ADVERTISEMENT

Can Joe T be our Davion Mitchell?

ObeseMuffins

HR MVP
Jan 7, 2007
  1. Similar body types
  2. Both elite defenders - bring it on defense/both are absolute dogs
  3. Both good playmakers
Obviously, the most glaring weakness of Joe T's game is his outside shot - but his form is there. He shot well from the stripe his freshmen year (83%). The kid just needs reps, more minutes, and trust from Fran, in my opinion. Note that Mitchell shot 28% from 3 his freshmen year, 32% his sophomore (redshirt) year, and finally 44% (!) his junior (redshirt) year - so don't give up on Joe T!

2021-2021, you'll see Joe T shoot 35% from 3 (with 3 attempts per game). You'll see the lane open for him. You'll see his turnovers way down! And You'll see him contend for B10 Defensive Player of the Year!

Last edited:
JFC, some of you people are amazing.
source.gif

Mitchell is 2 inches taller and has better hops, so there are some physical limitations Joe has to deal with. Joe is a little quicker, but he is also more predictable, almost exclusively looking to drive past his defender. Mitchell has learned to either drive or pull up for a jumper. Just watching those highlights, he's got good deception with his handles to be able to pull up from 3 when it's the best play. And his lobs are good when he sucks in that help defender on drives.

I don't know that Joe will ever develop into an elite PG, but he can at least try not to travel so much, and become a better shooter from deep.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
NO. Mitchell is quicker than Joe T, and literally will go by anyone whenever he wants, but he is in control at the same time. Joe is out of control a majority of the time, and doesn't have the ability to pull up and shoot a jump shot like Mitchell can. He often goes in out of control and throws up a prayer that has no chance of going in. Mitchell has unbelievable vision, and if help comes he dishes it off. Mitchell is also a good 3 point shooter, Joe T is not.

Reactions: Bravehawk56
Mitchell is 2 inches taller and has better hops, so there are some physical limitations Joe has to deal with. Joe is a little quicker, but he is also more predictable, almost exclusively looking to drive past his defender. Mitchell has learned to either drive or pull up for a jumper. Just watching those highlights, he's got good deception with his handles to be able to pull up from 3 when it's the best play. And his lobs are good when he sucks in that help defender on drives.

I don't know that Joe will ever develop into an elite PG, but he can at least try not to travel so much, and become a better shooter from deep.
Agree he probably won’t be elite. But he doesn’t need to be for us to have success. Needs to be a playmaker on offense and lockdown defender. I think we live with his turnovers bc he’ll create plenty on d. Consistent playing time for him is going to make all the difference. 1 other thing we should think about, the offense this year is probably going to be better suited to his style, more uptempo with a more athletic roster. Should be fun to watch him, pmac and keegan out on the fast breaks!

NO. Mitchell is quicker than Joe T, and literally will go by anyone whenever he wants, but he is in control at the same time. Joe is out of control a majority of the time, and doesn't have the ability to pull up and shoot a jump shot like Mitchell can. He often goes in out of control and throws up a prayer that has no chance of going in. Mitchell has unbelievable vision, and if help comes he dishes it off. Mitchell is also a good 3 point shooter, Joe T is not.
Mitchell is also a senior and joeT a soph. If we’re going to compare them, go back and compare their seasons by the grade they were in. Going off their frosh yrs, joeT actually had a better season. Can’t compare soph yrs bc mitchell transfered

I think ya'll are underestimating Joe T's vision. I wish I was retired so I could go back and clip some of his passes in the lane - from this season. He had great chemistry with Keegan, Pat, and was starting to develop some with Garza. When Joe T was extending his dribble penetration, he was making bounce passes that no one else on the team was making.

I think ya'll are underestimating Joe T's vision. I wish I was retired so I could go back and clip some of his passes in the lane - from this season. He had great chemistry with Keegan, Pat, and was starting to develop some with Garza. When Joe T was extending his dribble penetration, he was making bounce passes that no one else on the team was making.
Yeah, he definitely has some creativity and feel like he can set up easy buckets for Keegan and PMac. He will have to improve his shooting percentage though. I also feel like he plays smaller when he takes it to the rack, he will have to find a way to be more efficient on those dribble drives too.

I personally believe Ulis, while less flashy, could be the better point guard as he is more smooth and has better shooting mechanics. Of course, they will both play, and could even play together some. I am just happy we have some legit point guards competing for PT.

A lot of people sleeping on JoeT in this thread.

I think he will surprise quite a few of you next year. Not saying he will play in the NBA someday or anything but some people act like he can’t hit the broad side of a barn unless it is a layup.

Joe had good chemistry playing with the guys on the bench and many of those same guys will be starting or getting significant minutes next season. It makes a huge difference.

A lot of people sleeping on JoeT in this thread.

I think he will surprise quite a few of you next year. Not saying he will play in the NBA someday or anything but some people act like he can’t hit the broad side of a barn unless it is a layup.

Joe had good chemistry playing with the guys on the bench and many of those same guys will be starting or getting significant minutes next season. It makes a huge difference.
I honestly don’t think we’ve seen 2 guys with better chemistry than joeT and pmac in a very very long time. JoeT also had some extremely good passes to keegan. Im expecting a lot of transition layups/dunks

Anthony Cowan disagrees with a lot of these comments.

Are you seriously trying to compare these two?
I love Joe but good Lord, just f'ing stop with the stupidity.

Reactions: weeterkane
I don't care about any comparisons. I just want him to be the best Joe Toussaint possible. I thought he showed a glimpse of what he could be at the end of his freshman year and thought with a lot of hard work on specific areas of his game, he could be a real factor this past season. Didn't happen, but I'm willing to write it off as a sophomore slump if he returns this year with a reliable shot and added court awareness. He appears to have all the tools necessary to make himself a valuable Hawkeye.

Joe T just needs more minutes and work on his shot this off season. He has a chance to be something special at the point in these last two or three years depending on how long he decides to stay at Iowa. He can be something similar to the Baylor guard if he puts in the work.

I have always liked Joe T. and took fire for suggesting he should have played more. Seemed like whenever his pla justified more PT, the next game was filled with the greased shoe slips, travels, and to's. I think he will settle down with more PT. Looked at times like he was trying too hard in order to get more time. Not many guys can stay in front of him when he decides to go.

Last edited:
  1. Similar body types
  2. Both elite defenders - bring it on defense/both are absolute dogs
  3. Both good playmakers
Obviously, the most glaring weakness of Joe T's game is his outside shot - but his form is there. He shot well from the stripe his freshmen year (83%). The kid just needs reps, more minutes, and trust from Fran, in my opinion. Note that Mitchell shot 28% from 3 his freshmen year, 32% his sophomore (redshirt) year, and finally 44% (!) his junior (redshirt) year - so don't give up on Joe T!

2021-2021, you'll see Joe T shoot 35% from 3 (with 3 attempts per game). You'll see the lane open for him. You'll see his turnovers way down! And You'll see him contend for B10 Defensive Player of the Year!

Hahaha

Joe T is one of the biggest enigmas on the squad. His J is terrible. He dribbles the air out the ball.

Reactions: weeterkane
This is what they said about Davion Mitchell when he transferred out of Auburn, following his freshman year:

Davion Mitchell will be transferring away from the program after a freshman season in which he helped Auburn win its first SEC Championship in nineteen years. Mitchell averaged 3.7 ppg and 1.9 apg in just over seventeen minutes of playing time each game. He became one of the first guys off the bench alongside Malik Dunbar when Jared Harper would take an early breather.

Mitchell’s defense was one of of the bright spots for the Tigers, as he usually took on the opposition’s top offensive player when he came onto the floor, and he played tenaciously in his minutes. His offensive game needed work, as he hit double-digits just twice this year (vs George Mason and vs UConn), and he was usually good for a palming turnover or for an inadvertent foot on the end line. Frustrating at times, he provided a good spark for Auburn when he entered the game.

Who does that sound like?

This is what they said about Davion Mitchell when he transferred out of Auburn, following his freshman year:

Davion Mitchell will be transferring away from the program after a freshman season in which he helped Auburn win its first SEC Championship in nineteen years. Mitchell averaged 3.7 ppg and 1.9 apg in just over seventeen minutes of playing time each game. He became one of the first guys off the bench alongside Malik Dunbar when Jared Harper would take an early breather.

Mitchell’s defense was one of of the bright spots for the Tigers, as he usually took on the opposition’s top offensive player when he came onto the floor, and he played tenaciously in his minutes. His offensive game needed work, as he hit double-digits just twice this year (vs George Mason and vs UConn), and he was usually good for a palming turnover or for an inadvertent foot on the end line. Frustrating at times, he provided a good spark for Auburn when he entered the game.

Who does that sound like?
according to some posters, joeT has hit his max potential and is what he is. Pretty dam stupid. Lots of players improve over the years. Garza averaged around 12ppg his frosh/soph seasons then became the best player in the country his next 2 yrs. Players do get better!

ADVERTISEMENT