football Championship tshirts and hats? Because, after all, there has to be one!! And shit, if there is not, somebody should start printing shirts & hats for all you idiots out there!

And you wonder why we call you Clowns?

Last edited:
This is like saying, if you don't want me to piss in your yard, then move to a bigger house in a gated community. Why don't you just piss in your own yard?

I use the facilities in my house.
My dog, on the other hand........

Just when you think Clone fans can’t get any more stupid.....not only are they claiming a Big 12 Championship for this season that they didn’t win......now they are claiming a championship for a season that hasn’t even been played yet! You can’t make this stuff up!

Even @Lone Clone isn't claiming a 2020 Big 12 Football Championship like @MesaClone ...or is he???

LOL

I would think Michigan and PSU would still qualify. I can buy USC though.

Call me crazy but I'm not so sure i wouldn't want the USC job over Penn st and Michigan. Great hotbed for talent, not a ton of recruiting competition out west, tons of resources and a lot to sell (LOCATION, brand, media coverage) kids. I know it probably seems crazy to us midwesterners because we don't hold such things in such high regard and idt a midwest rooted coach like MC is a likely fit there, but man it seems like that gig has a world of possibilities.

At Michigan and Penn st you are going to be buried by ohio state's dominance on the field and in recruiting but have fan expectations of beating OSU at least some of the time. Also have to face much greater competition with ACC and SEC schools nearby.

Call me crazy but I'm not so sure i wouldn't want the USC job over Penn st and Michigan. Great hotbed for talent, not a ton of recruiting competition out west, tons of resources and a lot to sell (LOCATION, brand, media coverage) kids. I know it probably seems crazy to us midwesterners because we don't hold such things in such high regard and idt a midwest rooted coach like MC is a likely fit there, but man it seems like that gig has a world of possibilities.

At Michigan and Penn st you are going to be buried by ohio state's dominance on the field and in recruiting but have fan expectations of beating OSU at least some of the time. Also have to face much greater competition with ACC and SEC schools nearby.
Exactly, if you don't beat OSU, you are done at either of those schools. Does not matter what they have to offer, their fan bases will throw you under the bus so fast if you do not beat OSU. Just like Texas, they are not going to tolerate losing to the wrong team.

Because Michigan is the winningest program in college football history. An alumni base that Rivals small countries. It has resources than assets for the football program that Iowa State can only dream of. The demands are high so are the and rewards of high-level winning after the Decades of mediocrity. And regardless of any big 12 b******* it is in one of the two most premier conferences in the country. Outside of that I don't know
And everything you mention means absolutely nothing if you lose to OSU. Anyone that takes that job, has to assume they will be fired in 4 to 5 years. Kind of like Texas!

Exactly, if you don't beat OSU, you are done at either of those schools. Does not matter what they have to offer, their fan bases will throw you under the bus so fast if you do not beat OSU. Just like Texas, they are not going to tolerate losing to the wrong team.

And you doubled down on that. Harbaugh has not beaten OSU and not only did he not get fired, he just got his contract extended. Let's see how long Matty Road Rage is welcome in L'ames when he can't beat Iowa and "only" wins 7-8 games per year. You guys ran McCarney out of town for not being able to sustain whatever ludicrous expectations you had for him.

I sure as heck hope he doesn't, but if you think he won't be a leading candidate after winning the Big 12 two years in a row...well...you need to wake up. He's one of the hottest coaches in college ball right now and has already swatted away suitors ranging from Florida State to Tennessee.
When did you win the little 12?

Somebody better notify the Big 12 that their website is incorrect. They seem to think that Oklahoma was the champion this year. How would anyone think that the conference that determines these things would have it correct?

• Oklahoma’s current streak of six straight outright league championships is the longest among current Power Five programs since Oklahoma won 12 in a row from 1948 to ’59 under Bud Wilkinson. Clemson, which plays later today, is also riding a five-game outright streak [ACC]). The Sooners also won or shared nine consecutive conference titles from 1972 to ’80.

That should sound familiar to an ISU fan
That's pretty hilarious, since it's the exact opposite of the facts. For starters, Campbell is 0-4 against Iowa and I don't hear Cyclone fans demanding he be fired, or see anybody with a brain saying he's on the hot seat.

Mac was 7-7 against Iowa, including 5 straight. He got fired.
Rhoads was 3-4 against Iowa. He got fired.
Chizik was 1-1. He bailed out.
Duncan was 3-1. He left before being fired, but just barely.
Walden was 0-10. He was fired, but Iowa wasn't the reason.

Reactions: CyberJJ
That's pretty hilarious, since it's the exact opposite of the facts. For starters, Campbell is 0-4 against Iowa and I don't hear Cyclone fans demanding he be fired, or see anybody with a brain saying he's on the hot seat.

Mac was 7-7 against Iowa, including 5 straight. He got fired.
Rhoads was 3-4 against Iowa. He got fired.
Chizik was 1-1. He bailed out.
Duncan was 3-1. He left before being fired, but just barely.
Walden was 0-10. He was fired, but Iowa wasn't the reason.

Mac lost 3 of the last 4 after the 5 game streak. He ran out of good will for that and other reasons.

With all the returning players it looks like Campbell stays put this year. Who knows next year.
Yeah, I think he could see this as having his best year and the best year at ISU ever and if that happens he will have some really good job offers, especially say if Michigan stumbles again next year.

This is dumb. Michigan, USC and PSU are all great jobs.
How Helton hasnt been canned at USC is beyond me... He shouldve been canned when it came out they only had a few padded practices leading up to the Iowa game. USC is a sleeping giant

Reactions: David1979
How Helton hasnt been canned at USC is beyond me... He shouldve been canned when it came out they only had a few padded practices leading up to the Iowa game. USC is a sleeping giant
Yeah, I don't know how he still has a job.

Campbell may be the Kirk Ferentz of Iowa State and end up owning the state of Iowa and get his 5 plus million a year. He and his family love Ames.

• Haha
Reactions: not_mantiteo
Even @Lone Clone isn't claiming a 2020 Big 12 Football Championship like @MesaClone ...or is he???

LOL
Officially, no. Philosophically, yes. I'm consistent. When we win the league basketball tournament, I don't claim we are conference champions; that is the team which finished first in the standings after a round-robin schedule. Same thing in football. But I acknowledge the double standard the league uses. If I were quizzed on what team is the 2020 league champ, I would say Oklahoma.

Mac was fired because of the back-to-back seasons when his team crapped the bed and blew a berth in the title game.
Valid points. I think the Iowa thing may have had an impact as well.
Conference Record Finish Bowl
4-4 3rd Loses bowl beats Iowa
0-8 6th No Bowl loses to Iowa
Keeps his job despite a horrible 0-8 record, does coming off winning 5 in a row against Iowa have an impact? Not sure

4-4 T-1st Wins bowl loses to Iowa
4-4 T-2nd Loses bowl beats Iowa
1-7 6th No bowl loses to Iowa
Gets canned
3 years of overall better conference finishes, better bowl performance, worst season marginally better
Coming off winning 5 of 6 against Iowa-keeps job, loses 3 out 4 against Iowa and in spite of better overall results in the conference loses his job.
I realize that there were other factors and the fans had stopped supporting the program as much(40k for a game to win the division) but the optics seem to show the Iowa results had something to do with it as well.

Valid points. I think the Iowa thing may have had an impact as well.
Conference Record Finish Bowl
0-8 6th No Bowl loses to Iowa
Keeps his job despite a horrible 0-8 record, does coming off winning 5 in a row against Iowa have an impact? Not sure

4-4 T-1st Wins bowl loses to Iowa
4-4 T-2nd Loses bowl beats Iowa
1-7 6th No bowl loses to Iowa
Gets canned
3 years of overall better conference finishes, better bowl performance, worst season marginally better
Coming off winning 5 of 6 against Iowa-keeps job, loses 3 out 4 against Iowa and in spite of better overall results in the conference loses his job.
I realize that there were other factors and the fans had stopped supporting the program as much(40k for a game to win the division) but the optics seem to show the Iowa results had something to do with it as well.
I didn't pick up on even a hint of that at the time, and I'm fairly much in touch with Cyclone fan feelings. Losing to Iowa was part of it, sure, but by that time -- and thanks to Mac -- it wasn't nearly as big a deal because the teams were pretty competitive.

I will grant you one thing: Beating Iowa in '95 definitely saved his job. His first three years at ISU were -- in this order -- 3-8, 2-9 and 1-10. The week before the Iowa game, he lost the home opener convincingly to a TCU team that also had gone 1-10 the year before. Then ISU broke the 15-year streak of Iowa losses, and looked good doing it with a young team, and he got a renewal.

I didn't pick up on even a hint of that at the time, and I'm fairly much in touch with Cyclone fan feelings. Losing to Iowa was part of it, sure, but by that time -- and thanks to Mac -- it wasn't nearly as big a deal because the teams were pretty competitive.

I will grant you one thing: Beating Iowa in '95 definitely saved his job. His first three years at ISU were -- in this order -- 3-8, 2-9 and 1-10. The week before the Iowa game, he lost the home opener convincingly to a TCU team that also had gone 1-10 the year before. Then ISU broke the 15-year streak of Iowa losses, and looked good doing it with a young team, and he got a renewal.

Always wanted him to do well.

Officially, no. Philosophically, yes [I am claiming a 2020 Big 12 Football Championship]. I'm consistent. When we win the league basketball tournament, I don't claim we are conference champions; that is the team which finished first in the standings after a round-robin schedule. Same thing in football. But I acknowledge the double standard the league uses. If I were quizzed on what team is the 2020 league champ, I would say Oklahoma.

OMFG. You ARE claiming the 2020 Big 12 Football Championship. You Clown fans are something else.

Can you provide a link where you Clown fans are buying your 2020 Big 12 Football Championship t-shirts and hats? Because, after all, there has to be one!! And shit, if there is not, somebody should start printing shirts & hats for all you idiots out there! That person would make a fortune off you idiots

And you wonder why we call you Clowns?

Last edited:
Similar to when Iswho never beats Iowa in any sports, the Iswho AD and fan base throw a fit too.

He already turned down Tennessee. MC is really only interested in ND and OSU. Nebraska, Michigan, Penn State, and USC job are really not great jobs anymore.

Is there solid evidence that any Power 5 program has offered Campbell besides speculation? I haven’t seen anything.

Reactions: BBHawk
Nebraska, Michigan, Penn State, and USC job are really not great jobs anymore.

Look where he’s at! You’re Iowa State. He’s got a shitload of momentum and his recruiting class is ranked 50th! Nobody wants to play in Ames. Each of those schools offer tons more exposure, money and infinitely more recruits with interest.

He's delusional.
🙂

• Haha
Reactions: Psyclone
ADVERTISEMENT