ADVERTISEMENT

Capitalism

• Walmart revenue for the twelve months ending April 30, 2024 was $657.332B, a 5.68% increase year-over-year.
  • Walmart net income for the twelve months ending April 30, 2024 was $18.942B, a 67.64% increase year-over-year.

So Walmart enjoyed 2.88 cents of profit on each dollar of revenue.
Is that atrocious? A moral crime?
Should they earn 1 cent for each dollar of revenue?
If they earn 3 cents for each dollar sold do you light a torch and get a pitchfork?

Is paying investors 9/10ths of a penny for each dollar of revenue the horror of capitalism unmasked?

• Walmart revenue for the twelve months ending April 30, 2024 was $657.332B, a 5.68% increase year-over-year.
  • Walmart net income for the twelve months ending April 30, 2024 was $18.942B, a 67.64% increase year-over-year.

So Walmart enjoyed 2.88 cents of profit on each dollar of revenue.
Is that atrocious? A moral crime?
Should they earn 1 cent for each dollar of revenue?
If they earn 3 cents for each dollar sold do you light a torch and get a pitchfork?

Is paying investors 9/10ths of a penny for each dollar of revenue the horror of capitalism unmasked?
biden drives inflation, it's bidenflation

If you don’t like Walmart, stop shopping there. It’s an incredibly simple concept.
I can’t remember the last time I stepped into a Wal Mart. It’s very easy to avoid in this day and age. I will admit I am an Amazon addict out of pure convenience. I also don’t fault anyone who does shop at wal mart as they do offer a good value for the most part🤷‍♂️

448144286_10228623216459496_1121468854146530772_n.jpg

My financial goal is to make as much money as possible and hoard (retirement) as much as possible. I’m such a greedy pig.
Curious as to why? My parents were able to help me when I was a young adult starting a family. I sure plan to help my children as they leave the nest. I'm hopeful to live a long life, I don't want to have a ton of $ when I die at age 90 when my kids are in their mid-60s. I'd much rather give it to charities or my children as they need it in life.

Curious as to why? My parents were able to help me when I was a young adult starting a family. I sure plan to help my children as they leave the nest. I'm hopeful to live a long life, I don't want to have a ton of $ when I die at age 90 when my kids are in their mid-60s. I'd much rather give it to charities or my children as they need it in life.
Most people “plan” on living a long life. You could die in a car crash today or pancreatic cancer in 3 months.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I am helping my children as they leave nest. I could not have done that without working hard and hoarding (saving). My oldest with Down Syndrome (24) lives with us, I’ve helped my middle son (21) pay for college at the tune of $20k per year and will help my youngest (16) with whatever he chooses to pursue.

My Dad is worth a couple million. When he passed away I would be extremely grateful for whatever inheritance I receive. He’s 84 and I’m 52, so this will give me a boost into retirement. I plan to do the same for my kids.

That's truly awesome. The great part about it is that you have that choice. Hopefully people won't judge you for your choice, and you won't judge them for their choice.

Please explain a better system than capitalism? Have you looked at Nvidia profits? Nothing is better than free market.

Capitalism might not be perfect but it’s far better than any alternative. There is a reason why American economy is/has been the strongest in the world.
We could start with capitalism - but with much less exploitation, less dumping of toxic wastes, no ability to buy politicians and judges, and things like that.

It's the harms capitalism does that turn people off, not the good it's done. Can you have the good without the harm?

We could start with capitalism - but with much less exploitation, less dumping of toxic wastes, no ability to buy politicians and judges, and things like that.

It's the harms capitalism does that turn people off, not the good it's done. Can you have the good without the harm?
No, there will be some level of harm in every economic system. There's also no such thing as pure capitalism because monopolies and monopolistic entities are both allowed and encouraged by governments. Utilities are a great example. There are also industries that have to be regulated, like banking and insurance, because "let the buyer beware" isn't enough, and the general public is becoming more stupid and less responsible every day, and our politicians as well.

I marvel at how a bartender from the Bronx has a vote on how to send $5T of our money.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
No, there will be some level of harm in every economic system. There's also no such thing as pure capitalism because monopolies and monopolistic entities are both allowed and encouraged by governments. Utilities are a great example. There are also industries that have to be regulated, like banking and insurance, because "let the buyer beware" isn't enough, and the general public is becoming more stupid and less responsible every day, and our politicians as well.

I marvel at how a bartender from the Bronx has a vote on how to send $5T of our money.
So your position is that social status should dictate your right to vote? Stay at home moms should just shut up and make sandwiches? A school janitor doesn’t possess the intelligence necessary to vote?

So your position is that social status should dictate your right to vote? Stay at home moms should just shut up and make sandwiches? A school janitor doesn’t possess the intelligence necessary to vote?
He should have said “in Congress”, but I thought that was a given. I don’t necessarily feel the same though. I don’t have a problem with one of the peasants being elected to Congress. Everyone deserves the right to enrich themselves by being a politician.

He should have said “in Congress”, but I thought that was a given. I don’t necessarily feel the same though. I don’t have a problem with one of the peasants being elected to Congress. Everyone deserves the right to enrich themselves by being a politician.
Ahh, I think you are right. He probably believes all politicians should come from money and regular “joes” have no business representing constituents. He’s also been outed as a hypocrite so there is that.

Ahh, I think you are right. He probably believes all politicians should come from money and regular “joes” have no business representing constituents. He’s also been outed as a hypocrite so there is that.
Quite a few of those around here. We should look in the mirror once in a while.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT