ADVERTISEMENT

Can the PGA survive LIV?

INXS83

HR Legend
Jul 5, 2003
Just reading that new sensation Cameron Smith, Bubba Watson, Adam Scott, Matsuyama and Stenson may soon be taking the big payday and joining LIV. Is this a Borg-like scenario for the PGA, where resistance is futile due to prospects of generational life-changing money up front?

Smith and Matsuyama are tough because they hit at the PGA Tour’s brand, which is the best golfers in the world. Adam Scott and Bubba are big names, but aren’t top 20 players.

The LIV tour doesn’t seem to know what it wants to be. I get why they’re on the verge of firing Greg Norman. There’s no direction there.

1. Recruit big names
2. ?
3. Profit

Dang it... I like Stenson and Cam Smith. No problem with the other guys but Scott isn't going to be in contention. This is getting to be a big problem for the PGA.
I can see the reasoning for Stenson and Scott. Older guys who can't consistently compete with the young guns or win majors anymore.

Has Zach Johnson made any statements about his future?

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
You have to admit it's concerning when a young star like Cam Smith says "see 'ya".
I understand it for someone as new as he is. There’s always the risk of going David Duval or Martin Kaymer.

The 54 hold, shotgun start, no cut line,…there’s a lot of the LIV Tour format that is gimmicky to me. Players are jumping for money, which I get, and probably the part of it that might cause the most change on the Tour, especially base pay for players regardless of how they finish.

Long term, I suppose it’s most likely there’s some sort of partnership between the two, with LIV events scattered thru the PGA schedule.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
The 54 hold, shotgun start, no cut line,…there’s a lot of the LIV Tour format that is gimmicky to me. Players are jumping for money, which I get, and probably the part of it that might cause the most change on the Tour, especially base pay for players regardless of how they finish.

Long term, I suppose it’s most likely there’s some sort of partnership between the two, with LIV events scattered thru the PGA schedule.
Tiger was dead on with the base pay analysis. Why practice if you’re Brooks Koepka? You’re probably not going to win, and they paid you nine figures in base pay. Why give up a big part of your life in the hopes of being competitive?

This is what they should’ve done at the outset. I think Monahan really screwed up with the hard line approach. Now he has to deal with a monster.

As to longevity, LIV only exists because of piles and piles of Saudi cash. That’s it. If that dries up there is no LIV.

Of course the PGA Tour will survive. The next hammer to fall is when the LIV players get left out of Major tournaments. If you don't think the Masters will side with the PGA Tour then i believe you're wrong.

Funny how it's all about playing less and spending more time with family.. Now the LIV players talk about traveling to Asia to earn World ranking points. Look at the personalities on the LIV tour. for the most part unlikeable over the hill has beens.

Garcia, Mickelson, Reed, Perez, Dechambeau, Koepka. All with pesonalities that are abrasive. Dustin Johnson doesn't exactly have a charming personality. Most true golf fans don't care about watching these guys anyway. Where do you think most of the ratings in golf come from?

Tiger was dead on with the base pay analysis. Why practice if you’re Brooks Koepka? You’re probably not going to win, and they paid you nine figures in base pay. Why give up a big part of your life in the hopes of being competitive?

Depends on what that base pay is. A basic appearance, that covers most of your travel expenses? I’m on board with that, and I don’t see that impacting the competitiveness.

I see the point if it was like $50k just to show up.

Reactions: Finance85
Depends on what that base pay is. A basic appearance, that covers most of your travel expenses? I’m on board with that, and I don’t see that impacting the competitiveness.

I see the point if it was like $50k just to show up.
Last place in a LIV event pays $120k

There is a large number of players on the PGA Tour that play that are not going to win. 200 members and they stretch to fill fields, like this week for example. One of the reasons they are going to limit the FedEx Cup from 125 and maybe add money events.

The money is less on the PGA Tour than LIV, but, it is is basically professional golfers playing for money

Thanks for checking in, Debbie Downer.
Exactly the opposite. The entire thing is nothing. Three freaking letter change and that is a reason to shit pants?

roflamo.

oh my god they use to call it pga now it’s called LIV. Jesus the humanity.

If you think the pga is where the best players play than everybody on pga is better than anybody on LIV tour? If you are just going to make up stuff at least admit it.

Exactly the opposite. The entire thing is nothing. Three freaking letter change and that is a reason to shit pants?

roflamo.

If you think the pga is where the best players play than everybody on pga is better than anybody on LIV tour? If you are just going to make up stuff at least admit it.
You don’t actually think it’s the same organization with a new name, do you?

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Does it matter? If there ends up being only one league, which ever that might be,
Not ultimately, but we are debating the merits of which league should win out.

So I’m not sure what your point is.

The reason people have strong feelings about it is they have picked sides. So yeah, to them it DOES matter.

Not ultimately, but we are debating the merits of which league should win out.

So I’m not sure what your point is.

The reason people have strong feelings about it is they have picked sides. So yeah, to them it DOES matter.
I’d like the PGA to win, Norman penniless and hated and yelling at the sky and MBS buried six feet under in multiple pieces.

Now, is that too much to ask?

Huh. Thought he was MAGA through and through?

The number of Trump supporters that aren’t desecrations are really starting to add up. So far we got Ray Epps and Zach Johnson.
You can be stupid and have integrity. A rare combo, but it does happen! 🙂

roflamo.

I'm assuming you don't watch golf and know very little about it.

Your replies seem to show your lack of knowledge in the sport of golf.

Stinson, Watson and Smith… Smith has the most upside but many of the LIV golfers are yesterday’s news. Can’t blame them for the jump to “instant$$$” but legacy-wise, unless there is a serious rewrite of history, this is not a smart move.
Like pulling your hand out of a bucket of water… a few ripples initially but a minute later, no knows where the hand was.

Reactions: Finance85
I'm assuming you don't watch golf and know very little about it.

Your replies seem to show your lack of knowledge in the sport of golf.
I assume if the pga folds everybody will watch LIV or maybe the WNBA will get a big boost.

keep it simple. Because it is.

I think the Saudis will get bored and move on to something else. There economic model isn’t self supporting.

Saudi's might decide to dump money into Formula one.

I dont think they care. Heard on a podcast the other day that the amount of $$$ Saudi has put into LIV so far amounts to about 3 days of oil production

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT