ADVERTISEMENT

Can somebody tell me the risk or downside..

Since there are a few people still making excuses on behalf of Petras I’d like to make a few on behalf of Padilla.

The same garbage OL that people like to use as an excuse to defend Petras is the same one Padilla played behind.

I saw a lot of WR drops when Padilla played. Not the Petras made a terrible throw and they had to dive kind of drops. The hit them in the hands kind of drops.

I saw the coaches get even more conservative with play calling (as hard as that is to do) when Padilla was playing with a lead.

Padilla showed the ability to at least give you a chance when the protection breaks down while Petras most certainly cannot.

Kirk showed how willing he was to pull Padilla when he wasn’t playing well and it appeared to work (with a lot of help from Nebraska), but won’t do the same to Petras when he is in the middle of an all time worst performance.
I don't remember all of the games but do recall a wide receiver dropping an easy TD from Padilla on what seemed like a 10 or 15 yard pass. Padilla was a breath of fresh air. He came out with no experience and immediately made a couple of plays Petras can't make. I would be fine with Labas getting some game reps also. Give all 3 guys a couple of series and go with the hot hand if you're too stubborn to pull the one guy whose had 3 years to show he's the guy. Padilla also didn't get the chance for tune up games against horrible teams early season. It's amazing some idiots keep trying to compare the two as if they have had an equal path to their starts.

I don't remember all of the games but do recall a wide receiver dropping an easy TD from Padilla on what seemed like a 10 or 15 yard pass. Padilla was a breath of fresh air. He came out with no experience and immediately made a couple of plays Petras can't make. I would be fine with Labas getting some game reps also. Give all 3 guys a couple of series and go with the hot hand if you're too stubborn to pull the one guy whose had 3 years to show he's the guy. Padilla also didn't get the chance for tune up games against horrible teams early season. It's amazing some idiots keep trying to compare the two as if they have had an equal path to their starts.
I think running all 3 QB's out there would be a horrific idea and we would see worse than what we saw last weekend. I get back to the answer that is the most likely, and the worst one. That the offense is just that bad. That falls on the coaches, as they have recruited the roster and implemented the scheme.

Padilla in his extensive playing time against Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota and Nebraska went 41 of 83 (less than 50%), for 537 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT. I won't count his game against Michigan as that was an unfair situation to judge him on. Yes, he didn't get to play against Colorado State and Kent State, but he also didn't have to play against PSU and ISU, who had good defenses.

If the passing game doesn't improve, the staff will have no choice but to try other options at QB. I get to the point again, the biggest problem is that the guy by all accounts performing the best in practice is Petras. That means you just don't have any good options.

Reactions: Cincy_Hawk
I think running all 3 QB's out there would be a horrific idea and we would see worse than what we saw last weekend. I get back to the answer that is the most likely, and the worst one. That the offense is just that bad. That falls on the coaches, as they have recruited the roster and implemented the scheme.

Padilla in his extensive playing time against Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota and Nebraska went 41 of 83 (less than 50%), for 537 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT. I won't count his game against Michigan as that was an unfair situation to judge him on. Yes, he didn't get to play against Colorado State and Kent State, but he also didn't have to play against PSU and ISU, who had good defenses.

If the passing game doesn't improve, the staff will have no choice but to try other options at QB. I get to the point again, the biggest problem is that the guy by all accounts performing the best in practice is Petras. That means you just don't have any good options.
Ironic that you don't count the Michigan game, as Padilla went 10/15, which puts him OVER 50%, 51/96 for the year.

No, he wasn't great, but has 1/5 the experience of our current disaster qb, and more room for growth, and should be given the chance to show it.

Given past performance, stats, etc. I would like to understand what is the risk in starting your 2nd, 3rd or 4th string qb. I see ZERO downside, how could it get worse. So if there is any risk or downside can somebody please let me know. Only one would be don't let a freshmen qb go out there and get crushed by a shit line. But our backups are not freshmen. Please tell me the risk and what there is to lose. WHAT IS THERE TO LOSE?? Please I need to hear this from somebody that is somewhat mentally sane.
With a bad o-line the risk would be pretty huge. Instead of 1 int, you may be looking at 3-4.

Padilla also had a 16% drop rate. Likely due to his lack of time with the 1's. Petras drop rate was only 6%. It's crazy to me that some of you morons still think the other 2 guys could do worse.

Reactions: gohawkz
These are Alex's correct stats for the season and includes the Michigan game. He played most garbage time against Michigan's bench.

Everyone saw what they saw. A wildly inaccurate QB who became more wild the closer Iowa got to the end zone. Sadly, Alex's terrible play last season is less terrible that Spencer's play in 2022. I'd prefer something new but would at least be hopeful if Alex starts next week.

ADVERTISEMENT