ADVERTISEMENT

Can somebody tell me the risk or downside..

TheOven

Scout Team
Feb 5, 2003
Given past performance, stats, etc. I would like to understand what is the risk in starting your 2nd, 3rd or 4th string qb. I see ZERO downside, how could it get worse. So if there is any risk or downside can somebody please let me know. Only one would be don't let a freshmen qb go out there and get crushed by a shit line. But our backups are not freshmen. Please tell me the risk and what there is to lose. WHAT IS THERE TO LOSE?? Please I need to hear this from somebody that is somewhat mentally sane.

I would love an iowa media member to ask that question exactly how it was written. I would love to know from the coaches. I don't think it can be answered but I would at least love to hear them try. Maybe that hobo Howe could give it a try. He could pretend like it's a diversity question and have the balls to ask.

I would love an iowa media member to ask that question exactly how it was written. I would love to know from the coaches. I don't think it can be answered but I would at least love to hear them try. Maybe that hobo Howe could give it a try. He could pretend like it's a diversity question and have the balls to ask.
Iowa media is not allowed to ask hard questions. Kirk will bottle himself up!

There is little risk according to stats and previous results by Padilla. Labas is a guy you want to get playing time with a big lead late in a game.

The nice winning streak in 2020 and the way the hawks started 6-0 last year I really thought Petras was settling in to be a 60% completion rate QB (which he was in the first 6 games last year). But he ended lasts year with down stats although he played very good against Nebby.

Petras had his worst performance ever yesterday. That is rough

There really isn’t a risk, especially from a hindsight performance of yesterday. But Petras has more experience, has more wins, and doesn’t make huge mistakes (in Kirk’s mind). I personally think Spencer is mentally beaten down. I believe he has lost the respect of some of his teammates (Laporte comes to mind). There has to be much more to this then what we are seeing on the field. No coach would put up with that performance for an entire game…yet it happens again and again. I don’t get it and neither do 70,000 fans. I really wish Kirk would go out of character and be up front with the media and the fans….like that will ever happen…..lol. But when he says we have two competent QB’S, then why doesn’t he give Padilla a legitimate shot. It’s perfect timing right now. We won’t win Saturday with Spencer. He’s bound to be better, but still probably not good enough. Put Padilla in in a pressure situation. You know it’s really pretty simple: if you keep getting the same results all of the time, and you want better results……duh…..YOU HAVE TO MAKE A CHANGE!!! Padilla deserves a chance. I can’t believe he stayed.

Given past performance, stats, etc. I would like to understand what is the risk in starting your 2nd, 3rd or 4th string qb. I see ZERO downside, how could it get worse. So if there is any risk or downside can somebody please let me know. Only one would be don't let a freshmen qb go out there and get crushed by a shit line. But our backups are not freshmen. Please tell me the risk and what there is to lose. WHAT IS THERE TO LOSE?? Please I need to hear this from somebody that is somewhat mentally sane.
There is no risk. Petras in the last 8 games has thrown one touchdown and eight interceptions. It doesn’t get worse than that. I gave Kirk and Spencer the benefit of doubt but enough is enough. Try anyone else. I don’t care if it’s Padilla, Labas, May or a walk on. Just try someone different.

There is no risk. Petras in the last 8 games has thrown one touchdown and eight interceptions. It doesn’t get worse than that. I gave Kirk and Spencer the benefit of doubt but enough is enough. Try anyone else. I don’t care if it’s Padilla, Labas, May or a walk on. Just try someone different.
I literally had that though while you typing. I get the whole loyalty principle, lets the teammates know the coaches will show them loyalty. I also get why you don't give up on something you know it just won't work.

It always seemed to me that recognition of failure is important to a good coach. If something wasn't working three tournaments into the season, we dumped it. That was just HS debate. It seems to me that someone as football astute as both Ferentz will not let this Spencer Petras debacle continue.

Reactions: bumper52
There really isn’t a risk, especially from a hindsight performance of yesterday. But Petras has more experience, has more wins, and doesn’t make huge mistakes (in Kirk’s mind). I personally think Spencer is mentally beaten down. I believe he has lost the respect of some of his teammates (Laporte comes to mind). There has to be much more to this then what we are seeing on the field. No coach would put up with that performance for an entire game…yet it happens again and again. I don’t get it and neither do 70,000 fans. I really wish Kirk would go out of character and be up front with the media and the fans….like that will ever happen…..lol. But when he says we have two competent QB’S, then why doesn’t he give Padilla a legitimate shot. It’s perfect timing right now. We won’t win Saturday with Spencer. He’s bound to be better, but still probably not good enough. Put Padilla in in a pressure situation. You know it’s really pretty simple: if you keep getting the same results all of the time, and you want better results……duh…..YOU HAVE TO MAKE A CHANGE!!! Padilla deserves a chance. I can’t believe he stayed.
Labas gone after this year and who could blame him

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
I literally had that though while you typing. I get the whole loyalty principle, lets the teammates know the coaches will show them loyalty. I also get why you don't give up on something you know it just won't work.

It always seemed to me that recognition of failure is important to a good coach. If something wasn't working three tournaments into the season, we dumped it. That was just HS debate. It seems to me that someone as football astute as both Ferentz will not let this Spencer Petras debacle continue.

The other question to ask is, how committed is the locker room to Spencer? That matters a great deal and can’t be completely discounted.

If Kirk is being truly honest that the locker room is wholly behind Spencer, you run the risk of losing the locker room.

Given past performance, stats, etc. I would like to understand what is the risk in starting your 2nd, 3rd or 4th string qb. I see ZERO downside, how could it get worse. So if there is any risk or downside can somebody please let me know. Only one would be don't let a freshmen qb go out there and get crushed by a shit line. But our backups are not freshmen. Please tell me the risk and what there is to lose. WHAT IS THERE TO LOSE?? Please I need to hear this from somebody that is somewhat mentally.
I believe it was 10 years ago when James Vandenberg led us to a 2 win Big 10 season as a Senior. Nothing changed that year and nothing is changing this year. I remember posters were absolutely livid on this forum for not benching him. Ferentz has a job as long as he wants it because the administration loves him.

Count me among those who has wanted to see any other qb get at least a few series as a trial. But if you scan the threads you'll find a few tortured arguments about how it's a bad thing to go with another qb until you get all of the other problems on offense fixed, particularly the o-line. I don't buy it for a second. Shrink the playbook, run wildcat half a dozen times per game, put a runner who can throw just enough and get him on the move. There are a number of possibilities. None of which will be utilized.

Count me among those who has wanted to see any other qb get at least a few series as a trial. But if you scan the threads you'll find a few tortured arguments about how it's a bad thing to go with another qb until you get all of the other problems on offense fixed, particularly the o-line. I don't buy it for a second. Shrink the playbook, run wildcat half a dozen times per game, put a runner who can throw just enough and get him on the move. There are a number of possibilities. None of which will be utilized.
I'm not a football guru by any means but our playbook from what I can tell looks like a junior high team already. How much can it shrink?

I believe it was 10 years ago when James Vandenberg led us to a 2 win Big 10 season as a Senior. Nothing changed that year and nothing is changing this year. I remember posters were absolutely livid on this forum for not benching him. Ferentz has a job as long as he wants it because the administration loves him.

Yes, the fact that overall he’s also an awfully good coach has nothing to do with him keeping a job this long.

The risk is that we lose a game we’d win with Petras.

He may truly be the best we’ve got.

Padiila may have lost yesterday.

Oh FFS! How the hell could Padilla have lost yesterday? The offense scored ZERO points. Petras threw an INT with no pressure because he decided before the ball was snapped who he was throwing to. Padilla hasn't lost a game he started. Petras did literally everything yesterday that Ferentz detests. Remember him whiffing on the snap?

If Kirk is being truly honest that the locker room is wholly behind Spencer, you run the risk of losing the locker room.
If the locker room is still wholly behind Petras, then we have the dumbest locker room in America. And I doubt that is the case.

I’m sure they like Petras the man, but they all came here to win football games.

If the locker room is still wholly behind Petras, then we have the dumbest locker room in America. And I doubt that is the case.

I’m sure they like Petras the man, but they all came here to win football games.
Spot on, these kids don't have the temperament of Mr. Miyagi. Some are pricks, some are bullies, some are well adjusted.
They are talking and joking about it and I'm sure many are pissed.
They also can't respect Ferentz at this point for not seeing the obvious and making the change.
It's basic human psychology.

And sometimes the lesser player is still a better leader.

Regardless, the point stands. Whether you agree or not, and whether or not it’s true, at this point the team very much seems to see Petras as a leader for this team.

And who knows, that may be as much be an indictment of their opinion of Padilla as well.

What I’ve heard from players on the team is Petras is the clear #1. Whether that’s the case of a practice all-American when he’s not getting hit and turning into a pumpkin in a game, I don’t know what to tell you. What I do know is if that’s true, they have horribly failed at qB recruiting.

I really don't see any changes in our offensive game. We have sh-t for offensive linemen. They need to take a few of the defensive linemen and put them on offense. Most you guys could get to Iowa's QB against the existing linemen....Start bitching more about those guys!!!!

Rewatching the game without benefit of the team’s camera work, I saw repeated instances of O lineman not knowing their assignments and not able to focus on technique. If Coach had changed QB’s that would not have changed. A new QB would likely take more chances and risk mistakes that might have cost the game - just human nature. Lots of work to be done and a QB change might help in the future, but wouldn’t have changed much for the better in this game.

Oh FFS! How the hell could Padilla have lost yesterday? The offense scored ZERO points. Petras threw an INT with no pressure because he decided before the ball was snapped who he was throwing to. Padilla hasn't lost a game he started. Petras did literally everything yesterday that Ferentz detests. Remember him whiffing on the snap?

The offense scored 3 points.

Padilla could have fumbled, thrown two pick sixes, etc.

Those of you who think I am defending Petras or the coaches are wrong: Petras is terrible.

I’m only challenging the “it can’t be worse” crowd. It most certainly can be.

I can’t believe there are actually people still making an argument for Petras and the two brainiacs responsible for this shit show.

If you think I am, you are wrong. See post immediately above.

The risk is that we lose a game we’d win with Petras.

He may truly be the best we’ve got.

Padiila may have lost yesterday.
This, and yrs down the road when the wins and losses are listed the score likely will not be shown be it a win by 1 point or 10

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
They might do better and force our $4.5M head coach tofield difficult questions and make a real decision
As always I get the questions, I truly do, BUT I can never understand why exactly we continue to have people bring up his salary? It has nothing to do with the conversation. You do realize that KF's salary(which I believe is more like 7 mil now) is probably middle of the pack in the BIG. Do you not think Iowa's coach with the success we've had AND his tenure should not be at least middle of the pack in the conference?

Reactions: sober_teacher
As always I get the questions, I truly do, BUT I can never understand why exactly we continue to have people bring up his salary? It has nothing to do with the conversation. You do realize that KF's salary(which I believe is more like 7 mil now) is probably middle of the pack in the BIG. Do you not think Iowa's coach with the success we've had AND his tenure should not be at least middle of the pack in the conference?
Or that somehow we’re the ones who are paying it.

Reactions: Cincy_Hawk
The only downside is KFs and BFs egos might take a huge hit if things get better by doing that. it might just show that the coaches in the stands were right all along Ferentz family have been vastly overpaid for years.

The only downside is KFs and BFs egos might take a huge hit if things get better by doing that. it might just show that the coaches in the stands were right all along Ferentz family have been vastly overpaid for years.
It would show no such thing. So you HONESTLY believe that we could have been a top twenty team the last decade plus, with a different coach, AND paid him way less money? Sell it on the street corner......

Reactions: NevadaHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT