ADVERTISEMENT

Can the PGA survive LIV?

So now the messy part begins. KLayman is a serial litigator who has a habit of hanging around. It’ll be a clown show.

Didn’t know he had his license back from the last suspension. He actually had a couple good results back in the day, but lately, he’s a shit show.

Reactions: Aardvark86
Now it appears LIV is willing to take the long road but how do you survive with no sponsors, no TV and massive payouts. Over/under this last 2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: onlyTheObvious
Now it appears LIV is willing to take the long rout but how do you survive with no sponsors, no TV and massive payouts. Over/under this last 2 years.
Money isn’t the issue for LIV.

More a question if they can lure enough young golfers to sustain their tour as the old guns age out.

at the moment, you can argue they don’t really have any of the up and comers.

Money isn’t the issue for LIV.

More a question if they can lure enough young golfers to sustain their tour as the old guns age out.

at the moment, you can argue they don’t really have any of the up and comers.
Nope, they grabbed the players who are on the backside of their careers looking for a cash grab. Even still the Saudis won't continue to dump money in this if there isn't a solid return on their investment. They need an inroad to cash to start supporting this and I don't see where they will start to get their revenue. when fans are willing to boycott watching you, you are essentially screwed of getting any TV deal. Good Luck to LIV but your business model is D.O.A.

Last edited:
Nope, they grabbed the players who are on the backside of their careers looking for a cash grab. Even still the Saudis won't continue to dump money in this if there is a solid return on their investment. They need an inroad to cash to start supporting this and I don't see where they will start to get their revenue. when fans are willing to boycott watching you, you are essentially screwed of getting any TV deal. Good Luck to LIV but your business model is D.O.A.

At least for the near future money isn’t an issue, this is entirely funded based on Saudi oil.

I agree they seem unlikely in the long run to gain enough funding from sponsors and tv deals to replace the oil $$$, but that’s not in any danger of running out tho.

Reactions: littlez
At least for the near future money isn’t an issue, this is entirely funded based on Saudi oil.

I agree they seem unlikely in the long run to gain enough funding from sponsors and tv deals to replace the oil $$$, but that’s not in any danger of running out tho.
I agree if they want to throw their oil money at this they can. How long they are willing to throw their money at this is the question. They thought/think they can make money on this by essentially killing the PGA. Right now the PGA even with a reduced player pool looks like they are going to win this battle.

Excellent LIV coverage here:

The “LGB” chants told me what I needed to know about who is actually paying attention to LIV. The douchey golfer bro/Kid Rock crowd.

The 9/11 comment didn’t get enough media air time. That’s some serious BS to throw out there publicly, even for Trump.

The “LGB” chants told me what I needed to know about who is actually paying attention to LIV. The douchey golfer bro/Kid Rock crowd.

The 9/11 comment didn’t get enough media air time. That’s some serious BS to throw out there publicly, even for Trump.
Of all the things he’s tweeted/said, this should’ve been top 3 in coverage time. Unreal.

I don't see LIV lasting simply because the business plan is faulty. It is predicated on throwing gobs of money at golfers that is unsustainable. By unsustainable I mean that, sure, the Saudis have the money to keep throwing at this but at some point human nature kicks in and an ROI is expected, or at least you tire of throwing money into a pit. The current contracts thrown out by LIV are not based on any economics and are artificial. Even if LIV gains sponsors, TV contracts, completely takes out the PGA, and becomes self-sustaining, the game of golf does not generate the type of revenue to support these contracts. So the contracts will go down and professional golfers will then ask themselves why they would sign up to be employees of LIV and will head back to the PGAT and become contractors who make their own schedules again.

LIV just is not sustainable.

I don't see LIV lasting simply because the business plan is faulty. It is predicated on throwing gobs of money at golfers that is unsustainable. By unsustainable I mean that, sure, the Saudis have the money to keep throwing at this but at some point human nature kicks in and an ROI is expected, or at least you tire of throwing money into a pit. The current contracts thrown out by LIV are not based on any economics and are artificial. Even if LIV gains sponsors, TV contracts, completely takes out the PGA, and becomes self-sustaining, the game of golf does not generate the type of revenue to support these contracts. So the contracts will go down and professional golfers will then ask themselves why they would sign up to be employees of LIV and will head back to the PGAT and become contractors who make their own schedules again.

LIV just is not sustainable.
I completely agree, except that you and I are thinking of this the way an American would - as capitalism. The Saudi's might look at it as just another luxury yacht in which there is no ROI computation. It's just a pretty thing that they can point to and say, "Yep, that's mine".

I don’t think of it at all. What do you think of it?
SMH. Why would I spend a second on this?
I think it shows Trumps true loyalties. And I would think if you voted for someone twice who claimed to put America first, that you would be mildly interested in this.

Reactions: littlez
Read an article today that said tickets to the last event were selling for $1 on stubhub. Still would cost you five bucks though with the mandatory fees though. No TV contract, no sponsors, and little ticket revenue. Yet astronomical payouts. Seems sustaining....

Also their daily all inclusive hospitality package is ridiculous. $1500 per person per day. Or 4 grand for the whole weekend. Good luck with that part too.

I think it shows Trumps true loyalties. And I would think if you voted for someone twice who claimed to put America first, that you would be mildly interested in this.
He’s a former POTUS. I don’t know what Bush and Clinton think of it either. Should I?

The way I see it, it doesn’t matter who goes to play on the LIV tour. The Major tournaments will always be the the pinnacle of golf. No matter what.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT