ADVERTISEMENT

Can this be true?

Have folks NOT read some of my posts ... I've posted the stats of our QBs, contrasting the performance in the 1st half of the season and the 2nd half of the season. The productivity in terms of scoring (especially via the passing game) was completely lacking.

I've regularly termed it the "tale of the two halves ..." (of the season).

Through the first half of the season, with a clean pocket, we saw "good Spencer" ... a Spencer that exhibited improved play. However, the second half of the season ... who knows what we saw?

I've attempted fathom possible pathways for causation, and here are elements that I think comprise some of the story:
  • Folks critical of the QB play have a solid critique when emphasizing that a lot of our O (particularly in the first half of the season) benefited from short fields that resulted from turnovers (especially INTs). It's probably not a coincidence that our O had better luck scoring when we had a healthy defensive secondary than when we had an injured one. In the latter part of the season, with Moss injured and out, with Roberts dinged, and Hankins dinged too ... we didn't have nearly the same rate of INTs that we had through the first 6 games.
  • It's well documented ... but our OL issues ... both in terms of health (physical, mental, etc) and experience contributed to problems with our OL play.
  • Since the OL was young - they likely were slow to adapt to new things that they saw from opposing Ds. Once defenses had a bunch of tape on our young O-linemen ... then they were better able to exploit them. That same advantage wasn't present at the start of the season.
  • I'm the first to admit that as a fan ... I expected less of a transition at WR. Given the experience that Tracy and Ragaini gained in '19 and the production that had since ... I thought that the loss of Ihmir and Brandon would barely be felt. I was wrong! To exacerbate deficiencies we saw in our WR play ... Tracy seemed to have a crisis of confidence that ultimately led to him earning fewer snaps as the season progressed. Bruce, Johnson, and Jones rightly earned increasingly more snaps ... but they were still comparatively less experienced. So you benefit from their positive attributes ... but you also have to suffer from their deficiencies too. (young players WILL play young)
  • At TE, we were inexperienced beyond LaPorta. Furthermore, LaPorta's blocking still needs work - so that made some of his play not quite as 2-dimensional.
  • While I truly appreciated Goodson as a Hawkeye RB ... as a QB, I would have had concerns about him in pass-pro. While he did show some improvement in that area ... it probably wasn't enough to inspire a ton of confidence.
  • The QB play certainly was somewhat deficient ... but the psychological side of the game for the QBs is where the Hawks particularly had issues. If you don't trust your protection ... if the WRs aren't on the same page as you ... then the ball can come out at the wrong time (or the WR can be in the wrong place) ... and the passing game becomes increasingly disjoint.
So yeah ... you look at the QB numbers through the latter part of the season and it was not pretty. Way more interceptions than TD passes. It's almost a wonder that we won more games than we lost.

Yes there were multiple reasons. QB and OL 2 of them. But least with OL you can point to some guys being young like richman and Colby who are only going to get better. 2 years of watching Petras and some think he’s magically going to make a giant leap in his production going into his 5th year? Sorry not buying it. as much as I wish it happens if there is improvements not holding my breath for anything drastically happening.

Also us fans who question going into next year of status quo at QB aren’t the only ones questioning not bringing in competition. Plenty of other outside media outlets have questioned KF’s decision on not looking for help to improve that position to compete for starting job and how weak the play from qbs was last year.

Again, who’s expecting a huge leap from Spencer? He’s only 22/23 so it’s certainly not impossible…but I’m hoping if he’s starter that’s because he did improve, not because Padilla or Labas failed to catch him. I’ve missed these media outlets questioning Kirk not bring in transfer QBs, though no one knows for sure he didn’t either.

Clearly, Kirk and co are of the opinion that the tweaks they’re making to the passing game, plus development, better health, will result in the improvements we’re all hoping for.

I have more confidence in myself trying to land a prime Halle Berry than I do in Petras leading us anywhere.

Reactions: littlez
I have more confidence in myself trying to land a prime Halle Berry than I do in Petras leading us anywhere.
I guess that remains to be seen.

His overall performance last season left a lot to be desired. Certainly not what you would expect from a second year starter. Granted, some of the blame can be shared by others (the OL, coaching staff, etc.).

While there are a very few who don’t care about Spencer’s stats as long as the Hawks win games, the overwhelming majority see the deficiencies and want improvement. I hope he does. I for one am rooting for him.

