ADVERTISEMENT

Car Guys - cruise control issue

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
Just got done with a road trip with TBW. Our vehicle runs just fine; recently crossed 50k miles. Since we traveled a lot of interstate, I had the cruise on a lot. But whenever we went up even modest inclines, the cruise would rev up from about 2500 RPM to 3500 RPM and it would do it in rapid succession so it was very jerky.

Any ideas? Hopefully not a transmission issue. Oh and I know crap about cars so explain this to me like I’m five years old.

Here’s some butts for your trouble.

madi-louch-madi-louch-insta.gif

images

I would have your transmission serviced. New filter and fresh fluid at 50,000 wouldn't be a bad idea anyway. Possibly low on fluid, could be a vacuum issue. May just be the way the PCM is programed.

What kind of vehicle? Our honda pilot did this and treated with transmission flush, but it sounds like tranny. My 06 mazda six did this with 80K miles and was done for.

Welp...here's how I look at it. 2018 appears to have two powertrains - a 2L 147hp w) 6 speed AT - or a "Gamma" 1.6L 175hp turbo w) 7 speed dual clutch AT.

Doesn't appear those are CVT transmissions. Good ol' fashioned slush boxes. But what you're describing is a case where the computer doesn't know what gear to be in when the load on the engine/AT increases.

So...if your vehicle has a manual shift mode, use that. Downshift to a gear to make the climb where the engine pulls you up without issues - then shift back into drive once you level out.

6 speed? Try 5th. 7 speed, try 6th or even 5th gear. Just leave it in the gear it takes to make the climb, then once at the top - shift back into drive.

This stops the back and forth computerized shifting - which means less heat and overall stress on the AT. Every time an AT shifts, more heat is created - and excessive heat KILLS AT's. So...take the decision making out of the mix on climbs.

It ain't gonna hurt a thing as long as you remember to shift back into drive once the climb is completed.

BTW, I've been doing this ever since overdrive AT's came out, and have never, ever had a transmission fail on me. Hell, I've even had several vehicles with 700R4's and 4L60E's (notorious for failing over time)...

Never had one fail on me. Ever.

Just got done with a road trip with TBW. Our vehicle runs just fine; recently crossed 50k miles. Since we traveled a lot of interstate, I had the cruise on a lot. But whenever we went up even modest inclines, the cruise would rev up from about 2500 RPM to 3500 RPM and it would do it in rapid succession so it was very jerky.

Any ideas? Hopefully not a transmission issue. Oh and I know crap about cars so explain this to me like I’m five years old.

Here’s some butts for your trouble.

madi-louch-madi-louch-insta.gif

images
Has it changed recently?

Just pour a readily available bottle of transmission treatment in it and that very often cures such problems. If you have never added any fuild to it over those 50K miles you might just need more fluid. With any vehicle always do the easy(and cheapest) cure first.

Maybe I missed it but does it do the same thing when going up similar inclines and the cruise control is not engaged? It could be a cruise control module or sensor.

Transmission fluid change isn't due yet. Your manufacturer's service manual says 80k if used under 'severe' conditions like hauling stuff with it and such. Otherwise they should just be inspecting the fluid at every oil change after 80k. So you should be fine if anything needs to be covered under a warranty with your cruise control issue. The every 30k from google is from dealers and such that of course would love to service the transmission that often for nice fee.

Last edited:
I called to confirm this morning but we had all the fluids flushed at 50k miles a couple months ago. Set an appointment with the dealer later this month. Fortunately have wrap coverage up to 100k miles so if it’s something really serious, should be covered.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT