ADVERTISEMENT

Cancelling college football is NUTS!

r448chlpo

All-Conference
Mar 8, 2017
Powell, Ohio
Most college age students have no symptoms ... 7 out of 10 people have no symptoms and only 6% of the people are hospitalized. Limit attendance and card attendees to block attendance of the elderly. We have to live with this virus one way or anyone and destroying our economy ( and college sports ) is not worth merely postponing when we can get to herd immunity. No Football means no wrestling, baseball, track, golf swimming and no women's spots! It also means I am going to get extreme depressed and may have to turn to illicit drugs. Save my life from destruction; i have a wife, children, two dogs, and a mortgage. This is serious!

Most college age students have no symptoms ... 7 out of 10 people have no symptoms and only 6% of the people are hospitalized. Limit attendance and card attendees to block attendance of the elderly. We have to live with this virus one way or anyone and destroying our economy ( and college sports ) is not worth merely postponing when we can get to herd immunity. No Football means no wrestling, baseball, track, golf swimming and no women's spots! It also means I am going to get extreme depressed and may have to turn to illicit drugs. Save my life from destruction; i have a wife, children, two dogs, and a mortgage. This is serious!

Yep.

Too much common sense here. We are living in a time of irrational fear, media hype, and political non-sense. I think we are all supposed to now just hide in our homes under a blanket, while wearing a mask, with the lights off. That's the only way to "flatten the curve". Unless you need to protest, then it's cool to be in the street with 10s of thousands of others. You can't spread it that way.

We were watching the fear news this morning. ABC. Showed long long lines of cars waiting to get tested for COVID. They interviewed some and they looked perfectly fine. Do we have to get tested or can we assume we have it and just quarantine and go to hospital if needed then? Not much a test is really going to determine other than contact tracing but not for the patient. If you are really sick then get to the hospital. But the media just wants to stoke this fear. I still don't get the test thing and testing people who are handling things okay on their own. Just assume you have it and save tests for those or situations where it is really needed.

We were watching the fear news this morning. ABC. Showed long long lines of cars waiting to get tested for COVID. They interviewed some and they looked perfectly fine. Do we have to get tested or can we assume we have it and just quarantine and go to hospital if needed then? Not much a test is really going to determine other than contact tracing but not for the patient. If you are really sick then get to the hospital. But the media just wants to stoke this fear. I still don't get the test thing and testing people who are handling things okay on their own. Just assume you have it and save tests for those or situations where it is really needed.

Do a nationwide 14 day shut down of everything then open back up is about the only way we can minimize the spread at this point and time.

I think part of the reason seemingly healthy people are being tested is because many companies are requiring people to do a quick health check/assessment at the beginning of the work day. From what i've seen, it basically asks if you have a temperature, any symptoms, been around anyone who has covid, etc. If you answer yes to any of these, you can't work and have to be tested or symptom free for x amount of days. It's basically excused time off and some people don't like to work.

"Scientists who are in the know and colleges like the Ivy Leagues don't know anything! Only I, a random Iowa fan, know what's right."

That's what these daily posts sound like. Just because your particular bubble of the world isn't being affected that much, doesn't mean the rest of the US isn't.

Wear a mask, people. There's a reason the rest of the world is getting over this and we're still halfway through the first wave.

I was just talking to a fella here in the office who officiates softball tournaments. Apparently, there are some big ones coming up in the next couple of weeks in the mountains. When that happens, teams from the blast furnace states show up to get out of the heat, i.e. Texas, Oklahoma and Arizona. The problem is that they can't get umpires, as many of them are retired guys who do this as something to do and they're not willing to take the risk. Looks like they're getting cancelled. It is more than just the players.

Before this turns into a Trump circle jerk you gotta consider that there is a lot more to college football than just the players. Coaches, Refs, hotels, airplanes, etc.

Players are also going about their normal lives: grocery shopping, eating out, etc..
Can I disagree with the President and still think this is a huge overreaction? Or is there no middle ground anywhere? The fact that this is becoming a Republican vs Democrat thing is totally insane. Both radical sides come off like idiots.
Anyway, yes, agree, people are at risk, so I'm not saying people should all pile into close proximity by the thousands. But I don think we can play football and take a lot of safety precautions. And it's not just about my entertainment. Although selfishly, yes I want football, I found out another one of my friends in sports got laid off today. He covers sports in a major market. There are so many people that rely on sports for a living. No sports mean even more lives will be crushed than already have these last several months. At what point is the cure worse than the disease?

"Scientists who are in the know and colleges like the Ivy Leagues don't know anything! Only I, a random Iowa fan, know what's right."

That's what these daily posts sound like. Just because your particular bubble of the world isn't being affected that much, doesn't mean the rest of the US isn't.

Wear a mask, people. There's a reason the rest of the world is getting over this and we're still halfway through the first wave.
First, to be clear, I agree on wearing a mask in public. But I think a lot of the resurgence has to do with thousands of people gathering and protesting in the street, and when we reopened huge parties on beaches and other places where people acted like this never happened. There is a way to cautiously open and not cancel everything, but maybe our country isn't smart enough to figure it out? I don't know, I can't help but think this will get a lot less coverage after the election is over. Probably some miracle vaccine will come out. Who knows for sure?

Reactions: r448chlpo

I am not saying whether your intentions are right or wrong, but what you just did there is a major problem of what you just criticized. You just made a broad, uneducated statement to strengthen your point of view.

The rest of the world is getting over this? Really? Where did you pull that nonsense bit of information from?

1. They have families, and they are not all teenagers and early 20s. Neither are coaches and support staff and administrators.
2. 30% of infected people getting sick would be too many. 6% being hospitalized is too many. And many of the people who do experience symptoms have lung damage that might be permanent and would ruin an athlete's career.

I think part of the reason seemingly healthy people are being tested is because many companies are requiring people to do a quick health check/assessment at the beginning of the work day. From what i've seen, it basically asks if you have a temperature, any symptoms, been around anyone who has covid, etc. If you answer yes to any of these, you can't work and have to be tested or symptom free for x amount of days. It's basically excused time off and some people don't like to work.

My job is to process workplace accommodation claims for a large retail corporation. I have decided well over 1,000 claims related to masks so far, looked at almost that much medical and you are full of shit. People are crying, pleading and begging to work. They have kids to feed. They have bills and rent to pay. I know, because I have to hear it and explain why (in some cases) they cannot.

And, more generally, I have been doing this for 6 years. I have processed many tens of thousands of claims. People will half kill themselves to work. Even in states or situations where they are paid while off work, they try to come back sooner than is safe for them.

So, maybe rethink the propaganda you have swallowed about people being lazy.

I can't help but think this will get a lot less coverage after the election is over. Probably some miracle vaccine will come out. Who knows for sure?

If that happens I think you would see a mass exodus of every politician. Social experiments usually have an adverse negative affect on the test subjects
My job is to process workplace accommodation claims for a large retail corporation. I have decided well over 1,000 claims related to masks so far, looked at almost that much medical and you are full of shit. People are crying, pleading and begging to work. They have kids to feed. They have bills and rent to pay. I know, because I have to hear it and explain why (in some cases) they cannot.

And, more generally, I have been doing this for 6 years. I have processed many tens of thousands of claims. People will half kill themselves to work. Even in states or situations where they are paid while off work, they try to come back sooner than is safe for them.

So, maybe rethink the propaganda you have swallowed about people being lazy.

Is it propaganda if I know for fact that people at my work have been given a 2-3 month paid vacation, because they didn't feel safe at work? Only to be seen running around in public with no mask and posting pictures on social media with other people that were not immediate family.

Reactions: pmtdc and hexumhawk
Is it propaganda if I know for fact that people at my work have been given a 2-3 month paid vacation, because they didn't feel safe at work? Only to be seen running around in public with no mask and posting pictures on social media with other people that were not immediate family.
If you then believe this is widespread and a large proportion of people are doing this, yes, you are swallowing propaganda. Like I said, I personally have handled more than 1,000 related claims. And I interact daily and discuss with coworkers who collectively have handled many tens of thousands of claims (just COVID-related) for leave of absence, short term disability and workplace accommodations. And that number would be 'many hundreds of thousands' if we are talking about overall claims, conservatively speaking. I have a very broad view of it. What you are describing is extremely uncommon. It just is.

Do a nationwide 14 day shut down of everything then open back up is about the only way we can minimize the spread at this point and time.
Or just riot, loot and steal! That is ok and certainly flattens the curve! My doctor says, but a couple stolen cars and a couple flat screen tv’s. At least you will feel better and notch off that Christmas shopping early! I guess that’s a common sense approach to all this!! Since I live in PA, I can get cars/ tv’s much easier than you iowa folks! It does cause me stress and anxiety that you Iowa folks are a 1000 miles away and those present would need to be shipped out there!

If you then believe this is widespread and a large proportion of people are doing this, yes, you are swallowing propaganda. Like I said, I personally have handled more than 1,000 related claims. And I interact daily and discuss with coworkers who collectively have handled many tens of thousands of claims (just COVID-related) for leave of absence, short term disability and workplace accommodations. And that number would be 'many hundreds of thousands' if we are talking about overall claims, conservatively speaking. I have a very broad view of it. What you are describing is extremely uncommon. It just is.

I have processed many tens of thousands of claims. People will half kill themselves to work. Even in states or situations where they are paid while off work, they try to come back sooner than is safe for them.

Your words

I said I know people that will (to use your terms) half kill themselves to get out of work, but only your "claims" work? I wasn't stating that EVERY person wants to sit out, just that it is not Propaganda because there is truth to it.

I could have claimed stress due to not feeling safe and got paid while sitting at home too, I would go nuts in 2 days at home.

Reactions: blackandgoldPT
This has been a giant overreaction that has been mainly fueled by the media. Will some people get sick and die - yep. Is that number worth shutting down our way of life and our economy - not even close. In the end we are talking about less then a half of a percent but probably even way less than that.

If you are immune compromised stay home. If you believe your kids shouldn't go to school, keep them home. Nobody is putting a gun to your head. If you want to wait for a vaccine until you rejoin society go right ahead.

Like Red says in Shawshank- you either get busy living, or get busy dying.

This has been a giant overreaction that has been mainly fueled by the media. Will some people get sick and die - yep. Is that number worth shutting down our way of life and our economy - not even close. In the end we are talking about less then a half of a percent but probably even way less than that.

If you are immune compromised stay home. If you believe your kids shouldn't go to school, keep them home. Nobody is putting a gun to your head. If you want to wait for a vaccine until you rejoin society go right ahead.

Like Red says in Shawshank- you either get busy living, or get busy dying.
Yes, Yes, Yes! A thousand times!!

Use common sense to minimize the spread...mask up in public areas or stores, limit time at restaurants and bars to outside patios or pick up only, it’s not hard to do these things so we can have nice things in summer, this fall and into winter.
Unless it is a n95 mask it is not really working. If masks worked why did we shut down the country. Deaths are at twice normal flu rates— if you are health compromised stay home

Back when this started in March I knew some people would be violated and lose their minds if Football was threatened.

The challenge is not knowing. My daughter, a college student, was notified she might have been exposed as she interacted near someone that was positive. Another of our adult children (not living with us) was around her. We had to cancel family plans with both as we are taking care of an in-law with elevated risk. The problem of saying if you are sick, then stay home, is that by the time you know that, you may have already infected others. My daughter got tested the appropriate amount of days after potential exposure and thankfully she was negative for the virus. which allowed us to go forward with other plans with her with some greater since of security that the calculated risk was acceptable. Her potential exposure was a possible impact for the entire family, and by extension people we have been bring near as life goes on. Ostrich approach on head in the sand won't get it done here.