Reactions: iowaflash
Geez. It is May and season ended more than four months ago. You must be a really rabid fan to finally figure out this stat.
No one happy with those results but they did happen for various reasons

I'd never really thought about it in that specific and graphic terms. Creates an entirely new confidence in my prediction that Joe Labas will be the starting QB no later than game 3, if not game 1.

Seriously, has that even happened since the sainted John Hayden Fry arrived at Iowa?

Have folks NOT read some of my posts ... I've posted the stats of our QBs, contrasting the performance in the 1st half of the season and the 2nd half of the season. The productivity in terms of scoring (especially via the passing game) was completely lacking.

I've regularly termed it the "tale of the two halves ..." (of the season).

Through the first half of the season, with a clean pocket, we saw "good Spencer" ... a Spencer that exhibited improved play. However, the second half of the season ... who knows what we saw?

I've attempted fathom possible pathways for causation, and here are elements that I think comprise some of the story:
  • Folks critical of the QB play have a solid critique when emphasizing that a lot of our O (particularly in the first half of the season) benefited from short fields that resulted from turnovers (especially INTs). It's probably not a coincidence that our O had better luck scoring when we had a healthy defensive secondary than when we had an injured one. In the latter part of the season, with Moss injured and out, with Roberts dinged, and Hankins dinged too ... we didn't have nearly the same rate of INTs that we had through the first 6 games.
  • It's well documented ... but our OL issues ... both in terms of health (physical, mental, etc) and experience contributed to problems with our OL play.
  • Since the OL was young - they likely were slow to adapt to new things that they saw from opposing Ds. Once defenses had a bunch of tape on our young O-linemen ... then they were better able to exploit them. That same advantage wasn't present at the start of the season.
  • I'm the first to admit that as a fan ... I expected less of a transition at WR. Given the experience that Tracy and Ragaini gained in '19 and the production that had since ... I thought that the loss of Ihmir and Brandon would barely be felt. I was wrong! To exacerbate deficiencies we saw in our WR play ... Tracy seemed to have a crisis of confidence that ultimately led to him earning fewer snaps as the season progressed. Bruce, Johnson, and Jones rightly earned increasingly more snaps ... but they were still comparatively less experienced. So you benefit from their positive attributes ... but you also have to suffer from their deficiencies too. (young players WILL play young)
  • At TE, we were inexperienced beyond LaPorta. Furthermore, LaPorta's blocking still needs work - so that made some of his play not quite as 2-dimensional.
  • While I truly appreciated Goodson as a Hawkeye RB ... as a QB, I would have had concerns about him in pass-pro. While he did show some improvement in that area ... it probably wasn't enough to inspire a ton of confidence.
  • The QB play certainly was somewhat deficient ... but the psychological side of the game for the QBs is where the Hawks particularly had issues. If you don't trust your protection ... if the WRs aren't on the same page as you ... then the ball can come out at the wrong time (or the WR can be in the wrong place) ... and the passing game becomes increasingly disjoint.
So yeah ... you look at the QB numbers through the latter part of the season and it was not pretty. Way more interceptions than TD passes. It's almost a wonder that we won more games than we lost.

Hmm. First 5 games: Indiana (overhyped bust) ISU (ditto), Kent State, Colorado State, and Maryland. Might that have had something to do with the offense not being broken vs the last 9 games. PSU, Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan, Kentucky, Minny, even Nebby were better than any of those first 5 teams.

In the final season under Greg Davis, the Hawkeyes beat Michigan in 2016, they rushed for 164 yards. In 2019 at Michigan, it was 1, and even if you add the minus-65 the eight sacks pulled out, it's still not a fish you're going to hang on the wall.

After 2020, Scott Dochterman talked about improvement in the running game, one of the positives of 2020, was the 1-2 punch of Tyler Goodson and Mekhl Sargent.

Last year, Iowa had a revolving door of offensive lineman. It was reported, only Tyler Linderbaum was healthy around the bye week, after the first loss 24-7 against Purdue on Homecoming.

Iowa MUST improve their running game in 2022. The offense is built first at the offensive line.

Like the game at Michigan, Purdue in 2021 was blowing up Iowa line of scrimmage and disrupting any resemblance of a competent passing attack.

Too much disruption on game.

One benefit in 2022 will be an additional year of development. Iowa did lose Tyler Linderbaum, but their is some potential in 2022.

Offensive line

2022 post-spring depth chart projection: LT Mason Richman, soph., 6-6, 296; LG Tyler Elsbury, soph., 6-5, 301;C Logan Jones, soph., 6-3, 282; RG Connor Colby, soph., 6-6, 298; RT Jack Plumb, sr., 6-7, 296

Others in contention: G/T Nick DeJong, jr., 6-6. 292; G Justin Britt, jr., 6-4, 302; C Mike Myslinski, r-fr., 6-3, 278; T David Davidkov, r-fr., 6-6, 292; G/T Beau Stephens, r-fr., 6-6, 300

Others: C/G Matt Fagan, sr., 6-5 287; T Tyler Endres, jr., 6-6, 295; G Josh Volk, soph., 6-4, 308; G/T Gennings Dunker, r-fr., 6-5, 291; G Griffin Liddle, r-fr., 6-3, 267; T Jack Dotzler, true fr., 6-6, 260; G/T Kale Krogh, true fr., 6-5, 270

Key losses: C Tyler Linderbaum (NFL), G Kyler Schott (NFL), G Cody Ince (retired)

The line remains awfully green and could start four sophomores. It will take time for the unit to gel and perhaps multiple linemen will get a crack with the first team early in the season. The realistic best-case scenario is for the line to stay healthy and weather some tough moments early but remain intact. Then by late October, the group should solidify and gain traction in time to face five straight divisional foes. - Scott Dochterman

KF is 100% completely accountable for the anemic QB and offensive play. He's the head coach. Its laughable to me that KF gets zero credit for the elite defensive play and special teams.
So give a coach credit for consistently putting up half a team to play sports. That what Iowa football been for quite some time now.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Link to anyone who thinks our offense was great......I'll go about my business, waiting would be futile.
This kind of stuff is ridiculous. There are multiple threads during the season when we got to number 2 or 3 in the country where people were very skeptical of how we were winning and Petras’s play but getting shrugged off because we were winning. The bottom line is it caught up to us big time. Whether it’s poor QB play, bad O line play, poor scheme, etc I don’t know. But it’s been a problem for a long time. To just keep saying that’s football, or we need to execute better, etc gets tiresome. At some point Brian and Kirk need to get the offense figured out. We need to score points. I’m tired of watching our defense year in and year out playing their asses off only to get worn down because our O can’t get a key 1st down.

When reading the OP I assumed that TD is synonymous with endzone and the question is if Iowa QBs made passes that were so bad the ball partially broke the ground of the endzone as if it were trying to pass 'through' it; the other possibility is that the passes were so bad it ignored any possible receiver and sailed 'through' the endzone with no chance of being caught. If either of these were the question, I would think that 4 is a huge understatement.

This kind of stuff is ridiculous. There are multiple threads during the season when we got to number 2 or 3 in the country where people were very skeptical of how we were winning and Petras’s play but getting shrugged off because we were winning. The bottom line is it caught up to us big time. Whether it’s poor QB play, bad O line play, poor scheme, etc I don’t know. But it’s been a problem for a long time. To just keep saying that’s football, or we need to execute better, etc gets tiresome. At some point Brian and Kirk need to get the offense figured out. We need to score points. I’m tired of watching our defense year in and year out playing their asses off only to get worn down because our O can’t get a key 1st down.

O....K.....not sure what this has to do with my post responding to this:

a few people of questionable intelligence think it's great and if you don't like it you can find another team

Did I miss someone saying our offense was great? I certainly never said that.

O....K.....not sure what this has to do with my post responding to this:

Did I miss someone saying our offense was great? I certainly never said that.
There appear to be posters who think recognizing the various issues that combined last year to break the offense in particular seems to conflate that with otherwise thinking the offense is good.

So give a coach credit for consistently putting up half a team to play sports. That what Iowa football been for quite some time now.

And that’s what’s really crazy not only has he put up half a team to play sport he’s put up one of the 15 best “whole” teams. Pretty remarkable isn’t it….!

Reactions: kceasthawk
There appear to be posters who think recognizing the various issues that combined last year to break the offense in particular seems to conflate that with otherwise thinking the offense is good.

Again, really dumb people….these aren’t guys solving problems in their real life!

No and I mean NOOOOOOO, it’s not ridiculous because that is what gets said… They said multiple people defended the offense & they said we were OK with it…never has that happened….

and what the fc$&k were we supposed to be doing while we were ascending to number two in the country, yelling, screaming throwing, a fit saying….no no no no we’re not number two or three, no or offense sucks….I mean what the f$&@k some of you guys are just dumb!

We threw for 12 touchdowns (just above Army) and then also threw for 11 interceptions. Ohio State throws for 46 touchdowns while also throwing less interceptions (8). My god we are horrendous in the pass game. Something interesting is that Wisconsin was in the same boat so no wonder they were down this year even though they still have a good RB to lean on.

I know we say this often on here but thank god for Phil Parker. With even a mediocre defense we may not get to a bowl game.

2nd best offense in the big ten in 2020

2nd best offense in the big ten in 2020

Using 2020 for any argument is meaningless. It was an asterisk. Teams were limited in what they could practice or if they could practice at all. States like Michigan and Pennsylvania shut down completely. Bragging up Iowa's 2020 offense is akin to ISU being regular-seaon conference champs and winning a NY6 bowl against a 4-2 team missing most of its key players.

That covid is a magic virus. Only impacted other teams.

It was handled differently in different places. When Navy played BYU in the first game of the season, they had not had a full-contact defensive scrimmage. PSU, Michigan, MSU, Wiscy, even Minny were shadows of themselves in 2020.

It was handled differently in different places. When Navy played BYU in the first game of the season, they had not had a full-contact defensive scrimmage. PSU, Michigan, MSU, Wiscy, even Minny were shadows of themselves in 2020.

Shadows huh…fortunately we had a better coach and better processes I guess, right?

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
That covid is a magic virus. Only impacted other teams.
Or that teams who had fewer cases and teams didn't lose key players played and had better records, i.e. teams like ISU, NW and IU compared to teams that battled cases and depleted rosters like PSU, Michigan or MN really struggled. Minus Waggoner Iowa was one of the lucky ones not losing many players.

Hmm. First 5 games: Indiana (overhyped bust) ISU (ditto), Kent State, Colorado State, and Maryland. Might that have had something to do with the offense not being broken vs the last 9 games. PSU, Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan, Kentucky, Minny, even Nebby were better than any of those first 5 teams.
Kent State and Colorado State obviously weren't particularly impressive ... however, you're being more than a little revisionist in your labels of Indiana and Iowa State. Indiana was an ejection of McFadden from beating Cincinnati ... and that was AFTER the Hawks demoralized them. Between a team implosion due to unmet expectations AND the fact that they were ravaged by injuries at the QB position ... that's why IU underwhelmed last year. As for Iowa State ... they far from sucked ... they'd have slow starts on O and then couldn't quite pull it out then in close games. Not unlike Indiana ... part of their folding may have due, in part, due to their failure to meet expectations that they had for themselves in the pre-season.

When the Hawks faced Maryland (a team that ended up going bowling) - they were unbeaten, confident, and got the Hawks at College Park. Iowa, of course, ended up thumping them and renaming their QB.

When the Hawks faced Penn State ... the Nittany Lions were undefeated ... and had earlier victories over Auburn and Wisconsin (the pre-season favorite of the B1G west).

Given that the Hawks, themselves, have some notoriety for coming out of the gates slowly at the starts of seasons ... what the Hawks did in the first half of the season was quite impressive.

I won't dispute you insofar that many of the teams we faced in the latter portion of the season were darn good ... Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan being especially decent. Our much hated enemy, Purdue obviously deserves plenty of respect too. However, I wouldn't be too quick to be lauding Nebraska or Illinois.

Kent State and Colorado State obviously weren't particularly impressive ... however, you're being more than a little revisionist in your labels of Indiana and Iowa State. Indiana was an ejection of McFadden from beating Cincinnati ... and that was AFTER the Hawks demoralized them. Between a team implosion due to unmet expectations AND the fact that they were ravaged by injuries at the QB position ... that's why IU underwhelmed last year. As for Iowa State ... they far from sucked ... they'd have slow starts on O and then couldn't quite pull it out then in close games. Not unlike Indiana ... part of their folding may have due, in part, due to their failure to meet expectations that they had for themselves in the pre-season.

When the Hawks faced Maryland (a team that ended up going bowling) - they were unbeaten, confident, and got the Hawks at College Park. Iowa, of course, ended up thumping them and renaming their QB.

When the Hawks faced Penn State ... the Nittany Lions were undefeated ... and had earlier victories over Auburn and Wisconsin (the pre-season favorite of the B1G west).

Given that the Hawks, themselves, have some notoriety for coming out of the gates slowly at the starts of seasons ... what the Hawks did in the first half of the season was quite impressive.

I won't dispute you insofar that many of the teams we faced in the latter portion of the season were darn good ... Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan being especially decent. Our much hated enemy, Purdue obviously deserves plenty of respect too. However, I wouldn't be too quick to be lauding Nebraska or Illinois.

Those first five juggernauts went a combined 26-38 last season. Indiana was 0-9 in conference and Maryland was 3-6. Nebraska's defense was better than any defense Iowa faced in the first five games. ISU's "best-ever" team finished 5-4 in the pillowfight league. CSU was bad enough their coach didn't finish the season. Kent gave up 52 to Wyoming in their bowl game.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
And that’s what’s really crazy not only has he put up half a team to play sport he’s put up one of the 15 best “whole” teams. Pretty remarkable isn’t it….!
To bad the play level at 15 is no were good enough to be more the a gatekeeper.

To bad the play level at 15 is no were good enough to be more the a gatekeeper.

Well for a 5-7 year stretch it’s been pretty good…. Id guess there are about 110 or 115 other teams that would like to be that gate keeper…anything else?

Reactions: F5n5
Why aren't you OK with that? You are the one always telling everyone how foolish it is to complain about anything. The coaches are always right so obviously the offense is just what they intend week in and week out.
He said not one person was ok with that stat. I provided an example of one person that was. Of course, he never acknowledged being proven wrong…..because he’s always right. That’s why I put him back on ignore. Anyone who disagrees with him or has a different opinion….he calls dumb and stupid. I have stopped wasting my time with arrogant, hateful people.

He said not one person was ok with that stat. I provided an example of one person that was. Of course, he never acknowledged being proven wrong…..because he’s always right. That’s why I put him back on ignore. Anyone who disagrees with him or has a different opinion….he calls dumb and stupid. I have stopped wasting my time with arrogant, hateful people.
That is not what happened you are literally crazy man… Your quoted point was ambiguous at best & You told me you put me on ignore why the hell would I respond to that?

There is a litany of people that follow very closely with my thinking and they’re pretty intelligent guys so where dies that leave you…LOL

Reactions: F5n5

So just for review there is not one person in this thread who thinks impartially, fairly and without gross excruciating emotion like you that thinks anyone is OK with that stat.

Now what ?!

That is not what happened you are literally crazy man… Your quoted point was ambiguous at best & You told me you put me on ignore why the hell would I respond to that?

There is a litany of people that follow very closely with my thinking and they’re pretty intelligent guys so where dies that leave you…LOL
Reread post #32. Even the person I referenced agreed by liking it. You were wrong. But your ego refuses to allow you to acknowledge it. I also said I took you off ignore.

A “litany” of people follow very closely with “your“ thinking? LOL! Can your head get any bigger? LOL! I am not a psychiatrist but I am fairly certain you suffer from an overestimated self importance. The earth revolves around the sun, not you! LOL!

Your vocabulary word for today: humility. Learn it. Live it.

And those that agree with you are intelligent, so that means you think everyone who disagrees with you is stupid? Don’t try to deny it……your post history says so.

I know you fancy yourself a great debater. Because you like to tell others that they have no debate skills. I have judged high school debate for over a decade (they obviously think I do well, or they wouldn’t keep asking me back). Trust me: you are no debater. Most of these kids would wipe the floor with you. Whenever you call someone stupid or dumb…..you automatically lose. Even high school kids are smart enough not to resort to name calling in a debate.

Again….you claimed not ONE person was ok with Petras’s stats last year. I provided an example of one. You were wrong. Be a man and admit it……for once.

And if the person in my example thinks I made an erroneous assumption, then let him say so. Unlike some people, I have no problem admitting when I am wrong. Even so, I have personally spoken with multiple fans who don’t care about Petras’s stats. They only care that the Hawks win. To say that every, single Hawk fan is unhappy with Spencer’s stats, as you claim (“Not one, even ONE person is okay with that stat”), is ludicrous.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT