ADVERTISEMENT

Can white students/parents integrate successfully into a minority-dominant school?

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
As I stated in @joelbc1 's public school thread, we moved our son to a Charter school that focuses on social emotional learning, but is also populated by 70% disadvantaged kids. The CEO/Superintendent's goal is to have a more diverse population; however, the longer my (only white kid in his class) son is there, the more I'm realizing us "rich white folk" may not be a fit.

- Monday, my son was being teased by another girl for his "trashy blond hair", "ugly blue eyes", and "rabbit teeth". Okay, not big deal that's what kids do. We used it as a teachable moment. Hell, my middle daughter went to high school that was only 17% white and she was one of two white girls on her dance team. Her experiences aided in her living a color blind life.

- My no-pics wife is on the interview panel for a new Principal search. Today, she was told one of the primary concerns for the Principal they are interviewing today is that "She's white".

This brings so many questions to mind. Can we ever have a truly integrated society as long as there are have and have nots? What do I have in common with parents who aren't educated and are living in poverty? Should I be ashamed I have a education, a great career, etc.? I worked hard for these things, they weren't given.

Originally, my wife and I were excited for the opportunity to be part of this school knowing our financial status will enable us to serve those in need--we've already been donating our time & money and looking for ways to help. But if we're going to be looked at as just some "rich out of touch white people", I'm not sure how much good we can do.

I grew up lower-middle class and have lived pay-check-to-paycheck before having the power company turn off the lights every-other-month, so I get it, but I'm not sure how to handle this new wrinkle. That hasn't been my life for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinehawk
As a mixed race person, I feel as though there are advantages/disadvantage both ways.

Yes, poor poor white people and the awful suffering we're going thru these days.
Ignore the "click bait title", Bel. Now that you're here what are your thoughts on the actual topic? Should the color of the principal candidate be a factor? If this was a primarily white school and the principal candidate was black I sure as hell don't think that should be a factor in that case either. Do you?

You need to be able to have these discussions w/o all the condescending rhetoric.

As a mixed race person, I feel as though there are advantages/disadvantage both ways.
Explain.

I live in San Antonio, so there's a low white population and even lower African American population. The soccer team I coach is 50/50 white and Hispanic, so demographics do shift depending on what side of town you live on. My son's school is located in the inner city; intentionally built in a low-income area.

She's 22 now. (and no pics) My oldest (24) went to a high school that was only 24% white. I believed this was a great thing and still do.
Wow that’s quite the spread in age of your children. I really think there are advantages to both. I am only 1/8th black, but is noticeable. I dont think it ever really held me back.

No, it is not a bad thing to be white because despite things like this, white people still have huge advantages as a group (there are plenty of poor and disadvantaged white people that are often forgotten in everything). However, if this all stems from the comments about a Principle search, there are data based reasons for what they said. First, anytime you are hiring for a position you have a set of qualifications in mind. It gets dicey when you start talking about the racial stuff but there are mountains of evidence showing that minority students perform better with minority teachers. Minority teachers are far more likely to want to work at a school with minority administrators. If you have a high population of black or hispanic students, then as a board, you want to hire someone that is going to be able to recruit faculty that will best address the needs of the student population. The reasons for that are many, but it just might be as simple as who the kids and faculty trust the most. Clearly you live in an area with a heavy...um, well, calling a minority a majority is kind of an oxymoron, but you get the point.

So, in a school with a large black or hispanic population, it would be following that data. Of course, this also opens up a whole other angle that would not be considered ok (well wouldn't white administrators be better for majority white schools?) and I don't have the answers for those nor am I trying to convince anyone that what they are doing is acceptable. I'm just saying it isn't out of left field and there is data to support it. That doesn't necessarily make it ok though. I'm not sure what I actually think about the issue other than I'm glad I'm not someone who has to make that kind of decision.

Wow that’s quite the spread in age of your children. I really think there are advantages to both. I am only 1/8th black, but is noticeable. I dont think it ever really held me back.
Different mom's. ;)

Glad that never held you back.

Ignore the "click bait title", Bel. Now that you're here what are your thoughts on the actual topic? Should the color of the principal candidate be a factor? If this was a primarily white school and the principal candidate was black I sure as hell don't think that should be a factor in that case either. Do you?

You need to be able to have these discussions w/o all the condescending rhetoric.
Why would you make a "click bait title" if you wanted me to ignore it?
Why would I reward you with real conversation instead of condescension for starting the thread that way?

No, it is not a bad thing to be white because despite things like this, white people still have huge advantages as a group (there are plenty of poor and disadvantaged white people that are often forgotten in everything). However, if this all stems from the comments about a Principle search, there are data based reasons for what they said. First, anytime you are hiring for a position you have a set of qualifications in mind. It gets dicey when you start talking about the racial stuff but there are mountains of evidence showing that minority students perform better with minority teachers. Minority teachers are far more likely to want to work at a school with minority administrators. The reasons for that are many, but it just might be as simple as who the kids trust the most. Clearly you live in an area with a heavy...um, well, calling a minority a majority is kind of an oxymoron, but you get the point.

So, in a school with a large black or hispanic population, it would be following that data. Of course, this also opens up a whole other angle that would not be considered ok (well wouldn't white administrators be better for majority white schools?) and I don't have the answers for those nor am I trying to convince anyone that what they are doing is acceptable. I'm just saying it isn't out of left field and there is data to support it. That doesn't necessarily make it ok though. I'm not sure what I actually think about the issue other than I'm glad I'm not someone who has to make that kind of decision.
That's a great perspective, I hadn't considered that. The founder of the school is Hispanic, but my son's 3rd grade teachers (he has 7, like in Middle school) are a WIDE range of white, black, Hispanic, LGBTQ, female, male, etc. The founder had done a magnificent job at hiring a very diverse staff. I think because of that diversity, I was surprised by the "white" comment. What you've pointed out does have merit, though.

And no, it's not just that comment. It's other behaviors from the kiddos to my son. He has access to things others don't, karate lessons, soccer, STEM camps, etc. that he's proud of. However, I think when he talks about these things it bothers his peers. So it's likely more of an affluency issue than the color of his skin (sans the little girl's comments)

Thanks for the input...exactly the type of discussion I was seeking.

Why would you make a "click bait title" if you wanted me to ignore it?
Why would I reward you with real conversation instead of condescension for starting the thread that way?
Read BioHawk's response and quit getting all out of sorts. He understands the topic and has participated sans triggering.

p.s.
I edited the title just for you.

It is the responsibility of Whites to help end the obvious racism that is everywhere still to this day that was established by us.
I have lots of questions, Chis:

- What are your thoughts on reverse racism?
- Is racism a case of "the white man started it"? If so, how do we end it?
- Do you believe white people are racist or racists are racist?

Read BioHawk's response and quit getting all out of sorts. He understands the topic and has participated sans triggering.

p.s.
I edited the title just for you.
Your title is still click bait. Your issues is socio-economic but you're trying to make it race. You don't have anything in common with the majority of the people in the school, but it's not because of the amount of melanin in your kids.

It is the responsibility of Whites to help end the obvious racism that is everywhere still to this day that was established by us.
Unfortunately racism isn’t going away anytime soon, and it is a two way street, it’s not just whites who discriminate.
It’s up to the adults of today to teach their children properly, and we all know that isn’t happening!
You need no more proof than all the hatred spread on this forum, it’s disgusting and shameful!

Reactions: Hawk_82
Your title is still click bait. Your issues is socio-economic but you're trying to make it race. You don't have anything in common with the majority of the people in the school, but it's not because of the amount of melanin in your kids.
Then lets discuss that.

I've said that for a long time that the bigger issue plaguing this country is income gap, with racism being the scape goat. So is this a case of that, once again disguised as racism or what @BioHawk stated--a minority principal will be better received by minorities. If that's the case, though, what hope do we have for a truly colorblind society?

No, the thread title is no longer click bait. That's just your opinion.

Then lets discuss that.

I've said that for a long time that the bigger issue plaguing this country is income gap, with racism being the scape goat. So is this a case of that, once again disguised as racism or what @BioHawk stated--a minority principal will be better received by minorities. If that's the case, though, what hope do we have for a truly colorblind society?

No, the thread title is no longer click bait. That's just your opinion.
lol - you've " said that for a long time that the bigger issue plaguing this country is income gap, with racism being the scape goat" and then you start a click bait thread blaming racism against whites for your problems. Do you hear yourself?

Unfortunately racism isn’t going away anytime soon, and it is a two way street, it’s not just whites who discriminate.
It’s up to the adults of today to teach their children properly, and we all know that isn’t happening!
You need no more proof than all the hatred spread on this forum, it’s disgusting and shameful!
I disagree. My dad was racists. My wife's biological father is still a HUGE racist. We are teaching our kids differently, so there is change. Like Bill Maher has stated on more than one occasion it's okay to celebrate how far we've come while still acknowledging there's work to do.

As stated above, we figure out the extreme income gap and much of the racism fades. I live on a very diverse street/neighborhood where racism really doesn't exist. Why? We're all on equal pay terms.

Reactions: Rudolph and Hawk_82
lol - you've " said that for a long time that the bigger issue plaguing this country is income gap, with racism being the scape goat" and then you start a click bait thread blaming racism against whites for your problems. Do you hear yourself?
You just want to argue, while everyone else around you wants to have a discussion (sans ClaridaA's). Do you hear yourself? [edited]

Yes, my original title was admittedly click bait. It's been changed.

Additionally, if someone doesn't realize the issue is income and not race, but acts based on race, then the issue on the surface IS race. This is where the education gap comes to play. Will my family be outcasts because A. skin color, B. income level, C. education, D. not at all

Personally, I find it all very interesting, but at the same time frustrating. I'm candid here with my frustration, but not in my interactions at the school. For example, I (obviously) would never say, "Should I be ashamed of my accomplishments." However, that statement has context. My middle child didn't invite her friends over often. I asked her why. She said, "Dad, I don't want my friends to think I'm a rich white girl." Most of her friends lived in 1 story, entry-level homes. We do not.

[edited]
Her first boyfriend lived downtown in a neighborhood with bars on the windows, and the highest documented crime rate in the city. That was not easy to navigate when we told her she wasn't allowed down there after dark without coming across as racists...it was all about safety.

Last edited:
You just want to argue, while everyone else around you wants to have a discussion. Do you hear yourself.

Yes, my original title was admittedly click bait. It's been changed.

Additionally, if someone doesn't realize the issue is income and not race, but acts based on race, then the issue on the surface IS race. This is where the education gap comes to play. Will my family be outcasts because A. skin color, B. income level, C. education, D. not at all

Personally, I find it all very interesting, but at the same time frustrating. I'm candid here with my frustration, but not in my interactions at the school. For example, I (obviously) would never say, "Should I be ashamed of my accomplishments." However, that statement has context. My middle child didn't invite her friends over often. I asked her why. She said, "Dad, I don't want my friends to think I'm a rich white girl." Most of her friends lived in 1 story, entry-level homes. We do not.
Again, your problem is socio-economic as pointed out by your child. But you continue to try to see reverse racism in the situation. And you blame me for reacting to how you started the thread. Perhaps you're this way in real life and that's part of your perceived problems.

My grandson grew up in a small town north of the burgh 5% black. In his soph yr he tried out for the Pittsburgh Jots, an AAU traveling BB team where he was one of 5 whites on the team. This helped him for the next 10 years as he accepted a D-1 FB scholly for 4 years and then 5 years NFL where he was in the minority. He made many black friends in college and the NFL.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Again, your problem is socio-economic as pointed out by your child. But you continue to try to see reverse racism in the situation. And you blame me for reacting to how you started the thread. Perhaps you're this way in real life and that's part of your perceived problems.
Not trying to see it, asking if I am seeing it. Does an 8 year old Hispanic girl know why she's making fun of another student's hair color, eye color, etc.? What influence is her parents having on her? I don't have the answer, but reverse racism does occur, even if its misplaced. What's the solution? Tell the little girl, don't dislike my son because he's white, dislike him because his parents make more money than yours (yes that's asinine).

Perhaps I'm what way in real life? Inquisitive? Admittedly not a know-it-all and ask questions? If you're just referring to the thread title, you must be new here. You either know how to bring people in or you don't ;)

In the end, though, I think @BioHawk provided the best answer...something I hadn't considered, but maybe should have.

My grandson grew up in a small town north of the burgh 5% black. In his soph yr he tried out for the Pittsburgh Jots, a AAU traveling BB team where he was one of 5 whites on the team. This helped him for the next 10 years as he accepted a D-1 FB scholly for 4 years and then 5 years NFL where he was in the minority. He made many black friends in college and the NFL.
How gracious of him 🙄

do you believe in this derivative of "white man's burden" Chris?
Racism exists both ways.....I can only be responsible for my actions.....not the other guys. I can "teach" my kids what I believe is right.....What they decide to do with this "knowledge" is not my responsibility....My guilt perhaps but not my responsibility.

How gracious of him 🙄
I don't think that was meant as an intentional act to go make black friends...my take was allowing yourself to partake in a diverse and immersive situation (school, neighborhood, job, etc.) the natural outcome is you have a more diverse group of friends. Most of my daughter's school friends/boyfriends were Hispanic. That wasn't some goal of hers, but a biproduct of where she chose to go to school (yes, she had a choice).

Reactions: franklinman
do you believe in this derivative of "white man's burden" Chris?
Racism exists both ways.....I can only be responsible for my actions.....not the other guys. I can "teach" my kids what I believe is right.....What they decide to do with this "knowledge" is not my responsibility....My guilt perhaps but not my responsibility.
I believe in fact and history being taught factually and acknowledging that systematic racism still prevalent to this day. I also agree with what you said as well in doing the right thing individually.

ADVERTISEMENT