Last edited:
I blame the jerks at the store not wearing masks for the canceling of football this fall. Coma one man, help me out! I want to watch some football!

Last edited:
Reactions: Stranded Hawk
If the Plague or Ebola was running loose in America, we would all be going about our business. However, a virus with a very high survival rate pops up and we're all locked up and sports cancelled. Nuts.......This country has NEVER done anything close to this with Virus's that are big proven killers.

Ebola is a bad example as the death rate is so much higher that outbreaks have burned out more quickly. While Ebola has higher death rate ranging from 25-90% with ~50% average death rate of those who infected by it, https://www.who.int/health-topics/ebola/#tab=tab_1, if my math is accurate, there are less than 13,000 fatalities (all be it gruesome ones) worldwide since the disease was first recorded in 1976. This coronavirus pandemic has already killed over half a million people in the past few months! https://www.google.com/search?q=cor....69i57j0l7.10034j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The mere fact that the death rate is so much lower and so many people ignore it is one of the very things that make is so dangerous and pervasive.

Reactions: nelly02
Ebola is a bad example as the death rate is so much higher that outbreaks have burned out more quickly. While Ebola has higher death rate ranging from 25-90% with ~50% average death rate of those who infected by it, https://www.who.int/health-topics/ebola/#tab=tab_1, if my math is accurate, there are less than 13,000 fatalities (all be it gruesome ones) worldwide since the disease was first recorded in 1976. This coronavirus pandemic has already killed over half a million people in the past few months! https://www.google.com/search?q=cor....69i57j0l7.10034j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The mere fact that the death rate is so much lower and so many people ignore it is one of the very things that make is so dangerous and pervasive.
Actually, if you take out the elderly, the Covid death rate is miniscule. A friend of mine works in an elderly home nearby, she said that about 68% of the people there who contracted Covid died. Those were elderly people with underlying ailments. From what I hear the vast majority of deaths of those not that old have underlying issues. Basically, Covid doesn't kill, it's the heart problem, or lung problem or weakened immune system that kills. The example I used, Ebola has been in the US. This is a nasty virus, and yet no one every discussed locking down the country. I'm 56, diabetic and have not missed a day of work since before the Covid Virus. I would have loved to have a few weeks off, but some one decided I was essential. LOL Anyway, I'm still kicking.......Sometimes willingly. ;) I am convinced that herd immunity is the only way to get past it. Closing down and locking up is only going to prolong it.

Actually, if you take out the elderly, the Covid death rate is miniscule. A friend of mine works in an elderly home nearby, she said that about 68% of the people there who contracted Covid died. Those were elderly people with underlying ailments. From what I hear the vast majority of deaths of those not that old have underlying issues. Basically, Covid doesn't kill, it's the heart problem, or lung problem or weakened immune system that kills. The example I used, Ebola has been in the US. This is a nasty virus, and yet no one every discussed locking down the country. I'm 56, diabetic and have not missed a day of work since before the Covid Virus. I would have loved to have a few weeks off, but some one decided I was essential. LOL Anyway, I'm still kicking.......Sometimes willingly. ;) I am convinced that herd immunity is the only way to get past it. Closing down and locking up is only going to prolong it.

No names I actually know a true case where some died of a head injury. They tested after declared dead and came up positive. Guess what the cause of death was?

Reactions: pmtdc and And1Hawk
There have been 2 cases of Ebola contracted in the US. It's not an easily transmissible virus because the host isn't contagious until they are really sick and you have to have direct bodily fluid contact.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
. ;) I am convinced that herd immunity is the only way to get past it. Closing down and locking up is only going to prolong it.[/QUOTE]

And how many deaths do you find acceptable? Your argument reminds me of the helicopter conversation between the two FBI agents in the movie Die Hard.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
ADVERTISEMENT