ADVERTISEMENT

Can the PGA survive LIV?

NINTCHDBPICT0004777086082-1.jpg
I was gonna go with more of a yoda path.

but either way if there is one thing I have learned from 30+ years in dc, it is to NEVER look at any politician from too close a distance.

Last edited:
The LIV model as I have been told is to sign huge guys for upfront guaranteed money and then only have 7-8 events a year.

I am a fan of the PGA model but it is obviously a grind week in and week out along with no guaranteed money, so I understand why it is a tough choice. The PGA has upped its prize money going forward as a sign that they are willing to compete to a degree.

With this and NIL in college sports, I'm not sure what to make of it yet. Could be a blessing, could be the end of things.

As I've said in other threads about this, most people watch tournaments not individual players. Whoever wants to leave can GTFO and if they're not at the Masters or any other big tournament next year then I won't care and won't miss them. So far nearly all of the recognizable names to most are arrogant assholes anyways, or guys who are in the twilight of their careers. Or both...

I just read an article where they're scheming to flood the Asian tour events in off weeks to still be able to earn world rankings points. They left actual competitive tournament golf for the guaranteed payday. They knew what was going to happen. I hope the Masters committee tells these guys to pound sand next year, and the other major governing bodies are able to then follow that precedent. These players chose big guaranteed money of an exhibition series over the essence of tournament golf. They don't need to be provided an opportunity to continue with both.
I agree but the PGA needs to get together with the other majors and exclude any LIV golfers...that might be their biggest bargaining chip they have. Currently, Masters, US Open, and The OPEN are not affiliated with the PGA tour. The only major that is affiliated is the PGA Championship.

I look at it kind of like the Notre Dame and the Big10. Once the latest round of realignment ends with ND staying independent, BIG10 and SEC should refuse to schedule them ever again until they join. No games ever against, MICH, OSU, BAMA, GA, USC, etc. Force the hand to a degree.

These golfers joined LIV claiming it will give them more family time. LOL, LIV now saying the are going up to 25 events. On top of that, in order to keep up in the world rankings LIV players need to go get points on the Asian Tour (conveniently purchased by the Saudis). So much for the deal they made with LIV to play less golf and more family time. Reminds me of this and the character pretty much personifies LIV.

i-am-altering-the-deal-pray-i-dont-alter-it-any-52668633.png
That line was said to Lando by Darth Vader.

I agree but the PGA needs to get together with the other majors and exclude any LIV golfers...that might be their biggest bargaining chip they have. Currently, Masters, US Open, and The OPEN are not affiliated with the PGA tour. The only major that is affiliated is the PGA Championship.

I look at it kind of like the Notre Dame and the Big10. Once the latest round of realignment ends with ND staying independent, BIG10 and SEC should refuse to schedule them ever again until they join. No games ever against, MICH, OSU, BAMA, GA, USC, etc. Force the hand to a degree.
I suggest everyone involved in the LIV/PGA battle zit down and listed to Bob Dylan sing, "The Times They Are A Changin'"......because they are.........As long as humans are involved, money and sex will always be the primary mover of societal attitudes. Christian/Western driven Morals and ethics died back in the early 60's........And as long as "evangelical Christianity" is the messenger of what is right/wrong.......money and sex will win out far more oft than not.

Reactions: beanerhawk
I suggest everyone involved in the LIV/PGA battle zit down and listed to Bob Dylan sing, "The Times They Are A Changin'"......because they are.........As long as humans are involved, money and sex will always be the primary mover of societal attitudes. Christian/Western driven Morals and ethics died back in the early 60's........And as long as "evangelical Christianity" is the messenger of what is right/wrong.......money and sex will win out far more oft than not.

giphy.gif

Why would the majors want to cut their own throat by excluding some of the big names?

most of the time golfers get zero if they don’t make the cut. Maybe the PGA needs to have a guaranteed salary for card holders. The sponsors can up the money and cut back on their masturbating vip tents.

Why would the majors want to cut their own throat by excluding some of the big names?

most of the time golfers get zero if they don’t make the cut. Maybe the PGA needs to have a guaranteed salary for card holders. The sponsors can up the money and cut back on their masturbating vip tents.
Because the big names are still on the PGA Tour. NO one is going to miss 90% of the washed up over the hill players taking the blood money.

Because the big names are still on the PGA Tour. NO one is going to miss 90% of the washed up over the hill players taking the blood money.
It would be hilarious if Cam Smith came in and started beating those guys by 20 strokes over three rounds.

It would be hilarious if Cam Smith came in and started beating those guys by 20 strokes over three rounds.
These are glorified exhibitions. The players taking the money shouldn't be surprising to anyone. Stenson surprised me and Koepka did also. I thought Koepka was more competitive than that. The rest of them not surprised one bit and not unhappy to not have to watch them play anymore.

Reactions: mnole03
Cam Young looks like the next big thing. PGA Tour still doing what they do.

LIV leaderboard isn’t even available on the ESPN app.

These are glorified exhibitions. The players taking the money shouldn't be surprising to anyone. Stenson surprised me and Koepka did also. I thought Koepka was more competitive than that. The rest of them not surprised one bit and not unhappy to not have to watch them play anymore.
I don’t blame Koepka one bit. He knows what his injury situation is. I doubt he ever gets back to where he was five years ago, and this is life changing money. Don’t expect him to practice, though.

Reactions: Jcchawk
I think Koepka had that fire but then had some injuries and seemed to become more interested in social media and trolling Bryson and his “actress” wife than competing in golf.

These golfers joined LIV claiming it will give them more family time. LOL, LIV now saying the are going up to 25 events. On top of that, in order to keep up in the world rankings LIV players need to go get points on the Asian Tour (conveniently purchased by the Saudis). So much for the deal they made with LIV to play less golf and more family time. Reminds me of this and the character pretty much personifies LIV.

i-am-altering-the-deal-pray-i-dont-alter-it-any-52668633.png
Think it would be ok for me to say this, per verbatim, at a garage sale I am hosting?

Kudos for Abraham Ancer not even trying on the LIV tour. Guy was a top 20 player and has so far turned in two dog shit performances.

73 scoring average through two tournaments. Up 2.1 strokes from his average on the PGA Tour.

This is bad golf.

Last edited:
I still can't believe some people brush off the Saudis and 9/11 so quickly.

These people are dogshit. I will openly root against anyone who sells their souls for a payday from these people. They should have to cash their checks while looking at the relatives who lost love ones directly in the eye.

I hope the LIV crashes and burns, but money talks.
If Brenden Grace or Henrick Stenson won a PGA Tour event in 2022, I’d assume the field was just awful.

A lot of what makes the PGA Tour fun is watching guys develop. Will Cam Young and Theegala take the next step? Will Tony Finau reach the top?

If Brenden Grace or Henrick Stenson won a PGA Tour event in 2022, I’d assume the field was just awful.

A lot of what makes the PGA Tour fun is watching guys develop. Will Cam Young and Theegala take the next step? Will Tony Finau reach the top?
I was disappointed to hear Rick Reilly on CNN saying LIV has gotten a ton of fantastic golfers at the top of the pack on the PGA Tour. He knows better than that. Some big names? Yes. Are most of those big names’ best days behind them? Also yes.

I still can't believe some people brush off the Saudis and 9/11 so quickly.

These people are dogshit. I will openly root against anyone who sells their souls for a payday from these people. They should have to cash their checks while looking at the relatives who lost love ones directly in the eye.
But but China?

Should probably be punishable by beheading.

JFC , that is not how you make a point torbee..This should be old-school stoning but because it is about golf the stoners ( not the people that eat dope or smoke ) throw Top Flights , or whatever crap ball the poors play in Saudi Arabia,..

wait, Shark Tank Arabia idea
We let the poors hit range balls at the infidels who yell, boom Top Golf SA is a billion-dollar idea

• Haha
Reactions: torbee
Curiosity got the best of me and I watched a few min of the final round just now. No joke…looks like there are maybe 75-100 people with the leader group. I suppose they could be spread around with the shotgun start format but even on the wide angles there are just a handful of people.

The only thing keeping this alive will be piles and piles of Saudi cash.

Reactions: littlez
Curiosity got the best of me and I watched a few min of the final round just now. No joke…looks like there are maybe 75-100 people with the leader group. I suppose they could be spread around with the shotgun start format but even on the wide angles there are just a handful of people.

The only thing keeping this alive will be piles and piles of Saudi cash.

tickets were $1 on StubHub

With this and NIL in college sports, I'm not sure what to make of it yet. Could be a blessing, could be the end of things.

The amount of money wrapped up in all sports has all but caused me to stop watching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT