ADVERTISEMENT

Can somebody tell me the risk or downside..

The only downside is KFs and BFs egos might take a huge hit if things get better by doing that. it might just show that the coaches in the stands were right all along Ferentz family have been vastly overpaid for years.
I can't help but think not pulling Petras is somehow tied in with BF being the head coaches' son

Is Petras BF's guy? Does KF think it makes BF look bad if he yanks him or something?

I cannot find another rational explanation why a clearly ineffective Petras wasn't pulled for a series or two yesterday, and especially why KF defended him in the post-game with tired crap like "he's a good kid" and "he works hard"

You can say the same about Padilla too, you know...

Given past performance, stats, etc. I would like to understand what is the risk in starting your 2nd, 3rd or 4th string qb. I see ZERO downside, how could it get worse. So if there is any risk or downside can somebody please let me know. Only one would be don't let a freshmen qb go out there and get crushed by a shit line. But our backups are not freshmen. Please tell me the risk and what there is to lose. WHAT IS THERE TO LOSE?? Please I need to hear this from somebody that is somewhat mentally sane.
Remember when JVB took all the snaps during the 2012 losing season?

Welcome to 2022 and your answer is the same then as it is now.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Given past performance, stats, etc. I would like to understand what is the risk in starting your 2nd, 3rd or 4th string qb. I see ZERO downside, how could it get worse. So if there is any risk or downside can somebody please let me know. Only one would be don't let a freshmen qb go out there and get crushed by a shit line. But our backups are not freshmen. Please tell me the risk and what there is to lose. WHAT IS THERE TO LOSE?? Please I need to hear this from somebody that is somewhat mentally sane.
the downside is kf might have to admit he's wrong

Reactions: Ronman
A loss yesterday and you probably having a stoke over it. KF did you a favor.

Let's ignore the numbers of last year's games. Padilla did nothing to evaluate his status in the games he got a start.

Petras
7 of 10 games over 50%
5 of 10 games w/ TD pass
top 2 qb rating in games
1,2,4,5,6,8,10,11,12t,14

Padilla
2 of 5 games over 50%
1 of 5 games w/ TD
bottom 2 qb rating in games
3,7,12t,15,16

The other question to ask is, how committed is the locker room to Spencer? That matters a great deal and can’t be completely discounted.

If Kirk is being truly honest that the locker room is wholly behind Spencer, you run the risk of losing the locker room.
The problem is that the game isn't played in the locker room. Iowa needs someone else behind center on the field, I don't care how nice of a guy Petras is or how many good buddies he has. It is time to move on from SP; I don't know how it could be any more clear. The kid is mentally trashed.

But if you scan the threads you'll find a few tortured arguments about how it's a bad thing to go with another qb until you get all of the other problems on offense fixed, particularly the o-line. I don't buy it for a second.
I don't either. In fact, I can't think of a WORSE idea than continuing to go with your slowest, least mobile QB on the roster when the OL is struggling, even if he is rather accurate, which SP is most certainly not.

The problem is that the game isn't played in the locker room. Iowa needs someone else behind center on the field, I don't care how nice of a guy Petras is or how many good buddies he has. It is time to move on from SP; I don't know how it could be any more clear. The kid is mentally trashed.

don’t take that as a defense of Petras. If nothing else, I thought we needed to swap in Padilla for a series or two. Just pointing out that replacing permanently a guy who is clearly popular in the locker room isn’t as easy as people might think.

for all Kirks public comments tho, I have a REALLY hard time believing conversations aren’t being had behind closed doors.

The offense scored 3 points.

Padilla could have fumbled, thrown two pick sixes, etc.

Those of you who think I am defending Petras or the coaches are wrong: Petras is terrible.

I’m only challenging the “it can’t be worse” crowd. It most certainly can be.

The offense did NOT score 3 points. They got the ball in FG position and gained 5 yards.

And sometimes the lesser player is still a better leader.

Regardless, the point stands. Whether you agree or not, and whether or not it’s true, at this point the team very much seems to see Petras as a leader for this team.

And who knows, that may be as much be an indictment of their opinion of Padilla as well.
Respectfully, I have to disagree to the extent that a team views a guy the leader that has exhibited he cannot fulfill his position (perceived leader or not). These players are competitive by nature and want to win, period.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Respectfully, I have to disagree to the extent that a team views a guy the leader that has exhibited he cannot fulfill his position (perceived leader or not). These players are competitive by nature and want to win, period.
I don't really disagree with what you're saying - just that there are a million different ways players can express their opinions about the starting quarterback...the coaches know almost all of them. I honestly don't believe they'd keep trotting out Petras at QB if the players didn't have his back.

Reactions: natchrlman
The offense did NOT score 3 points. They got the ball in FG position and gained 5 yards.
And SP basically handed SDSU the three points with his best pass of the day to the SDSU defender to put them in field goal range. What is the stat on him now? 1 passing touchdown in his last eight games? That’s beyond bad.

Michigan won the Big Ten title last year, and the QB who led them to it started the first game this season, which was a 50-something to whatever rout. But before the season began, Harbaugh announced that the No. 2 QB would start the second game of the season, and the head coach would go from there on who would play how much the rest of the way.

Stop and think about that for a second . . . and then think about how KF has handled Petras and his backup QBs.
That is all.

Practice performance and game performance are not the same. In actual games, managing the adrenaline, ad-libbing and figuring out the defense are what SP seems to struggle with.
We saw Padilla for a few games last year. He didn't seem overall better than SP, but maybe his weaknesses were not the same as SP's...maybe the look those weeks didn't keep chapping us on the already-sore spots.

A loss yesterday and you probably having a stoke over it. KF did you a favor.

Let's ignore the numbers of last year's games. Padilla did nothing to evaluate his status in the games he got a start.

Petras
7 of 10 games over 50%
5 of 10 games w/ TD pass
top 2 qb rating in games
1,2,4,5,6,8,10,11,12t,14

Padilla
2 of 5 games over 50%
1 of 5 games w/ TD
bottom 2 qb rating in games
3,7,12t,15,16
Let's look at this a little closer, using the B10 schedule when both played similar competition (for this purpose, using a minimum of 10 pass attempts in a game to count):

SP:
UM 9/22 QB rating 93
Neb 7/13 QBR 120
WI 9/19 QBR 89
PU 17/32 QBR 79
PSU 17/31 QBR 122
MD 21/30 QBR 175
SP season: 10 TD, 9 INT

AP:
UM 10/15 QBR 75
NU 6/14 QBR 89
ILL 6/17 QBR 65
MN 11/24 QBR 145
NW 18/28 QBR 116
AP season: 2 TD, 2 INT

There's not a huge or consistent difference between the two, noting that a) Padilla didn't get first team practice snaps for at least two of the above in his column, and b) was much more victimized by receiver drops in his games

In other words: nothing we saw last year indicated Padilla is hopeless as a choice to relieve Petras. He had good games (NW) and bad games (ILL), but clearly is more mobile than Petras, and improvises much better

No, he's not guaranteed to be better than Petras, but doesn't he at least deserve a shot, when Petras is playing like crap?

As always I get the questions, I truly do, BUT I can never understand why exactly we continue to have people bring up his salary? It has nothing to do with the conversation. You do realize that KF's salary(which I believe is more like 7 mil now) is probably middle of the pack in the BIG. Do you not think Iowa's coach with the success we've had AND his tenure should not be at least middle of the pack in the conference?
I remember watching a congressmen once questioning a CEO of a company that was making millions every year. When asked what he did and how he could justify that kind of paycheck, he said that all the other guys were getting paid that much. Not much logic to that.
Yes, Ferentz has had some good seasons, but even last year, the Hawkeye fans, who are not stupid recognized we had a problem with the offense. Kirk and his staff had an entire off season, including a shot at the portal, to make the improvements that were pretty obviously needed. To this point, it appears he just sat pat. That is not earning his money.

I don't really disagree with what you're saying - just that there are a million different ways players can express their opinions about the starting quarterback...the coaches know almost all of them. I honestly don't believe they'd keep trotting out Petras at QB if the players didn't have his back.
I don't think the team is a democracy. You really think the guys in the locker room could make a change in QB? This is Kirk's fiefdom. He has the final say on everything and when it comes down to it, it is only his opinion that matters.

