ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone tell me why…….

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
The University of Massachusetts Amherst needs a 28-story library that is the tallest in the world? 🤔

DU%20Bois%20Library.jpg

Been there numerous times. It's actually a cool building and a nice campus. Amherst and Northampton in particular are great little NE towns.

Reactions: ping72
The larger question is: do we really need giant buildings full of physical books in the digital age?

The University of Massachusetts Amherst needs a 28-story library that is the tallest in the world? 🤔

DU%20Bois%20Library.jpg
OP writes for a living. Throwing shade on a building dedicated to housing....works of professional writers. Can't make this stuff up
;)

Reactions: lucas80
28 stories. 28 genres. Coincidence?

1. Action and Adventure
  2. Anthology
  3. Classic
  4. Comic and Graphic Novel
  5. Crime and Detective
  6. Drama
  7. Fable
  8. Fairy Tale
  9. Fan-Fiction
  10. Fantasy
  11. Historical Fiction
  12. Horror
  13. Humor
  14. Legend
  15. Magical Realism
  16. Mystery
  17. Mythology
  18. Romance
  19. Satire
  20. Science Fiction (Sci-Fi)
  21. Short Story
  22. Suspense/Thriller
  23. Biography/Autobiography/Memoir
  24. Essay
  25. Narrative Nonfiction
  26. Periodicals
  27. Reference/Self-help Book
  28. Poetry

Reactions: torbee
Shortage of real estate footprint?

That's usually why people build tall buildings.
That's not really a good idea for a library though. Books are heavy and concentrating all that weight in one place really probably complicated the engineering of the building.

The larger question is: do we really need giant buildings full of physical books in the digital age?
Because not every book has been digitized and books can't be erased by a power failure. I'm not saying all libraries need to have actual books, but some do. University libraries, where most of our research is done, are the logical places to keep actual books on hand.

Because not every book has been digitized and books can't be erased by a power failure. I'm not saying all libraries need to have actual books, but some do. University libraries, where most of our research is done, are the logical places to keep actual books on hand.

Physical books can be erased by a fire.

There's no excuse for not having everything digitized at this point, except for historical stuff.

Watching grad students drag in dozens and dozens of books to re-check them out, thus precluding others from using them, makes me think digital versions offer superiority overall.

/Strozier ‘96-‘97

Physical books can be erased by a fire.

There's no excuse for not having everything digitized at this point, except for historical stuff.
Which is why you have them in more than one place. And you don't think books are historical?

Also, on the topic of strange buildings...why does Oral Roberts have this monstrosity?

7bea0e4cc899c3a691a073e53f21af3e.jpg

Also, on the topic of strange buildings...why does Oral Roberts have this monstrosity?

7bea0e4cc899c3a691a073e53f21af3e.jpg

That was Pastor Oral Roberts' direct sat link antenna connection to the Most Holy. It was rendered inoperative when God cut the cord after having tired of Oral's rampant fraud, graft and hypocrisy.

Reactions: GOHOX69
It appears that all of the floors are being used for legitimate library uses/functions;

Ten floors of Book Stacks, and then lots of meeting, study, office, and research space. There are a number of fancy bathrooms, a cafe, and some areas set aside for special collections as well.

People leave lots of stuff to universities and my guess is that this winds up being managed by the university libraries; artwork, writings, museum type collections and so on. I presume that a huge amount of endowment money is behind this stuff.

There was a thread on HROT a few months back discussing careers in Library Science and Museum Curation. It turned out that libraries are kind of happening places since people get rich, accumulate stuff, and then want to have it preserved for all time. They then create endowments and leave their stuff to foundations, universities and so on.

A listing of their collections:

Last edited:
Reactions: torbee
It appears that all of the floors are being used for legitimate library uses/functions;

Ten floors of Book Stacks, and then lots of meeting, study, office space, and research space. There are a number of fancy bathrooms, a cafe, and some areas set aside for special collections as well.

People leave lots of stuff to universities and my guess is that this winds up being managed by the university libraries; artwork, writings, museum type collections and so on. I presume that a huge amount of endowment money is behind this stuff.

There was a thread on HROT a few months back discussing careers in Library Science and Museum Curation. It turned out that libraries are kind of happening places since people get rich, accumulate stuff, and then want to have it preserved for all time.

This particular library even has some benefactor's name attached.

I love a big library, don't get me wrong. I'm not even saying UMASS-Amherst shouldn't have a gargantuan, Taj Mahal of a library that is taller than any building in the entire state of Iowa. I'm just saying it's WEIRD! :)

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT