ADVERTISEMENT

Can this be true?

So just for review there is not one person in this thread who thinks impartially, fairly and without gross excruciating emotion like you that thinks anyone is OK with that stat.

Now what ?!
Again….you claimed not ONE person was ok with Petras’s stats last year. I provided an example of one. I have also personally spoken with fans who don’t care about his stats….only wins. You were wrong. Put your enormous ego aside, be a man and admit it……for once.

Back on ignore you go, because you still haven’t learned. But I’ll let you have the last word, because that is really important to you (I won’t read it, so you will just be talking to yourself. But all the intellectual giants who follow you so close will approve, I’m sure). But hear this: not everybody who disagrees or has a different opinion than you is wrong. Or dumb. Or stupid. And you are not always right.

Everything we hear is an opinion not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective not a truth. Open your mind not your mouth.

Bye!

Last edited:
Hmm. First 5 games: Indiana (overhyped bust) ISU (ditto), Kent State, Colorado State, and Maryland. Might that have had something to do with the offense not being broken vs the last 9 games. PSU, Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan, Kentucky, Minny, even Nebby were better than any of those first 5 teams.
Yeah and he wasn't even good in those games except Maryland.

and what the fc$&k were we supposed to be doing while we were ascending to number two in the country, yelling, screaming throwing, a fit saying….no no no no we’re not number two or three, no or offense sucks….I mean what the f$&@k some of you guys are just dumb!
Well, they would have been right! The numbers don't lie! Tell me a team that finished in the top 5 that had an offense ranked very near the bottom of the sport.

If you win all your games, wtf do stats matter?
Exactly! I may be unhappy with Petras’s numbers at times, but winning games trumps stats…..always!

But……cmhawk says “Not one, even ONE person is okay with that stat.” I guess he was wrong. He’ll be along soon to admit it, I’m sure. He’s a very humble guy.

Last edited:
Of course stats matter.
of course stats matter. We were 5-0 and then guess what, it caught up to us. While Iowa wins ugly (a lot) when you throw 4 TD’s in your last 9 games stats matter. The rest of your game, whether it’s the defense, the special teams, etc have to be almost perfect. And our special teams and defense are almost always good, and last year our special teams were exceptional. We need better QB play, period. And I don’t care who it is, I don’t think asking for 15Td’s and 5-6 picks is asking for to much. Honestly in our offense 20 TD’s should be the norm for an able bodied QB.

Yeah and he wasn't even good in those games except Maryland.
That's exaggerated. Through the first 6 games he had 9 TDs to 2 INTs. That also includes a PSU game where he passed for 2 TDs and 200 yards ... against a totally legit D.

Given our D and punting ... that is winning football.

I'm not trying to claim that Iowa's O was even good ... nor am I arguing in favor of Spencer being our QB for the '22 season. However, I am saying that many fans have turned a blind eye to improvements that Spencer HAD shown through the first half of last season ... and have implemented a revisionist take based on hindsight gained by ISU's and IU's record. However, both of those Ds were salty as hell and BOTH of those teams were fighting hard ... because they still had something to fight for.

Heading into the Maryland game - I was pretty nervous ... largely because Maryland's man coverage was really physical and was keeping prior QBs to reasonably low completion percentages. I didn't expect Spencer to have the success that he had against them.

In close games ... when the Hawks lose ... when I make arguments utilizing stats to indicating how close the Hawks were in the game ... the "sky is falling" maintain that only the scoreboard matters.

However, when it suits their narrative ... they'll promote all the stats they want.

The same folks who claim that they can judge our QB play just based on their "eyeballs" and what they saw in games ... did their eyeballs miss all the missed blocks? How about all the times when the WRs weren't where they were supposed to be? The truth is ... most fans are as dumb as shit ... the QB is the most visible position on the field ... so he's the easiest target (along with the coaching staff).

Well for a 5-7 year stretch it’s been pretty good…. Id guess there are about 110 or 115 other teams that would like to be that gate keeper…anything else?
Participation awards for everyone no point for actually aiming for the best

Participation awards for everyone no point for actually aiming for the best

So, every football team get the same trophies? You know what happens when you don't win-your coach gets fired.

C'mon Reece Bobby you don't really mean there's no difference between a double digit national ranked team playing for the 11th win and Team # 127? Would you feel no greater enjoyment at the end of last year as you did after Kirk F's first season?

So, every football team get the same trophies? You know what happens when you don't win-your coach gets fired.

C'mon Reece Bobby you don't really mean there's no difference between a double digit national ranked team playing for the 11th win and Team # 127? Would you feel no greater enjoyment at the end of last year as you did after Kirk F's first season?
But we’re getting away from the original post which you actually made. You can only go so far with an offense as inept as ours was last season. The fact that we won 10 games with our QB’s throwing 4 touchdowns and 9 int’s down the stretch says more about the brilliance of our special teams and Phil Parker than anything else. Do you really feel any confidence in Petras (or the offense in general) more this year than the last 2 years? We will win 7-9 games because our defense will be loaded again. Is what it is I guess.

For comparison, Stanzi's last 3 years had 14, 17, and 25 passing TDs. This is Petras 3rd year (starting now) and last year he threw 10 TDs. I will admit the Oline was awful and he probably could have had maybe - maybe - 5 more. Still a long ways to 25. And comparing him to Stanzi perhaps isn't fair. Most who complain about Spencer just wonder - What if -??? we had a QB like Stanzi. (A line would help too! LOL)

That's what makes last year's record so incredible.

Absolutely horrendous play from the most important position on the field and PP's guys save the season.
Special teams legit too!

Pretty much everyone but a pathetic offense..

Took you off ignore and saw this post. Here’s ONE for you: f5n5 from 3/22/22:

I want a quarterback that wins football games.. and thats what Spencer Petras does.
"stats are for losers"

Sounds to me like he is ok with it. In fact, he is probably the biggest Petras fan on this site. There are more, but not going to waste time on a p*ssing match.
He's a dumbass lol

KFF
KF is 100% completely accountable for the anemic QB and offensive play. He's the head coach. Its laughable to me that KF gets zero credit for the elite defensive play and special teams.
Kf 100% deserves credit for defense, however when he has his son running one of the worst offenses in the COUNTRY he deserves even more blame for that nonsense!!

Posters who think there are some of us who are okay with what we got out of the offense last year are either not bing honest o re deliberately misrepresenting our posts. The offense the last half of the season was broken. Poor quarterback play, the inability of the o line to develop, get healthy, etc., inconsistent play from the receivers, etc.

all any of us have said is that when you blame Petras, or Kirk or Brian for the offensive woes, its simply fair to point out it wasn’t just one thing.
How do you not blame the head coach and his OC son when practically the whole offense was mediocre or worse???? That is absurd!

Barta has 2 Football coaches that report to him. The younger one should have a hot seat at about the same temperature and the coach in Lincoln. If the Offense does not improve drastically this next year the younger one should go. With or with out permission of the older one.
Kirk is a good coach and I want him to stay but Promoting his son to OC was a mistake and if he cannot see that it is in the best interest of Iowa to have a different OC then i am sorry but he needs to do what he needs to do.

Reactions: nbanflfactory

Well we didn't win all our games. In the games against great opponents, we not only lost, we weren't competitive. You can absolutely steal wins with defense alone, but against the best teams, that's not going to work and your offense has to be competent.

Our best win last year was basically Minnesota, and Petras didn't play in that game.

So you saying he was good or "not too bad"?
If a game with a qbr of 54 and comp% under 55 is the best example, that is not good. No debating that
It's more a statement about the interesting "Money-ball" style that Kirk has built this program ... the O doesn't have to do too much for us to win!

Reactions: iowaflash
We threw for 12 touchdowns (just above Army) and then also threw for 11 interceptions. Ohio State throws for 46 touchdowns while also throwing less interceptions (8). My god we are horrendous in the pass game. Something interesting is that Wisconsin was in the same boat so no wonder they were down this year even though they still have a good RB to lean on.

I know we say this often on here but thank god for Phil Parker. With even a mediocre defense we may not get to a bowl game.
It must be well documented--somewhere--that KF is only involved in offense and has no bearing on the strength and success of the defense.

Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough...

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
How do you not blame the head coach and his OC son when practically the whole offense was mediocre or worse???? That is absurd!

Where did I say that? I have repeatedly said that Brian and Kirk get their share of the criticism. Just pointing out that injuries, especially on the line, played a major factor, as well as inconsistent play (to put it mildly) from both quarterbacks, dropped passes, etc.

Neither I, nor anyone else thinks those two don’t deserve their fair share of criticism. Just also pointing out that other factors beyond their control played a role as well.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
It's more a statement about the interesting "Money-ball" style that Kirk has built this program ... the O doesn't have to do too much for us to win!
Just stop it. Money ball is built around analytics and I’m guessing we aren’t high on that. Which I’m fine with by the way.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
It must be well documented--somewhere--that KF is only involved in offense and has no bearing on the strength and success of the defense.

Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough...
Nobody is saying that for the millionth time. Yes, he gets credit for the defense. So why can’t he (or with the help of his assistants) just develop a top half of the country offense. Top half. Please.

Where did I say that? I have repeatedly said that Brian and Kirk get their share of the criticism. Just pointing out that injuries, especially on the line, played a major factor, as well as inconsistent play (to put it mildly) from both quarterbacks, dropped passes, etc.

Neither I, nor anyone else thinks those two don’t deserve their fair share of criticism. Just also pointing out that other factors beyond their control played a role as well.
Injuries, dropped passes, etc are all part of the game. If you’re Iowa you’re constantly developing players. Is what it is. We’ve been hearing forever about the “next” group of receivers. Make the game easier. It just shouldn’t be that hard.

Reactions: nbanflfactory
A team's level of play is always reflected in its final statistics. Modern IT allows such micro analysis as identifies things like number of firsts downs, from where and how....so stats even determine who and how all the big plays are made.

The ten Iowa wins were produced by a fabulous defense and special teams. The stats show the offense was awful. Still ten wins are always a very good season at Iowa.

z-for the record, I do not have confidence that Spencer will have a "special season" next year. It would be a nice sunset story but not likely. Much more likely the two older QBs just fade into the background of the Joe Labas era early in the season. Word on the street is there are simplifications being made. The overly complex theory does explain some common problems.

Brought in a new guy and maybe the coaches and players are listening to another song.

Here's a good comparison of Iowa's recent QB play. Spencer's best game would be a routine performance for Nate Stanley.

Last edited:
Nobody is saying that for the millionth time. Yes, he gets credit for the defense. So why can’t he (or with the help of his assistants) just develop a top half of the country offense. Top half. Please.
You need to read the boards more often...

What oc doesn't deal with that?

Reactions: littlez
What oc doesn't deal with that?

Injuries, dropped passes, etc are all part of the game. If you’re Iowa you’re constantly developing players. Is what it is. We’ve been hearing forever about the “next” group of receivers. Make the game easier. It just shouldn’t be that hard.

All in the same season? Our depth on the oline wasn’t what we expected going into last year with Kallenberger leaving the program, the usual graduations, transfer or two, and then injuries during the year, as well as a new line coach…all took a greater cumulative toll that nobody could really have anticipated, and quite honesty as fans, we’d gotten spoiled with good line play for the most part the past several years.

As for the rest, a lot of things went wrong last year, most coaches would have struggled with that. Brian, who has mixed results at best as OC, certainly deserves his share of the blame, but not all of it. On occasions where he did have good game plans setup, players also failed to execute. Could have easily had 14 points in the first two drives against Michigan for example.

Well we didn't win all our games. In the games against great opponents, we not only lost, we weren't competitive. You can absolutely steal wins with defense alone, but against the best teams, that's not going to work and your offense has to be competent.

Our best win last year was basically Minnesota, and Petras didn't play in that game.
stats only matter if you lose?
are you braindead?

All in the same season? Our depth on the oline wasn’t what we expected going into last year with Kallenberger leaving the program, the usual graduations, transfer or two, and then injuries during the year, as well as a new line coach…all took a greater cumulative toll that nobody could really have anticipated, and quite honesty as fans, we’d gotten spoiled with good line play for the most part the past several years.

As for the rest, a lot of things went wrong last year, most coaches would have struggled with that. Brian, who has mixed results at best as OC, certainly deserves his share of the blame, but not all of it. On occasions where he did have good game plans setup, players also failed to execute. Could have easily had 14 points in the first two drives against Michigan for example.
Much of last year's offensive woe was the product of the better offensive players youth. We started two freshmen on the line and the two best receivers. The offense will be better because the line will improve and our QBs and receivers will be better.

The coaches aren't going to accept another season of the P&P QBs. Every time KF has been faced with replacing QBs he's gone with the younger, stronger arm and mobility. Beathard over a very good Jake R. Ricky over an OKish Jake C. Nate jumped a much higher rated recruit and into starting, in part because of the cannon. They aren't going to protect either of the older guys. Better times are ahead on the offensive side of the ball.​

Just stop it. Money ball is built around analytics and I’m guessing we aren’t high on that. Which I’m fine with by the way.
Money ball is built on analytics ... yes. However, part of those analytics are finding metrics that translated to wins and losses.

You're not familiar with the Iowa program if you don't realize all the data that they tabulate on the team. They're always scoring and evaluating player execution/performance and things like that.

Just because the Hawks are supposedly "schematically old fashioned" ... some folks seem to think that that means that Kirk only goes with his gut. That really doesn't characterize the state of affairs - at all!

The way that Ferentz and the program goes about its business ... it does so in GRANULAR detail. That attention to detail ... the acquisition of data ... and the utilization of the data to inform decisions (personnel and otherwise) is ALL at the heart of moneyball.

Two things:

1) Some types of QB weakness are fixable, some types of weaknesses are not. It was obvious after only his first 2 or 3 games that SP had too many of the non-fixable type of weaknesses to ever be a consistent performer. Yet, even, after that season, so many expected improvement and had a laundry list of excuses like no spring practice, etc. Really clueless takes.

We don't know if Labas is the answer, but in the meantime, Padilla has a much higher upside than SP.

2) With more experience at OL and WR and different style RBs, I expect the offense to find some success in early games. But later, against better teams, those teams will effectively counter those successes. We then, never react by recognizing that a defense's shift in one direction, creates weaknesses in another direction. Instead of countering, we just keep trying to do what we've been doing. We have offensive ignoramuses and won't even get to average with a Ferentz running the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT