ADVERTISEMENT

Can white students/parents integrate successfully into a minority-dominant school?

do you believe in this derivative of "white man's burden" Chris?
Racism exists both ways.....I can only be responsible for my actions.....not the other guys. I can "teach" my kids what I believe is right.....What they decide to do with this "knowledge" is not my responsibility....My guilt perhaps but not my responsibility.
Thank you, Joel, for showing up. Before your arrival, the usual suspects of libturds were embarrassing themselves on a topic many never seem to be able to handle with any maturity.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I guess grammar is subjective to culture also (and education), right? We had a new parent orientation and sat on the same row as a dad who looked to be in his early 20s with face tattoos and the stereotypical clothing ensemble to boot. He didn't say much, but when he spoke it wasn't always easy to understand what he said.

Absolutely it would. However, I don't know what I would have in common with the man I mentioned above; not because of his race, but because of his life experiences (and age). Our nextdoor neighbors are Hispanic and we are great friends. --Income level equality + common interests.

Not sure I fully understand this one, but it was a white woman (with black children) who made the comment about the white candidate. They did interview her with a 3/2 split (in favor of) and the white woman wound up still not liking the white candidate.

I absolutely agree. So far, we've been providing support through the teachers and staff. Buying supplies, donating for fundraisers, etc.

It's actually our son. He loves his teachers, but is struggling to connect with other kids and that's been a combination of:

- The little girl teasing him about his hair color, eye color, etc.
- A little boy who said, "your soccer team sucks, karate sucks, & your sensei sucks" (and other situations like this).

I know why the first one happened, but I think the second one happened because my son is proud of his involvement in those activities and is used to sharing them with his friends who are engaged in the same activities. Heck, half his classmates (from his previous school) are at the same dojo. But these kids can't afford it, so they're likely jealous and that's how they're reacting--like a normal kid would.

Basically, our son is finally getting the enrichment he desperately needed from teachers and staff, but struggling to make friends. Not surprisingly, his one close friend is white. "Dad, he's really the only kid who's nice to me."
Sorry, I read the OP yesterday and forgot some detail. I think in regards to your son there's probably some elements of both B and A, in that order. When he talks about experiences others can't afford, and they've been conditioned to believe that's a signal of white privilege (implicitly or overtly), it's not helping your son's cause. It's a tough situation, but IMO the underlying race problem has risen to the surface because of the socioeconomic difference. Once inequality is established though, they feed each other.

Your daughter gets it socially. Not wanting to bring friends over because she doesn't want to be seen as the rich white girl. This is a learned social skill, some never get it. She probably isn't going to talk about her vacation much with her friends, for example.

RE the principal, when white people bag on white people for being white it's a different animal. It could be the candidate is trying to look woke knowing they're a white candidate for a job where the students don't look like them. They're trying to say "I don't look like you but I'm like you." (Which is irresponsible and would eliminate this candidate for me). Could be they're trying to virtue signal that they're not racist by being race-aware. Who knows. It's really hard to find good educators these days, so maybe a 3-2 vote is good enough to hire, but I'd have serious reservations.

One thing I'm fairly certain of, your kids are going to be resilient adults after this experience. I think you're right to be asking all the questions you are though. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: alaskanseminole
I agree.

How so? I'm the son of a bi-polar and schizophrenic father who lost his job every 5-7 years due to a manic episode while my mom who was only a church secretary tried to hold everything together while he was in the mental hospital recovering, only to get out, find new work and spend the next several years digging us out of debt. Wash, rinse, repeat. He's 74 (no pics) and still going through this mess.

I've been working since I was 14 and held 2-3 jobs simultaneously until I made E-5 in the Air Force and finally was able to quit the 2nd job at the jewelry store in the Anchorage mall. Trying to reflect hard to see where I was handed something because of my whiteness.

Let me guess, that time the cop let me off for speeding instead of shooting me was my sliding door moment that put me on the successful path I'm on today?
Research who received the Benefits of the GI Bill for decades and who didn’t.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Yes, poor poor white people and the awful suffering we're going thru these days.
🙄 and there it is. Only two responses in. One is not allowed to bring up any concerns as a white person because people like BelemNole thinks that being white means a person’s life is great and the only problems you have in life are because of your privilege.

🙄 and there it is. Only two responses in. One is not allowed to bring up any concerns as a white person because people like BelemNole thinks that being white means a person’s life is great and the only problems you have in life are because of your privilege.
Oh, please explain all the disadvantages you’ve suffered in life due to your whiteness. Please be specific.

Oh, please explain all the disadvantages you’ve suffered in life due to your whiteness. Please be specific.
Whatever I say will never be good enough to justify my life and childhood as the only thing you consider a barrier is color. I can’t tell you the vast number of resources provided to help black students in schools and many don’t utilize. Their is a huge difference in Black children with two parents in the home and those without. Of course, you will blame broken black families on our judicial system. You have an agenda that their is no equality and that black people struggle not because of their choices but because of white people. That is your fault, not mine. I think successful black people would laugh at you as I am now.

Whatever I say will never be good enough to justify my life and childhood as the only thing you consider a barrier is color. I can’t tell you the vast number of resources provided to help black students in schools and many don’t utilize. Their is a huge difference in Black children with two parents in the home and those without. Of course, you will blame broken black families on our judicial system. You have an agenda that their is no equality and that black people struggle not because of their choices but because of white people. That is your fault, not mine. I think successful black people would laugh at you as I am now.
I didn't see anything in this post that described any disadvantages you suffered personally from being white. Maybe I missed them. Can you highlight them for me.

I didn't see anything in this post that described any disadvantages you suffered personally from being white. Maybe I missed them. Can you highlight them for me.
You are stuck in the 50’s and 60’s. Let me know when you are ready to talk about the effects of out of wedlock births, single mothers raising multiple kids, a lack of education, and poor choices. I live in a neighborhood of 500k-700k homes with several black families. I work two jobs and many times 70-80 hrs a week. One of them had the most expensive home in our area. What do think their kids, education, and marriage are like? What do you think their choices were like?

Stop blaming the white man for other peoples problems. I’ll spell it out for you. This is 2022. I don’t believe a person suffers from skin color but from the negative choices their parents made and the personal choices made throughout one’s life. Many kids are born with huge obstacles to overcome and it’s not their color.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dvs9021
I'm not sure how this turned into a white people can be disadvantaged too thread, but that's not what I was discussing.

"Can white students/parents integrate successfully into a minority-dominant school?" When white people are looked at through the lens of privilege, then can they truly integrate with minorities; especially those who are underprivileged or disadvantaged.

I think there's been some great responses in this thread.

You are stuck in the 50’s and 60’s. Let me know when you are ready to talk about the effects of out of wedlock births, single mothers raising multiple kids, a lack of education, and poor choices. I live in a neighborhood of 500k-700k homes with several black families. I work two jobs and many times 70-80 hrs a week. One of them had the most expensive home in our area. What do think their kids, education, and marriage are like? What do you think their choices were like?

Stop blaming the white man for other peoples problems. I’ll spell it out for you. This is 2022. I don’t believe a person suffers from skin color but from the negative choices their parents made and the personal choices made throughout one’s life. Many kids are born with huge obstacles to overcome and it’s not their color.
You seem to have a reading disorder. I haven't asked you about the demographics of your neighborhood or the socioeconomic challenges of african-americans. I've asked you (three times now) to list any disadvantages you suffered personally from being white. It should be simple. Bullet list is fine.

You seem to have a reading disorder. I haDo you think there is a reason
You seem to have a reading disorder. I haven't asked you about the demographics of your neighborhood or the socioeconomic challenges of african-americans. I've asked you (three times now) to list any disadvantages you suffered personally from being white. It should be simple. Bullet list is fine.
Well let’s see, I would have gotten accepted to many colleges if I were black. I would have gotten much more of my school paid for if I were black. Also, being an educated black person, the number of jobs available to me would be wide open, also. Outside of that, I have done well for myself with hard work and two parents that fought out of welfare when I was younger.

Tell me the disadvantages of simply being black. Do you think the skin color makes them 20X more likely to die by gun violence than whites? That blacks 15-34 make up 37% of homicides in 2021 and yet are only 2% of the population? You are good at deflection and not making people accountable for their choices.

like I said, you like to blame race for problems instead of personal choices.

Well let’s see, I would have gotten accepted to many colleges if I were black. I would have gotten much more of my school paid for if I were black. Also, being an educated black person, the number of jobs available to me would be wide open, also. Outside of that, I have done well for myself with hard work and two parents that fought out of welfare when I was younger.

Tell me the disadvantages of simply being black. Do you think the skin color makes them 20X more likely to die by gun violence than whites? That blacks 15-34 make up 37% of homicides in 2021 and yet are only 2% of the population? You are good at deflection and not making people accountable for their choices.

like I said, you like to blame race for problems instead of personal choices.
Are you saying you didn't get accepted to college because you were white? Which colleges rejected you because you weren't black? Which jobs turned you down because you were white?

• Haha
Reactions: herkyhawk00
My mother lived a full life. A s she aged, occasionally, her filter would fall away and things would be said that were "unlike" things she would eve say.
I remember one day she speaking to a group of friends and she said something along the lines that the luckiest break she ever had was the fact that she was born white in the United States of America, An uncomfortable silence filled the room, I remember.

As I stated in @joelbc1 's public school thread, we moved our son to a Charter school that focuses on social emotional learning, but is also populated by 70% disadvantaged kids. The CEO/Superintendent's goal is to have a more diverse population; however, the longer my (only white kid in his class) son is there, the more I'm realizing us "rich white folk" may not be a fit.

- Monday, my son was being teased by another girl for his "trashy blond hair", "ugly blue eyes", and "rabbit teeth". Okay, not big deal that's what kids do. We used it as a teachable moment. Hell, my middle daughter went to high school that was only 17% white and she was one of two white girls on her dance team. Her experiences aided in her living a color blind life.

- My no-pics wife is on the interview panel for a new Principal search. Today, she was told one of the primary concerns for the Principal they are interviewing today is that "She's white".

This brings so many questions to mind. Can we ever have a truly integrated society as long as there are have and have nots? What do I have in common with parents who aren't educated and are living in poverty? Should I be ashamed I have a education, a great career, etc.? I worked hard for these things, they weren't given.

Originally, my wife and I were excited for the opportunity to be part of this school knowing our financial status will enable us to serve those in need--we've already been donating our time & money and looking for ways to help. But if we're going to be looked at as just some "rich out of touch white people", I'm not sure how much good we can do.

I grew up lower-middle class and have lived pay-check-to-paycheck before having the power company turn off the lights every-other-month, so I get it, but I'm not sure how to handle this new wrinkle. That hasn't been my life for a long time.
The whole premise of this thread lost any and all credibility by referencing that old **** Joel or Joe or whatever he is.

Nope as an Uncle to half White and half Black kids I fully understand the past, present and their current future as I try to help improve it.
What are you doing to help improve your mixed race nieces/nephews future? Having anger explosions on message boards will not help them...

What are you doing to help improve your mixed race nieces/nephews future? Having anger explosions on message boards will not help them...
I do much more than that and the majority of my posts here are current details and facts. People who find that I'm exploding in anger are Trumpers who are void of a conscience and facts.

I do much more than that and the majority of my posts here are current details and facts. People who find that I'm exploding in anger are Trumpers who are void of a conscience and facts.
What do you do then? You sidestepped that question... the fact that this board has actual threads about your mental well-being, leads me to believe that the majority of this board thinks you are unhinged. You have almost 40,000 posts in a little over 2 years... that is a lot of time behind the computer screen having outbursts.

Lol it's always gotta be about Trump or "trumpers" with you. You are a fraud with mental issues.

Reactions: NCHawk5
What do you do then? You sidestepped that question... the fact that this board has actual threads about your mental well-being, leads me to believe that the majority of this board thinks you are unhinged. You have almost 40,000 posts in a little over 2 years... that is a lot of time behind the computer screen having outbursts.

Lol it's always gotta be about Trump or "trumpers" with you. You are a fraud with mental issues.
The United States is on the brink of collapse, the Email lady warned us in 2016 and she couldn't be more accurate. I served my country and swore an oath to uphold and protect the Constitution which was NOT what occurred 2016-2020. I appear "unhinged" because I am aware of what was happening years ago and still to this day.

The United States is on the brink of collapse, the Email lady warned us in 2016 and she couldn't be more accurate. I served my country and swore an oath to uphold and protect the Constitution which was NOT what occurred 2016-2020. I appear "unhinged" because I am aware of what was happening years ago and still to this day.
You post tweets here and was in the National Guard. Got it, I see a bright future for your nieces and nephews.

You post tweets here and was in the National Guard. Got it, I see a bright future for your nieces and nephews.
What do you provide? I see nothing this far? The National Guard ran the show in the GWB era of failure. The Reserves and National Guard deployed as much as the regular Army/Marines/Air Force during the failed Iraq era. You keep criticizing, critiquing and judging with no burden or care. Easy.

What do you provide? I see nothing this far? The National Guard ran the show in the GWB era of failure. The Reserves and National Guard deployed as much as the regular Army/Marines/Air Force during the failed Iraq era. You keep criticizing, critiquing and judging with no burden or care. Easy.
Wtf are you even talking about? I asked you what are you doing to help your mixed race nieces and nephews have a brighter future? In the mind you have, white people will keep them down and you turned it into patting yourself on the back for being in the national guard. What is going on in that brain you might not have?

Reactions: Chuck C and NCHawk5
Wtf are you even talking about? I asked you what are you doing to help your mixed race nieces and nephews have a brighter future? In the mind you have, white people will keep them down and you turned it into patting yourself on the back for being in the national guard. What is going on in that brain you might not have?
You attacked the National Guard in your spewing of nonsense. I vote Democrat which is the baseline protection of my family and country. You keep being a hateful person and attacking ahole provider of nothing. I've noticed that you are good at that. Be Best.

You attacked the National Guard in your spewing of nonsense. I vote Democrat which is the baseline protection of my family and country. You keep being a hateful person and attacking ahole provider of nothing. I've noticed that you are good at that. Be Best.
When did I say anything critical of the National Guard? You are a sick in the head. I am sure you were a pleasure to serve with...

When did I say anything critical of the National Guard? You are a sick in the head. I am sure you were a pleasure to serve with...
Again personal attacks and providing nothing. Sick in the head claims appear to be projection from you and you were condescending to the National Guard here. Tough guy

Again personal attacks and providing nothing. Sick in the head claims appear to be projection from you and you were condescending to the National Guard here. Tough guy
How is saying you were in the National Guard being condescending? Get help. The last hour of you posting has been all over the place. I honestly feel bad for you. Go to the VA and get a psychological evaluation. I am dead serious about that.

Reactions: Chuck C and NCHawk5
How is saying you were in the National Guard being condescending? Get help. The last hour of you posting has been all over the place. I honestly feel bad for you. Go to the VA and get a psychological evaluation. I am dead serious about that.
Lol. Your National Guard post was condescending 101. You stand for and provide nothing but personal attacks on people. I'm thankful I'm not you.

Lol. Your National Guard post was condescending 101. You stand for and provide nothing but personal attacks on people. I'm thankful I'm not you.
Alright, agree to disagree. So far, my family has not disowned me yet and I have not been made a mockery of on a message board due to my "raging" yet.

You keep fighting the good fight! I will be interested to see what has become of you after Kim Reynolds is re-elected governor of Iowa and a dominant night for the GOP at the mid term elections. I think your head will probably finally explode in 2024 when a GOP candidate wins the presidential election.

Your kids will probably be racists based on your definition of racism. You are subjecting them to daily abuse and somehow think they will magically think white people are the problem. Good luck with that. I imagine they are ready to put you in a home already

Your kids will probably be racists based on your definition of racism. You are subjecting them to daily abuse and somehow think they will magically think white people are the problem. Good luck with that. I imagine they are ready to put you in a home already
Who was this addressed to?

ADVERTISEMENT