ADVERTISEMENT

Candidates/Likely Hires

Elite level of discipline if 24 of their players just got caught for cheating on a exam this year.

That is discouraging behavior for the nation's future protectors. Is there any real option but expulsion? Read a lot about West Point's honor system and that is maybe the worst scandal in the history of our military academy.

Reactions: BDJHawk
I can tell you this. I was an average (B) type student at a Iowa high school, and took the ASVAB, (Armed Services Vocational Apptitude Battery) when I was a junior. Scored in the top 3% of anyone that ever took the test. Had recruiters for all the branches after me for months to sign up. I'm not some Sheldon Cooper either..... o_O
Fyi - Military recruiters are not looking for military academy students.

Ferentz at end of career still has more stability than most head coaches

Coaches are always unsure of status. Nature of the beast

Correct. Going to work for KF, if you are a good coach, is as good a chance of stability as you will get anywhere in college FB. He could easily go another 4-5 years, which is an eternity from a college FB standpoint. The fact that Polasek got a coordinator job at a FBS school (non Power-5) and Foster got a NFL job after being at Iowa should make coming to Iowa very attractive for the right coach.

New OL coach gets to have the best center in the country and a bunch of other 3 and 4-star athletes to work with. The new RB coach gets to coach Tyler Goodson out of the gate. Good positions to come into.

Okay, if KF retires in 2022:

HC ~ Phil Parker (5yr contract)
Ass't HC/OC ~ Brian Ferentz (5yr extension)
DC ~ Seth Wallace
Ass't DC/D-Line ~ Kelvin Bell

A very smooth in-house transition I'd be happy with. This would also allow BF an opportunity to "take over" following PP's short HC career.
How the hell are you gonna totally skip Woods on any of this?

DC ~ Seth Wallace

A very smooth in-house transition I'd be happy with. This would also allow BF an opportunity to "take over" following PP's short HC career.

I just dont see phil as HC. i predict new blood.

Reactions: Harbinger273
The Ferentz hate is irrational. I could be a little off here but I think Iowa has been 4th, 5th, 9th and 2nd in total offense since Brian arrived. Since that Wisconsin loss in 2019 its also become much less predictable and more targeted to getting playmakers the ball rather than playmakers just filling widget holes in a system.

Weird season but we played as close to full season as anyone and Iowa finished second in total offense with very mediocre play at QB in 20.

Plus the team records' have increased from 8 to 9 to 10 wins in full seasons and 6-2 in a partial season, so .750. Firing the offensive coordinator does not seem like the logical consequence of those results.

Accused of racial mistreatment along with Doyle. But you already knew that or you were in a coma for a year.
So accused is convicted and hung now? Again, what exactly did he say or do racist? You seem to have facts as state as such. What was said? What was racist?

If he’s a D-Hole there are plenty of those per my previous post as examples of equally shitty or worse D-Holes.

Please enlighten me on this vast widespread racism. He played with majority black players his whole life. Coached NFL 70% black players and he comes to Iowa and is all the sudden a racist? I’m listening, I’m learning still.

So accused is convicted and hung now? Again, what exactly did he say or do racist? You seem to have facts as state as such. What was said? What was racist?

If he’s a D-Hole there are plenty of those per my previous post as examples of equally shitty or worse D-Holes.

Please enlighten me on this vast widespread racism. He played with majority black players his whole life. Coached NFL 70% black players and he comes to Iowa and is all the sudden a racist? I’m listening, I’m learning still.
Where in my post did I say widespread racism? I said accused of racial mistreatment. There were
accusations from I believe 7 players that pointed fingers at BF.

• Haha
Reactions: Herkyhawk247
Where in my post did I say widespread racism? I said accused of racial mistreatment. There were
accusations from I believe 7 players that pointed fingers at BF.
Again, accused and said what? So before playing college/Pro and coaching Pro no issues and then he comes back to Iowa and he’s racist. People saying they do no want him hired because of these accusations.

So what was said? He did what exactly? I mean the BS against Doyle is speculating that it had racist intent and bias, have yet to see anyone prove he was a racist. But yet he’s branded that and now BF.

A lot of the players said this and that.I haven’t seen anything outright racist. Opinions and feelings yes, but isn’t that a case by case Thing for all peoples on perception and how they/we all see things?

Pretty weak to say he should be gone over nothing. To call both a racist is BS as well. It just is. The media is still running w that Doyle BS back to the ghetto which wasn’t even said by him.

BF did what that’s been proven by anyone and isn’t hearsay? Please enlighten me why he’s called a racist and should be fired already and excluded from the Iowa job. I’m waiting

DC ~ Seth Wallace

You know what ... I think Phil might just be willing to give it a try. The only caveat is that Phil isn't very big on bullshit. My friends who do the Hawkeye cruises indicate that Phil really loves the football side of things ... but really dislikes recruiting and more of the "shmoozing" side of things. That said ... he's a really detail-oriented guy ... and he knows how to get the most out of his guys. I definitely like the thought of a changeover where Phil takes over the mantle.

I truly don't believe that Brian is destined to be the next head coach. Were that to be the undeniable scenario ... then I figure that Polasek probably would have stuck around. I'd bet that Polasek would have been the next in line to take over Iowa OC spot in such an instance. I can only surmise that the writing was on the wall that the OC job wouldn't be up for grabs any time soon ... so Polasek jumped at the opportunity to take the next step in his career.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
You know what ... I think Phil might just be willing to give it a try. The only caveat is that Phil isn't very big on bullshit. My friends who do the Hawkeye cruises indicate that Phil really loves the football side of things ... but really dislikes recruiting and more of the "shmoozing" side of things. That said ... he's a really detail-oriented guy ... and he knows how to get the most out of his guys. I definitely like the thought of a changeover where Phil takes over the mantle.

I truly don't believe that Brian is destined to be the next head coach. Were that to be the undeniable scenario ... then I figure that Polasek probably would have stuck around. I'd bet that Polasek would have been the next in line to take over Iowa OC spot in such an instance. I can only surmise that the writing was on the wall that the OC job wouldn't be up for grabs any time soon ... so Polasek jumped at the opportunity to take the next step in his career.
I like PP as well and feel he is just a private guy and all about the XO not the responsibility of a HC. Will be interesting to see who comes in next and if youth leads me to believe BF is setting up to be next.

I feel Polasek always viewed this as temporary and a chance to learn OL from one of the very best in the biz KF. Nice on the resume as KF highly regarded and thought of.

Accused of racial mistreatment along with Doyle. But you already knew that or you were in a coma for a year.

No coma, just an occasional self-induced stupor. What were the specific alleged acts of "racial mistreatment" that BF committed and where can I find them and the identify of those that made the accusations? If these acts were significant enough for you to make the above statement condeming him then I'm sure they are the kind of acts that you can describe and quantify. I'm not a particular BF fan and I've read the HB report but I must have missed this portion of the report.

DC ~ Seth Wallace

Many things in life I don't know ... but I feel 100% confident in saying Phil Parker will NOT be the next head coach at Iowa. No way. No how.

DC ~ Seth Wallace

Thinking about how mostly internal-modes of succession might work is an interesting consideration.

I know that Ferentz has mentioned that he's attracted to the idea of coaching O-linemen once again. Maybe that is a legit scenario ... where he transitions to being the OL coach after stepping down from the head-coach gig.

Suppose in a few years Brian actually can make a case for the head gig ... then maybe we're looking at the following scenario:

HC - Brian Ferentz (not my preferred scenario ... but one that I could see happening)
- retains mantle as developer of TEs and FBs
OC - ???
QB - Ken O'Keefe (unless he too retires ... which is entirely plausible)
OL - Kirk Ferentz
WR - Kelton Copeland (maybe he aspires for OC gig ... and ascends)
RB - ???

The new big 10 leadership may require one on staff.
They will most certainly push for it, whether it be a true female or whatever the hell Biden put in office.
iu

That is discouraging behavior for the nation's future protectors. Is there any real option but expulsion? Read a lot about West Point's honor system and that is maybe the worst scandal in the history of our military academy.

It's important to recognize that West Point's honor code is unique and has come under criticism
from a range of sources. The code requires that having knowledge of a code violation,
but not reporting it, is itself, a violation. So there can be one cheater, but 10 more violators
simply because they didn't report the one cheater.

The Ferentz hate is irrational. I could be a little off here but I think Iowa has been 4th, 5th, 9th and 2nd in total offense since Brian arrived. Since that Wisconsin loss in 2019 its also become much less predictable and more targeted to getting playmakers the ball rather than playmakers just filling widget holes in a system.

Weird season but we played as close to full season as anyone and Iowa finished second in total offense with very mediocre play at QB in 20.

Plus the team records' have increased from 8 to 9 to 10 wins in full seasons and 6-2 in a partial season, so .750. Firing the offensive coordinator does not seem like the logical consequence of those results.

It isn't irrational. Iowa has been an average offense to slightly above average at time on offense since Brian took over as OC. He has been better on average than GD but that isn't saying much. Defense carries Iowa as usual.
Iowa wasn't second in total offense. They were 8th. But they have made minor improvements in the running game that started to show up last year and some minor improvements in the passing game. I do think he is ok just not great.

Thinking about how mostly internal-modes of succession might work is an interesting consideration.

I know that Ferentz has mentioned that he's attracted to the idea of coaching O-linemen once again. Maybe that is a legit scenario ... where he transitions to being the OL coach after stepping down from the head-coach gig.

Suppose in a few years Brian actually can make a case for the head gig ... then maybe we're looking at the following scenario:

HC - Brian Ferentz (not my preferred scenario ... but one that I could see happening)
OC - ???
OL - Kirk Ferentz
RB - ???
I can't see that happening at all. And I wouldn't be surprised if KOK is the first one of these guys to retire.

Reactions: David1979

OC - ???
OL - Kirk Ferentz
RB - ???
O'Keefe will retire when Kirk retires.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
It isn't irrational. Iowa has been an average offense to slightly above average at time on offense since Brian took over as OC. He has been better on average than GD but that isn't saying much. Defense carries Iowa as usual.
Iowa wasn't second in total offense. They were 8th. But they have made minor improvements in the running game that started to show up last year and some minor improvements in the passing game. I do think he is ok just not great.

Big Ten Conference Even better, second in scoring, since points are literally the most important statistic in most sports.

Arguing about the conservative low scoring offense is one thing. We may never know if the Ferentz low scoring low risk offense won more games than it lost, but its won a lot of games at a school that is not and never will be a FB, 5* kind of recruiting blue blood school. Maybe minimizing risk and a defense also designed to avoid risk is how a less talented kind of program can win 8-10 games a year with a Big Ten schedule. If one's expectations are a BB will grow in Iowa is probably going to be always disappointed.

Opining an OL line coach would be put off by the Ferentz imprint on the game plan is something else, especially coupled with the implication that Kirk has some underlying malevolent personality defect. That's a monumentally Stupid statement-especially for a LINE coaching position. Kirk is among the most respected of coaches in the profession and has produced a lot of NFL linemen. That's just ragging on Kirk and Brian without rational thought.

It's important to recognize that West Point's honor code is unique and has come under criticism
from a range of sources. The code requires that having knowledge of a code violation,
but not reporting it, is itself, a violation. So there can be one cheater, but 10 more violators
simply because they didn't report the one cheater.

Well that is not like 10 guys cheating on a test then. Like to see West Pointers as better than us Joe T. Regular guys.

I can't see that happening at all. And I wouldn't be surprised if KOK is the first one of these guys to retire.

I think when KF hangs it up, so will PP and KOK. Phil has been given multiple offers in the past, as I remember a few years ago either he or KF mentioned as much in an interview/presser setting. As others have stated, I don't think Phil is a kissing hands and shaking babies kind of guy. I think he truly loves what he is doing as an X/O kind of guy, that keeps churning out pro players.

I have a feeling BF will end up being the next head coach, and KF may well take on a "special advisor" role with the OL even after he calls it a career, similar to what his mentor, Joe Moore did. I also agree with the previous poster, that Copeland may well be being groomed to take over as OC in the future.

Reactions: bowlhawk
ADVERTISEMENT