The offense may score 3 fewer points... (that is sarcasm)

The risk is that we lose a game we’d win with Petras.

He may truly be the best we’ve got.

Padiila may have lost yesterday.
The only explanation for this comment is you are a relative of Petras, or are very easy to satisfy when watching football. Or could be a troll that's never seen Padilla, where he's 3-0 in conference games last year, let alone against any Missouri Valley conference team......geez.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Let's look at this a little closer, using the B10 schedule when both played similar competition (for this purpose, using a minimum of 10 pass attempts in a game to count):

SP:
UM 9/22 QB rating 93
Neb 7/13 QBR 120
WI 9/19 QBR 89
PU 17/32 QBR 79
PSU 17/31 QBR 122
MD 21/30 QBR 175

AP:
UM 10/15 QBR 75
NU 6/14 QBR 89
ILL 6/17 QBR 65
MN 11/24 QBR 145
NW 18/28 QBR 116

There's not a huge or consistent difference between the two, noting that a) Padilla didn't get first team practice snaps for at least two of the above in his column, and b) was much more victimized by receiver drops in his games

In other words: nothing we saw last year indicated Padilla is hopeless as a choice to relieve Petras. He had good games (NW) and bad games (ILL), but clearly is more mobile than Petras, and improvises much better

No, he's not guaranteed to be better than Petras, but doesn't he at least deserve a shot, when Petras is playing like crap?
How do you explain Padilla was never remotely close to 1.1 QBR? Keep reaching for the distant past defending Petras, cause it's all you got given the immediate past of consistent underperformance with #7.

I don't think the team is a democracy. You really think the guys in the locker room could make a change in QB? This is Kirk's fiefdom. He has the final say on everything and when it comes down to it, it is only his opinion that matters.

Of course it’s not a democracy. But that’s not the same thing as saying plays don’t have a voice.

I feel confident saying that if the players didn’t stand behind Petras, he wouldn’t be starting, period.

How do you explain Padilla was never remotely close to 1.1 QBR? Keep reaching for the distant past defending Petras, cause it's all you got given the immediate past of consistent underperformance with #7.
I don't think you read my post all the way through, because I am strongly in favor of Padilla getting another chance

I was responding to a guy who was defending Petras by pointing out stats from last year, with my post being a rebuttal to that: Petras was only a little better stat-wise in 2021, but the upside for Padilla and intangibles like pocket presence and escapability are clearly in Padilla's favor, noting how bad the OL was Saturday

But yeah, any way you look at it, Petras' performance Saturday was the worst by an Iowa QB since....I don't even know when. Jason Manson vs Syracuse, maybe?? I don't see how anyone can defend him at this point

Michigan won the Big Ten title last year, and the QB who led them to it started the first game this season, which was a 50-something to whatever rout. But before the season began, Harbaugh announced that the No. 2 QB would start the second game of the season, and the head coach would go from there on who would play how much the rest of the way.

Stop and think about that for a second . . . and then think about how KF has handled Petras and his backup QBs.
That is all.
Abide The Dude GIF

I don't think you read my post all the way through, because I am strongly in favor of Padilla getting another chance

I was responding to a guy who was defending Petras by pointing out stats from last year, with my post being a rebuttal to that: Petras was only a little better stat-wise in 2021, but the upside for Padilla and intangibles like pocket presence and escapability are clearly in Padilla's favor, noting how bad the OL was Saturday

But yeah, any way you look at it, Petras' performance Saturday was the worst by an Iowa QB since....I don't even know when. Jason Manson vs Syracuse, maybe?? I don't see how anyone can defend him at this point
My bad….skimmed it way too quickly…. I actually have supreme confidence that Padilla wouldn’t be the reason, if we happened to play subpar and lose to a justifiable better team.

The ones who dismiss Padilla shows their lack of football IQ since they don't factor in the experience advantage Petras has with being a 3 year starter getting number 1 reps. Padilla has higher upside due to the lack of experience and ability to buy a little time with his feet. You could make a fair counter to that statement using the lack of development by our qb's with these coaches. Padilla may be better now without having the direct coaching of Brian Ferentz stunting his development.
In the end it all comes down to Brian and KF doing Petras, the team, and the fans a disservice by not making a switch in the 2nd quarter when it was clear we were seeing last years bad Petras. I feel bad the coaches put Petras in this position, and wouldn't be surprised if he transferred his last year and had success under a different staff. The coaches have turned him into a robot.

The ones who dismiss Padilla shows their lack of football IQ since they don't factor in the experience advantage Petras has with being a 3 year starter getting number 1 reps. Padilla has higher upside due to the lack of experience and ability to buy a little time with his feet. You could make a fair counter to that statement using the lack of development by our qb's with these coaches. Padilla may be better now without having the direct coaching of Brian Ferentz stunting his development.
In the end it all comes down to Brian and KF doing Petras, the team, and the fans a disservice by not making a switch in the 2nd quarter when it was clear we were seeing last years bad Petras. I feel bad the coaches put Petras in this position, and wouldn't be surprised if he transferred his last year and had success under a different staff. The coaches have turned him into a robot.
You’re right, and I would wish Petras luck with a different staff and team…

Reactions: hoythawk
I remember watching a congressmen once questioning a CEO of a company that was making millions every year. When asked what he did and how he could justify that kind of paycheck, he said that all the other guys were getting paid that much. Not much logic to that.
Yes, Ferentz has had some good seasons, but even last year, the Hawkeye fans, who are not stupid recognized we had a problem with the offense. Kirk and his staff had an entire off season, including a shot at the portal, to make the improvements that were pretty obviously needed. To this point, it appears he just sat pat. That is not earning his money.
Fine then. Whats your resolution to his pay? Start paying him after the season based on results only? Just him, not ANY other coach in football, just the Iowa coach from now on? Not the other 110 FBS coaches who finished with worse records then Iowa, just KF? He, (like all the coaches has an agent, and a contract. Thats not how it works, and its not ever going to work like that. Do you believe that when we hire the next coach, thats how his pay will be set up?

He is paid based on how his peers get paid in the industry he works in. My point is pretty simple. Thats just the way it is. Complaining about, or constantly bringing up his salary will NEVER make one bit of difference in how any of these coaches get paid. Its moot.......

Since there are a few people still making excuses on behalf of Petras I’d like to make a few on behalf of Padilla.

The same garbage OL that people like to use as an excuse to defend Petras is the same one Padilla played behind.

I saw a lot of WR drops when Padilla played. Not the Petras made a terrible throw and they had to dive kind of drops. The hit them in the hands kind of drops.

I saw the coaches get even more conservative with play calling (as hard as that is to do) when Padilla was playing with a lead.

Padilla showed the ability to at least give you a chance when the protection breaks down while Petras most certainly cannot.

Kirk showed how willing he was to pull Padilla when he wasn’t playing well and it appeared to work (with a lot of help from Nebraska), but won’t do the same to Petras when he is in the middle of an all time worst performance.

Since there are a few people still making excuses on behalf of Petras I’d like to make a few on behalf of Padilla.

The same garbage OL that people like to use as an excuse to defend Petras is the same one Padilla played behind.

I saw a lot of WR drops when Padilla played. Not the Petras made a terrible throw and they had to dive kind of drops. The hit them in the hands kind of drops.

I saw the coaches get even more conservative with play calling (as hard as that is to do) when Padilla was playing with a lead.

Padilla showed the ability to at least give you a chance when the protection breaks down while Petras most certainly cannot.

Kirk showed how willing he was to pull Padilla when he wasn’t playing well and it appeared to work (with a lot of help from Nebraska), but won’t do the same to Petras when he is in the middle of an all time worst performance.

Who’s been defending Petras?

Reactions: Hawk_4shur

SP:
UM 9/22 QB rating 93
Neb 7/13 QBR 120
WI 9/19 QBR 89
PU 17/32 QBR 79
PSU 17/31 QBR 122
MD 21/30 QBR 175

AP:
UM 10/15 QBR 75
NU 6/14 QBR 89
ILL 6/17 QBR 65
MN 11/24 QBR 145
NW 18/28 QBR 116

He was sacked more and it's not even a coin flip, 50/50, chance that he can complete a pass. That is sad. God I wish one would step up.

What makes this all the more disappointing is that now, even if a change is made due to this near record breaking horrible start, is that Alex Padilla or whomever would take over is going to be horribly behind due to not taking any first team reps in practice all camp, and they'll probably be a lot more limited in the playbook too.

Reactions: iowaflash
He was sacked more and it's not even a coin flip, 50/50, chance that he can complete a pass. That is sad. God I wish one would step up.

Padilla wasn’t sacked more. Not on the season nor in the games listed that you responded to.

IU:
Petras - 2 sacks
Padilla - 0 sacks

Iowa State:
Petras - 4 sacks
Padilla - DNP

Kent State:
Petras - 0 sacks
Padilla- DNP

CSU:
Petras - 3 sacks
Padilla - DNP

Maryland:
Petras - 2 sacks
Padilla - 0 sacks

PSU:
Petras - 3 sacks
Padilla - DNP

Purdue:
Petras - 4 sacks
Padilla - DNP

Wisconsin:
Petras - 5 sacks
Padilla - 1 sack

Northwestern:
Petras - 0 sacks
Padilla - 2 sacks

Minnesota:
Petras - DNP
Padilla - 0 sacks

Illinois:
Petras - DNP
Padilla - 2 sacks

Nebraska:
Petras - 0 sacks
Padilla - 2 sacks

Michigan:
Petras - 1 sack
Padilla - 0 sacks

Kentucky:
Petras - 0 sacks
Padilla - DNP

Petras was sacked 24 times on the season and 15 times in the 6 games he listed.

Padilla was sacked 7 times on the season and 6 times in the 5 games he listed.

So, Padilla wasn’t sacked more than Petras was.

This is how dumb they are- Brian to OC will guarantee that iowa fans will NEVER want him as a head coach. Just the oppose of their plan. If we are getting an offensive shitshow- let it be with a freshman that “might” get better

Petra’s threw 3 touchdowns against Maryland & 2 against PSU, just saying.

It comes down to pressure in pocket which varies game to game. If Petras has clean pocket and not getting hit, he's maybe a 60% passer and occasionally has a good game. If Iowa had a decent run game, then play actions and boots would work better and it would be easier to be Iowa QB.

Padillo gets rid of the ball qucker and throws on the run better, so he's a better fit in games where pressure is getting to QB.

I personally would go with Padillo and bring Labas (or even Carson) in off bench. If they all suck, bring Petras off the bench. Petras has responded well off the bench. He looked kind of shell shocked on the bench vs SDSU. A benching takes the pressure off him and really is the kind thing to do, vs trotting him out there for boos on every bad pass he throws. Petras has probably figured out he's not NFL material by now.

Padilla wasn’t sacked more. Not on the season nor in the games listed that you responded to.

IU:
Petras - 2 sacks
Padilla - 0 sacks

Iowa State:
Petras - 4 sacks
Padilla - DNP

Kent State:
Petras - 0 sacks
Padilla- DNP

CSU:
Petras - 3 sacks
Padilla - DNP

Maryland:
Petras - 2 sacks
Padilla - 0 sacks

PSU:
Petras - 3 sacks
Padilla - DNP

Purdue:
Petras - 4 sacks
Padilla - DNP

Wisconsin:
Petras - 5 sacks
Padilla - 1 sack

Northwestern:
Petras - 0 sacks
Padilla - 2 sacks

Minnesota:
Petras - DNP
Padilla - 0 sacks

Illinois:
Petras - DNP
Padilla - 2 sacks

Nebraska:
Petras - 0 sacks
Padilla - 2 sacks

Michigan:
Petras - 1 sack
Padilla - 0 sacks

Kentucky:
Petras - 0 sacks
Padilla - DNP

Petras was sacked 24 times on the season and 15 times in the 6 games he listed.

Padilla was sacked 7 times on the season and 6 times in the 5 games he listed.

So, Padilla wasn’t sacked more than Petras was.
I knew I could get you to look it up for me. Thanks 😊

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT